Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

Venom Snake posted:

:smith:

I am not dismissing this. I am here. Listening.

Ok, good. That's it. There is no other step. There should be, but no one expects one. They just want that first thing to happen.

I guess what I'm getting at is "there is no what else"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

Raskolnikov38 posted:

3rd parties do not work, take over the dnc from the inside while they're weak

its this, resist the goofy leftist impulse to create 1000 warring parties. We must build strength and take over an organization. The Dems are rudderless, lets steer the loving boat

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!
Its also not just white elites who demonize the poor we've got the whole country to do this. I went to a 2/3rds black high school and do you know what the two main insults black people would level at each other? It was that you were either 'ghetto' or 'country'. Class isn't just a white thing its a human thing and maybe it should be something that we pay attention to.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Kithkar posted:

The fact is you are both right, and everyone is at fault. Those poor whites really did vote against their own self interest while the democrats really do need to listen to them. But listening to them doesn't mean we can do what they want. There is no reviving their industries as they had them, we have to help them in other ways.

Then find some other common ground I guess. Dunno what, Im not a highly paid political strategist. But listening instead of brushing them off as flyover racist hicks no one needs would be a hell of a start, because it turns out the Democratic Party absolutely needs them to succeed.

Also never underestimate the capacity for a group that has no hope to want to take out everyone else out of spite. Middle America strapped on a suicide vest and blew Clinton out of the election just to send a gently caress you to the rest of America. If their life is going to fall apart, everyone is going to suffer with them.

Selfish as gently caress, yeah, but then so is trying to build your coalition with only city dwellers and minorities from their point of view.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Strep Vote posted:

Ok, good. That's it. There is no other step. There should be, but no one expects one. They just want that first thing to happen.

The big problem is the left is going to need to go from the advising roll to the leading roll. You have a party desperate for leadership in it's darkest hour.

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

Strep Vote posted:

you can be the richest sumbitch on the planet, but if you act like you like someone, they might vote for you.

The Democratic Party's very policies such as tpp/bank bailout/penalties for not having insurance bullshit has demonstrated very clearly that you do not like these people very much. You have been judged by your actions. If you had just said you wanted to do better this time, then this whole thing might have been avoided.

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

Venom Snake posted:

The big problem is the left is going to need to go from the advising roll to the leading roll. You have a party desperate for leadership in it's darkest hour.

It's me. I'll do it. I will whip your poo poo party into ship shape, motherfucker.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
pick me.

i have nothing better to do, tbh. besides my job i guess.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Hello

Love trumps hate was an insanely bad slogan. That's about all I have for this exact second.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Venom Snake posted:

*gavin newsom's mouth begins watering*

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
man if it pays a good $10 an hour I'll run yer drat party

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

triple sulk posted:

Hello

Love trumps hate was an insanely bad slogan. That's about all I have for this exact second.

trumped up trickle down economics

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Not a Step posted:

Also never underestimate the capacity for a group that has no hope to want to take out everyone else out of spite. Middle America strapped on a suicide vest and blew Clinton out of the election just to send a gently caress you to the rest of America. If their life is going to fall apart, everyone is going to suffer with them.

Selfish as gently caress, yeah, but then so is trying to build your coalition with only city dwellers and minorities from their point of view.

It wasn't even spite though. They were given two options. "False Hope" and "Hope? Hope For What? Things Are Fine!"

The odds of the False Hope working are like .00001% but the odds of the other option was zero because there's no chance of something happening when you're doing nothing.

These people lost careers and pensions and benefits and their homes in some cases and Clinton's response was basically that it's all good because now they can drive over to the Amazon Warehouse and pack up a copy of the new James Patterson book and ship it to the wife of the guy who moved their jobs all for a minimum wage.

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة
no way you vultures, i already called dibs on the low pay poo poo job ITS MINE

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

triple sulk posted:

Hello

dont forget "dangerous donald"

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Venom Snake posted:

and then a nightmarish image of Bob Avakian handing out Absolute Basics to Dems flashed in my head :cripes:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

anime was right posted:

at least she only used that one once

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

anime was right posted:

i wince every time

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

DEAL.

ME.

IN!!!!

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

sportsgenius86 posted:

I know it's been said a million times how lovely of a candidate Clinton was but it is absolutely unreal that she could make herself substantially less relatable to rural white people than an egotist millionaire dickbag reality show host.

It's unreal to the point that it's near impossible to do without purposely trying to do it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBq6xbUIrf8

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Hillary would've been better off with dumb poo poo like Cheeto Benito than anything she actually used.

Wyld Thang
Feb 23, 2016

Venom Snake posted:

the left doesn't have anyone, and won't have anyone for a very long time.

it took over 25 years to go from reagan to obama. reagan didn't have both a republican senate and house when he got in.

trump has both, and the democrats are going to get shellacked in the upcoming midterms, again in 2020, 2024, etc.

maybe in 2028 the democrats run a bill clinton-like centrist who'll do whatever a republican congress passes just to stay in office, followed by another eight years of a republican centrist who'll lose congress at some point in the middle of their second term.

yeah, 2044 will probably be the year.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Cheeto Benito makes me smile when I read it so, yes, it turns out this would have been a good direction to go in

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
How are your dwarves?

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

i think we should at least TRY to have unity instead of immediately eating ourselves, though i am also guilty of this and apologize

e: unity between left i mean, not with trump gently caress him

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

The "Pokémon go...to the polls" joke was as bad as Trumped Up Trickle Down

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
on the plus side by natural attrition the total republican popular vote will likely be somewhere around 58 million in 2020 so maybe by then dems will find someone who can underperform obama's reelection by only five million votes

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Baloogan posted:

How are your dwarves?

