Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doggir
Dec 24, 2013

Alexander DeLarge posted:

Isn't it "soft-launching" this year when it's ready?

Fixed

SweetBro posted:

Good thing Crowfall is not being marketed or designed as a competitive MMO or I'd have one more thing to not give a poo poo about.

we esports now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

When I said competitive I don't mean eSports. I meant any game that pits players against each other, even more so in one with consequences to loss.
Losing all your stuff because the RNG gods frowned on you is bad.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.

eSporks posted:

When I said competitive I don't mean eSports. I meant any game that pits players against each other, even more so in one with consequences to loss.
Losing all your stuff because the RNG gods frowned on you is bad.

DotA has plenty of RNG in it, and it's arguably the most competitive game second only to SCII (which is pretty much dead now anyways). The key to it is to have just enough RNG. Too little and the game becomes stale and unwelcoming. Too much and it feels cheap and unrewarding. Anyways, in games like this you're probably going to lose all your stuff because the enemy chose to focus fire instead of the guy next to you a lot more often and a lot more directly than an ability proc. Also, back to DotA "Learning to account for the possibilities of RNG is a player skill."

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

That sounds reasonable, it still feel to me like this implementation means the entire classes play style relies on a roll of the dice.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
There are things you can do to make your RNG less random if things get too swingy.

To go with the dota example, I think some abilities used a special pseudo-random distribution for their RNG that adjusted the instant-to-instant chance of procing to keep the time between procs more consistent than a normal RNG, while still having the same chance in the long run. People tend to find that makes the RNG feel more "fair".

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

eSporks posted:

That sounds reasonable, it still feel to me like this implementation means the entire classes play style relies on a roll of the dice.

Five of the six choices are basically just damage buffs of varying degrees, that's not going to wildly swing fights from one side to the other. It's flavor not balance.

KJDavid
Nov 22, 2013

My other avatar is a pocke-thingy.
Anyone in Big World yet?

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

KJDavid posted:

Anyone in Big World yet?

I got an invite and will try it out if it is up this weekend

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

So I goofed around for about 30 minutes as a duelist.

Stuff that is in:

Setting skills to train, EVE style. Apparently these skills will train offline and (maybe?) carry over through subsequent sessions of this test phase.

Crafting and resource gathering is in, and it sort of has a minecraft feel. You always have a magical axe you can conjure to chop wood, then you can use that wood to make further magical tools.

I was able to get a bunch of copper gear before I got murdered by a three person squad. Felt good and proper.

The devs were in the global chat and enjoying the show.

Bad stuff: UI was laggy, picking up resources felt unresponsive, combat animations had no impact noises so I couldn't tell what was hitting or not. All easy to fix, obviously, but made playing kind of annoying.

As it stands: You can currently kill people and take their goodies. Core gameplay: Check!

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
I played for like 10 minutes

it was pretty laggy and you couldn't chat

Druid is pretty defenseless.

thats my alpha story thanks for reading

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

Apparently you just can't see your own chat messages

The balance is kinda bad (of course) but the "run around, get doodads, sneak up and kill people" gameplay is there and shows promise

Also skills train when you're logged out: I forgot and was pleasantly surprised when I logged back in to check a thing

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
i only got the 30 dollar early package or w/e. can i log in and kill mans

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."

Blazing Zero posted:

I didn't get any sort of notice and I got the same package so either the answer is no or my inbox has started flagging it as spam to protect me

Orv
May 4, 2011

Blazing Zero posted:

Don't think so, think it's still $100+ or whatever it is with the new packages at this point.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

Blazing Zero posted:

lol if you think you can help a business/company test their unfinished game/product for anything less than $100.

FireWhizzle
Apr 2, 2009

a neckbeard elemental
Grimey Drawer

2DCAT posted:

lol if you think you can help a business/company test their unfinished game/product for anything less than $100.

Does my $100 help purchase custom built doors [ ] yes [ ] no [ ]

Also, let us take a moment to reflect on the following two words:

Walton

Freeman

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke

FireWhizzle posted:

Also, let us take a moment to reflect on the following two words:

Walton

Freeman

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

FireWhizzle posted:

I forgot about the Star Citizen doors. Thanks for the reminder.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
what was cool was being able to harvest and stuff, i did a bit of it but it really does show promise

i can see a lot of dedicated goon projects to gathering resources to build forts and controlling lands and areas this way. Trees disappear when you harvest them, rocks too, etc. And you can take those resources to building like lumber mills or an outpost.

