Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
http://www.psp-tv.com/r/NiteCrew
This poll is closed.
500562 49.92%
139 0.01%
153 0.02%
500888 49.95%
940 0.09%
Total: 1002682 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
The thing that makes me sad about elections in general in the US is always the raw numbers of voters. You look at the number of people in the US who voted for Trump (18% of the population) and you can't help but wonder if democracy as it exists in the US really is broken. Sure a lot of the population of the US is people under the voting age, but when you look at the high school walkouts and just how involved people can be even under the age of 18 I feel like maybe its not fair to inflict Trump on that large demographic.

You start to wonder how many of those non voters were excluded from voting because of a system that disenfranchised them, either through biased policing or just plain not offering any viable alternative. Or teaching them at a young age that they don't even matter.

Doorknob Slobber fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Nov 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.
Woooooo Hate crimes spiking, Attacks on Muslims all over

Hillary should have just gone full Godwin. 'Don't elect Trump; Like Brexit, it will convince Nazis it's okay to start loving poo poo up'

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Ron Paul Atreides posted:

Hillary should have just gone full Godwin. 'Don't elect Trump; Like Brexit, it will convince Nazis it's okay to start loving poo poo up'

If democratic politicians want to redeem themselves now is the time to start making noise. As far as I'm concerned any democrat that holds office right now that doesn't start speaking out against this poo poo now should be voted the gently caress out next time they're up for election.

Trazz
Jun 11, 2008

Ron Paul Atreides posted:

Just imagine a Jewish candidate saying it.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

mannerup posted:

https://twitter.com/ABC7/status/796545156061143040

a few other outlets have run with this headline but its pure clickbait

he removed all press releases from his campaign site after election and they leave that part out in the article

https://www.donaldjtrump.com/press-releases/

muslim ban was revised to countries with terrorism and "extreme vetting"
Press releases were removed because the pages were constructed in a way where people could write their own headlines.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

I get that its fun to say, but Bernie wouldn't have won against Trump lol

"I'm an angry, racist and stupid white, better go out and vote for the communist Jew who sounds like a cartoon walrus,"

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

nopantsjack posted:

"I'm an angry, racist and stupid white, better go out and vote for the communist Jew who sounds like a cartoon walrus,"
8 million people that turned out for obama and sat out for hillary would have sat out on bernie because,

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Doorknob Slobber posted:

The thing that makes me sad about elections in general in the US is always the raw numbers of voters. You look at the number of people in the US who voted for Trump (18% of the population) and you can't help but wonder if democracy as it exists in the US really is broken. Sure a lot of the population of the US is people under the voting age, but when you look at the high school walkouts and just how involved people can be even under the age of 18 I feel like maybe its not fair to inflict Trump on that large demographic.

You start to wonder how many of those non voters were excluded from voting because of a system that disenfranchised them, either through biased policing or just plain not offering any viable alternative. Or teaching them at a young age that they don't even matter.

I'm not saying that the issues don't matter, because that's a prime motivator in getting people to vote, but it does seem like "getting people to physically, literally vote" is in itself an issue.

Doorknob Slobber posted:

If democratic politicians want to redeem themselves now is the time to start making noise. As far as I'm concerned any democrat that holds office right now that doesn't start speaking out against this poo poo now should be voted the gently caress out next time they're up for election.

Speaking as a Filipino, we started getting extra-judicial killings as soon as Duterte was proclaimed President-Elect. I guarantee you're going to have a body count in the double-digits, minimum, by Inauguration Day if people don't take active steps to arrest the normalization of violence.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

nopantsjack posted:

Looking at the numbers of people that voted for Hillary compared to Obama, I can't help but think Bernie would have turned out more of the vote and also draw in a reasonable number of people who ended up voting for third party candidates.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Hindsight is 20/20 but Bernie's appeal probably would have cut into Trump's advantage where Clinton was most vulnerable. When it became apparent that Sanders wasn't going to win the primary I figured "well at least Hillary has a ton of money and field operatives to beat Trump" but as it turns out that was completely illusory.

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

Doorknob Slobber posted:

About 6.1 million people carrying felonies in various states. And we all know how perfectly equitable our enforcement of law is... It's always rubbed me the wrong way that there's places that disenfranchise people for getting hemmed up in the legal system (for whatever reason). Problem is, advocating for those people is a losing proposition. It's like trying to combat 'Just say no to drugs.' You can't even broach the subject without someone getting hysterical about you advocating for 'bad' people, even if they paid their punitive debt to society in this case..

