Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many states will legalize Cannabis in the 2016 election?
5+
View Results

• Locked thread
the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

why the feds worried bout me clockin on this corner/
when there's politicians out here gettin popped in arizona
prop 64 projected to win 55-45

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.
Boston Globe called it yes for MA

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

GlyphGryph posted:

Is :420: go anywhere now that we're getting administration that will be enforcing the federal laws to the full extent of the law?

I'm pretty sure legalization just got killed stone dead.

a very interesting question, IMO! can the GOP enforce the laws without state co-operation? is this something that they'll want to burn their political capital on, given marijuana's progress even in a GOP wave election? we'll see!

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
They certainly can. Who knows if they will.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Pretty sure Donald Trump doesn't give a poo poo. Of course if he appoints an rear end in a top hat like Christie Attorney General and he wants to look tough on crime it might not matter.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Nope. It'll be gone before the end of the first 100 days.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Squalid posted:

Pretty sure Donald Trump doesn't give a poo poo. Of course if he appoints an rear end in a top hat like Christie Attorney General and he wants to look tough on crime it might not matter.

Party of States Rights. . . ?

As of 0200 Central CA, MA, NV are locked for legal, AR, FL, and ND all got medical.

Awaiting results on legal for ME and AZ, the latter looking poor.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

GonadTheBallbarian posted:

Nope. It'll be gone before the end of the first 100 days.

I'm not completely hopeless.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-politics/wp/2015/10/29/trump-wants-marijuana-legalization-decided-at-the-state-level/

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i dont see him loving with ganj but also im not going to be investing in the market any time soon
definite sobering moment

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Mandatory weed in 4 years?

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

CA legalized it boyyyyyzzzzzzzzzzzz

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Do yourself a favor and never believe a word of of that guy's mouth. Just think of what the Republican party with an authoritarian bent would do without any checks whatsoever.

That's what's about to happen.

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Mandatory weed in 4 years?

more like mandatory :420: for the next 4 years

Dmitri-9 posted:

Boston Globe called it yes for MA

a ray of sunshine on a cloudy day :unsmith:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knEpzZfzFJs

:syoon:

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

SSNeoman posted:

CA legalized it boyyyyyzzzzzzzzzzzz

So when does it take effect? Because I need to smoke up after seeing the election results

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
Just cross your fingers and pray that Trump doesn't appoint Chris Christie as AG.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

MaxxBot posted:

Just cross your fingers and pray that Trump doesn't appoint Chris Christie as AG.

Frontrunner is Giuliani, which is of no improvement

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
What's the timeline on all of these initiatives? It seems like the entire framework is already in place in California, so it shouldn't take much to just make it legal.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Xandu posted:

What's the timeline on all of these initiatives? It seems like the entire framework is already in place in California, so it shouldn't take much to just make it legal.

Las Vegas Sun:

quote:

But while recreational marijuana is now legal in Nevada, the plant may not be available for legal sale until Jan. 1, 2018, as state legislators scramble to craft out the final framework for issuing licenses to dispensaries and properly regulating the industry. The Legislature is also in charge of consolidating Nevada’s recreational and medical marijuana programs under state bureaus.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

The Glumslinger posted:

So when does it take effect? Because I need to smoke up after seeing the election results

wikipedia posted:

The Adult Use of Marijuana Act (AUMA) (Proposition 64) is a 2016 voter initiative to legalize cannabis in California. The full name of the measure is the "Control, Regulate and Tax Adult Use of Marijuana Act".[1] The initiative passed and became law on November 9, 2016.

times-standard posted:

Proposition 64, known as the Adult Use of Marijuana Act, would take effect immediately upon its passage, giving adults over 21 new rights to use, possess, transport and grow certain amounts of nonmedical marijuana. But retail locations for recreational marijuana will not be opening until January 2018 at the earliest, leaving a year-long gap before California residents can legally buy the product.

toke up bro :420:

turnip kid
May 24, 2010

AARO posted:

If medical passes in Florida do you guys expect it to be extremely easy to get a prescription like in California or will it only be given to people going through chemo or with some serious illness?

edit: I see now that it's only for "debilitating conditions" in Florida.

What's a "debilitating condition"?

Christie said he'd shut marijuana down in every state, so yeah.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I think I'm gonna chill in this thread. The rest of C-SPAM depresses me too much atm :smith:

fat bossy gerbil
Jul 1, 2007

Hard to chill in this thread when legalization may have just won the battle but lost the war.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

:heritage: b-b-but states rights...:heritage:

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

fat bossy gerbil posted:

Hard to chill in this thread when legalization may have just won the battle but lost the war.

Yeah toke up while you can cause it's probably not gonna last for long.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

SSNeoman posted:

toke up bro :420:

Seems unnecessary since literally all the groundwork exists in medical stores, which are quasi-legalized already.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
I'm not sure if I'm too worried about the feds and congress coming after marijuana in states that have legalized it. Loretta Lynch our current Attorney General doesn't support weed either but here we are: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2015/feb/1/loretta-lynchs-stance-on-pot-may-be-problematic-fo/

As far as Trump's views it doesn't seem like he cares much about it either way:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWAADm69dV8

Can he backpedal and enforce it? Of course. As of now does it look like he will at this point? Not from anything I can find.

