Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
I'm actually enjoying this season so far, and just remembered that it's shorter than all the others. Of course. (Granted, that may be part of the reason WHY it's better, but still.)

Also, as for Actress Shelby being willing to follow Lee back to the cabin-- I think all the other theories are valid, but I've kind of gotten the impression that she just isn't that smart/strategic when it comes to this sort of thing. She's also vain or at least insecure, she's only worrying about her own death in the context of her legacy to her fans and mourning the others with "They were such good costars!" It made perfect sense to me that she'd not only buy the idea Lee sold her, but would also consider that worth going back for.

Plus, Lee's a badass (former) lady cop who still has her wits about her after being partially jerkified. I'd stick with her too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time

Martian Manfucker posted:

is season 2 of this show better than season 1? I'm on episode 9 of season 1 and I'm ready to give up on it. aside from Jessica Lange there's nothing at all interesting or compelling about it and I wonder if it's just I don't like the setting or characters or what

S2 is generally considered the strongest season, but many people also prefer S1.
I'm in the "Asylum" camp, myself.
My biggest gripe with Murder House is that it spans too much and instead of taking time unfolding the strong stories it has going and building some tension it just introduces something new all the time. It started to get silly really fast that a new ghost was introduced every episode, and just waited around politely until its backstory was told before appearing.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
I watched Season 2 first and I've been chasing that particular AHS Dragon ever since :smith:

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

haveblue posted:

Season 2 is the only season (almost) everyone agrees is better than season 1. It's a totally different style of story too, without the family drama.

Season 1 and 2 have not aged well at all. I rewatched them recently and I cant wait to forget them forever now. Even saying one is better than the other bloated self is hard to believe, they are both equally bad.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I went into S1 blind, only knowing it was some kind of horror series, and binge watched it on Netflix. So good. S2 I had more an idea what to expect and it was a good season but so many storylines circled around sex and it was too much, distracting.

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time
The biggest weakness in S2 is that it has too many monsters. This show has always had too many different storylines going on, which is pretty infuriating because some of those storylines have a lot of promise.

The cracks showed already in the two first seasons. S1 had more than a few cool ideas. The kinky sexual undertones to everything, the cursed house driving its inhabitants to murder, everyone having a skeleton or five in their closet, Tate and Violet's twisted Rome and Juliet tale, Denis O'Hare holding nothing back, Moira's appearance depending on the eye of the beholder, Jessica Lange as the creepy neighbor.
My biggest gripes with the series back then were:
(The spoilers are for Martian Manfucker who is currently watching S1)
1. TOO MANY GHOSTS. They were also really clumsily handled and introduced into the story. So, the ghosts are tangible physical apparitions who just can't leave the house. That actually worked in the Tate/Violet story, where we first learned that Tate had been a ghost all along, then later that Violet had also been dead for a few episodes. Where it doesn't work is when there are so many ghosts walking around that it doesn't make sense. There was a new murder story told in every episode introduction. So that ghost just conveniently waited around in the shadows until their backstory had been shown, and then were constantly present. Ben and Vivian don't even once ask who all these strange people are or where they are coming from.
2. Elisabeth Short. The Black Dahlia murder is maybe the most famous unsolved case ever, and these "celebrity cameos" always felt like Ryan Murphy had just discovered Wikipedia. I felt the same way when Anne Frank turned out to be a character in Asylum and that alone almost made me walk away from the show, but then they handled the character in a much better way by never really concluding if she really is who she says or a psychotic who just believes it.

S2 is pretty much awesome, and has even more great storylines and characters, but competent writers would have chosen one or two of them and saved the rest for another season. There's...
the mystery of the serial killer in the asylum returning many years later, the 50's asylum itself, the persecution for being in an interracial relationship in a racist time, the demonic possession of the virgin nurse, the nazi doctor with his failed experiments, sister Jude's fall from grace, the angel of death/schacath... There are so many great horror plots in there, but it ends up being a little messy when none of them get a chance to shine and build tension. And then there's the stupid grey alien abduction/ Evan Peters threesome / Alien babies plot as a poo poo cherry on top.