We captured a giant and a bronze colossus today. The colossus name was the Golden Nothing lmao

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene

triple sulk posted:

Hello

-"america is good because america is great"
-"I'm with her"

-as someone pointed out claiming sanders would achieve nothing simply because it's impossible to achieve anything without the house. then once sanders was done switching to, "you will get nothing from us you needy racist millenial/hicks, and you will like it"

the cumulative GOTV messaging here is that the work is already done, and now its up to the electorate to help hillary defend the status quo, not even that hillary will help defend hard won gains for those who vote for her (contrast this with "I am your voice"). Difficulty is, no one believes the status quo is worth defending. So yeah, absolutely astounding.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Weeping Wound posted:

and then a nightmarish image of Bob Avakian handing out Absolute Basics to Dems flashed in my head :cripes:

speaking of i definitely saw at least one of chairman bob's acolytes holding a sign at one of the trump protests tonight

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

cargo cult posted:

-as someone pointed out claiming sanders would achieve nothing simply because it's impossible to achieve anything without the house. then once sanders was done switching to, "you will get nothing from us you needy racist millenial/hicks, and you will like it"
And by nothing, you mean a complete and total concession on virtually everything in her platform, essentially just changing the name at the top of the ticket while keeping everything Bernie supporters said they liked. THe result - they actually felt cheated on it.

That's a takeaway that cannot be dismissed or downplayed - the leftist coalition is not motivated by policy, its always about a charismatic leader. Saying "their only recourse is to go left" from the most progressive platform in history, is just ignoring the reality for a convenient fantasy.

Kithkar
Apr 23, 2011

I'm gonna RENOVATE your ass!
Yes, and this anti-status quo feeling isn't going to go away. But in four years, thats going to be Trump and the republicans, and things are only bound to get worse. I honestly wouldnt be surprised if we had a number of one term presidents for the next few cycles, until everyone realizes that the system as is is what's loving us.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
About the Supreme Court, the Democrats simply have to hang on until a midterm victory in 2018, correct? They'll fold on Scalia's replacement, but Ginsburg can live another 2 years, can't she?

Kithkar
Apr 23, 2011

Rand alPaul posted:

About the Supreme Court, the Democrats simply have to hang on until a midterm victory in 2018, correct? They'll fold on Scalia's replacement, but Ginsburg can live another 2 years, can't she?

She only has to make three and we can use their own stupid loving precedent against them.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Fulchrum posted:

And by nothing, you mean a complete and total concession on virtually everything in her platform, essentially just changing the name at the top of the ticket while keeping everything Bernie supporters said they liked. THe result - they actually felt cheated on it.

That's a takeaway that cannot be dismissed or downplayed - the leftist coalition is not motivated by policy, its always about a charismatic leader. Saying "their only recourse is to go left" from the most progressive platform in history, is just ignoring the reality for a convenient fantasy.

literally no one bought that they were gonna fight for a single loving thing on that platform

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Oh Snapple! posted:

literally no one bought that they were gonna fight for a single loving thing on that platform

She never talked about it because the staff were scared theyd alienate voters hahahahahaahahahahahahahaha kill me

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

sportsgenius86 posted:

It wasn't even spite though. They were given two options. "False Hope" and "Hope? Hope For What? Things Are Fine!"

The odds of the False Hope working are like .00001% but the odds of the other option was zero because there's no chance of something happening when you're doing nothing.

These people lost careers and pensions and benefits and their homes in some cases and Clinton's response was basically that it's all good because now they can drive over to the Amazon Warehouse and pack up a copy of the new James Patterson book and ship it to the wife of the guy who moved their jobs all for a minimum wage.

I like to give people the benefit of the doubt and generally think everyone is acting in their own best interests and sometimes those interests conflict or aren't mutually shared interests, but on this one Im gonna disagree and say a lot of those middle American voters knew exactly what they were doing and voted Trump out of pure spite and bile for the coastal elites who abandoned their towns to rot, rather than any misplaced hope that Trump can really turn back time.

Id really rather be wrong about this but my heart tells me sometimes people just wanna give the world the middle finger when they feel everything is hopeless and out of control.

E: And if youre confused why they would turn to a billionaire New Yorker to spite coastal elites, remember the news coverage. Hollywood hated Trump. Politicians of all stripes hated Trump. The media hated Trump. Pretty much everyone who wasnt from flyover country hated Trump. He was a rich rear end in a top hat who everyone they were angry with hated. He was perfect as a vehicle of pure gently caress you.

Nix Panicus has issued a correction as of 08:34 on Nov 10, 2016

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Venom Snake posted:

She never talked about it because the staff were scared theyd alienate voters hahahahahaahahahahahahahaha kill me

yeah that was... bad

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
"America is already great" was the most tin-eared loving response, especially when you want to court the vote of minorities who have and continue to suffer in the system, let alone the rust belt and other areas where decent jobs have been replaced with lovely, at-will service ones. Clinton's rhetorical overtures had been to defend the status quo, which almost nobody likes on any side; her kind of politics were completely wrong for the era and opposition we were facing. It's not about her intellectual abilities or competence; her allies and backers were widely (and frankly accurately) portrayed as being amongst the very elite that had orchestrated the pain that spiked in 2008; let alone poo poo like seeking endorsements from monsters like Henry Kissinger. How were 2008-coalition voters supposed to be excited about her?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kithkar
Apr 23, 2011

Venom Snake posted:

Why is it the Obama era dems are a bunch of goddamn cowards?

• Locked thread