Here's a good article on it:
http://www.thecannabist.co/2016/11/09/president-trump-marijuana-industry-future/67199/

And the DoJ Cole Memo (I'd never heard of it so I'll link it): http://www.thecannabist.co/2014/02/14/cole-memo-federal-law-enforcement-guidelines-on-marijuana-enforcement/4733/

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Yeah well, it's been a convenient cudgel for decades to go after "the bad people"

Why give that up if you're authoritarian?

E. ME finally passed, making the vote 4/5 I guess

GonadTheBallbarian has issued a correction as of 23:34 on Nov 9, 2016

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Yeah well, it's been a convenient cudgel for decades to go after "the bad people"

Why give that up if you're authoritarian?

It's really tough to say, so as of now we can only go with what he has said during the campaign and earlier, and the current precedent. His silence on the issue officially (ie through his website) is interesting, as the only mention of any drugs that I can find is cutting the red tape in the FDA to get life-saving drugs approved more quickly.

Other drug talk from him on the campaign trail has been about prioritizing closing pill mills and providing better care for opioid addicts, which is frankly awesome and a problem here in Nevada where he mentioned it (likely elsewhere).

I'll stick with an "I don't think the new admin will come after weed" until evidence to the contrary is shown.

Knyteguy has issued a correction as of 23:59 on Nov 9, 2016

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Modest Mouse cover band posted:

It's really tough to say, so as of now we can only go with what he has said during the campaign and earlier, and the current precedent. His silence on the issue officially (ie through his website) is interesting, as the only mention of any drugs that I can find is cutting the red tape in the FDA to get life-saving drugs approved more quickly.

Other drug talk from him on the campaign trail has been about prioritizing closing pill mills and providing better care for opioid addicts, which is frankly awesome and a problem here in Nevada where he mentioned it (likely elsewhere).

I'll stick with an "I don't think the new admin will come after weed" until evidence to the contrary is shown.
Be more worried about his AG than Trump himself on the issue.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
Yeah I wouldn't be really worried at all if his short list for AG didn't have two of the most rabid drug warriors around on it. I don't think a typical GOP politician or Trump really want to shut down all of the weed shops at this point but Christie sure as hell does.

Clunk Tap It
May 1, 2014
Wouldn't an AG have to go through the Supreme Court to do that? There are still 4 liberal justices and at least one of the conservatives could come around on the basis of STATES RIGHTS.

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!
I think they realize you can't put the genie back in the bottle, guys.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Clunk Tap It posted:

Wouldn't an AG have to go through the Supreme Court to do that? There are still 4 liberal justices and at least one of the conservatives could come around on the basis of STATES RIGHTS.
STATES RIGHTS was exactly what they were gunning for when they tried with medical. Turns out drug warriors are pretty darn flexible when it comes to STATES RIGHTS.

http://abcnews.go.com/WNT/story?id=131034

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

Clunk Tap It posted:

Did you sleep through 2005?

quote:

Gonzales v. Raich (previously Ashcroft v. Raich), 545 U.S. 1 (2005), was a decision by the US Supreme Court ruling that under the Commerce Clause of the US Constitution, Congress may criminalize the production and use of homegrown cannabis even if states approve its use for medicinal purposes.

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

It's so close in Maine that there will probably be a recount.

Edit: It's yes by about 3k or 4k votes and there are around 4k absentee ballots that haven't been counted yet.

Bert Roberge has issued a correction as of 02:30 on Nov 10, 2016

Clunk Tap It
May 1, 2014

Hey, I'm just grasping at whatever straws I can. I wasn't exactly politically aware a decade ago and definitely not paying attention to every Supreme Court ruling. At least it specifies homegrown which means the dispensaries are safe, r-right?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I've spoken to a few industry people in the past few days and those on the retail side are slightly shaken; those farther up in the hierarchy are excited. They do not believe that Trump/cabinet will be stupid enough to touch legality, as it'd be a huge, immediately visible Federal expenditure against something that several states have shown to ~make money~ with, and an anti-populist campaign against a victimless crime.

i feel a lot better about it today

Cynical answer: The cops don't need illegal weed to detain suspects any more. It was just a handy excuse.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

Clunk Tap It posted:

Hey, I'm just grasping at whatever straws I can. I wasn't exactly politically aware a decade ago and definitely not paying attention to every Supreme Court ruling. At least it specifies homegrown which means the dispensaries are safe, r-right?
Not in the slightest. The case concerned whether the federal government could break into a private residence and destroy marijuana plants being grown by a patient for her own consumption. The Supreme Court ruled the federal government had an interest in forbidding that because of the impact on interstate commerce. If even that isn't allowed, then a place that sells marijuana to anyone who shows up is absolutely not allowed.

The DEA is currently not allowed to pursue medical marijuana cases (and it's interpreted as protecting recreational states because you can't crack down on recreational without also hitting medical use), but that could change very fast under a Trump/Pence presidency. It won't necessarily change but it could.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.
It would be a huge overreach, 80% of the country supports medical marijuana.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

If Chris Christie gets a position, you'll be let he'll enforce all of those laws.

• Locked thread