Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dick Milhous Rock!
Aug 9, 1974

:nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon:

legoman727 posted:

So does anyone really think the take-away from this will be "we didn't go leftist enough" and not "oh look, it turns out Progressives don't vote, gently caress them." The remainder of the dems are probably going to run right hard after this, while progressive causes are buried as we try to rebuild the 2 to probably 8 years of republican fuckery.

Yeah, it looks like populism, not progressive policies are the future.

Any attempt at trying to engage with someone factually or demand silly things like "equal protection" or "please stop killing people without cause" is being dismissed as liberal snobbery and condescension. Trying to run on as a party on "hey, there's a lot of hope in this country that things are getting better, and also we've tried our best to fix the economy in the face of unprecedented obstruction and mostly succeeded" was apparently not enough to overcome "Your life is poo poo but vote for me and all your dreams will come true." And the progressives that supported Bernie stayed home instead of sticking around and influencing the future of the party.

Basically, even with Bernie, progressive policies require explanation. Half our country doesn't want explanations, they just want someone who will tell them that they'll get what they want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Tight Booty Shorts posted:

Grab a hold of yourself man. Embracing nihilism isn't the alright thing to do lol

Yes nihilism is not the way. what you need is to embrwce solid, enduring values like blood and earth. These will never be so fickle and failure-prone as the campaign which betrayed you and left you to the ravages of the enemy.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Kilroy posted:

nah that has bad optics

do we still care about optics, do we still say that word - anyway bad optics

I want something with "Left" or "Leftist" in it like "American Left Party" but the alliteration there is bad

it's gotta be punchy but describe our goals reasonable well which is full communism now, also the animal's gonna be a bald eagle so we can get out in front of the patriotism stuff

American Worker's Party

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Crowsbeak posted:

You didn't even win the popular vote sociopath. We have no reason to treat with you.

Then trump supporters have no reason to treat with you

Enjoy your 8 years :smugdon:

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Dick Milhous Rock! posted:

Any attempt at trying to engage with someone factually or demand silly things like "equal protection" or "please stop killing people without cause" is being dismissed as liberal snobbery and condescension. Trying to run on as a party on "hey, there's a lot of hope in this country that things are getting better, and also we've tried our best to fix the economy in the face of unprecedented obstruction and mostly succeeded" was apparently not enough to overcome "Your life is poo poo but vote for me and all your dreams will come true." And the progressives that supported Bernie stayed home instead of sticking around and influencing the future of the party.

Basically, even with Bernie, progressive policies require explanation. Half our country doesn't want explanations, they just want someone who will tell them that they'll get what they want.

Let's not dance around it, Bernie would have fustigated Trump

People voted for the outsider who said he would stop shipping jobs overseas.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

This is probably true, yes. Obama won because he grabbed the country by the heartstrings and said look: you can have some optimism after the last eight years of being embarrassed constantly. We all thought it was because he offered good policies and was a generational campaigner but maybe it's literally as simple as boiling a message down to the most grade-school level of pathos imaginable and then shouting it over and over again while your opponent stutters about policy.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Pollyanna posted:

We're going to see a new party system come out of all this. Mark my words.

Why would the Republican majority let anything other than the status quo in which they keep winning pass?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Quick Draw McGraw posted:

I still am curious how many women Benrie has hugged without asking first.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Fojar38 posted:

Why is everyone expecting the fillibuster to be nuked

Because the Republicans have an upcoming four years (there is a zero percent chance of the Dems taking the Senate or House in 2018) of complete control over all three branches of government, which means literally the only check or balance remaining on their power at the federal level is the Senate filibuster, so if they get rid of that they have absolute free reign to do whatever the gently caress they want. The best part is that they also spent the last six years writing all the insane legislation they wanted and passing it in the House only to see it killed in the Senate or vetoed by Obama, which means they don't even have to waste time writing bills or keeping them in committee for a long time. The bills are already written, either by the politicians themselves or by lobbyists, and all they have to do is pass them. Four years is an incredibly long time.

And if they truly believe they can keep this going electorally, for example by passing voter suppression laws at the federal level, there's no reason for them to keep the filibuster around. They know from personal experience just how effective the filibuster is at stymieing the majority party, because they spent the last eight years doing that. They don't want to be on the receiving end when they could instead spend four years repealing everything Democrats have passed since 1920, cutting every tax they can get their hands on, and appointing Supreme Court justices who will rule that it's illegal to be a woman or minority in America.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000
by the way if I was going to run for public office where is a good place to start serious post. I live in a solid blue state

like should I look at statehouse stuff or just say gently caress it and run for House rep for some reason, and if the democratic party is toast then what third party should I pick or should I just make up my own to avoid the bullshit

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

My Linux Rig posted:

Literally :laffo: if you think that Donald loving Trump, noted con-man, is going to be able to politically survive the collapse of the odd levity with which we as a country have apparently hitherto regarded him. The actual best-case scenario for him is that he passes off all governmental responsibilities to evil but competent stooges and spends 24/7/365 jetting around the country making faces for the camera.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Trabisnikof posted:

I still am curious how many women Benrie has hugged without asking first.

