Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Subpar Superhero posted:

ah yes, the working class stakes out the twitter accounts of campaign surrogates looking for rude memes about white men. that explains our loss.
It's an indicator that the campaign did a bad job at appealing to working class people, even among the dems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I don't think celebrities caused people to shift toward Trump and I don't think the singular act of not visiting these places caused it either. When you couple a complete neglect to acknowledge people's existence and/or plight with constant footage of you jacking yourself off about your friendships with Katy Perry, Lady Gaga and Beyonce, that's what causes problems.

She became obsessed with being a really cool icon to all of these educated young women who were going to vote for her anyway and lost complete sight of the fact that there's a whole bunch of guys in rust belt states who, for better or worse, don't care about pussies being grabbed and just want to have a real job so they can live a real life.

The Clinton campaign had no ability whatsoever to reconcile that reality does not equal perception and that perception is the actual driving force behind why people do what they do. She let Trump's sound bites serve as her campaign road map and in doing so, it became perceived that her primary goals were protecting women and minorities. When you focus all of your public efforts on emphasizing what a jackass the other guy is, you're only providing options to the people that guy is being a jackass to and since Trump is a white man who isn't going to bash white men in that way, you end up with a Clinton campaign where white men don't exist.

Bogarts
Mar 1, 2009
I grew up in a small town in the south that used to have a ton of union manufacturing jobs that all disappeared in the 90s. What exactly were the democrats selling those people this year? Yeah trump is lying about how he is going to improve their life any why everything sucks for them but its a newer lie than the one they've been fed for the last 20+ years by everyone else.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Goatman Sacks posted:

So when literally nothing Trump promised happens in four years but his Pence shadow presidency has completely annihilated all labor unions and work protections they once enjoyed, will the rust belt people come back? Because if not they can feel free to be sucked into fast moving machinery halfway through their 18 hour shift.
they didn't exactly eat it up near the end of the Bush era, and things are already hilariously bad

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

that's why all the class-only leftists went for trump!!!!

oh, no, they stayed home or voted for pissass instead

nobody's handwaving it away. if trump didn't go on a racist platform he could have stolen the rust belt dems. loving think.

That's quite possibly the scariest thing about this that I haven't even considered before.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

steinrokkan posted:

That's quite possibly the scariest thing about this that I haven't even considered before.
and that's pretty much the sentiment among bernie supporters, if the DNC didn't spend so much time burying him while reverse-virtue-signaling trump at the same time (which, by the way, promoted his campaign) things would have turned out a biiiiiit differently

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Racism, bigotry, homophobia, and white nationalism are absolutely major problems and the Democratic Party should always stand strong and loud against these things. But maybe, just maybe someone who is racist or homophobic can vote for a Democratic Candidate who is vehemently anti racist and anti homophobic because the destruction of the wage class matters a little more to them than gays or blacks.

"You have an opinion I find gross so I can never talk to you about other things" is a terrible loving way to run your life, much less your political party.

Subpar Superhero
Nov 27, 2013

the hunger games

Grey Fox posted:

It's an indicator that the campaign did a bad job at appealing to working class people, even among the dems.

I'm not disputing this at all, honestly. I do think people are discounting the importance basic narrative that Fiction presented. Trump tapped into white working class anxieties about changing demographics and lack of opportunity. But dummies here want to use this election to keep frothing at the mouth about other dummies on twitter and Tumblr and the academic left.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Goatman Sacks posted:

So when literally nothing Trump promised happens in four years but his Pence shadow presidency has completely annihilated all labor unions and work protections they once enjoyed, will the rust belt people come back? Because if not they can feel free to be sucked into fast moving machinery halfway through their 18 hour shift.

how the gently caress do you not understand? THEY DON'T VOTE AGAINST SOMETHING, THEY VOTE FOR SOMETHING. show them a better way and inspire, dont just say "look at that lovely guy, what a piece of poo poo he is hahaha"

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?