MadSparkle
Aug 7, 2012

Can Bernie count on you to add to our chest's mad sparkle? Can you spare a little change for an old buccaneer?
Season 1 and 2 are my favorites but vastly different. Season 1 is a lot slower with its pacing but in a way a lot more suspenseful. Season 2 is just batshit crazy, I love it. Certain elements were over-the-top and unneeded like too many ruffles on a dress, but in a way I felt it worked.

I'm still not sure what to think of this season. I didn't watch the last episode but watched the one right before. Sarah Paulson's accent is terrible and when she was tearfully talking to Rory on the camera and saying how much she loved him, and then the blood dripped down from the tree onto her face, I laughed so goddamn hard and i don't even know why. I mean, it's a fairly tragic thing.

The one creepy moment for me was when they were all down in the tunnel and the Mott ghost showed up and Sarah Paulson says, Rory? And the ghost is all bellowing at the end of the tunnel .... that sort of creeped me out, it was cool how it was done. Makes me wonder how much is 'true' in terms of original story with him helping out Matt/Shelby/Lee at all. The 'real' ghost seems way too pissed and doesn't really come off like he'd help anyone under any conditions.

MadSparkle fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Nov 7, 2016

MadSparkle
Aug 7, 2012

Can Bernie count on you to add to our chest's mad sparkle? Can you spare a little change for an old buccaneer?
I don't understand how the 'real' butcher is 'alive', I mean wasn't she supposed to be offed by her son or something? I'm completely confused.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

MadSparkle posted:

I don't understand how the 'real' butcher is 'alive', I mean wasn't she supposed to be offed by her son or something? I'm completely confused.

Well she was already dead, where was she gonna go? New Jersey?

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

Season 2 had Ian McShane as killer Santa so that alone puts it above most seasons

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Season 2 also had Lilly Rabe in top form, so that was also good.

MadSparkle
Aug 7, 2012

King Vidiot posted:

Well she was already dead, where was she gonna go? New Jersey?

She'd never go to a place with yankees :nono:

Also, I just figured since she was killed by another ghost that that meant it was some kind of ultimate ghost death thing, dunno. I wonder what happened to Ambrose. Did Shelby/Lee/Matt just blow smoke up Sidney's rear end about a lot of the poo poo that happened, because some stuff isn't adding up at all.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

ĄTerrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!

MadSparkle posted:

She'd never go to a place with yankees :nono:

Also, I just figured since she was killed by another ghost that that meant it was some kind of ultimate ghost death thing, dunno. I wonder what happened to Ambrose. Did Shelby/Lee/Matt just blow smoke up Sidney's rear end about a lot of the poo poo that happened, because some stuff isn't adding up at all.

Well, the last thing we see in the "recreation" is the Butcher getting out of the fire and running after them.

MadSparkle
Aug 7, 2012

El Tortuga posted:

Well, the last thing we see in the "recreation" is the Butcher getting out of the fire and running after them.

Oh poo poo, I completely spaced that out

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Come to me .... and live forever.
I think if the real participants were lying about anything, it was probably how they got away the first time. That whole thing seemed really hammed up to me, the way the girl saved them and the son tossed the Butcher on the fire and the cop just ran away leaving Lee to drive in at the right moment.

Maybe they agreed to sacrifice Mason instead of Flora in exchange for leaving, and concocted a lot of the ending in order to try and explain away what really happened.

MadSparkle
Aug 7, 2012

OmegaBR posted:

Maybe they agreed to sacrifice Mason instead of Flora in exchange for leaving, and concocted a lot of the ending in order to try and explain away what really happened.

That's actually a really plausible explanation, yet there's also still the thing about Lee coming back specifically to clear her name alone... I mean, unless of course she alone made some kind of deal, without Shelby or Matt present, to sacrifice Mason in place of Flora.

As it stands now, things are so over-the-top and insane, it's just death after death and the moments of suspense don't last very long so it's like a teen jerk off marathon.I think I'm not liking this season as much as I thought - I liked the concept initially especially of the whole reality show thing. But in taking everyone back to the house, it's just been carnage without much in terms of story or any character development. There aren't any deliciously amazing characters around long enough to chew the scenery (with exceptions of Cricket, who has been my favorite for this season, and he was brought in and taken away too soon) .

