Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~
pretty cool how prescient ROTS was.

by cool i mean loving depressing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Equeen posted:

pretty cool how prescient ROTS was.

by cool i mean loving depressing.

it wasn't really prescient it was just mimicking events that had already happened all over the world throughout the 20th century, except now that poo poo happened to us.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Yea Palpatine's rise to power is pretty standard dictator stuff. Fool the majority into giving you as much executive power as the existing system allows, then leverage that into more and more power until you're a de facto dictator. Hopefully Trump won't get us into a bullshit war and then use that to argue for more executive power but it wouldn't really be all that shocking. Its been done before, but as it turned out Bush and Obama weren't complete lunatics.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Phi230 posted:

it wasn't really prescient it was just mimicking events that had already happened all over the world throughout the 20th century, except now that poo poo happened to us.

It was mimicking events from far before that. That's why it's a good story. It can be applied to almost any period or culture at any time and place throughout human history and still be relevant. It's never going to be dated.

There's also the running motif where naive political idealism can turn you into a fascist Sith Lord. That can be applied to the current political climate in any number of exciting ways.

Basebf555 posted:

Yea Palpatine's rise to power is pretty standard dictator stuff. Fool the majority into giving you as much executive power as the existing system allows, then leverage that into more and more power until you're a de facto dictator. Hopefully Trump won't get us into a bullshit war and then use that to argue for more executive power but it wouldn't really be all that shocking. Its been done before, but as it turned out Bush and Obama weren't complete lunatics.

It's more basic than that because Lucas ties it all into human psychology on an individual level with the intertwining Anakin arc: Basically, everyone is afraid of losing the security of the nurturing mother--either as the result of her death or due to a perceived loss of affection on her part towards the subject--and in the presence of a pre-existing maladaptive authoritarian streak the subject will come to identify with and crave a strong father who will save/defend the mother through total domination of her. That nurturing mother is of course the subject's comfortable, unchanging view of the world and society.

The movies aren't just about how you get people to install authoritarian leaders in positions of governmental power. It's about how guys like Trump come to exist in the world in the first place.

Cnut the Great fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Nov 9, 2016

Filthy Casual
Aug 13, 2014

Basebf555 posted:

Hopefully Trump won't get us into a bullshit war

Episodes X-XII will be set here.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
Remember when star war was just about a star war

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Zeris posted:

No.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
The star war can still just be about a star war if you want. Making allegorical connection is fine. Watching at surface level is fine too.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Sometimes a starwar is just a starwar.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Zeris posted:

The very first Star Wars movie was in large part an allegory about the issues surrounding the Vietnam war and Nixonian American which Lucas made because he had to pull out of directing Apocalypse Now. Star Wars was never just about a star war.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Cnut the Great posted:

The very first Star Wars movie was in large part an allegory about the issues surrounding the Vietnam war and Nixonian American which Lucas made because he had to pull out of directing Apocalypse Now. Star Wars was never just about a star war.

It's actually about current American politics. See, the rebels see this powerful black dude giving orders to all these white dudes and they get mad as hell. So they get a basket of other white dudes, including an old white dude who speaks only in lies, and completely destroy everything the black dude worked for.

You need to be careful, C-Nut the Great.

UmOk fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Nov 10, 2016

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Star Wars was always about at least two star wars.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

UmOk posted:

It's actually about current American politics. See, the rebels see this powerful black dude giving orders to all these white dudes and they get mad as hell. So they get a basket of other white dudes, including an old white dude who speaks only in lies, and completely destroy everything the black dude worked for.

You need to be careful, C-Nut the Great.

I don't get it, why do I need to be careful?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I've been rewatching the prequels lately.

quote:

ANAKIN. I had a dream I was a Jedi. I came back here and freed all the slaves...have you come to free us?

QUI-GON : No, I'm afraid not.

ANAKIN : I think you have...why else would you be here?

George Lucas at least has flashes of brilliance as a writer. Anakin's core being and the course of his entire life are set up in one scene.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Cnut the Great posted:

I don't get it, why do I need to be careful?

Because you may end up with a bad case of Avatar Syndrome. This would reduce your fuckability considerably

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Halloween Jack posted:

I've been rewatching the prequels lately.

George Lucas at least has flashes of brilliance as a writer. Anakin's core being and the course of his entire life are set up in one scene.

