Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Your Computer posted:

That reminds me; are there any guides/tips on how to be a better Lúcio now that the game has been out for a while?

He's my second most played hero, but I'm pretty garbage at actually utilizing his abilities. I mainly speedboost out of spawn or to get my team out of ults (Mei's Blizzard, D.Va's self-destruct etc.) and stay on healing the rest of the time, boosting when we're under heavy fire. Also I can't hit anything with his gun but I assume that no one can because ugh, travel time and split shots?

You actually want to be on speed boost approximately half the time since it helps you team dodge attacks and chase down wounded reds. The exception being of course if you are solo healing or if someone is critical.

If you're not already good at it, I highly recommend practice wallriding since it makes you much more unpredictable and thus harder to kill. Remember as a support your goal should always be to die last, or ideally, not die at all. Especially as Lucio, since just existing helps your teammates.

Also you can eventually become good with the fart gun. It's not impossible to hit people strafing as they tend to run away in straight lines. But generally you want to use it two ways: Area denial, where you can fire it at a heavy-traffic area where the enemy is also trying to take potshots at your team. And as an assist generator where you buddy up with another hero (Roadhog or Mei is great for this) and shoot at targets they Freeze/Hook.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Thanks! Mostly I haven't used speed aura to help chase down people and stuff because my team is all over the place and will inevitably go out of my LOS (especially if they're chasing people). Does it take longer to fade out after losing LOS than I think, perhaps? I'm at a pretty low skill rating and only play solo or with a friend, rarely a bigger group than 3 so most matches are pretty disorganized. I swear, whenever I use the 'Group Up' emote people spread out as much as possible.

As for the gun, the cases you mention is where I mostly use it. Spamming a choke point or otherwise using it for area denial, and dealing damage to stationary targets. The boop is also fun to get kills with since it's instant and AoE, if you got enemies at really low health. :v:

Another (unrelated) question: Is smurfing an actual, prevalent thing that happens? I was kinda miffed around launch that I kept getting pitted against people who were way better than me (seen in killcams/etc. how their aim, tracking, etc. was just leagues ahead) and I kinda hoped or assumed that it would get better once the game had been out for a while and the MMR had some better data to work with, but I'm still constantly up against people far above my skill level. Competitive mode has not been fun, just a lot of salty people, harassment and losing matches & rank points.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Your Computer posted:

That reminds me; are there any guides/tips on how to be a better Lúcio now that the game has been out for a while?

He's my second most played hero, but I'm pretty garbage at actually utilizing his abilities. I mainly speedboost out of spawn or to get my team out of ults (Mei's Blizzard, D.Va's self-destruct etc.) and stay on healing the rest of the time, boosting when we're under heavy fire. Also I can't hit anything with his gun but I assume that no one can because ugh, travel time and split shots?

Someone had one in the try hard thread . I play so much Lucio but am not good at this game, however my best character is him. I do think the gun is learnable. Actually all the time I have spent practicing my Genji aim translates well to Lucio, albeit much weaker and slower and with an acceptance that most of your projectiles miss. At this point I can even take Pharas out of the sky if they aren't too good.

I use speed in team fights actually if I am confident in my team's DPS and there is another good healer but rarely happens. I also use it if I am alone and can't run. I try to move a lot. This fucks me royally if there are junkrats randomly spamming, which there always is on my tier. One thing I noticed about pros is they are constantly in motion, though.

I also use speed on payloads or when taking points when they are not contested. It's not like it was pre-nurf where I could move the payload through the second half of Gibraltar alone but it still helps a lot.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Papercut posted:

So you leave every QP game?

I've been playing only QP for like a week and it's hilarious, there's a widow on literally every single team. Hilariously sad and annoying.

I tried QP on the PTR and they have implemented a one character max so someone has slam picked sombra it is not available. I get that for comp but come on, most of us are on PTR to try sombra

Smiles
Oct 23, 2012

yay had my first ana POTG on lijiang tower gardens: I solo killed/shot down a pharah then I grenaded and slept an ulting genji, thank you president trump

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

TheresaJayne posted:

I tried QP on the PTR and they have implemented a one character max so someone has slam picked sombra it is not available. I get that for comp but come on, most of us are on PTR to try sombra

The no limits arcade mode has a lot of people in it on ptr still, that's the go-to place if you really want to test sombra.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Draxion posted:

The no limits arcade mode has a lot of people in it on ptr still, that's the go-to place if you really want to test sombra.

Well.. if you really want to test Sombra against 6 other Sombras with your team of 6 Sombras. :v:

an actual frog
Mar 1, 2007

HEH, HEH, HEH!

