Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
one thing on my mind - is there like a correction factor in polling for This Person Might Be loving Lying On Purpose?

Might it be going forward? or is that just rolled into margin of error

lots of 'the polls were bad the polls were bad' and i'm just wondering how. how did they gently caress up numbers that badly without there being -- and i suspect this was the case -- an organized polling deception effort? any insight onto that would be a+

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wyld Thang
Feb 23, 2016

Pathos posted:

Here's an outstanding question I have:

Why the gently caress did Hillary pick Tim Kaine? Sure, I get that he's a nice guy and all that but he's not super enthusiasm-creating. Why did she not pick Sanders or loving SOMEONE that would have appealed to the Bernie people? Tim Kaine was the most "well, more of me!" choice there possibly could have been. I just do not understand it.

Thanks for this thread. It is beyond fascinating.

Kaine had to be on the ticket for reasons like his support for amnesty, NAFTA, TPP, Obamacare, etc.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
what was a serious strategic mistake was trying to flip AZ and a bunch of other red state shitholes, based on polls, instead of playing defence

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Jonny 290 posted:

one thing on my mind - is there like a correction factor in polling for This Person Might Be loving Lying On Purpose?

lots of 'the polls were bad the polls were bad' and i'm just wondering how. how did they gently caress up numbers that badly without there being -- and i suspect this was the case -- an organized polling deception effort? any insight onto that would be a+

honestly, its hard to say. i know you posted something about a facebook meme about lying to the pollsters being passed around, but really, what was the penetration of that meme in the communities of interest? a few hundred? a few thousand? a few tens of thousand, in a population of a hundreds of thousands to millions? and what were the odds that a polling hit would land on someone actively deceiving the polls (remember, there are lots of other questions in a poll)

i suspect a more likely answer is the people who answered they'd vote trump voted trump, the people who answered they'd vote hillary a few weeks before election day ended up staying at home

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

super sweet best pal posted:

I heard unironic statements to the effect of "it's her turn" at the caucuses, mostly from old women who wanted to see a female President in their lifetimes and were willing to ignore everything about her.

If they can live another 4 years they can probably vote for Warren

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
Warren's only a year younger than Clinton I don't think she's gonna be running for poo poo at 71 except running to take a poo poo.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...62d1_story.html

Burn it all down

They relied on a lovely vote algorithm, and wouldn't release details until after the election, and it was completely wrong. Mook a mook.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Phobophilia posted:

i suspect a more likely answer is the people who answered they'd vote trump voted trump, the people who answered they'd vote hillary a few weeks before election day ended up staying at home

This, plus Republicans fell in line, while rust belt democrats... didn't.

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Jonny 290 posted:

Modern pollsters face an existential problem, in that they really don't have a clue how to model turnout (equivalently, they don't know how to predict the demographic breakdown of likely voters). This is on top of the difficulty of actually getting a representative sample now that landlines are becoming obsolete, young people screen calls etc. This particular election was particularly bad, it looks like there was an average systematic polling bias of ~+4% in favor of Clinton in swing states. It seems this bias was largely due to pollster's assuming Democrat turnout would be similar to the 2008+2012 elections, which it clearly wasn't. It's infuriating that they can perform so badly and retain any credibility.

An organized polling deception effort is effectively impossible, pollsters contact people randomly and you'd have to get thousands of people to keep it secret. Incompetent pollsters is the much more likely reason.

edit:

Nonsense posted:

Burn it all down

They relied on a lovely vote algorithm, and wouldn't release details until after the election, and it was completely wrong. Mook a mook.

That's even worse than I thought. However public pollsters were presenting much the same picture. Frankly Nate Silver was the only public figure who was critically evaluating the potential for large systematic bias in polling data. He was widely criticized for assuming unrealistically large uncertainties in poll results to make his predictions, but he was clearly right to do so.

Nocturtle has issued a correction as of 13:06 on Nov 10, 2016

Quasimango
Mar 10, 2011

God damn you.
Speaking as an Australian, our polling is pretty much always spot on, because we have compulsory voting and therefore no need to guesstimate who's going to show up.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Nocturtle posted:

That's even worse than I thought. However public pollsters were presenting much the same picture. Frankly Nate Silver was the only public figure who was critically evaluating the potential for large systematic bias in polling data. He was widely criticized for assuming unrealistically large uncertainties in poll results to make his predictions, but he was clearly right to do so.

