Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
Does she know bourbon? Old grand dad. Otherwise Jim beam

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Lowness 72 posted:

Does she know bourbon? Old grand dad. Otherwise Jim beam

She doesn't. Which is why i feel obligated to bring good bourbon.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I would think something over proof to that extent would burn too much and put someone off. I say that never having had 114, but as a new drinker WT101 made me cough most of the times I drank it.

Go with something more mellow. Again, I haven't had nearly the experience most people here have, but I think something along the lines of Buffalo Trace might work well. That was my introduction into good bourbon. There are probably other good options that are even smoother without losing the character of bourbon.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

SpookyLizard posted:

Hey goons should i go drink Jim Beam with a girl or should i bring a bottle of Old Grandad 114?

yes

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
114 proof is going to hit a novice pretty hard. I would stick closer to 80-90. Personally not a fan of Jim Beam so I wouldn't choose it. A good general bourbon is Elijah Craig 12, or Evan Williams 1783.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
I heard OGD 114 is being discontinued and the fact that I can't find a single bottle on the shelf makes the rumor feel credible.

(Bring the 114 and serve it with some water/ice.)

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

wormil posted:

114 proof is going to hit a novice pretty hard.
Evan Williams 1783.

There yah go.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

SpookyLizard posted:

She doesn't. Which is why i feel obligated to bring good bourbon.

Maker's Mark does not have as much burn and even a little bit sweet even though it's not wheated.

When I first started bourbons, it was the horrible lasting ends that tore me off picking up bourbons until I got to Maker's. Then a month of that, I started enjoying the lasting taste of the other bourbons even though I just hated them before.

Just don't start with a appletini abomination like Jim Beam then she'll expect all whiskeys to be like that.

edit: I know people hate Maker's but I can see the usefulness of it as a crutch.

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

Zombina says "si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes!"

EVIL Gibson posted:

Maker's Mark does not have as much burn and even a little bit sweet even though it's not wheated.

When I first started bourbons, it was the horrible lasting ends that tore me off picking up bourbons until I got to Maker's. Then a month of that, I started enjoying the lasting taste of the other bourbons even though I just hated them before.

Just don't start with a appletini abomination like Jim Beam then she'll expect all whiskeys to be like that.

edit: I know people hate Maker's but I can see the usefulness of it as a crutch.

Did you mean to say Maker's is wheated?

Maker's isn't terrible, it's just overpriced for what it is. Especially when products like Weller (if you can find it) exist.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Makers isn't a bad bourbon, just not very interesting for people who drink a lot

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
My friends and I tried several bourbons blind and yeah, Maker's is actually noticeably subpar compared to other $20-$30 offerings.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Vox Nihili posted:

My friends and I tried several bourbons blind and yeah, Maker's is actually noticeably subpar compared to other $20-$30 offerings.

I was saying in a nice day that it's bland and boring, and I agree it's over priced, a lot of whiskies are.

I picked up a Canadian rye, Hunters Rye, $10, scored 88 by someone somewhere [edit; some whiskey tasting]. How could I not buy it.

update on the Hunters. It smells like cheap bourbon mixed with cheap vodka but somehow tastes slightly better than that. Given the choice of WT rye and this, I would choose this. I don't know what Ancient Ancient Age sells for these days but I think this would come close to that quality level. Between this and Black Velvet, it would be a toss up. BV is smoother but Hunters has rye so it's a little more interesting. Anyway, enough pontificating on cheap whiskey.

Also bought a Speyburn 10 last week and it's young but I enjoyed it. For a 10 year it had some nice harmony. I wish prices hadn't jumped so much, some stuff I was drinking last year has gone up $20-30/bottle.

wormil fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Oct 25, 2016

Invisible Ted
Aug 24, 2011

hhhehehe
I'm looking to try something different tonight. My girlfriend and I really like basil hayden's, and i can't find anything she likes more than that. She really prefers smooth whiskeys, and doesn't like much spice. I like most things, but i want to get something we can both enjoy. We've tried bakers, bookers, 4 roses, and maker's 46, none of which were quite add smooth as basil to her. Any ideas? I was considering trying buffalo trace, would that fit the bill?

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

Invisible Ted posted:

I'm looking to try something different tonight. My girlfriend and I really like basil hayden's, and i can't find anything she likes more than that. She really prefers smooth whiskeys, and doesn't like much spice. I like most things, but i want to get something we can both enjoy. We've tried bakers, bookers, 4 roses, and maker's 46, none of which were quite add smooth as basil to her. Any ideas? I was considering trying buffalo trace, would that fit the bill?