Remember BernieBros? They'd probably double down on that

jwang
Mar 31, 2013

Nothing you care about matters and if you are rich and white life will be perfectly fine no matter what happens to the rest of the country

Also hitler had some good ideas

I love the automatic assumption that I'm rich and white. Have you ever considered the fact that once someone hits rock bottom, things can't really get any worse in their opinion?

Also, please list the ideas that Hitler had that were good. All I can think of is "scapegoating is a good political strategy" (it's still terrible) and "war for resources is totally acceptable" (it's not).

Dick Milhous Rock!
Aug 9, 1974

I voted for Bernie in the primaries, and I think it's wishful thinking that Bernie would have fustigated Trump at this point.

pocket pool
Aug 4, 2003

B U T T S

Bleak Gremlin

People voted for the outsider who said he would stop shipping jobs overseas.

Maybe literally.. At a debate.

There is absolutely no way to know this to be true, it's speculation.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Quorum posted:

Literally :laffo: if you think that Donald loving Trump, noted con-man, is going to be able to politically survive the collapse of the odd levity with which we as a country have apparently hitherto regarded him. The actual best-case scenario for him is that he passes off all governmental responsibilities to evil but competent stooges and spends 24/7/365 jetting around the country making faces for the camera.

So how is this different from what Obama did?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Say what you want about the tenets of Aryzing dude, at least it's an ethos.

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Debate & Discussion: voted facho > uspol november: Arzy was right

PKJC
May 7, 2009

jwang posted:

Because progress is always painful, and unless you want this progress to stay, it needs to be reinforced into our lizard brains by pain. The brief 8 years of the Bush administration apparently isn't painful enough, what with the recession and housing bubble; so this time I'm hoping that enough bad poo poo gets pushed through that people realize that touching the hot stove is bad, that letting a fire burn out of control will cause massive damage. This lesson needs to be taught in a fashion that tells the whole of US that the policies that benefits only a section of the nation is always a terrible policy, and instead should encompass the whole nation. The lesson that divides "us" and "others" is an entirely insane idea that only makes this great nation worse, and is anathema to progress needs to be seared into our historic conscience like the idea that Nazism, fascism, totalitarianism are TERRIBLE things, and letting little evils like curbing the rights of a minority is simply the first step towards that greater one. So that future generations can look back and say, "This is where America had its darkest hour, where they let the evils of the past rise again. Thank god we've vanquished that demon, and has remained ever vigilant for its return."

Ok, interesting theory. On the other hand, here's one thing that < 24 hours with another 70+ days BEFORE inauguration has gotten us

https://twitter.com/ZachStafford/status/796487996405063680

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

More like a quarter. The rest didn't show up for a candidate who while making promises spent most of her tome telling them she was better than Trump.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Tight Booty Shorts posted:

American Worker's Party
that's lame and most people don't identify as a "worker"

like 1920s-1930s leftism isn't coming back, time to fully digest and accept this fact

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Haha of course. By law the president has their tax returns audited every year, so what do you know Trump might just not be able to release them until 2034!

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

VROOM VROOM posted:

That would guarantee the end of the Democrats. I feel like they've only lasted as long as they have because they were ostensibly left enough that decent people would begrudgingly vote for them over the far-right insanity that is the Republicans. But people this year realized they're not different enough to really care.

Yeah Trump will definitely just be a third Obama term. I'm sure the next 4-8 years will show us that the two parties are basically identical

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

pocket pool posted:

Maybe literally.. At a debate.

There is absolutely no way to know this to be true, it's speculation.

Don't sugar coat it. Dont deny it. Just admit it. Search your feelings, you know it to be true. Bernie could have saved us, but he was betrayed by the Democratic establishment

Dick Milhous Rock!
Aug 9, 1974

My Linux Rig posted:

More like 6 to 18 months, depending on the first ISIS video insulting his tiny hands gets under his skin enough to launch a nuclear exchange and turn most of us into radioactive ash.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

More like 6 to 18 months, depending on the first ISIS video insulting his tiny hands gets under his skin enough to launch a nuclear exchange and turn most of us into radioactive ash.

