Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
WHENS FLAIR

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

CBJSprague24 posted:

e- The most annoying thing about To The Limit is Bill France Jr's admission that HHRMPH, well, the drug test results may have been a bit skewed. :fuckoff:

For emphasis, the second link Viking posted is a FOX/FS1-produced, 30-For-30-style short on Dick Trickle which is the ultimate bio on him so far.

Warning: It starts with his suicide call to 911.

Yeah, this. Like I said, it's depressing as hell.

Most people know Dick Trickle through his name (thanks SportsCenter) and this commercial.

What most people don't know is he won something like 1,200 races before he made it to NASCAR, and is likely the best paved short track racer to have ever lived. I wish I could have seen him race in those days, as my local dirt track is home to perhaps the best dirt driver, Brett Hearn, who is approaching 900 wins, including a bit over 300 at my home track alone, which is a record no one, paved or dirt, will ever touch. It would have been nice to see both instead of one.

Dick Trickle was a national treasure.

e- this is totally not a 30 for 30, but here's a documentary they made when I was a little kid focusing on then young upstart Brett Hearn and centered on my local track, if anyone would like to know about him.

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Nov 2, 2016

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

I cannot wait for the eventual 30 for 30 on this World Series.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
Owns.

https://twitter.com/michaelflorek/status/795751882769702912

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

After his alcohol related death

So you won't have to wait long

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

This isnt a 30 for 30 but I havent seen anyone mention it. The Battered Bastards of Baseball is a netflix documentary and its loving amazing, I just watched it over the weekend.

Mandibular Fiasco
Oct 14, 2012

Basticle posted:

This isnt a 30 for 30 but I havent seen anyone mention it. The Battered Bastards of Baseball is a netflix documentary and its loving amazing, I just watched it over the weekend.

It is easily one of the best baseball documentaries out there, and as an avid reader of baseball history, I was surprised I had never heard the story before. The Minors are probably full of those kind of stories.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

What is special about this team?

Also, Netflix used to stream the 30 for 30's a few weeks after they aired. The last one on there is "This Magic Moment."

ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

IIRC they're the team that defeated the Permian Panthers of Friday Night Lights fame in the Texas state title game. They were insanely stacked with talent. I think like 9+ guys got D1 scholarships and several went on to play in the NFL. They were also involved in a variety of scandals related to academic fraud to make players eligible and the team's eligibility for that title game is still controversial. Seems like fertile grounds for a cool documentary.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

ego symphonic posted:

IIRC they're the team that defeated the Permian Panthers of Friday Night Lights fame in the Texas state title game. They were insanely stacked with talent. I think like 9+ guys got D1 scholarships and several went on to play in the NFL. They were also involved in a variety of scandals related to academic fraud to make players eligible and the team's eligibility for that title game is still controversial. Seems like fertile grounds for a cool documentary.

Bunch of guys on the team also got busted doing armed robberies and went to jail right after the season. It was a huge deal in the town. Jessie Armstead was I think the best player on that team.

ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

Niwrad posted:

Bunch of guys on the team also got busted doing armed robberies and went to jail right after the season. It was a huge deal in the town. Jessie Armstead was I think the best player on that team.

Oh my God how could I have forgotten that little detail? lmao

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Didn't Jessie also play for the U? Seems to play for controversial schools a lot if so...

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Didn't Jessie also play for the U? Seems to play for controversial schools a lot if so...

He did

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

ego symphonic posted:

Yea, there could be a lot of interesting stuff that gets dug up with this one.

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

You guys ready to hear a satanic song?
holy gently caress yesyesyesyes

https://twitter.com/30for30/status/796732738707525632

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

that's gonna be cool

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

oh gently caress yes :munch:

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Holy poo poo yes!

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
hell yeah

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

get the gently caress in

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
straight cash homie

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

Oh yes :getin:

I can't wait to see the behind-the-scenes on that shitshow

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Amazing!

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
If a person is not excited for this, they have not seen Vince try to half-assedly explain poor decisions

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
That's gonna be good. But I still need to know When's Flair

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Has there been a good book on the XFL written yet?

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Dear ESPN,

Tell me the exact day this airs, and I will personally make sure that there isn't a single loving thing on my calendar.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
If there's any justice in the world it'll be the day before the Super Bowl.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
Gregg "Opie" Hughes and Anthony Cumia are furiously calling ESPN begging to be included in this.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Kevyn posted:

Gregg "Opie" Hughes and Anthony Cumia are furiously calling ESPN begging to be included in this.

in a twist of fate they are, but the whole thing is a dramatization and they are played by Jim Norton and Sam Roberts

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Wasn't there meant to be a mike and the maddog 30 for 30?

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

he like this

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

the XFL people better have gotten Rashaan Salaam and Jesse Ventura

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

R.D. Mangles posted:

the XFL people better have gotten Rashaan Salaam and Jesse Ventura

My dad still has a Memphis Maniax shirt that he wears regularly

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

algebra testes posted:

Wasn't there meant to be a mike and the maddog 30 for 30?

sadly this is as close as we'll get

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Kevyn posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovJIML2F53I

I would honestly much, much, much rather watch a pre game show hosted by O and A over the HORRIBLE pregame shows at CBS and Fox.

Stunned Comedy Central hasn't tried to do something similar with like Florentine, Norton and others.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Considering how much 30 for 30 content there is now, plus all the other poo poo ESPN does, you'd think they'd integrate a Netflix-type element into WatchESPN.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

sportsgenius86 posted:

Considering how much 30 for 30 content there is now, plus all the other poo poo ESPN does, you'd think they'd integrate a Netflix-type element into WatchESPN.

Yeah, WatchESPN is a cool idea but the implementation is a hunk of poo poo. For a company that usually is out in front of stuff from a technology standpoint, they seem so far behind in this area.

They've got over 100 of the 30 for 30's now. They could easily throw up a bunch of the Outside the Lines and E:60's. Even a week or so worth of their shows like Pardon the Interruption and First Take. I know the On Demand stuff is harder when it comes to sports programming, but they have done a bunch of stuff that stands the test of time.

Worth noting that OJ Made in America is available on Watch ESPN. That's the only one I see though.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

FuzzySkinner posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovJIML2F53I

I would honestly much, much, much rather watch a pre game show hosted by O and A over the HORRIBLE pregame shows at CBS and Fox.

Stunned Comedy Central hasn't tried to do something similar with like Florentine, Norton and others.

Comedy Central had a panel show filled with O&A comics and it failed as spectacularly as you'd figure it would

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

VikingSkull posted:

Comedy Central had a panel show filled with O&A comics and it failed as spectacularly as you'd figure it would

Tough Crowd, I assume?

Eh seems it was limited because the network got worried about "content". Kinda the problem with the TV format is for that reason, doesn't allow the likes of a guy like Norton or what have you to truly breathe.

I'm just suggesting it because the best sports talk I've probably heard was when they had Florentine rip on like Peyton Manning on O and A. Guys like Mohr are also quite good at it, and the only sports talk show I've ever heard worth a drat i n my town kinda acted O and A-like in some regards.

• Locked thread