It's really a shame, because Weller 12 would probably fit the bill perfectly. Four or five years ago, you could find it on every shelf for $25. Now it's really hard to find unless you're in Texas, and it's averaging (holy poo poo I just checked) around $200 on the secondary market.

Buffalo Trace might work, but I think you might want to go a step further and try Blanton's.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!
I miss Weller 12 - I've literally never seen one in the wild (or even behind the counter/in the back), though, given my current LE luck, I think it may even be easier for me to find a WLW this year than a regular ol' Weller 12.

Got my 2016 4R SMB today. I'm thinking about doing a side-by-side with last year's, even though they're supposedly very different

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Invisible Ted posted:

Eagle Rare might fit the bill here.

Tiger Millionaire
Jan 25, 2014

He'll eat your kids and fire your parents!
It's payday weekend and I want to try a good bourbon, what's readily available in the UK as a good entry to American whiskeys?

Slimchandi
May 13, 2005
That finger on your temple is the barrel of my raygun
Bulleit is at quite a lot of supermarkets now. Around £27

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

Oh you want some too? Fuck you!

Elijah Craig gets a good rep for a decent price:
https://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies/elijah-craig-small-batch-bourbon-12-year-old-whiskey/

As does Buffalo Trace:
https://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies/buffalo-trace-bourbon-whiskey/?srh=1

I'm more of a Blanton's kind of person, but you pay more for it:
https://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies/blantons-special-reserve-whiskey/?srh=1

Gold being my fave so far:
https://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies/blantons-gold-edition-whiskey/?srh=1

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

Tiger Millionaire posted:

It's payday weekend and I want to try a good bourbon, what's readily available in the UK as a good entry to American whiskeys?

Can you give us an idea of what's in your neck of the woods? There's a lot of crap out there, even in the U.S., and it'd probably be easier to give recommendations based on a photograph of what's actually at your store imo. ...rather than give generic stuff that'll be in every store, but will be average, to below average.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

https://www.masterofmalt.com has an excellent selection of american whiskeys imo

Tiger Millionaire
Jan 25, 2014

He'll eat your kids and fire your parents!

Slimchandi posted:

Bulleit is at quite a lot of supermarkets now. Around £27

Grabbed this as I was able to get a bottle for cheap.

I'm really enjoying it! Has lots of depth and nice fruity flavours (to my untrained tongue at least!)

Thank you for the recommendation. When it comes to scotch I've much preferred the aged stuff to the NAS with what I have tried so I was a little nervous about trying American style whiskeys as they tend to be a lot younger I think? So I was a little nervous, but this is delicious.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

I'm really enjoying it! Has lots of depth and nice fruity flavours (to my untrained tongue at least!)

Thank you for the recommendation. When it comes to scotch I've much preferred the aged stuff to the NAS with what I have tried so I was a little nervous about trying American style whiskeys as they tend to be a lot younger I think? So I was a little nervous, but this is delicious.

In general American whiskeys don't need quite as much aging because they're aged in freshly charred barrels rather than reused barrels (in the case of Scotch and virtually every other barrel-aged whiskey outside the country).

That said, you can find a few age-stated American whiskeys at reasonable price points. Henry McKenna is 10 years old and Eagle Rare is also 10. Elijah Craig used to be a 12 year product but has recently moved to NAS. You can still find some 12 year Elijah Craig if you check the back label of various bottles.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Bulleit 10 Year is also reasonably priced but I don't know if it's any good

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

Josh Lyman posted:

Bulleit 10 Year is also reasonably priced but I don't know if it's any good

It's good. Pretty similar to the regular Bulleit, but a bit more refined. I haven't had it in forever since despite liking it, I didn't think it was worth the price difference.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

... I was a little nervous about trying American style whiskeys as they tend to be a lot younger I think? So I was a little nervous, but this is delicious.

American whiskey matures faster due to the warm climate so you can't directly compare ages. There is also a point where whiskey peaks and further aging will destroy flavor. I've had 20+ year American whiskey that just has nothing left, they mellow to the point where the flavors all gel and there is nothing distinct. But it gets more complicated because some distilleries use climate control and some don't which means you can't even compare age statements from the same region (e.g. Kentucky). A 10 year from Wild Turkey and from Buffalo Trace will mean two different things. BUT, it gets even more complicated because if the distillery isn't using climate control then individual casks can mature faster or slower depending on their location in the warehouse. So an 8 year and 10 year could be maturing at the same rate simply because one is closer to a door. That's where having a highly experienced Master Distiller is essential. I don't know enough about Scottish distilleries to say if they are the same but in the US, an age statement is only a general guideline.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
I had 2 new-to-me whiskeys last weekend: Blade and Bow - this reminded me, unsurprisingly of Weller. I could drink it all day if someone let me; and Blood Oath (not sure which pact) - really great mouthfeel, some nice brown sugar, and so smooth.

