Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Where do I get passenger lounges? Are they basically cargo holds? Maybe a build like this would work? Would that build also be viable for doing Engineer stuff so I can get a better drive?

I'm actually still aligned with Space Princess. How long would it take to get level 3 reputation? I could try and fit a Prismatic generator in there but it seems like it's far too power hungry to make it worth my while.

Passenger lounges are in every station, with waiting passengers for you. If you're talking about passenger cabins, those essentially work like cargo holds for passengers, yes. They come in different flavours: Economy-class (Japanese hotel style), business-class (normal-sized cabins), 1st class (fancy cabins) and Luxury cabins (only Orca and Beluga can equip these).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Libluini posted:

Passenger lounges are in every station, with waiting passengers for you. If you're talking about passenger cabins, those essentially work like cargo holds for passengers, yes. They come in different flavours: Economy-class (Japanese hotel style), business-class (normal-sized cabins), 1st class (fancy cabins) and Luxury cabins (only Orca and Beluga can equip these).

Yeah, I meant cabins. Where do I get them? I assume they're supposed to slot in the same way a cargo hold does?

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Yeah, I meant cabins. Where do I get them? I assume they're supposed to slot in the same way a cargo hold does?

Buy them from the Outfitting menu. Some stations don't offer them, but lots do. Try a few neighboring stations. When all else fails, head to a high-tech economy with a biggish population.

edit: And yeah, equipment-wise they slot in exactly like a cargo hold. Higher quality cabins hold fewer people, in a way that should be kind of obvious.

Trustworthy fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Nov 8, 2016

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Trustworthy posted:

Buy them from the Outfitting menu. Some stations don't offer them, but lots do. Try a few neighboring stations. When all else fails, head to a high-tech economy with a biggish population.

edit: And yeah, equipment-wise they slot in exactly like a cargo hold. Higher quality cabins hold fewer people, in a way that should be kind of obvious.

Fair enough. I stopped by a couple stations and didn't see them so I figured I would ask. Is it better to go for more people or better quality early on?

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Trustworthy posted:

I love the little diagrams in outfitting. First Class and Business are both like fancy living rooms with furniture and stuff. Economy Class is just a bunch of shipping containers stacked with ladders, like if those Japanese Pod hotels didn't come with a TV.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
Man multicrew is gonna be so fuckin' cool with fighters. Those things are a goddamn blast to fly, and if you had a buddy you were cooperating with...

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Grondoth posted:

Man multicrew is gonna be so fuckin' cool with fighters. Those things are a goddamn blast to fly, and if you had a buddy you were cooperating with...

This is one of the reasons why I hope the Clipper eventually gets a fighter. It's practically a fighter on its own, so both would be a ton of fun to fly.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Where do I get passenger lounges? Are they basically cargo holds? Maybe a build like this would work? Would that build also be viable for doing Engineer stuff so I can get a better drive?

I'm actually still aligned with Space Princess. How long would it take to get level 3 reputation? I could try and fit a Prismatic generator in there but it seems like it's far too power hungry to make it worth my while.

Passenger cabins are another internal slot like cargo bays. They have all of them at Jameson's Memorial! :dance:

Bi-weave shields are widely considered better than prismatics (half the recharge time with basically no difference in EHP), especially on larger ships, so everyone ignores powerplay now unless you want those cool missiles.

deadly_pudding posted:

I love the little diagrams in outfitting. First Class and Business are both like fancy living rooms with furniture and stuff. Economy Class is just a bunch of shipping containers stacked with ladders, like if those Japanese Pod hotels didn't come with a TV.

Don't knock the pods: more than enough room for Ruby Rod ~and~ a flight attendant in one of those! :colbert:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/5btu9y/suggestion_the_clipper_should_have_a_hanger/

:allears:

year199X
Oct 9, 2012
Grimey Drawer
My immersion is dependent on you not having fun.

Mouko
Nov 27, 2004

Jagwah.
A player in a FDL just tried to rob a guy in a Cutter and me in my AspE while we were collecting gems in Maiki.

