Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Jerry Cotton posted:

What's a "3-inch"?

look down and multiply by 3
:flaccid:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Sponge Baathist posted:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Sponge Baathist posted:

My stomach is much more than an inch or 3 inches but it's certainly zero 3-inches.

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I forgot to carry the gut. Just look around it or use a mirror or selfie stick to take a picture.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
I really don't know why I'm mentioning it at this point but what about one of those draw bridge bridges? We have em all over the place in the UK.

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Punish the drivers that hit the bridge by making them read the posts about it in this thread. I can't think of a better deterrent.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Professor of Cats posted:

As a software engineer I

Can I be a design engineer and comment about the bridge too?

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

as a sandwich engineer, I

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Japan has an answer,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dB9VS8RLC9k

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Sagebrush posted:

they should rig up a system to drop a 400 lb concrete block in front of all overheight trucks

They tried this but guys kept chaining their motorcycles to it, it was a weird situation.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Everyone is missing the obvious solution to the low bridge problem.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?

moonsour posted:

It was 30 tons. And until the previous year she had never driven any vehicle because she grew up Amish!

Just outlaw the Amish, problem solved.

Bacon Taco
Jun 8, 2006

Now with extra narwhal meat!
HAIKOOLIGAN
Dinosaur Gum

Almost nothing is funnier than high-centering!

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!

This is not getting the love it deserves. I could watch this forever! :syoon:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

newton? what was wrong with the old ton??

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

My Summer Car without permadeath turned on.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Powershift posted:

The problem isn't this bridge or that bridge. You can't engineer a solution to severe human stupidity out of steel and asphalt.

I beg to differ, Bob!

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
a truck breaks down, the cows get out, the principal finds 20 cows and is scratching his hhead looking for the other 5859

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Phanatic posted:

I beg to differ, Bob!

:godwin:

XVIII
Jul 11, 2007
londish by injection
Dig up the sewer pipe and stick it to the underside of the bridge so the penalty for not paying attention doubles

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

That's great, but how are we going to get a sink hole to swallow this thread?

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

The ride that recently dismembered 4 people is going to be demolished

I can't imagine many people would have wanted to go anywhere near it anyway, well at least not people who see the news.

From another news article, seeing the conveyor is :nms: for me now:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The top of track moving forward, the bottom moving back, and the squishy human falling in between the two

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

blarzgh posted:

This man gets it.

And instead of a water sign, they can have fireworks go off if you make the jump!

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

Well, if he falls backwards, the opposite wall will catch him and he is tied off to just hang.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Rough Lobster posted:

They should just brick it up permanently.

I like this solution.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Actually that Dreamworld ride sounds really good right about now

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

It looks a lot scarier without all the water... but then I realized the water makes dying like that even worse.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Mierenneuker posted:

It looks a lot scarier without all the water... but then I realized the water makes dying like that even worse.

Just trying to be thorough.

Fasdar
Sep 1, 2001

Everybody loves dancing!
Look on the bright side, guys: With the EPA and OSHA basically about to be excised from government, this thread will get a ton of new material!

That is, if reporting on or recording industrial accidents doesn't become a crime.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I've seen tanks that guys blew up sparking methanol vapors in them. usually It turns elliptical tanks round and pops the hatches off the top, because that's where the weakest welds are.

Whoever did this one welded those hatches up pretty drat well. A guy died, but it probably didn't hurt.

terrenblade
Oct 29, 2012
edit: ^^^ drat!

blarzgh posted:

I love how you've included the expected result of a car upside down on the train tracks in this image, really makes it work.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

chitoryu12 posted:

Crash tests are fun to watch, but sometimes they can be scary.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bT3G-kcKN70

Try not to crash into the back of a semi.

This is an old post, but yeah there was a car that "rearended" a semi-truck not long ago on the highway just outside my work. The car didn't so much rear end the truck, as it did slide under the truck as the truck acted like a can opener, for both the top of the car and the driver's head. 60mph collisions are uhh fun, I guess at least the dude died quickly?

*edit*

Posted this before I saw the next 10 pages of car vs rear end of truck and truck vs bridge discussions.

MF_James fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Nov 10, 2016

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Why not make the truck stationary and have the bridge move over it?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

FCKGW posted:

Why not make the truck stationary and have the bridge move over it?

Depending on your reference frame it already is.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
Simply reduce the truck to become the abstract concept of a truck, like Picasso's bull, and it'll pass under just fine.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
A distant relative of mine drove under the trailer of a semi that jackknifed perpendicular to the road in icy fog. She, the driver, was cleanly decapitated and her head literally landed in the lap of the passenger, who survived.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Require all heavy trucks to be airbagged and slammed. Potential bonuses: fuel savings from improved aerodynamics, looks hella sick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Dunno if it was posted last year when it was made but I just watched what is probably ElectroBoom's most OSHA video so I'm gonna share it anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5VjK7IiRpk