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

Bulleit Rye is also good, and worth trying for something a bit different.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I entered a drawing for a chance to buy a bottle of Pappy. The sign was real low key and out of the way so I wonder how many people entered.

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

Oh you want some too? Fuck you!

wormil posted:

I entered a drawing for a chance to buy a bottle of Pappy. The sign was real low key and out of the way so I wonder how many people entered.

Good luck!

I take it it's the 10 year/reserve, and not the crazy unobtainium?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Jamsta posted:

Good luck!

No idea. The sign said, Pappy, drop a card for a chance to buy. But yeah, probably.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

Jamsta posted:

Good luck!

I've won state allocation drawings for both the 20 and 23 years :smuggo:

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Highland Park 12 going for £25 in Tesco at the moment, which is a steal for my go-to whisky.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Deceptive Thinker posted:

Some Good NAS Expressions:
Aberlour A'bunadh
Laphroaig QC
Ardbeg Uigeadail / Corryvrecken
Bruichladdich Classic Laddie
Most expressions from Compass Box (send them an email and they'll tell you what's in it)

Incredibly late to the party, but I've been really impressed by every Compass Box whisky I've tried.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Spuckuk posted:

Incredibly late to the party, but I've been really impressed by every Compass Box whisky I've tried.

:agreed: they make some seriously good stuff.

Knucklebear
Apr 19, 2005
Needing a drink while watching election results led me to open the bottle of Pikesville Rye that the in laws gave me.

I didn't have any expectations going into it but it ended up being the perfect beverage to get through the night. I found the spice and sweet to be really well balanced and it was almost too easy to drink even at 110 proof (after a couple drops of water).

I highly recommend it, I'll probably pick up another bottle when this one's done.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
A friend is asking for a fact check. Someone swore to him that Four Roses single is made from the same whiskey and same barrels as Pappy. This is 99.99999% bullshit, right?

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

Steve Yun posted:

A friend is asking for a fact check. Someone swore to him that Four Roses single is made from the same whiskey and same barrels as Pappy. This is 99.99999% bullshit, right?

Yes bullshit

Only WL Weller (reserve, antique, 12 year, and the btac version) is the same juice as pappy, however pappy is aged longer and comes from choice barrels

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

ChickenArise posted:

I had 2 new-to-me whiskeys last weekend: Blade and Bow - this reminded me, unsurprisingly of Weller. I could drink it all day if someone let me; and Blood Oath (not sure which pact) - really great mouthfeel, some nice brown sugar, and so smooth.

The thing about blood oath is that it is a loving joke. Don't support those guys.

How they put those bottles together is to buy a lot of small batches no one is willing to sell because its very small and then just DUMP IT ALL INTO A FUNNEL AND TADA URM AH MASTUR DISTILLUR!!!1

10 year with a 6 month? Down the same tube.

23 year with pretty much moonshine, sure sure, pack it up!

You got lucky with that bottle but it's totally a crapshoot. You might have something that is blended nicely or your mouth might become a gang land where all the flavors just have the roughest knife fights before they decide to riot down to your gut.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

I want to thank whoever it was that recommended the Glengoyne tour.

Story time!
I took the tour last week in Glasgow with two of my second-cousins. The original plan was to take the £60 malt master tour (where you can mix and blend your own 12yo single malt). Unfortunately, since we were only up there for about 12 hours, we didn't take any checked baggage so we'd never be able to get past security with a 200mL bottle (also I was leaving the next day, so shipping wasn't an option).

When we got there, my cousins aren't really into whisky (being vodka drinkers and all), they said they'll take the simple tour while I take the longer tour and explore while I mix. Unfortunately, my cousin was supposed to call them and book the tour (it explicitly said to book it online), but he said he called and asked and they said you don't have to. We got there, and surprise! you have to. I guess they felt guilty so they took the £25 gold medal tour with me.

We all really enjoyed it. I had a nice discussion with the tour guide about the differences between Scotch and Canadian whisky while sampling just about every single bottling they had. Even the two self-professed vodka drinkers I had with me had a really good time (and not just because they thought the alcohol paid for the fee alone). I told them that if they even finally come to Canada, I'll take them to see how they make rye.

They also agreed that spending only 12 hours in Scotland wasn't enough. I told them next time, let's make the trip to Islay.