Peel posted:

Calling to appeal to working class whites by abandoning racial politics is a call to appeal to one segment of the democratic coalition by abandoning other parts of that coalition, right after an election where the Democrats were undermined by low turnout caused (so the theory goes) by abandoning key parts of their coalition. It's also impossible. A white supremacist is entering the White House, and Black Lives Matter has been around for years. Neither is going away and racially anxious whites will be getting plenty of stimulus to that anxiety no matter what you do.

The call to suppress anti-Trump protests is particularly strange. That is what energised politics looks like.

(none of this is a defence of daft poo poo like tweeting about the extinction of white men while working for a campaign, but that goes without saying as basic message discipline)

Basic message discipline and also you know hateful nonsense racism haha

But the reality is that I actually agree with what you've said, and my point has never been "abandon the POC vote, focus only on rural/poor whites, gently caress everything" - that's like trying to out-Trump Trump and is stupid

The point is, you can do both - appeal to working-class white people and minority groups - without it becoming some shitfit, but you can't do that without making any goddamn effort toward working-class whites at all

The lesson shouldn't be "minorities hosed us over, abandon them" (nobody is actually arguing this???) or "the majority of white people in America are in fact hateful racists" because that's sort of exactly how this whole Trump presidency happened in the first place

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
It's going to be funny in 8 to 12 years when the north is the pro-racist section of the country and the south isn't.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

HannibalBarca posted:

2018 would have to be a massive, and I mean TRULY MASSIVE, 1932-level wave for the Democrats to meaningfully alter outcomes. There's something like 9 senate seats up for election in Trump-friendly states and two realistic chances to flip Republican seats blue. 2018 is not gonna save the Democratic party unless it undergoes some massive, massive structural shifts in the next year and is blessed with an extraordinarily gifted generation of new leadership.

I mean, Donald loving Trump will be President, his VP is an insane evangelical, and the GOP controls Congress. I seriously can't think of a better motivator for Democrats.

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

how to win rural and working class whites:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kic1wyYI6k

how not to win rural and working class whites:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YttscNOoAjA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nwRiuh1Cug

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

I mean do you think it's possible Obama won OH, PA, MI and WI in 2012 because he was out on the campaign trail every day saying "I saved General Motors and shitloads of your jobs when others wanted to let them fail"?

No it must be because he appealed to their racism and distrust of big government bailouts.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
Apparently it was just misogyny that cost Hillary the election.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/nov/10/misogyny-us-election-voters

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Terror Sweat posted:

how the gently caress do you not understand? THEY DON'T VOTE AGAINST SOMETHING, THEY VOTE FOR SOMETHING. show them a better way and inspire, dont just say "look at that lovely guy, what a piece of poo poo he is hahaha"

Especially when rural poor whites have spent the last decade watching the salary class point at them and say "look at these lovely guys, what pieces of poo poo they are hahaha"

That's why a loving New York Billionaire whose catch phrase is "You're Fired!" got viewed as an equal by rural poor whites. They saw him get hit with the exact same poo poo they've dealt with, and nothing brings people together like mutual struggle.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Goatman Sacks posted:

It's going to be funny in 8 to 12 years when the north is the pro-racist section of the country and the south isn't.

It's "funny" now. I live in Minneapolis and I still see pickup trucks (invariably with Minnesota or Wisconsin plates) with the confederate flag as a vinyl decal over their rear window. Sometimes it's half American-half Confederate with a bald eagle in the center.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

basically lol at looking at this election and those turnout graphs and saying 'well the democrats should just abandon their base to chase marginal voters - what are they going to do, vote for the republicans?'

guts and bolts posted:

Basic message discipline and also you know hateful nonsense racism haha

But the reality is that I actually agree with what you've said, and my point has never been "abandon the POC vote, focus only on rural/poor whites, gently caress everything" - that's like trying to out-Trump Trump and is stupid