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

exquisite tea posted:

Hindsight is 20/20 but Bernie's appeal probably would have cut into Trump's advantage where Clinton was most vulnerable. When it became apparent that Sanders wasn't going to win the primary I figured "well at least Hillary has a ton of money and field operatives to beat Trump" but as it turns out that was completely illusory.
Yeah seriously holy poo poo. What does it mean for the future of electioneering that that was all pointless?

386-SX 25Mhz VGA
Jan 14, 2003

(C) American Megatrends Inc.,

Samurai Sanders posted:

Yeah seriously holy poo poo. What does it mean for the future of electioneering that that was all pointless?
Nobody knows that it was all pointless. Without the GOTV, organization, ground game, etc., Hillary might have lost by a lot more.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Samurai Sanders posted:

Well for one thing it's probably completely going to change how and where donors invest their money in political campaigns. Obama rewrote the entire book on how to volley Alinsky-style organizing into a national presidential run and eight years later Trump proves you apparently don't need any of those things sometimes.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

exquisite tea posted:

Not completely illusory. She lost by 0.3 in MI, 1.0 in WI and 1.3 in FL. Either MI or WI + FL would have been enough. It was not a monumental loss, it only appears so because of the height the whole thing fell to. From talking about 340+ maps to electing President Trump. If they had been able to see this weakness they might have been able to react to it quicker than putting people into MI on the last few days. Or if the last two weeks hadn't been taken over by EMAILS!!!! again (but there we are back at "terrible candidate with terrible baggage"...).

WI being basically down to the strict voter ID laws, putting 300k voters out of the system is something that should drive everybody up in arms. But only silence, soul-searching, asking how to appeal better to the "Deplorables" (how about not calling them that?) and the usual circular firing squad.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

8 million people that turned out for obama and sat out for hillary would have sat out on bernie because he's not an extremely charismatic historic black candidate

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

I can't help but think "basket of deplorables" was her "47%" moment, and that the comment did a lot more damage than we all thought.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi posted:

I can't help but think "basket of deplorables" was her "47%" moment, and that the comment did a lot more damage than we all thought.

I think in very simple terms that Clinton's support was always softer than Trump's, which in retrospect was proabably responsible for virtually all the volatility we saw in the polls, and that inability for the vote coalesce right up to the very end combined with a systemic polling error overly favorable to Clinton put us in the position we are today. The race was stable, it's just that the mean of stability was way lower than we all thought.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

According to polling (which I guess we shouldn't trust after all of this), 53% of Trump voters were late deciders. That means those things like the FBI nonsense likely had an effect.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

According to polling (which I guess we shouldn't trust after all of this), 53% of Trump voters were late deciders. That means those things like the FBI nonsense likely had an effect.

I really wish that in any of these polls we got to see WHO was undecided demographically, which is way more predictive of how they'll actually vote than anything else. Undecided voters who are more similar to Trump voters break for Trump, lo and behold.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

the most important demographic that turned out for obama and not hillary is middle and working class midwestern whites. they didnt give a poo poo about him being black, in 2008 they wanted Change and in 2012 they didnt want to elect the stereotype of an rear end in a top hat Wall Street Banker. and in 2016 they wanted Change again.

obama won Ohio Iowa by 10% in 2008. Clinton lost Ohio by 10%.

Sheng-Ji Yang fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Nov 10, 2016

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Obama won Ohio by like 3% in 2008 but the fact remains yeah. He didn't get the majority of working class whites, but he didn't get creamed either, and Obama was hugely popular with single mothers.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

It was great from a moralistic standpoint, because I don't think it's arguable that anyone who reveled in being called deplorable was worthy of the title, but from a purely pragmatic "need the votes to win, no matter what" perspective I think it might have been a misstep, knowing what we know now about how close this all was.

Then again, Trump's victory is Kennedy-esque, so when I say "deplorables was a misstep", that's not to say any number of other missteps could have tipped the scales one way or the other to have changed the result either way.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/mattyglesias/status/796697182275567616

https://twitter.com/mattyglesias/status/796697650934456320

loving lol that matt yglesias understands what this election means more than warren or sanders

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

The problem with saying half Trump's supporters were deplorable was that you can't really specify which half was deplorable. If you're saying roughly one in four voters is deplorable, how does a waffling voter know you're not talking about them. It doesn't matter that she specified why. It ignited the undercurrent of the cultural war involved in any presidential election. You have to convince people you're running for all the voters, even the ones who don't support you, and it's clear that it's a terrible idea for Democrats to engage in an us vs them mentality.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

tadashi posted:

The problem with saying half Trump's supporters were deplorable was that you can't really specify which half was deplorable. If you're saying roughly one in four voters is deplorable, how does a waffling voter know you're not talking about them. It doesn't matter that she specified why. It ignited the undercurrent of the cultural war involved in any presidential election. You have to convince people you're running for all the voters, even the ones who don't support you, and it's clear that it's a terrible idea for Democrats to engage in an us vs them mentality.