MadSparkle fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Nov 8, 2016

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I think we can definitely rule out the possibility of them being helped out by Mott's ghost. They ran into him for real and he sure as hell didn't seem happy to see them.

In retrospect, it kinda makes sense. Every other ghost encountered in the house was murderous, even the Chens. Why would Mott's ghost just be a regular person who helps them leave the house so he can be a ghost all by himself?

gingersmurf
Feb 21, 2007

I am Nigeria's bitch.

El Tortuga posted:

But remember, it's been publicized that the three (Lee, Shelby, Matt) weren't telling the whole/real truth about what happened at the house so they could well have made up that the Butcher was pushed into the fire. I am holding out hope that this season will all be tied up neatly with explanations of any inconsistencies. And yes, I believe in Santa too.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

chitoryu12 posted:

I think we can definitely rule out the possibility of them being helped out by Mott's ghost. They ran into him for real and he sure as hell didn't seem happy to see them.

In retrospect, it kinda makes sense. Every other ghost encountered in the house was murderous, even the Chens. Why would Mott's ghost just be a regular person who helps them leave the house so he can be a ghost all by himself?

I was a little confused by the "real" Mott's ghost. We see him, he goes all screamy and/or spooky poo poo starts happening and they throw poo poo at him and he responds like "what the gently caress?". I'm still convinced that at least some of the supposed real ghosts we're seeing are the extras that were sent in by the producer to scare them.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

King Vidiot posted:

I was a little confused by the "real" Mott's ghost. We see him, he goes all screamy and/or spooky poo poo starts happening and they throw poo poo at him and he responds like "what the gently caress?". I'm still convinced that at least some of the supposed real ghosts we're seeing are the extras that were sent in by the producer to scare them.

Didn't they shoot at the ghost?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

chitoryu12 posted:

Didn't they shoot at the ghost?

They shot at it, it fell down, then it got back up and started coming towards them and they all ran screaming back into the house.

While I wouldn't be all that surprised if there's rigged fakery happening, they'd need to have a drat good explanation for why the ghosts are only harassing the stars and not the hidden crew.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

haveblue posted:

They shot at it, it fell down, then it got back up and started coming towards them and they all ran screaming back into the house.

While I wouldn't be all that surprised if there's rigged fakery happening, they'd need to have a drat good explanation for why the ghosts are only harassing the stars and not the hidden crew.

We don't know what the colonists were doing in the buildup to their appearance at the house (for all we know they were stringing up and torching the rest of the crew for episodes 6 through 8), but judging from the producer's trailer only having 3 people in it I'd imagine that only a skeleton crew was staying behind to monitor the cameras and everyone else is just hanging out at a motel in town.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Yeah I couldn't remember what they did, I just remember the ghost being confused or something. I guess it could be the real Mott confused at who these people are and why they're firing a gun at him.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

I think you guys are reading a little too into ghost-Mott. When Lee, Audrey, and fake Lee were in the tunnels, Lee had never seen Mott before and had no reason to believe it would be nice. Shelby, on the other hand, comments that Mott might be able to help them. Of course, then the Asian ghosts show up so we never get to see how Mott would have treated Shelby and Dominique. But it stands to be implied that there's at least some level of truth to Shelby and Matt's story of their escape.

I also think it's interesting to realize that Audrey has still not seen any of the ghosts. As far as she knows the only things to fear in the woods are the remaining Polks and possibly Agnes

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Come to me .... and live forever.
The logic behind the Mott ghost helping them was that Mott was a very private person and didn't want to be stuck with even more ghosts sharing his property. Assuming they fabricated his character completely, it's possible they read up on the history of the house and chose him as a sympathetic figure. Heck, maybe the producers were the ones who pushed for that angle and helped them fabricate it so they could have a further theatrical flair.

