Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I honestly don't like Ozma because he's 100% luck based. A good superboss has powerful attacks, yes, but you should be able to defend against them somewhat. If they didn't give him Meteor he'd be much better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.
On the other hand, I do appreciate that while Ozma is relatively luck-based, he's also got a fair bit less HP than most superbosses. With bosses like the Weapons Emerald, Ruby, and Omega in FF7 and 8, Penance in X, or Yiazmat in FF12, you can run strategies where your team is basically unkillable, but you also have to sit through like an hour of cutting down their HP by about 0.1% per hit with absurdly-long animations until they finally loving die.

Icetongue
Jun 22, 2015

Bufuman posted:

On the other hand, I do appreciate that while Ozma is relatively luck-based, he's also got a fair bit less HP than most superbosses. With bosses like the Weapons Emerald, Ruby, and Omega in FF7 and 8, Penance in X, or Yiazmat in FF12, you can run strategies where your team is basically unkillable, but you also have to sit through like an hour of cutting down their HP by about 0.1% per hit with absurdly-long animations until they finally loving die.

Dark Anima in Final Fantasy X is a wonderful example of this. When you are ready for the optional content and the Dark Aeons, you more or less are immune to every negative status, have enough HP not to get one-shot ever and all abilities on all characters, so the only thing that could make the optional bosses threatening are absurd HP-pools. The battle against Dark Anima basically consisted of spamming one ability for half an hour with some heals thrown in for good measure.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
FFXII unfortunately decided it needed some silly time sinks to properly simulate that MMO experience. The way chests work is rubbish and the three big worms are tedious. I only ever fought Yiazmat because it was the last thing I hadn't done in a game I dearly love.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

George posted:

FFXII unfortunately decided it needed some silly time sinks to properly simulate that MMO experience. The way chests work is rubbish and the three big worms are tedious. I only ever fought Yiazmat because it was the last thing I hadn't done in a game I dearly love.

IZJS and the upcoming HD port (which is IZJS with a better name) addresses this significantly. Chests are completely overhauled and aren't luck based (and there is a sane way to get the infamous Zodiac Spear), there's no longer a damage cap (or maybe they just raised it to 99999), and oh yeah there's a global 2x fast forward button.

The really dumb thing about the lingering vengeful spirit of Yasumi Matsuno is that on top of his 52 overlapping health bars, when you get him down to about half of that he'll put up a passive for the rest of the fight that arbitrarily reduces all damage by 30% - calculated after the damage cap is applied, meaning that you're arbitrarily limited to 6999 damage from that point on, just as an added gently caress you. Of course, in IZJS he still has this ability, but it's significantly less bullshit because your damage numbers against him are uniformly higher, so you're not hitting an arbitrary cap and then getting nerfed. As a result of all this, the whole fight goes much faster but doesn't feel nerfed.

Vanilla FFXII was really weird.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Icetongue posted:

Dark Anima in Final Fantasy X is a wonderful example of this. When you are ready for the optional content and the Dark Aeons, you more or less are immune to every negative status, have enough HP not to get one-shot ever and all abilities on all characters, so the only thing that could make the optional bosses threatening are absurd HP-pools. The battle against Dark Anima basically consisted of spamming one ability for half an hour with some heals thrown in for good measure.

Surely you just paid Yojimbo to slice almost every dark summon?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Yaizmat at extremely low health casts Reflect on your party.

So if you've been healing through Renew? Congrats, Yaizmat now has 40 million HP back. Start all over!

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

So if you've been healing through Renew? Congrats, Yaizmat now has 40 million HP back. Start all over!

I'd heard he had a fullheal trick, but this is just evil. This is like "Persona 3 final boss last form charms a character with a fullheal spell" evil.

Though can't you actually leave the fighting arena and he won't regain lost hit points when you start fighting him again, sorta like between rounds with Doomgaze back in FF6? Can you just go save when he starts to get low and reset if he pulls that Reflected Renew bullshit and save yourself a few more hours?

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

Bufuman posted:

I'd heard he had a fullheal trick, but this is just evil. This is like "Persona 3 final boss last form charms a character with a fullheal spell" evil.

Though can't you actually leave the fighting arena and he won't regain lost hit points when you start fighting him again, sorta like between rounds with Doomgaze back in FF6? Can you just go save when he starts to get low and reset if he pulls that Reflected Renew bullshit and save yourself a few more hours?

Persona 3's final boss is mostly made harder because of the battle system
but they really shouldnt scale healing spells to begin with

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Bufuman posted:

Nope he goes back to full.
Also if you keep him unoccupied long enough he renews himself.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

I don't remember how Bubble interacts with Reflect or Yiazmat, but imagine the horror of bouncing both back onto him and watching him now have 80 million HP.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
isn't there some accessory that allows you to cast spells through reflect? or am I thinking of reflect-null?

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

"This woman...she's killed before, and not just once..."