Would have been cool if Anakin led a slave revolt on Tatooine after becoming a Jedi. Spartacus in space!

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

teagone posted:

Would have been cool if Anakin led a slave revolt on Tatooine after becoming a Jedi. Spartacus in space!

Anakin agrees with you!

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I was surprised to find that it was Natalie Portman's performance that gives me the most trouble. Some aspects of her performance as Queen Amidala can be explained as her putting on a show, speaking in this nonspecific, unemotional "accent." Parts of her performance as Padme can be explained as her being a privileged child eating at a table with poor people and others way outside her comfort zone. But then there are times when she just, uh, mumbles.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Brand spanking new international trailer for Rogue One.

Much dopeness contained therein.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTl_Tt3dhPw

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
RIP Jedha

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

teagone posted:

I think i read this fanfic

(although it was after he became Darth Vader which has its good and bad parts)

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Well now we know for sure that they'll test the Death Star on what is presumably a "lighter" setting, only demolishing a continent or two, and not an entire planet. Probably not a coincidence that they choose a planet on which a huge Jedi-statue was loathing around.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

BigglesSWE posted:

Well now we know for sure that they'll test the Death Star on what is presumably a "lighter" setting, only demolishing a continent or two, and not an entire planet. Probably not a coincidence that they choose a planet on which a huge Jedi-statue was loathing around.

Wasn't blowing up Alderan the test? This prequel is already retroactively making the old movies bad!

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

UmOk posted:

Wasn't blowing up Alderan the test? This prequel is already retroactively making the old movies bad!

I think Alderaan was the first full-power shot.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

UmOk posted:

That was the first shot of the fully powered device. Motti's dialog implies that the battle station being "fully operational" was a fairly recent development.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

ungulateman posted:

I think i read this fanfic

(although it was after he became Darth Vader which has its good and bad parts)
I like the idea that Vader never returned to Tatooine after the events of AOTC. In ANH it's noticeable, if not intentional at the time, that he never actually goes to the surface even though following the plans is basically the point of his mission.

Unfortunately, neither version of the EU has gone this route.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Vader did apparently go back to Tattooine in the recent comic series, though. Dude even met Jabba the Hutt.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Lord Hydronium posted:

I like the idea that Vader never returned to Tatooine after the events of AOTC. In ANH it's noticeable, if not intentional at the time, that he never actually goes to the surface even though following the plans is basically the point of his mission.

Unfortunately, neither version of the EU has gone this route.

He already went back in the TCW movie. But he admits that it's painful for him.

The idea in the old canon was always that he never went back after becoming Vader, nor would he ever want to, and that's part of the reason Luke was safe there.

Gonz posted:

Brand spanking new international trailer for Rogue One.

Much dopeness contained therein.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTl_Tt3dhPw

I notice they're going for the A New Hope version of Vader with red eyes and helmet unattached from collar. I wonder if they also made the face-mask asymmetrical like the original:

(Episode III helmet vs. Episode IV helmet comparison--recreations, but they seem to be accurate)

http://www.starwarshelmets.com/RotS2ANHvader_comp.htm

Cnut the Great fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Nov 10, 2016

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Gonz posted:

Vader did apparently go back to Tattooine in the recent comic series, though. Dude even met Jabba the Hutt.
That's what I meant, yeah, that neither the old or new EU went with the idea that he would avoid Tatooine.

Cnut the Great posted:

The idea in the old canon was always that he never went back after becoming Vader, nor would he ever want to, and that's part of the reason Luke was safe there.
Ah, I forgot about TCW. But yeah, it works just as well if it's only post-Vader, however...see the above post. It's unfortunately not an idea that writers have been willing to explore. I think Legends had him going there during Shadows of the Empire too.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Cnut the Great posted:

I notice they're going for the A New Hope version of Vader with red eyes and helmet unattached from collar. I wonder if they also made the face-mask asymmetrical like the original:

(Episode III helmet vs. Episode IV helmet comparison--recreations, but they seem to be accurate)

http://www.starwarshelmets.com/RotS2ANHvader_comp.htm

I bet you some comic book will have his mask be messed up meaning he'll get a new one inbetween IV and V. Also, I love the trailer, but I can't wrap my head around that arm of his. It really looks strange to me.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Cnut the Great posted:

Yeah, from everything i've read about Vader in RO, they were pretty adamant about recreating an exact replica of Vader's Episode IV helmet and outfit. Everything looks pretty good so far, i'd say.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Cnut the Great posted:

The earliest reports we got about Vader being in Rogue One were leaks from the costume shop. They said they absolutely were going for the asymmetry in an attempt to make it a totally seamless transition.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

^^ That's one of those things that I honestly could go either way with. It's really cool that they're going for accuracy with the old movie, but I know that the asymmetry wouldn't have been there at all if IV was done with the same budgets and stakes as the rest of the movies. I can forgive any "glitches" in costume designs of what was essentially a beta-version of the Star Wars universe.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.
This has probably come up before. But I just watched Episode VII again and it occurs to me that even though Rey has been presented as a big mystery that no one except maybe Luke knows the answer to, Rey herself knows exactly who she is, her connection to the original cast and Kylo Ren, and is just playing dumb throughout the movie. Probably because she was instructed to do so by whoever left her on Jakku.

This would explain why she's so hell bent on getting back to Jakku, why after her visions she says she wants nothing to do with Jedi stuff, and why her force powers come seemingly out of nowhere. They didn't, she just hadn't used them in a long time while remaining incognito on Jakku.

Edit: I'd also like to add that the looks on Luke and Rey's faces at the end of the movie, plus the fact that Rey just stands there with the dangerous end of a lightsaber pointed at Lukes face, makes it seem like they are not at all happy to see each other. Bad blood being dredged up from the past I wonder? Probably thinking about it too hard.

Esroc fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Nov 11, 2016

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Every Star War is a story set long long ago, in a galaxy far far away, so I don't really care if a costume is exactly the same. I admit I don't want Vader's armor to be, say, lime green.

Is it a failure of the movie that I don't care who Rey's parents are? Is it my fault?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

It's my fault. And I would do it again.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

BigglesSWE posted:

^^ That's one of those things that I honestly could go either way with. It's really cool that they're going for accuracy with the old movie, but I know that the asymmetry wouldn't have been there at all if IV was done with the same budgets and stakes as the rest of the movies. I can forgive any "glitches" in costume designs of what was essentially a beta-version of the Star Wars universe.

Yes, if it were up to me I would just make the best Vader mask I could with the current technology, because I don't hold any special reverence in my heart for the mundane imperfections resulting from the unrefined propmaking technology of the 1970s. But it's not up to me. Everyone else at the moment seems to be into making things retro just for retro's sake, instead of considering what's best for the story.

Like, I have to say it doesn't really make much thematic sense for Vader, the representative of the orderly, precision-obsessed, assembly line technological Empire to have a metal mask that's a shoddy, poorly-machined, asymmetrical mess, but overall I guess it's a minor issue.

feedmyleg posted:

The earliest reports we got about Vader being in Rogue One were leaks from the costume shop. They said they absolutely were going for the asymmetry in an attempt to make it a totally seamless transition.

And this is also kind of a fatuous rationale, given that Vader's helmet changes its appearance in each OT film following A New Hope to become less shoddy-looking and more symmetrical, as it was supposed to be in the first place.

Also, just watching A New Hope, it's obvious that Lucas creatively shot Vader's scenes from certain angles specifically to try to obscure the helmet prop's asymmetry. Basically, it's a silly decision all around.

Cnut the Great fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Nov 11, 2016

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
The thing is, though, that the slight asymmetry of the original trilogy helmets gives Vader some of his presence- human faces are not symmetrical and by having a helmet that's not perfect, it looks more 'human' to the viewer, on a subconscious level. The Ep 3 helmet has always looked a bit off because it is too symmetrical - you get the same effect if you take a picture of your face and then divide it down the middle and mirror one side- it looks 'off' because it's now too symmetrical. Kinda related to the uncanny valley effect.

I know the effect is supposed to be to make Vader appear machine like and inhuman, but once you're used to the imperfect look from the OT, it makes the newer Ep 3 design subconsciously a bit odd, just because it's not the same face the part of your brain that is in charge of recognizing faces, recognizes.

Tezzoro
Nov 11, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Where is the poster in opposition that has not been decried as Tezzoristic by his opponents in power?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tezzoro
Nov 11, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Without going into too much detail, just a reminder that if you a) are a human adult who is not mentally disabled and b) think the Star Wars prequels were not some of the worst big-budget movies ever made, it's probably because your parents were unfit to raise a child.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

• Locked thread