It kind of brings up the question as to how the original participants got involved with the show in the first place. Did the crew somehow find out about the police reports and track them down? Or, perhaps more likely, they sought out the show's producers in order to get paid and help offset the fact that they abandoned the house they had sunk their live savings into. It makes you wonder why they'd be so candid about the fact that Mason was missing/killed, but again, maybe this was their way of trying to explain it away. The ghosts ARE real after all.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

El Tortuga posted:

I think you guys are reading a little too into ghost-Mott. When Lee, Audrey, and fake Lee were in the tunnels, Lee had never seen Mott before and had no reason to believe it would be nice. Shelby, on the other hand, comments that Mott might be able to help them. Of course, then the Asian ghosts show up so we never get to see how Mott would have treated Shelby and Dominique. But it stands to be implied that there's at least some level of truth to Shelby and Matt's story of their escape.

I also think it's interesting to realize that Audrey has still not seen any of the ghosts. As far as she knows the only things to fear in the woods are the remaining Polks and possibly Agnes

Does Shelby actually suggest Mott helping them when they go into the tunnels? I just remember them wanting to escape that way because it led out into the woods and they figured it wouldn't be full of cameras (they underestimated Sidney's obsession).

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

chitoryu12 posted:

Does Shelby actually suggest Mott helping them when they go into the tunnels? I just remember them wanting to escape that way because it led out into the woods and they figured it wouldn't be full of cameras (they underestimated Sidney's obsession).

I don't have any direct quotes on hand, but I believe when Shelby and Dominique are in the tunnels she says something alone the lines of "if Edward is down here he might be able to help us". I imagine he may still have helped them, he just may not have been as friendly and charming as he was portrayed, given the very violent manner of his death.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

chitoryu12 posted:

Yup, I vividly remember her saying so because it jarred with the earlier Mott that zombie screamed at Lee etc.

MadSparkle
Aug 7, 2012

I guess there's always the possible explanation that ghosts aren't exactly emotionally stable, and who the gently caress knows how they're going to act on a case to case basis.

Perhaps ghost Mott was having a particularly bad day and then was like, Why the gently caress are there more people in this tunnel, I thought when I helped those last people out that would be the end of it, what is this poo poo.

Roulette
Sep 17, 2006
Am I mistaken or did Sarah Paulson accidentally call real Shelby "Lily" when she's helping her wrap a bandage around her shoulder after the Anges attack? I could have sworn she said "Open up Lily" instead of Shelby. Anyone else catch that?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

MadSparkle posted:

I guess there's always the possible explanation that ghosts aren't exactly emotionally stable, and who the gently caress knows how they're going to act on a case to case basis.

Perhaps ghost Mott was having a particularly bad day and then was like, Why the gently caress are there more people in this tunnel, I thought when I helped those last people out that would be the end of it, what is this poo poo.

Yeah, he helped them escape and then they came back. Dude is right to be all WTF.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Mott just wants to be left to rouge his nipples in peace. :(

MadSparkle
Aug 7, 2012

Facebook Aunt posted:

Mott just wants to be left to rouge his nipples in peace. :(

That's been one of my favorite moments in the show. I could've watched a couple of full episodes of Mott in the tub, spouting perpetual ennui :allears:

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Roulette posted:

Am I mistaken or did Sarah Paulson accidentally call real Shelby "Lily" when she's helping her wrap a bandage around her shoulder after the Anges attack? I could have sworn she said "Open up Lily" instead of Shelby. Anyone else catch that?
I thought I heard that at the time too, but I don't have the episode on my DVR anymore to go back and check.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

WhiteHowler posted:

I thought I heard that at the time too, but I don't have the episode on my DVR anymore to go back and check.

The first signs of a Trump presidency.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Scheduling update: American Horror Story is now airing on MSNBC, CNN, and Fox News. Please adjust your DVRs accordingly.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

Season 7 is nothing but a re-airing of CNN last night.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

On a brighter note, give or take how you react to it, fans may have figured out who Taissa's playing this season.

http://moviepilot.com/p/american-horror-story-season-6-episode-9-promo-taissa-farmiga/4139844

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
Oh poo poo megafans :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

I was wondering when ghost versions of people who'd just died would show. Pretty psyched.

• Locked thread