Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
http://www.psp-tv.com/r/NiteCrew
This poll is closed.
500562 49.92%
139 0.01%
153 0.02%
500888 49.95%
940 0.09%
Total: 1002682 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

LastInLine posted:

The primary job of a politician is to get people to vote for them, it's literally the first step. If you can't do that, you're a lovely politician and there is no doubt that Hillary is perhaps the shittiest in modern history. Maybe it means pandering but maybe, just maybe it could mean offering a different stance on an issue that obviously a voting bloc cares about.

I'm not saying she, or anybody really, has to pander to every group out there. But therein lies the rub and that is that that bloc does exist and if you don't want their votes that's fine too, but you don't get to bitch that they didn't support you when you explicitly told them to gently caress off and it turned out you could've used that support.

All the polls were wrong she was flying blind the entire time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

LastInLine posted:

The primary job of a politician is to get people to vote for them, it's literally the first step. If you can't do that, you're a lovely politician and there is no doubt that Hillary is perhaps the shittiest in modern history. Maybe it means pandering but maybe, just maybe it could mean offering a different stance on an issue that obviously a voting bloc cares about.

I'm not saying she, or anybody really, has to pander to every group out there. But therein lies the rub and that is that that bloc does exist and if you don't want their votes that's fine too, but you don't get to bitch that they didn't support you when you explicitly told them to gently caress off and it turned out you could've used that support.

she had a lot of appealing stances on a very wide variety of issues, and even ones where she was bad, like weed, folks who care about that issue should really be able to realize that voting democratic regardless of candidate was more likely to bring progress in the direction they want. if, as one of these eventual non-voters, you applied any analytical skill at all to her platform and the overall context of where the democratic party was going, you should have realized that not voting was a bad idea regardless of whether she has spoken about your issues in the last week. this is a persistent weakness of the democratic electorate, a component of its softness compared to the republicans, who know they must vote republican always.

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

right and I'd assume that even if you were an obsessive political nerd you could understand that they are 1) both full of loving assholes and 2) don't actually closely approximate the ideology of millions of people

duh

but she lost mostly because of folks who voted for obama in 2012 but not for her, which means these aren't exactly people who are innately repulsed by mainstream trending-progressive-liberalism; they are people who either easily buy into fake scandals or who, as i have mentioned, are dumb and require constant overt reminders that a candidate is on their side on their specific issue

people kinda have a responsibility to be educated voters in at least a basic sense, just as much as a politician's job is to attract votes

both sides of that equation collapsed this time

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
I got about 15 minutes of sleep last night and that have been running on adrenaline pretty much since yesterday morning. That greatagain.gov finally broke me though. God drat Donald trump is the next president.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
This dumb gently caress episode of Gotham has Cobblepot winning the mayors office on the slogan of make Gotham safe again and oh my god I'm triggered

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

The Nastier Nate posted:

I know your right, but this ain't your daddy's GOP anymore, it's the Trump Party and he is the unquestionable leader: anyone who still thinks we're gonna get 4 years of Bush2.0 is in for a rude awakening. We are so far into uncharted waters now that we can't see the shore.

yeah

haha

it's too loving late poo poo is going to be bad

we are going to go hard fascist and bring about nuclear war, or become a puppet state of russia, or a fundamentalist protestant hell-hole in the mold of much of the middle east

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

Montasque posted:

So lots of protesters across the USA.

Will the left have their own 'tea party' type group?

His name was Bernie Sanders.

Colonel Corazon
Feb 12, 2011

A faction armed to the teeth hardly seems friendly to me.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vq7zwElSmQ

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Augus posted:

we may deserve it but blacks, gays, immigrants, etc don't

LOL, yeah they really do; even more than everybody else.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

386-SX 25Mhz VGA posted:

Oh no poo poo??? Just don't call it a loving democracy

It's a representative democracy. That's what it is and that's its name. Perhaps you'd be interested in something like a direct democracy?

The fact is that the country wouldn't exist at all without having had this system baked into it from the beginning.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

radical meme posted:

you had better clarify

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Jazerus posted:

she had a lot of appealing stances on a very wide variety of issues

Her biggest problem seems to have been that she wasn't willing to be outspoken about any of those issues that she had good opinions on. She played too safe, didn't take any sort of controversial position on anything.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

I was wondering why it was suddenly so much louder outside my Seattle hotel..... helicopters, because the street is filled with protestors :eyepop:

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

a real chump posted:

dernal tremp mis real dumb and bad

a good post imo

i can see all the points clearly addressed and have come to a mutual understanding :o:

thank you for englightening me on something so eloquent that D&D in a thousand years could never do with a pile of paragraphs and :words:

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Montasque posted:

So lots of protesters across the USA.

Will the left have their own 'tea party' type group?

No, never.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.

quote:

as one of these eventual non-voters, you applied any analytical skill at all to her platform and the overall context of where the democratic party was going,

lol she wanted to jail them. She said they should be in jail. THEY STOPPED ANALYZING THEN.

