Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Background noise is your friend. I've been watching Mad Men while masking. It helps having English dialogue so you can keep your eyes on your work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

MJP posted:

Background noise is your friend. I've been watching Mad Men while masking. It helps having English dialogue so you can keep your eyes on your work.

For the same purpose, I usually have a basketball or DotA game on in the background. The occasional big play also gives me a reason to take a short break every now and then.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
I've been leaving Xena : Warrior Princess on while I build and paint :toot:

vv X-Files and Leverage are two other shows I have chosen, but yeah I tend to stick to english language shows for it even though I watch tons of subbed stuff.

Caitlin fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Nov 9, 2016

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

My build show is generally whatever I have an interest in watching but not watching actively, and is also dubbed. Got through two seasons of Shana that way.

Otherwise it just defaults to X-Files because I'll never finish that show in my lifetime.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

My build show is generally whatever I have an interest in watching but not watching actively, and is also dubbed. Got through two seasons of Shana that way.

Otherwise it just defaults to X-Files because I'll never finish that show in my lifetime.

Same with me and The Wire or House of Cards

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

If I watch something I want to pay full attention to it, so I mostly use podcasts while i'm building.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Droyer posted:

If I watch something I want to pay full attention to it, so I mostly use podcasts while i'm building.

Even that splits my attention too much. Music or silence.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I build in my katana room blindfolded in the dark in complete silence

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

To be fair, the silence goes away as soon as I start up the compressor and fume hood.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
If you missed pre-orders for MB F91, I've heard good things about Kirin Hobby.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
I spent election night building most of one leg on my RG Atray Red Frame.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

BlitzBlast posted:

If you missed pre-orders for MB F91, I've heard good things about Kirin Hobby.

Kirin is good people. They ship preordered stuff very quickly. I've ordered figures from them many times.

Meanwhile, 1999's latest email has revealed that the UC Hardgraph Semovente tank and EX Model Hildolfr are getting reprints. Both are commanding huge prices on Ebay right now - so much for Gunpla retirement futures.

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10055462

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10081018

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Do the Tamashii Stage stands work well with HG-sized models? I want to build an Origin Tri-Stars display but I can't find a good base, so I was going to use the Trident Plus stand for it.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Yes.

Quad
Dec 31, 2007

I've seen pogs you people wouldn't believe
Well, poo poo, I got hooked.

Last couple months, I've now built:
HG RX-78-02
HG Gundam Wing Zero
HG Barbatos
HG Grimgerde
HG Zaku II
Capsule Size (like 3.5in) RX-78-02

And I'm up to the waist on an RG RX-78-02.

My backlog is Finishing The Stickers on my Zaku, learning to highlight/panel line, and the RG.
Thinking about tackling an MG soon, prolly either a Zaku II or a RX-78-02, so I can have like, 3 sizes of the same dude.
Which Zaku/ which RX-78-02 MG kit looks best? They both have like 3 different kinds minimum.

Quad fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Nov 11, 2016

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
For MG, the One Year War RX-78 and the Origin RX-78 are the prettiest.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Quad posted:

Well, poo poo, I got hooked.

Last couple months, I've now built:
HG RX-78-02
HG Gundam Wing Zero
HG Barbatos
HG Grimgerde
HG Zaku II
Capsule Size (like 3.5in) RX-78-02

And I'm up to the waist on an RG RX-78-02.

My backlog is Finishing The Stickers on my Zaku, learning to highlight/panel line, and the RG.
Thinking about tackling an MG soon, prolly either a Zaku II or a RX-78-02, so I can have like, 3 sizes of the same dude.
Which Zaku/ which RX-78-02 MG kit looks best? They both have like 3 different kinds minimum.

excellent collection. How are you folding your boxes?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Your only real choices Zaku wise are one of the 2.0 line or the upcoming Psycho Zaku.

For the RX-78-2, get the Origin version.

EDIT: Dragon Momoko is also doing a MB Strike Freedom kit.

gently caress my life. :negative:

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Nov 11, 2016

Quad
Dec 31, 2007

Fauxtool posted:

excellent collection. How are you folding your boxes?

https://gbofchicago.wordpress.com/2016/07/06/displaying-gunpla-boxes/

Using a bit of glue to keep the flaps together, and once I get my new set of shelves up, using stickytack or whatever to put them on the wall behind my anime robits.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
thats a good idea, so many of the box arts are excellent

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Dragon Momoko is apparently getting some new machines in, and hinted at a possible MB F91 kit.

If that does happen, get ready for PE and detail painting hell.