Trump engaged voters in an us vs. them mentality the entire time and was rewarded with +40% margins in every white rural + working class county in the country. Democrats had a broader coalition to appeal to but you still need an affirming message besides "get a load of this guy."

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

exquisite tea posted:

Obama won Ohio by like 3% in 2008 but the fact remains yeah. He didn't get the majority of working class whites, but he didn't get creamed either, and Obama was hugely popular with single mothers.

sorry my bad I meant Iowa

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

exquisite tea posted:

Trump engaged voters in an us vs. them mentality the entire time and was rewarded with +40% margins in every white rural + working class county in the country. Democrats had a broader coalition to appeal to but you still need an affirming message besides "get a load of this guy."

What I mean is that Democrats can't get away with it. Guns and religion hurt Obama and the deplorables statement seems to have hurt Hillary. Republicans can, for whatever reason.

"Them" can only be rich people or Washington elites if you're a Democrat.

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

People have been saying that Hilary should have focused more on her firewall states but wouldnt a 50 state stategy imply that the messaging would by necessita be more broad and appealing to working class people?

Von Sloneker
Jul 6, 2009

as if all this was something more
than another footnote on a postcard from nowhere,
another chapter in the handbook for exercises in futility
had no idea he was still alive

https://twitter.com/JeffSharlet/status/796694677592403968

good times, good times

e: haha I didn't remember this

quote:

U.S News & World Report: You criticize the Miranda ruling, which gives suspects the right to have a lawyer present before police questioning. Shouldn't people, who may be innocent, have such protection?

Meese: Suspects who are innocent of a crime should. But the thing is, you don't have many suspects who are innocent of a crime. That's contradictory. If a person is innocent of a crime, then he is not a suspect.

Von Sloneker fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Nov 10, 2016

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Maybe not quite as strong an effect, but it didn't help I think. Generally in hindsight her whole campaign in the last few weeks at least really echoes Romney's. Right down to being completely assured of a landslide victory (and I'm sure the reason she didn't concede in the night was because she also had no concession speech, just like Romney. At least he buckled right up then and there). Only unlike Romney, where only his unskewing filter bubble was the same opinion it was the opinion of basically everyone - media, campaign, pundits, data journalist, betting providers, us here - right down to the Trump campaign higher echelon, so it was a bit more of a understandable shock for her.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
I get the feeling that a lot of Trump Voters seldom or have never voted before and like know absolutely nothing about the government except that A President Exists

The stories about phone poll takers having to explain that no this phone poll is not voting, you still need to go vote come to mind

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
A lot of people seldom vote and have no idea how the government works.

That is people.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

ChainsawCharlie posted:

People have been saying that Hilary should have focused more on her firewall states but wouldnt a 50 state stategy imply that the messaging would by necessita be more broad and appealing to working class people?

She didn't visit Wisconsin at all, which in hindsight did not help either option.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

yes that's why rust belt whites voted for him, they cared so much about a black president instead of the promises made to make their economic suffering less lovely

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Third World Reggin posted:

A lot of elected officials have no idea how the government works.

This is also true.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Third World Reggin posted:

A lot of people seldom vote and have no idea how the government works.

That is people.

I guess you're right

But the Rural White bloc that pushed Trump into the White House seems especially misinformed/seldom votin'

I think I'm still just mad

Y'know despite everything I'm somehow more pissed at Hil and the Dems

Perhaps this will pass

Monkey Fracas fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Nov 10, 2016

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Monkey Fracas posted:

I guess you're right

But the Rural White bloc that pushed Trump into the White House seems especially misinformed/seldom votin'

Perhaps this will pass

they ran a lovely campaign with a lovely candidate, its entirely the dems fault stop blaming the people who voted for what they thought was in their self-interest

Nodelphi
Jan 30, 2004

We are all quite capable of believing in anything as long as it's improbable.

Ham Wrangler

Monkey Fracas posted:

I guess you're right

Perhaps this will pass

Most people on this board are also really insulated from the rural areas and the extremely poor. The people I've talked to are so disengaged from the political system and don't have cable or phone service beyond pre-paid emergency cellphones. Those people are completely unreachable by modern polling and they're more common than you think.

Also this election did a number on people, I had three people come in to the ER yesterday who were suicidal due to the election. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

What are the odds that (a) birth control will be made illegal and (b) gays will be forcibly sent to re-education camps?

• Locked thread