Ozma is a baffling boss. Like it's weird and lazy that it's just a giant evil marble, but at the same time it does look intimidating from the perspective. I wonder what significance its name has. It reminds me of Legaia's main Ra-Seru; Meta, Terra, and Ozma, and my first reaction was thinking it was related to a third planet, in an Eidolon grave for whatever reason.

The one time I beat it that I remember I think it wound up killing itself by casting Doomsday. Frustrating that the fight is basically taken out of your hands.

I did like that XIV turns it into Ramiel basically. That's rad.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

morallyobjected posted:

isn't there some accessory that allows you to cast spells through reflect? or am I thinking of reflect-null?

Theres one accessory that makes you pierce reflect but considering you want genii gauntlets (more combo) on your perma zerked damage dealers and status immunity on your healer, its not worth it.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Icetongue posted:

I never saw Penance until HCBailly fought him in his FFXLP years ago.

All you do for that fight and every other fight is spam Attack Reels. The rest of the optional fights, the real challenge of these fights, is the absurd grinding you need to do to be ready for them. The fights themselves? Spam Attack Reels.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

All you do for that fight and every other fight is spam Attack Reels. The rest of the optional fights, the real challenge of these fights, is the absurd grinding you need to do to be ready for them. The fights themselves? Spam Attack Reels.

I think you mean grinding gil and overdrive gauges so you can just play RNG Russian Roulette on Yojimbo's Zanmato, which is both more enjoyable and less time consuming.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Bufuman posted:

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Actually you can leave without him resetting, at least in the original FFXII, I'm not certain about IZJS. If you leave him unoccupied long enough he will first cast some buffs on himself (Bravery, Hasta, Faith, and Protect/Shell I think?) and if after that you are still lingering around doing nothing he will start healing himself (though I dont think he uses Renew, he just heals large chunks of Hp ever 3 seconds or so)

So you actually have a good amount of time to flee and exit the screen to resume the battle later. This is the only way I have beaten Yiazmat, chipping 3 or 4 bars at a time, cause screw sitting through that whole tedious fight! The first time I fought him, due to how I had my gambits set, I fell for the Reflect trick before I could do anything, but I simply reset and reloaded and only lost a 4 bar progress instead of the whole fight.

lezard_valeth fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Nov 10, 2016

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Bufuman posted:

He dosen't cast Renew himself this way, he just reflects your party which can snag you if you're using Renew. If you heal off of Curaja it's just a few thousand back and an awkward phase where the most efficient endgame healing is unavailable.

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

"This woman...she's killed before, and not just once..."

NikkolasKing posted:

I think, as a fight, Dark Bahamut at least tries making things interesting with his aoe debuffs every five turns that you plan around to keep everyone buffed and stuff, makes the fight more engaging even if you're still hitting him with multi-hit attacks. Plus he has less HP than the other later DAs to not be as ridiculous.

But yeah it's a shame cuz a lot of the setups for the battles are kinda cool.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
The way OoA speedruns fight Yiazmat is really great, at least. They abuse a summon AI glitch to clog the ability queue with a dying Esper so Yiazmat is stuck waiting to do an ability but never can, then have the characters in low-HP berserker mode combo him to death for the whole fight.

It's like a 40-minute long break in a 30-hour run.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.

Zeikier posted:

I wonder what significance its name has.

Only thing I know is Ozma is the Queen of Oz, a series of books by L. Frank Baum. For whatever reason, she was turned into a boy and mindwiped or something, and then gets returned to her rightful place. So, 2 section marble for 2 sex ruler? :iiam:

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Rigged Death Trap posted:

No, Bufuman is right, he does not heal if you leave the arena. So you can save and come back another day. The only time he heals if you hang out in his zone for a long time when he can't target you; then he'll cast regen on himself and get health back very quickly. So if you decide to stop fighting him you really have to leave; you can't hide behind the geometry to regroup where he can't hit you.

Edit: whoops, people already addressed this.

Schwartzcough fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Nov 10, 2016

AnotherGamer
Jan 12, 2007
Please change my name to "The Guff Machine"

Mega64 posted:

EXP, a nice chunk of gil, and a Protect Ring. Not too shabby!

This is another hard-to-notice example of Japan's obsession with number puns: the default amount of experience you get is 23852, which comes out to 5963 per party member, along with 59630 Gil. 5963 can be read as "gokurosan", which is Japanese for "good job".