It just needs some optimization and its still pretty rough

Doggir
Dec 24, 2013

http://community.crowfall.com/index.php?/topic/10129-its-called-strategy/

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013
I'm amazed how close to a finished working game this is after so little time. Granted there is a poo poo ton of stuff still missing, most of the classes being a pretty big one, but you can run around and kill people and craft gear. That's a faction system away from being a game.

Doggir
Dec 24, 2013

So far I am actually enjoying alpha; anyone else in the test want to group up?

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

Doggir posted:

So far I am actually enjoying alpha; anyone else in the test want to group up?

I can go for a bit

Edit: Patched up; what server are you on/name?

Capntastic fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Nov 10, 2016

Doggir
Dec 24, 2013

Capntastic posted:

I can go for a bit

Edit: Patched up; what server are you on/name?

Doggir on west

Doggir
Dec 24, 2013

I also got a couple pick axes if anyone wants

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

Doggir posted:

Doggir on west

I lost connection and decided to be too lazy to log back in

I played for like an hour, had some fun PVP duels, snagged some materials. Can see how the crafting system could eventually lead to some fun stuff, especially once more recipes for like, defenses and stuff are in.

KJDavid
Nov 22, 2013

Yeah, I'm tentatively impressed. The fundamentals are there. Obvious caveat: there are tons of bugs, unfinished systems, and stuff that needs balance iterating on about a hundred times, but...it's kinda fun.

I don't know if I want to be a craftsman, but the intricacy in the system is really intriguing. I can see why they keep emphasizing the need for 'dedicated crafters' in any guild.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013
To keep things under perspective this game was kickstarted for about 2.4 million in march of 2015. That they've gotten from that to this is simply incredible.

KJDavid
Nov 22, 2013

malhavok posted:

To keep things under perspective this game was kickstarted for about 2.4 million in march of 2015. That they've gotten from that to this is simply incredible.

Yes.

Not to name names [cough] Star Citizen [cough], but it makes a lot of difference when you focus on core game play instead of ancillary stuff only about 0.03% of your audience gives a drat about.

Now, will Crowfall actually end up being good?

I don't know. Could go either way. That there is a game at this point is a very encouraging sign.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

KJDavid posted:

I don't know. Could go either way. That there is a game at this point is a very encouraging sign.

I think that even if the game ends up being just a bigger, slightly more complex version of what it is now with base building and territory control and the procedural mini-campaigns, it should be good.

And even if it's not "good", it will be "fun", solely because of the PVP externalities that make kicking over someone's sandcastle in any game fun.

Ashrik
Feb 9, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.
So how does combat work, like, mechanically?

Drakkus
May 14, 2002

yum~

Lastgirl posted:

thats my alpha story thanks for reading

thank you for the story

I played for like an hour. first while was figuring out the somewhat awkward interface, but I eventually managed to figure out I needed to make a pistol to use half my skills.

so I chopped down some trees to get some wood, used the wood to make a hammer, then used the hammer to get some stone. I put all of them together, and it failed and I got nothing

I wasn't entirely sure if I hosed up the recipie or I'm just terrible, so I went back at it. I got half the stone I needed again before my hammer broke, then got jumped while trying to craft another hammer

awesome game 10-10 can't wait for beta

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

Drakkus posted:

I got half the stone I needed again before my hammer broke, then got jumped while trying to craft another hammer

awesome game 10-10 can't wait for beta

I can't decide if a sprinkling of "safe zones" to craft would be good or bad

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Bad because crafters could just turtle up and build weapons with impunity. Instead they should have bodyguards. Free Market 101: if you can't get enough protection to fend off enemies you deserve getting your poo poo jacked.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

super sweet best pal posted:

Bad because crafters could just turtle up and build weapons with impunity. Instead they should have bodyguards. Free Market 101: if you can't get enough protection to fend off enemies you deserve getting your poo poo jacked.

Sometimes I just want to use the toilet

Drakkus
May 14, 2002

yum~

Capntastic posted:

I can't decide if a sprinkling of "safe zones" to craft would be good or bad

when the game comes out, we'll all be crafting behind the impenetrable walls of goontown anyway

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Drakkus posted:

when the game comes out, we'll all be crafting behind the easily breakable and shoddily made walls of goontown anyway

Ftfy

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

Ashrik posted:

So how does combat work, like, mechanically?

Action combat.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

Don't forget, and always remember: I spent all of my VIP tokens to get us enough credit to have a giant fukken goon castle

You know the construction will be Groveresque

Capntastic fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Nov 11, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007
This whole thread has been raging at the people who don't want Saracen invasion to their homes

Perhaps you too should be more accepting of their cultures
Load bearing drawbridge.