I knew I brought those railguns along for a reason. :smug:

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

deadly_pudding posted:

I have a Business class cabin only but I take a bunch of Economy passengers since they're the most common ones around. Everyone gets an upgrade! :buddy:

BRB pooping
Apr 17, 2008
Is there any plans for structured PvP for our ships? Im guessing it´s a nightmare to try and balance, but right now PvP seems like a gank-or-be-ganked-situation. CQC is cool, just want the same thing with my main ship

Arach
Oct 3, 2003

Dive! Dive! Di... are you diving yet?
Grimey Drawer
The new "I killed Lowtax"

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
I wish you could still read the bios of hireable crew once you already have three people hired. I just like browsin' and seeing if there's anybody with a cooler backstory than my current dudes.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Trustworthy posted:

I wish you could still read the bios of hireable crew once you already have three people hired. I just like browsin' and seeing if there's anybody with a cooler backstory than my current dudes.

I wish we got a fuckin weird procedurally-generated madlibs resume. I only want to hire pilots who went to law school :colbert:

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

Mouko posted:

A player in a FDL just tried to rob a guy in a Cutter and me in my AspE while we were collecting gems in Maiki.

I knew I brought those railguns along for a reason. :smug:

How do railguns compare with plasma accelerators?

Also, got my Sol permit yesterday. The tourist sites actually have some lore and backstories about the Elite universe.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

MoraleHazard posted:

How do railguns compare with plasma accelerators?

Also, got my Sol permit yesterday. The tourist sites actually have some lore and backstories about the Elite universe.

I prefer the railguns because, despite the charge-up time, they're still hitscan. Plasma fixies might as well be flak cannons, as far as my ability to aim them is concerned. I would probably mount them on a Clipper or other battering ram-type ship.

Morningwoodpecker
Jan 17, 2016

I DIDN'T THINK IT WAS POSSIBLE FOR SOMEONE TO BE THIS STUPID

BUT HERE YOU ARE
You can mod railguns so they run on fuel, no ammo limit but a bit less damaging.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Morningwoodpecker posted:

You can mod railguns so they run on fuel, no ammo limit but a bit less damaging.

Wait, really? That sounds awesome.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Morningwoodpecker posted:

Wait is this a serious post?? gently caress this changes everything

Edit: plasma slug, possible side effect. That's awesome and lovely at the same time, guess it's time to grind.

Mr. Crow fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Nov 9, 2016

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Very good mod for a fer-de-lance.

Einbauschrank
Nov 5, 2009

Dabir posted:

Very good mod for a fer-de-lance.

I tried it. I sucked. I guess it's a case of git gud.

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.

It's odd for reddit to be so :goonsay: about it.

It also strikes me as odd that the SLF capable ships are all high end (the keelback is an abomination), it's not frontier-like to do that.

I don't necessarily agree with 'has size 5, gets fighter bay' but more ships should be redone to have them - all the dropship variants, clipper (make a clipper mk2 if one must), t7 and such.

Chrysophylax fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Nov 9, 2016

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
If every ship can poo poo out an SRV on demand then they should be able to poo poo out and retrieve fighters the same way, more or less.

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.
I'm not seeing how a bay would fit the Asp, without moving its entire bottom.

On the other hand that would be hella cool

Morningwoodpecker
Jan 17, 2016

I DIDN'T THINK IT WAS POSSIBLE FOR SOMEONE TO BE THIS STUPID

BUT HERE YOU ARE

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Wait, really? That sounds awesome.

From Inara

"Plasma Slug, Experimental upgrade allowing plasma slug ammo to be generated directly from ship fuel, at the cost of reduced damage."

Can confirm really good fun, fit an extra fuel tank and a scoop for insane levels of dakka.

Einbauschrank
Nov 5, 2009

Chrysophylax posted:

It's odd for reddit to be so :goonsay: about it.

It also strikes me as odd that the SLF capable ships are all high end (the keelback is an abomination), it's not frontier-like to do that.