Khmer_Ruse
Mar 31, 2010
No matter how ineffective the eidolons are in battle at least there usable if you figure out how to boost them with gems. Compared to the nonsense of vanilla 12 where summoning mechanics, like the zodiac spear, are sealed off by ridiculous conditions completely opaque to a player. Which brings us to the Ozma fight and the ATB shenanigans, also it's meteor is a different spell to any other meteor cast in the game so there is nothing that can reliably mitigate its impact, if those two things were altered it would be my favourite fight in the series. However from a story perspective I wish more was done to establish Ozma, keep some mystery but with more foreshadowing. Zidane says it's an eidolon cave but this is jarring because the nature of eidolons is elusive even to the summoners, he may as well have called it a mystery hole. The friendly monster quest could have added some lore to the mix, drop cryptic hints about the existence of another ancient eidolon like with Alexander. Or have some of the many in game characters who mention eidolons give their theories on how or if they can be destroyed. Personally I would have made Tantarian a lost grimoire relating to the legend of Ozma which in defeat would effectively stop the myth perpetuating, fitting in with its aesthetic of power without form. As it is everything about Ozma seems lazy or perhaps rushed and not fleshed out fully, its the critique that mires the last act of the game and is in unfortunately contrast to the rest.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
frankly I find the design the most interesting part of it
that and its just drat intimidating the way it does its attacks
but more backstory would have been nice

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Never knew about the 100% ATB pre-counter. I thought maybe a few years ago I heard he countered everything as his gimmick.

As for my plan, since I never ground up Thievery or Quina I ran with Steiner Vivi and Freya. Zidane would be heal bot, Vivi and Freya would be fine lobbing Flares or Dragon Crests, but obviously Steiner would be susceptible to mini.

It wasn't a sure thing obviously, but now knowing that you should queue up everything during his attack animations would probably make it more reliable than how I used to play it.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Steiner can actually get around Mini by using Darkside. :eng101:

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
To those who suggested I do the Nero Brothers side quest:

gently caress you.

e: At this point I'm estimating five more updates to finish the game.

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Nov 11, 2016

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy

Mega64 posted:

gently caress you.

Isn't the reward an accessory that you can find early disc 3 and has long outlived its usefulness by disc 4?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Yep!

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Mega64 posted:

gently caress you.

And now have we removed all doubts that this is, indeed, a true JRPG LP!

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Mega64 posted:

Oh drat I better hurry up on those level 1 game updates!

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Mega64 posted:

gently caress you.

I hope your game doesn't crash during it like mine did.

I was usually pretty diligent about saving, too, but this time I lost about four visits of progress. :negative:

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Nov 11, 2016

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

Mega64 posted:

gently caress you.

Well darn. I kinda wanted to see how that poo poo plays out.

OFS, you've clearly demonstrated that you're significantly crazier than Mega here, maybe you could get on that for us?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

It's done. Took me an incredibly long time to do, but it's done. I'm gonna show it off separately from the final dungeon since it'd break the flow of the dungeon's cutscenes. It'll be in the next update along with the final dungeon intro stuff.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Now get the Excalibur II

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

I set fire to the rain watched it pour as I touched your face

Fister Roboto posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIM-Zo2xsNw

Ozma was made into a boss in the latest 24-man raid in FF14. At the time it came out and for a significant time after, it was the hardest boss outside of the savage 8-man raids, not because the mechanics are difficult, but because any of the up to 23 agents of chaos that you get matched with can completely ruin your day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfAXRqkgrtk

Also, the music of the dungeon Ozma is in is reminiscent of FF9's battle theme.

That player fighting Ozma has the worst HUD layout I have ever seen.

Also how could you link the Mhach theme but choose calm over battle?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwOVnEIMMyM

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

Mega64 posted:

It's done. Took me an incredibly long time to do, but it's done. I'm gonna show it off separately from the final dungeon since it'd break the flow of the dungeon's cutscenes. It'll be in the next update along with the final dungeon intro stuff.

Ah, so that was a "I hate all of you and everything you jerks stand for" gently caress You, rather than the "Oh, screw that!" version. Neat!

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I definitely wouldn't have the patience for that. The final dungeon, while gorgeous, is a slog without the small cutscenes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bluerocker
May 30, 2013

Never trust anything with beady eyes and a knife. Especially if it offers hugs.

Fister Roboto posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIM-Zo2xsNw

Ozma was made into a boss in the latest 24-man raid in FF14. At the time it came out and for a significant time after, it was the hardest boss outside of the savage 8-man raids, not because the mechanics are difficult, but because any of the up to 23 agents of chaos that you get matched with can completely ruin your day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfAXRqkgrtk

Also, the music of the dungeon Ozma is in is reminiscent of FF9's battle theme.

SloppyDoughnuts posted:

That player fighting Ozma has the worst HUD layout I have ever seen.

Also how could you link the Mhach theme but choose calm over battle?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwOVnEIMMyM

Man, the more I see of XIV, the more I wish my computer wasn't a toaster that can barely run much of anything. It's so neat seeing all the shoutouts to the series in the game - and as someone else said, Ozma taking a Ramiel change in form was a really neat move. I like how it has that sort of ethereal/reflective effect when it changes shapes.

Also, since we're posting stuff from 14 involving Ozma, the poster for those music sections also caught a neat theme that plays involving Ozma as well (though I don't know the exact context, so fair spoiler warning for gameplay footage).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAIrh0040S4

• Locked thread