FuriousxGeorge fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Nov 10, 2016

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
https://twitter.com/AP/status/796534101025165312

Trump supporters are idiots part infinity:

Trump is going to fix water and black lung of miners through deregulation and dismantling the EPA.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://twitter.com/BresPolitico/status/796460209451532288

Confounding Factor
Jul 4, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

The Nastier Nate posted:

I know your right, but this ain't your daddy's GOP anymore, it's the Trump Party and he is the unquestionable leader: anyone who still thinks we're gonna get 4 years of Bush2.0 is in for a rude awakening. We are so far into uncharted waters now that we can't see the shore.

Yeah I think so to. Reagan is finally dead, thank God.

Guy DeBorgore
Apr 6, 1994

Catnip is the opiate of the masses
Soiled Meat

Doorknob Slobber posted:

Her biggest problem seems to have been that she wasn't willing to be outspoken about any of those issues that she had good opinions on. She played too safe, didn't take any sort of controversial position on anything.

how can you possibly have watched the 2016 campaign and came out thinking it was about issues

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

eggyolk posted:

His name was Bernie Sanders.

bernie will take the reigns of the party and whip these dumb fuckers into shape

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Jazerus posted:

but she lost mostly because of folks who voted for obama in 2012 but not for her, which means these aren't exactly people who are innately repulsed by mainstream trending-progressive-liberalism; they are people who either easily buy into fake scandals or who, as i have mentioned, are dumb and require constant overt reminders that a candidate is on their side on their specific issue

people kinda have a responsibility to be educated voters in at least a basic sense, just as much as a politician's job is to attract votes

both sides of that equation collapsed this time

This isn't entirely true. She got about the same number of young voters as Obama (and Kerry). The killer was working class people. For those making less than $50k per year there was a 16% swing from 2012 to 2016. This was especially true in the midwest. Look at the county results for Iowa and Wisconsin from 2012 and compare them with 2016. It's shocking.

The failure wasn't apathetic teens casting protest ballots or staying home, that laziness is basically baked in to the Democratic coalition. This was the final loss of the New Deal coalition who heard NOTHING about how Hillary's policies would help them (partially the fault of the media, partially the fault of Clinton for not making it her one thing). Instead Hillary focused on feel-good identity politics and moral outrage against Trump. They should have known that Romney voters would come home to Trump.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

NecroMonster posted:

i don't blame any on individual or group alone, and i'm not even mad, i'm too god damned sick and defeated at this point

hot take: you should stop feeling sorry for yourself and start getting directly involved in politics so that we can hit back hard in 2018. support progressive candidates, make calls, unite against a common enemy, etc etc

radical meme posted:

uh...pardon?

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

LmaoTheKid posted:

Can confirm. My subway ride was so quiet it got creepy.

same. People who used to talk to eachother every day just stared off in the distance

including me

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Lastgirl posted:

a good post imo

i can see all the points clearly addressed and have come to a mutual understanding :o:

thank you for englightening me on something so eloquent that D&D in a thousand years could never do with a pile of paragraphs and :words:

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Three Olives posted:

https://twitter.com/AP/status/796534101025165312

Trump supporters are idiots part infinity:

Trump is going to fix water and black lung of miners through deregulation and dismantling the EPA.

This makes me sad, honestly.

These people really are broken and Trump gave them hope.

In 4 years, they'll re-elect him on that same promise.

In 8 years, they'll still love him.

In 10 years, they'll die of black lung and the consequences of meth usage.

They really are hosed.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Augus posted:

hot take: you should stop feeling sorry for yourself and start getting directly involved in politics so that we can hit back hard in 2018. support progressive candidates, make calls, unite against a common enemy, etc etc

i am extremely mentally ill

386-SX 25Mhz VGA
Jan 14, 2003

(C) American Megatrends Inc.,

LastInLine posted:

It's a representative democracy. That's what it is and that's its name. Perhaps you'd be interested in something like a direct democracy?

The fact is that the country wouldn't exist at all without having had this system baked into it from the beginning.
I know you mean well, but no the electoral college in its current role in the election mechanic is not a loving artifact of representative democracy, and it never was, not even early in US history.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
If nothing else is learned from this, at least some political operative will maybe realize that dropping earthshaking poo poo like the Access Hollywood tape apparently doesn't matter for more than a week.

GrimGypsy posted:

How long until Alex Jones turns on Trump?

Or has he elevated enough that he can kind of be an establishment cheerleader and not regress to "Everyone in any position of power is evil"?

Alex Jone's fan base is pretty much entirely Trump supporters so he'd have to wait for Trump to gently caress up something fierce otherwise his viewership will eat him alive as a sellout.