Do you actually believe this

BioThermo
Feb 18, 2014

What's the over/under on Obama pardoning Assata Shakur? It would:

1) Not leave him with the dubious honor of leaving office with a black senior citizen on the FBI's most wanted list.
2) Be a middle finger to everyone who accused him of being a black radical for 9 years
3) Be a double middle finger to Chris Christie.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Don't sugar coat it. Dont deny it. Just admit it. Search your feelings, you know it to be true. Bernie could have saved us, but he was betrayed by the Democratic establishment

Nah he would have lost bigly.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Look at you, simpering like a little baby, sure brings back memories

Hey did bush ever get convicted of those "war crimes"

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

My Linux Rig posted:

Being that ill instead treat the eight million people who didn't vote. They won't be voting for your guy when he crashes the economy.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

My Linux Rig posted:

Look at you, simpering like a little baby, sure brings back memories

Hey did bush ever get convicted of those "war crimes"

Like how would isis turn us into nuclear ash. Hoe does that even work

pocket pool
Aug 4, 2003

B U T T S

Bleak Gremlin

He may have been but that doesn't change my point. I don't agree it would have been in the bag.

Frankly that's the attitude that got us here in the first place.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Crowsbeak posted:

Being that ill instead treat the eight million people who didn't vote. They won't be voting for your guy when he crashes the economy.

Aw don't worry, Trumpster got this one. You'll be winning so much that you'll be sick of winning.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

^
Winning being a euphemism for torturing people of course.

Lol if Trump names a kid to a major governmental post.

Like how would isis turn us into nuclear ash. Hoe does that even work

The isis video would just say "shot at isis HQ Times Square NYC" and bam Trump nukes New York

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

My Linux Rig posted:

You'll be winning so much that you'll be sick of winning.

I assume this is why white people get so mad about white people?

Dick Milhous Rock!
Aug 9, 1974

Crowsbeak posted:

More like a quarter. The rest didn't show up for a candidate who while making promises spent most of her tome telling them she was better than Trump.

I lot of them have also spent the last thirty years being told how horrible and scandalous she is. In hindsight, the right-wing noise machine going all in on Clinton for years seems like it was a better investment than it appeared. Normally if you cry wolf so often you get punished, not rewarded.

I attributed part of Obama's success in 08 not only to the flailing economy and distate for Bush, but also because the republicans had spent two years prepping for Clinton in the general and most of their canned stuff fell flat going after someone they'd had a lot less preparation for.

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

Bernie was actually gaining populist support for vast economic reform, at a moment in time when the western world is all about taking crazy leaps into the unknown. I don't necessarily think Bernie would have won, but I do think he would have done far better than Clinton. I think anyone would have struggled to beat Trump's complete immunity to consequences, and it would be difficult to campaign against him on the basis of actual policy, since his strategy involves endless ridicule of his opponent while eventually saying he will do both what they promise (but better) and the exact opposite. But Bernie had the best shot of robbing him of a bunch of working class white voters and stealing his anti-establishment thunder.

This loss is entirely on the democrats. We should have realised how deeply in trouble they were when Obama lost everything but the executive and they did basically nothing to try to change their approach. If anything it seemed to be a comfortable position for them where they could blame the republicans for the lack of change while still maintaining order and holding off the worst. If this doesn't cause them to focus themselves on working class economic issues than they deserve to lose forever.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

My Linux Rig posted:

Aw don't worry, Trumpster got this one. You'll be winning so much that you'll be sick of winning.

Yeah I doubt it. Probably just bailout his companies and banks. Then let America burn.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Kilroy posted:

:agreed: starting a new party brb

ah what should I call it

Labor Party.

Fojar38
Sep 2, 2011

Sorry I meant to say I hope that the police use maximum force and kill or maim a bunch of innocent people, thus paving a way for a proletarian uprising and socialist utopia

also here's a stupid take
---------------------------->

vyelkin posted:

(there is a zero percent chance of the Dems taking the Senate or House in 2018)

There is with that attitude. The Tea Party could do it, why couldn't a left-wing equivilent? A lot of people were completely and utterly shocked out of complacency over the last 24 hours and a lot of people are pissed off and frightened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Moon Atari posted:

Bernie was actually gaining populist support for vast economic reform, at a moment in time when the western world is all about taking crazy leaps into the unknown. I don't necessarily think Bernie would have won, but I do think he would have done far better than Clinton. I think anyone would have struggled to beat Trump's complete immunity to consequences, and it would be difficult to campaign against him on the basis of actual policy, since his strategy involves endless ridicule of his opponent while eventually saying he will do both what they promise (but better) and the exact opposite. But Bernie had the best shot of robbing him of a bunch of working class white voters and stealing his anti-establishment thunder.

This loss is entirely on the democrats. We should have realised how deeply in trouble they were when Obama lost everything but the executive and they did basically nothing to try to change their approach. If anything it seemed to be a comfortable position for them where they could blame the republicans for the lack of change while still maintaining order and holding off the worst. If this doesn't cause them to focus themselves on working class economic issues than they deserve to lose forever.

Except the Democrats were talking working class issues every single day but the media wouldn't cover it unless it is a goof or an attack on Trump.

Paid family leave, education for all, minimum wage increase and expanding jobs and retraining programs were a big part of their message. But you would never know by the media coverage.

• Locked thread