Quad
Dec 31, 2007

But now I can only make like 3 more ever, otherwise the box art won't match up with the dude in front of it. :(

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Quad posted:

But now I can only make like 3 more ever, otherwise the box art won't match up with the dude in front of it. :(

Choose wisely!

Since I was out of town for most of October I couldn't complete the diorama I intend to enter so I made this in my hotel room today.

MS S&M

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

BlitzBlast posted:

You get two MG Unicorns in one box.

I was wrong! The red/green titanium Unicorn just gives you two sets of psychoframe runners.

I guess you can make the christmas tree Unicorn???

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

:colbert:

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BlitzBlast posted:

I was wrong! The red/green titanium Unicorn just gives you two sets of psychoframe runners.

I guess you can make the christmas tree Unicorn???

I knew it was something stupid like that

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

I was going back and forth with MS S&M OR MS&M. I think I'll go with what you went with.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

A dude from Dragon Momoko went onto reddit to answer questions.

My opinion of DM has gone up a lot.

Also they said a MG Stargazer is in planning.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Quad posted:

Thats what Im going to do with my p-bandai exclusive gouf boxart when I get around to building it. Thats a good look.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
FIGHT

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Now that I have my own scanner, I am free of Dalong's low res manual scans!

Before:

After:

I tried it out, and these scans are clean enough you can use them to test color schemes. And they're not even the highest I can make this scanner go. :toot:

Also if you were ever curious what everything on the God was, here:

quote:

01. Main Camera
02. Dual Camera
03. Multipurpose Blade Antenna
04. Field Reduction Antenna
05. 60mm Vulcan
06. Field Reduction Camera
07. Machine Cannon
08. Shoulder Armor

09. Cockpit Hatch
10. Energy Multiplier Gate
11. Energy Emission Point "Illusion"
12. Energy Emission Point "Dream"
13. Energy Emission Point "Shadow"
14. Energy Emission Point "Foam"
15. Energy Emission Point "Lightning"
16. Energy Emission Point "Dew"

17. Intake
18. Beam Sword
19. Front Armor
20. Knee Joint Armor
21. Manipulator
22. God Finger Protector
23. Main Nozzle
24. Core Lander

25. Rear Armor
26. Rear Sensor
27. Protector Claw
28. Duct
29. Ankle Armor
30. Leg Thruster Cover
31. Cockpit Hatch
32. Tilted Wing Binder

Pretty boring stuff, honestly.

EDIT: Sadly, colored lineart doesn't play with fill buckets well.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Nov 12, 2016

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

BlitzBlast posted:

A dude from Dragon Momoko went onto reddit to answer questions.

My opinion of DM has gone up a lot.

Also they said a MG Stargazer is in planning.

Huh, that's pretty cool. They did straight up bootlegs for a while, now they're doing custom modifications for enthusiasts, and soon they'll branch out into full blown unique molds. I'm pretty excited to see where they take things.

I can't wait for their PG Unicorn to arrive.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Hey, cool, that's a much smaller sticker sheet than the original 1/100 Barbatos had.

It gets even better when you remember that all the gold stickers are for the inner frame, which you won't see 90% of the time.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

BlitzBlast posted:

EDIT: Sadly, colored lineart doesn't play with fill buckets well.

I think that might be because you have some bleed through of the page behind. Most scanner software I've used let's me adjust black/white levels etc. to get a cleaner scan.

Or you can just touch it up in photoshop or something.

edit: Also taking a closer look they both appear to have quite bad compression artifacts.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
What's the deal with the Figure-Rise line? Are they just HG kits of Dragonball Z characters?

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:

BlitzBlast posted:

Pretty boring stuff, honestly.

Tech specs are the true path to complete nerdom. Sei Iori style.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Grabbed a cheap Zaku II FZ that was on sale at my local shop. Really nice design, with a few weird parts based on its age. It came out in 2009 so it predates universal joints, but it has stuff like the pelvis swivel that has become standard on most of the Mobile Suit Discovery kits. Not sure how I feel about the back and side skirts being attached with only a single polycap, but it works well enough, and the front skirts look really good. If there was a way to splice together the front skirts from this suit to the skirts on the Origin Zaku II it would look great with a coat of paint.

KobayashiMaru
Dec 10, 2013

Yeah that's super duper dumb. Why not focus on the new season?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Hahahahahahaha.
It's so cute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

KobayashiMaru posted:

Yeah that's super duper dumb. Why not focus on the new season?

Completionism? If the first season is getting total, top-to-bottom kit support, that may actually be quite a good sign for how much they're willing to invest in S2.

This may also be an indicator, of course, that there will be an S2 machine based on the Rouei. This silhouette looks pretty suggestive.