Cubey posted:

i don't think that was his point dawg

They're going to let the states decide whether to make your pot smoking a misdemeanor or a felony after the Federal government comes down on pot smokers like the fist of an angry god, then does the same to women's health.

mastershakeman posted:

surely in year 45 of majority gop appointed judges, roe will be overturned

Roe only exists right now because of Kennedy. Full stop. If Kennedy was as anti-choice as the other conservative justices have been Abortion would not be legal in the US right now.

LastInLine posted:

The primary job of a politician is to get people to vote for them, it's literally the first step. If you can't do that, you're a lovely politician and there is no doubt that Hillary is perhaps the shittiest in modern history.

You do realize Hillary got more votes than Trump, right? The reason she's not president elect is because we're idiots and don't just do a straight up popular vote for POTUS.

Louisgod posted:

Went to a brewery with co-workers for lunch and of course a couple grandma and grandpas sat next to us and I made zero effort of toning poo poo down and one of the old shits just laughed and shook his head when we made our points

Old white people are truly terrible and have no stake in the future decades they hosed over

They're just enjoying the end of their wild ride. I can only imagine how survivie WW2 vets have to feel, seeing their kids and grandkids elect the kind of people they fought against in WW2.

Then again all the Cold Warriors fully embrace Putin a loving KGB op turned Stalin-wannabe strongman so who the gently caress knows.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Pomp posted:

same. People who used to talk to eachother every day just stared off in the distance

including me

Because my office is mostly made of people from Long Island, they were so quicky to talk how great this all was. Ironically, the guy from Georgia was the only one who said "this is bad" before a Long Islander said "you just think that because the media told you to."

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

Everyone I know in San Francisco and Oakland are super loving shook today - maybe more than I've ever really seen my hometown be - but I still believe we'll all survive this.

I don't know why... but I am.

:smith:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Pook Good Mook posted:

The failure wasn't apathetic teens casting protest ballots or staying home, that laziness is basically baked in to the Democratic coalition. This was the final loss of the New Deal coalition who heard NOTHING about how Hillary's policies would help them (partially the fault of the media, partially the fault of Clinton for not making it her one thing). Instead Hillary focused on feel-good identity politics and moral outrage against Trump. They should have known that Romney voters would come home to Trump.

The truth is, a lot of people (wrongly) voted with the same thought in mind that I have going into an election. I care more if they can do the job than if I like them. Hillary didn't hit hard enough on his ideas being poo poo and him being incompetent. She called him a Bad Man, and most people don't really care if the president is a bad man. They think that of all politicians.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

NecroMonster posted:

it's because the left failed the lower and middle classes in a whole lot of different ways in part to a whole lot of obstruction

remember when hillary wanted to forgive student loans for "entrepreneurs"

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Garrison Keillor wrote another op-ed. A taste:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opin..._opinions_pop_b

Captain Internet
Apr 20, 2005

:love: HOTLANTA :love:
IS WHERE YOUR HEART IS
Does trump plan on making more coal for these poor miners? Can they just make the bituminous into anthracite by getting rid of the brown people?

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

radical meme posted:

A decent amount still went Trump, even after being systematically shat on by him

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Covok posted:

Because my office is mostly made of people from Long Island, they were so quicky to talk how great this all was. Ironically, the guy from Georgia was the only one who said "this is bad" before a Long Islander said "you just think that because the media told you to."

i'm a long islander and i say gently caress this poo poo

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Guy DeBorgore posted:

how can you possibly have watched the 2016 campaign and came out thinking it was about issues

Read the coal mining quote above.

Hillary doesn't need to be pro-coal. She did not to make a link between "these regulations are good because X, we want to help with infrastructure Y, and free community college."

gently caress, even Terry loving Branstead knows enough to promise farmers in the sticks that the state will pave the county highways that is only used by agribusiness ethanol trucks. Jon Stewart pointed this out years ago. Democrats never actually sack up and say WHY wasting $2 trillion in Iraq and Afghanistan was such a tragedy. It wasn't because we couldn't afford it. It was because it was a theft from education, healthcare, roads. Things people LIKE from their government. Democrats are right on the issues but you have to actually sell that you're right, not just act like it and assume you can dismiss people who don't get it as "dumb."

I mean, they are dumb, but you can't campaign that way.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Cubey posted:

my college campus has one of the highest proportions of gay students in the country. in the main student lounge the lgbt club had set up an emergency table and there were people crying and hugging each other. everyone on campus was silent, or talking in hushed tones about how they couldn't believe this and what does this mean.

one of my professors cancelled class because 'none of us were thinking about learning today'. it was an environmental science course and said professor is loving horrified due to what this means for the environment.

it was a real bad day at school.

I'm not being facetious at all here.

Start a Gay Communist Gun Club.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

NecroMonster posted:

you had better clarify

quote:

My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country.

As true now as it was 60 years ago. I'm loving tired of people asking "what have you done for me lately".

I'm close to the age where FYGM is becoming a viable political philosophy.

• Locked thread