The Vindication of Nate Silver by President-Elect Donald Trump

Quasimango posted:

Speaking as an Australian, our polling is pretty much always spot on, because we have compulsory voting and therefore no need to guesstimate who's going to show up.

Does this mean that you got to find out that the Aussie people were going to vote in Tony Abbott ahead of time? That must have been fun, like finding out the day you are going to die

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
If we had Compulsory Voting then Harambe would be president right now.

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Peanut President posted:

If we had Compulsory Voting then Harambe would be president right now.

Still a better outcome than Trump.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
People going "Geez why did the working poor identify with a NY billionaire?" are really stupid. He may be a billionaire, but he also went on WWE and took a stunner from Steve Austin and shaved Vince McMahon's head.

No self respecting Manhattan socialite would even entertain the idea of that in a million years.

That's why the working poor trusted him. He was basically them, but successful with a hot wife. How is this not self evident.

This election was basically us proving every stereotype about liberals being out of touch being completely 100% right.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Thundercracker posted:

People going "Geez why did the working poor identify with a NY billionaire?" are really stupid. He may be a billionaire, but he also went on WWE and took a stunner from Steve Austin and shaved Vince McMahon's head.

No self respecting Manhattan socialite would even entertain the idea of that in a million years.

That's why the working poor trusted him. He was basically them, but successful with a hot wife. How is this not self evident.

This election was basically us proving every stereotype about liberals being out of touch being completely 100% right.

It's painful to even think about but yeah, if working people don't have representatives who are actually connecting to their interests then they'll vote for the first person who appears to, whether they actually give a gently caress about them or not.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Nonsense posted:

Burn it all down

This is the most Hillary thing possible.

Thundercracker posted:

Lena Dunham also hates him, and I guarantee every member of the working poor who can identify Lena Dunham hates her and therefore is well disposed to the things she hates

Sub out 'Lena Dunham' for basically any Hollywood star who through their hat into Hillary's corner if you want

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
too bad that trump doesnt actually give a gently caress about them either, else he would have paid his contractors

oh yeah, i just remembered, trump's gonna end net neutrality. now your rare pepes will load 10 times slower

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I don't think anybody in the real world gives a poo poo about Lena Dunham, or even knows who she is, but people are definitely likely to get angry at the deluge of actual celebrities like Lady Gaga telling them who to vote for from fancy TV stages, dressed in expensive suits and covered in jewelry, especially these days.

Clinton should have gone for some "common folk" celebrities, I wasn't really joking when I said get Willie Nelson on the phone.

VVV
Speak of the devil.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

how to win rural and working class whites:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kic1wyYI6k

how not to win rural and working class whites:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YttscNOoAjA

Yudo
May 15, 2003

Nonsense posted:

Burn it all down

Perhaps we can hope that Mook will not be getting further employment for the democrats.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Not a Step posted:

This is the most Hillary thing possible.

Wait, I take it back. Not making her concession speech while her supporters crashed and burned, then being two hours late the next day is the most Hillary thing possible

But using a secret algorithm to predict voting outcomes and ignoring anything that ran counter to her inner circle (including her own two time president husband, lol) is easily the second most Hillary thing possible.

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I am so very glad to see criticism of this NPR-superstar crap starting to come from anyone besides conservatives, because it is all loving exhausting.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Nonsense posted:

Tay is at it again!

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Or maybe just have an economic message more substantial and appealing than "lol factories aren't coming back idiots. Maybe we can build some green energy? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯"

The "good" news is that no one in a Trump admin is going to give a poo poo about workers, so there's a good chance of fixing this if Democrats can get their poo poo together in a couple yearaaahahahahaha :shepicide:

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

yeah im pretty sure the trump admin is going to be one disaster after another and its the GOP is going to be in deep poo poo 2020

or who knows, reagan was an incompetent buffoon and well, 1984

Shao821
May 28, 2005

You want SHOCK?! I'll SHOCK you full of SHOCK!

mrmcd posted:

Or maybe just have an economic message more substantial and appealing than "lol factories aren't coming back idiots. Maybe we can build some green energy? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯"

The "good" news is that no one in a Trump admin is going to give a poo poo about workers, so there's a good chance of fixing this if Democrats can get their poo poo together in a couple yearaaahahahahaha :shepicide:

The Democrats will have years of civil war before that happens.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Quasimango posted:

If we tried to pass compulsory voting in the USA, the first thing conservatives would point to is that they have it in North Korea. Not to say that it's a bad thing...