I don't necessarily agree with 'has size 5, gets fighter bay' but more ships should be redone to have them - all the dropship variants, clipper (make a clipper mk2 if one must), t7 and such.

I actually can see the logic. It's no fun manoeuvring an Anaconda or a Keelback, so the fighter bay is an exit option. The Clipper is already nimble.

Pryce
May 21, 2011
I tried installing VoiceAttack so I could have some sweet, sweet AI conversations, but it feels like the voice recognition is complete garbage and I don't understand what I'm doing wrong. I ran through the Windows training program twice already, and VoiceAttack still thinks anything I say is complete nonsense, and can't recognize the most clear, simple words.

Am I just supposed to run the training program like 30 times? Does it actually improve the software noticeably? Or is it a microphone issue (using a Blue Yeti, if that makes any difference)? Any advice?

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
I thought Voiceattack would be fun but I ran the windows thing three times and gave up because gently caress you if you can't understand half impulse.

Have in the polls
Have in polls
Have in the polls

year199X
Oct 9, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Welcome to me trying to play Binary Domain. Voice commands just don't do it for me, which is a shame because VoiceAttack sounds really cool.

Pryce
May 21, 2011

Mailer posted:

I thought Voiceattack would be fun but I ran the windows thing three times and gave up because gently caress you if you can't understand half impulse.

Have in the polls
Have in polls
Have in the polls

Yep, that's my literal experience.

I wonder if maybe it doesn't ultimately matter what words VA is translating you as saying? If you're being 'consistent' enough maybe the voice profiles will still work? I'm scared to try it in-game because I feel like whatever I say will immediately be translated into "self-destruct".

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
Dropship doesn't have a hangar.
Gunship does.

This makes no sense.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
Why wouldn't you say "half speed" or "half throttle?"

"Impulse" is from another scifi series: no wonder VA doesn't recognize it. :colbert:

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Why wouldn't you say "half speed" or "half throttle?"

"Impulse" is from another scifi series: no wonder VA doesn't recognize it. :colbert:

That's really the secret of Voice Attack, in my experience. If it's having a hard time with a particular word, don't fight it; use a different word.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Had my first encounter with a neutron star after 2.2 hit release today. And woah, that was kind of an intense thing! Super-charging my FSD worked (after my first try nearly fried me due to being too fast when plunging into the ejection cone) and I jumped straight to another one. And super-charged again.

Too bad I have to stop playing for today, because I now seriously contemplate using neutron stars to get around. At least as long as I can find some in range. :v:

This is great fun! As long as I keep an eye on my FSD, that is. It's already lost a couple percentage points thanks to my antics.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Libluini posted:

Had my first encounter with a neutron star after 2.2 hit release today. And woah, that was kind of an intense thing! Super-charging my FSD worked (after my first try nearly fried me due to being too fast when plunging into the ejection cone) and I jumped straight to another one. And super-charged again.

Too bad I have to stop playing for today, because I now seriously contemplate using neutron stars to get around. At least as long as I can find some in range. :v:

This is great fun! As long as I keep an eye on my FSD, that is. It's already lost a couple percentage points thanks to my antics.

I like that it damages the FSD: explorers now have a reason beyond paranoia to take an AFMU or two!

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Looks like gems are still working. What's the cool new place to offload at?

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

Shlapintogan posted:

Looks like gems are still working. What's the cool new place to offload at?

Any anarchy system with a blackmarket. I'm using boyajian vision in rautandji and getting almost 61k per can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Trustworthy posted:

That's really the secret of Voice Attack, in my experience. If it's having a hard time with a particular word, don't fight it; use a different word.

Technically speaking the problem isn't with Voice Attack, the problem is with Windows' own voice recognition routine (which VA uses). The problem here is that the Windows VRR is 'weighted' to expect certain most 'common' words - in other words, if it isn't 100% certain of a word, it makes an 'educated guess' on the most common similar words. This is why when you go 'deploy shield cell' you might get 'deploy shield sells' and such.

You can actually mitigate this my teaching Windows new words, though! Here's a handy link.

• Locked thread