Your Computer posted:

Well.. if you really want to test Sombra against 6 other Sombras with your team of 6 Sombras. :v:

I quite enjoy it as different-hero anti sombra practice. A constant barrage of hacks keeps you on your toes at least :v:

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Your Computer posted:

I swear, whenever I use the 'Group Up' emote people spread out as much as possible.

This is why I can't play the game without a goon group anymore. It's ruined me for pick-up groups constantly doing stuff like this.

Network42
Oct 23, 2002

Otherkinsey Scale posted:

This is why I can't play the game without a goon group anymore. It's ruined me for pick-up groups constantly doing stuff like this.

LOL at the very concept of goon groups not doing this.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.
I like 1HL on the PTR because it means I can play a match that isn't 6v6 Sombras without dealing with PTR comp (which has been its own bizarre trainwreck of an experience so far) but I do wish people on the PTR were playing actual Overwatch instead of this weird alternate game mode where neither team has a healer and you spend the entire match just kind of running around deathmatching because nobody's particularly interested in the objective.

Opposing Farce fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Nov 9, 2016

Gloryhold It!
Sep 22, 2008

Fucking
Adorable

Your Computer posted:

I swear, whenever I use the 'Group Up' emote people spread out as much as possible.

Related, when I use my group up button to try to tell someone to not go straight out into danger alone and get "I am with you" instead. That is literally the opposite of what I use that button for Blizzard.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
According to a Blizzard press release:

"We are removing Sombra from the PTR and taking her back to the drawing board. In order to respect the wishes of the majority, we will redesign her to be a little less Mexican and a little more 'white'. We'll set up a poll and let you choose from accurate depictions of white people such as:

Racist Redneck
Sexist Orange Guido
Misguided Old Floridian
Hateful Grandpa
Flyover State Potato

And more!

Please note that we are planning on removing Reaper from the lineup as soon as the wall is built.
Stay with us as these exciting new changes come to represent the country this game is made in."

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

dam dats a hot take

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
Is there anywhere with a greater goon presence that I am missing? The discord channel usually only has one maybe two groups max during prime time.

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014

Thor-Stryker posted:

"We are removing Sombra from the PTR and taking her back to the drawing board. In order to respect the wishes of the majority, we will redesign her to be a little less Mexican and a little more 'white'. We'll set up a poll and let you choose from accurate depictions of white people such as:

Racist Redneck
Sexist Orange Guido
Misguided Old Floridian
Hateful Grandpa
Flyover State Potato

And more!

Please note that we are planning on removing Reaper from the lineup as soon as the wall is built.
Stay with us as these exciting new changes come to represent the country this game is made in."

oh man this is some fucken savage satire does SNL know you're a free agent?

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Disgusting Coward posted:

oh man this is some fucken savage satire does SNL know you're a free agent?

Yeah, but I accidentally killed Chris Farley and they just won't give up their grudge man, it's been almost ten years!

Keg
Sep 22, 2014

Thor-Stryker posted:

Racist Redneck
Sexist Orange Guido
Misguided Old Floridian
Hateful Grandpa
Flyover State Potato

And more!

I don't think that's a real press release!

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Well, i'm now back into plat. String of teams (in loving diamond of all places) and people are still trying to pull torj on attack, or trying to run widow + hanzo + ana comps.

I said to these people "could you try something with more constant damage like soldier? It'd help us break through" and I just get a "gently caress off human being" back.

Thank's ranked!

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

dogstile posted:

Well, i'm now back into plat. String of teams (in loving diamond of all places) and people are still trying to pull torj on attack, or trying to run widow + hanzo + ana comps.

I said to these people "could you try something with more constant damage like soldier? It'd help us break through" and I just get a "gently caress off human being" back.

Thank's ranked!

Honestly, there is no reason to ask people to switch. You're either going to piss them off or they'll switch to something they aren't comfortable with and probably play worse.

There have been numerous times where I've seen a team poop all over a Hanzo or Widow and then they ended up being really, really good and useful in their role :shrug:

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I waited until halfway through a round and they were poo poo tho.

It's not like it could have gotten any worse!

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Doesn't think, just types.
I don't understand how attack Torbs get to platinum rank to begin with.

I've never seen that strategy work.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here
Out of curiosity I checked a few torb profiles and most their play time is in other characters with like an hour in torb. They probably set a decent highest skill ranking, fell pretty far from that, and are now bored so they just ruin team comps for fun.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I had a dude saying "i'm resetting my rank to 2000".

Although I don't know why, comp resets next week doesn't it?

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

dogstile posted:

I had a dude saying "i'm resetting my rank to 2000".

Although I don't know why, comp resets next week doesn't it?