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Shao821 posted:

The Democrats will have years of civil war before that happens.

I'm not optimistic about too many things right now, but I think this loss is shocking enough that the DNC will have no legitimacy in the party anymore and the progressive coalition will take charge.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

CheesyDog posted:

I am so very glad to see criticism of this NPR-superstar crap starting to come from anyone besides conservatives, because it is all loving exhausting.

this poo poo is humiliating and awful and i was never proud of or stood behind anything like this

this poo poo i will light on fire the next time i see anybody try.

Wyld Thang
Feb 23, 2016

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

how to win rural and working class whites:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kic1wyYI6k

how not to win rural and working class whites:

neither of those won. how exactly was bernie going to help family farming? they're both terrible celebrity ads that don't say anything relatable.

political ad firms are horrible and must be destroyed. trump barely ran any ads in the general and won because hillary ran ads attacking him for months on end.

this is how you get money out of politics.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

yeah im pretty sure the trump admin is going to be one disaster after another and its the GOP is going to be in deep poo poo 2020

or who knows, reagan was an incompetent buffoon and well, 1984

I think the real take away from American politics over the last half century is that we should under no circumstances allow actors to run for president. It will always end in tears.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

Pathos posted:

Here's an outstanding question I have:

Why the gently caress did Hillary pick Tim Kaine? Sure, I get that he's a nice guy and all that but he's not super enthusiasm-creating. Why did she not pick Sanders or loving SOMEONE that would have appealed to the Bernie people? Tim Kaine was the most "well, more of me!" choice there possibly could have been. I just do not understand it.

Thanks for this thread. It is beyond fascinating.

She would have lost VA too if she hasn't

Okonner
Dec 11, 2008

by exmarx
So, Venom, or anyone else who might know - How can I, humble shitposter, get involved in the Democratic Party machinery to start working on fixing it and making it not poo poo? In NC.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

Venom Snake posted:

She never talked about it because the staff were scared theyd alienate voters hahahahahaahahahahahahahaha kill me

oh my god

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

exquisite tea posted:

I'm not optimistic about too many things right now, but I think this loss is shocking enough that the DNC will have no legitimacy in the party anymore and the progressive coalition will take charge.

Also pretty likely: Spending years arguing how much more racist and dumb we should act to win back "white working class" voters while ignoring the fact that a black guy named Barack Hussein Obama with tons of very visible elite celebrity friends already had them in our camp.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Wyld Thang posted:

neither of those won. how exactly was bernie going to help family farming? they're both terrible celebrity ads that don't say anything relatable.

political ad firms are horrible and must be destroyed. trump barely ran any ads in the general and won because hillary ran ads attacking him for months on end.

this is how you get money out of politics.

Clinton's ads against Trump were never all that effective because it allowed him to play up his "the system is rigged against me" rhetoric to a group of people who also felt like the system was rigged against them, and the constant deluge of negative ads only reinforced that message.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Jonny 290 posted:

this poo poo is humiliating and awful and i was never proud of or stood behind anything like this

this poo poo i will light on fire the next time i see anybody try.

What is that image from? Is there some other incredibly cringey aspect of the election Ive never heard of before now?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i mean, if you wanna

https://www.wired.com/2016/07/hillary-clinton-really-does-love-hamilton/

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Wyld Thang posted:

That Bernie one is from '06 when he won his senate seat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

http://www.newyorker.com/news/benjamin-wallace-wells/hillary-clintons-powerful-concession

quote:

The ferocity of the attachments between Clinton and her staffers has been part of the story of her campaign; at times it has made them more defensive and probably (in the case of her private e-mail server) helped to trap Clinton into some bad choices. Her concession speech suggested a reason for that intensity: she believed that she and her staff represented a movement, even if her opponents to her left and right never saw her that way.

it's called being delusional. she was high on her own farts

• Locked thread