Sounds like he wants to play with less good people. That's a thing.

Both seasons I've climbed high with heroes that don't need aim, and it's a bummer that I can't keep up on other heroes.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Donnerberg posted:

Sounds like he wants to play with less good people. That's a thing.

Both seasons I've climbed high with heroes that don't need aim, and it's a bummer that I can't keep up on other heroes.

Yeah, I play Hog, Mei, Lucio and soldier pretty well, of all of them soldier is my worst.

All of these heroes either need no aim or in soldiers case, literally has an aimbot

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Your Computer posted:

I stay on speed boost all the time, switching to healing only after people have taken damage. Healing is only helpful on hurt people, speed is almost always at least a little bit helpful.

Your Computer posted:

Thanks! Mostly I haven't used speed aura to help chase down people and stuff because my team is all over the place and will inevitably go out of my LOS (especially if they're chasing people). Does it take longer to fade out after losing LOS than I think, perhaps? I'm at a pretty low skill rating and only play solo or with a friend, rarely a bigger group than 3 so most matches are pretty disorganized. I swear, whenever I use the 'Group Up' emote people spread out as much as possible.

Just pick 1-2 people and follow them. If that's consistently happening, though, you should probably either change characters, or make a Faustian pact with a Reaper or Mei and go around speedboosting them at enemies over and over until it stops being absolutely hilarious. If people insist on running off alone, they don't deserve a Lucio, and might not even deserve a healer at all.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

dogstile posted:

I waited until halfway through a round and they were poo poo tho.

It's not like it could have gotten any worse!

It's more likely that they just didn't absolutely dominate which tends to be the equivalent of being terrible. I'll let you in on a little secret I'm ranked where I am doing things like attack Torb so uh get better and you won't see me.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
I wonder if there's ever a rank where people stop thinking "THIS time, for sure, definitely, I'm going to make Bastion work"

and I don't mean like popping a surprise Bastion out of spawn on the last point, I mean like setting up with a direct line of sight for their snipers and geting instantly killed by Ana/ Genji

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Cicadalek posted:

I wonder if there's ever a rank where people stop thinking "THIS time, for sure, definitely, I'm going to make Bastion work"

and I don't mean like popping a surprise Bastion out of spawn on the last point, I mean like setting up with a direct line of sight for their snipers and geting instantly killed by Ana/ Genji

I've been on the receiving end of a complete steamroll by Bastion-focused teams at diamond rank. I'm sure it happens at grandmaster as well.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Papercut posted:

I've been on the receiving end of a complete steamroll by Bastion-focused teams at diamond rank. I'm sure it happens at grandmaster as well.
Yeah - Bastion can work with a coordinated team.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
A sufficiently good player can make a lot of offbeat strategies work.

I'm still fond of the 6 Hanzo stack at King's Row spawn

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Ersatz posted:

Yeah - Bastion can work with a coordinated team.

any character can work with a coordinated team

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Kerrrrrrr posted:

any character can work with a coordinated team
You're correct, and I knew this was coming when I made my post. ;)

Thought it was worth mentioning anyway. Starting out a defensive round with a Bastion/Rein cheese strat, for example, can waste a lot of the attacking team's time, with little downside if the Bastion switches to a more standard DPS pick after first death.

Ersatz fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Nov 10, 2016

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

gimmick accounts exist at all levels, including grandmaster. it just requires you to be incredibly good at your stupid gimmick. people will be more willing to work with your rather than against you as you get closer to the top since they want to win and obviously know how to do that better. expecting other people to make your offensive symmetra work is both unrealistic and kind of selfish tho so don't expect it to happen every game

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

TheKingofSprings posted:

A sufficiently good player can make a lot of offbeat strategies work.

I'm still fond of the 6 Hanzo stack at King's Row spawn

5 zaryas and a lucio is like an unstoppable juggernaut.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
The best strategy, and general Overwatch experience, is six Torbjorn turrets set up on the moving platforms of Volskaya defense point B. The one hero limit being imposed on QP matches is the end of the golden age.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
Bastion focused teams can probably work, but it always seems to be like one of the solo guys on your team deciding "nah this is way better than a second healer" and then immediately empties their clip into a reflecting Genji

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Does Junkrat's tire actually do less damage if airborne? I haven't found any conclusive evidence in my 5 minutes of googling, other than people saying it "totally does".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Your Computer posted:

Does Junkrat's tire actually do less damage if airborne? I haven't found any conclusive evidence in my 5 minutes of googling, other than people saying it "totally does".
Yes, because the way the game calculates how close it is to players is by looking at how close it is to their feet. Not a big enough difference in damage to matter most of the time though.