The point is, you can do both - appeal to working-class white people and minority groups - without it becoming some shitfit, but you can't do that without making any goddamn effort toward working-class whites at all

The lesson shouldn't be "minorities hosed us over, abandon them" (nobody is actually arguing this???) or "the majority of white people in America are in fact hateful racists" because that's sort of exactly how this whole Trump presidency happened in the first place

That's fair, there's been some people saying things like 'don't talk about race' or 'give those whiny anti-trump protesters cookies so they shut up' who I'm mainly directed at. I'm on edge because I can feel the pull toward abandoning minorities to reflexively focus on white concerns coming out in these post-mortem conversations and it worries me because minorities are going to be taking Trump on the chin.

Liberals, minorities and poor people are the three often-overlapping legs of the left-wing coalition and you can appeal to all of them in a positive way.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Many of the people I follow on Twitter lay 100% of the blame on sexism and bigotry while simultaneously saying an old white man would've had an even lower chance of winning. Literally no blame is on Hillary's piss poor outreach to the working class or their own elitism.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

The grassroots level of the party is basically an Army of Lena Dunham's who have minimal loan debt and whose parents subsidize their gentrified downtown housing. These people believe that social issues are the most important thing in the world because they don't have to literally worry every second of every day about their financial situation and when you try to explain that your reasons for maybe not agreeing are because you emphasize other important issues, you get called a woman-hating racist.

They're letting the base level of their party message be controlled by an Army of people who are still on their parents' cellphone plans.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

quote:

Frank went through every one of hundreds of opinion pieces published in the Washington Post on Sanders and Hillary Clinton, his rival for the Democratic nomination for president, during primary season, from January to May 2016, and found a stark disparity in coverage. Sanders pieces took a negative tone by a ratio of 5 to 1, whereas opinion pieces on Clinton were about evenly split between favorable and unfavorable.

Newspapers can take whatever editorial stance they wish, but Frank sees in the Washington Post the epitome of Beltway bluestocking insider liberalism — pro-Wall Street, globalist, technocratic and white-collar. The vehemence with which these writers denounced Sanders suggested to Frank a primal loathing: “In Bernie Sanders and his ‘political revolution,’ on the other hand, I believe these same people saw something kind of horrifying: a throwback to the low-rent Democratic politics of many decades ago … to the affluent white-collar class, what he represented was atavism, a regression to a time when demagogues in rumpled jackets pandered to vulgar public prejudices against banks and capitalists and foreign factory owners. Ugh.”

Frank cites headlines that ran over opinion pieces that said things like, “NOMINATING SANDERS WOULD BE INSANE” (days before the Iowa caucuses) and “A CAMPAIGN FULL OF FICTION” (the same week). Columnist Charles Lane ridiculed Sanders for suggesting that he was fighting against “the billionaire class” that largely seems comfortable with a Hillary Clinton presidency while other writers castigated Sanders for lacking a serious plan to tackle the deficit (as though Hillary Clinton has one either).

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011

sportsgenius86 posted:

The grassroots level of the party is basically an Army of Lena Dunham's who have minimal loan debt and whose parents subsidize their gentrified downtown housing. These people believe that social issues are the most important thing in the world because they don't have to literally worry every second of every day about their financial situation and when you try to explain that your reasons for maybe not agreeing are because you emphasize other important issues, you get called a woman-hating racist.

They're letting the base level of their party message be controlled by an Army of people who are still on their parents' cellphone plans.

see dumbass posts like this when millennials are struggling more during this economy than any other generation and a ton of them went for bernie is why nothing's going to change in 2018 and very well might not in 2020 or 2024

nopants
May 29, 2004
In 2020 the Democrats should ignore class and focus on identity politics, because that is what their corporate masters want.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Fiction posted:

see dumbass posts like this when millennials are struggling more during this economy than any other generation and a ton of them went for bernie is why nothing's going to change in 2018 and very well might not in 2020 or 2024

It's not a dumbass post and he's 100% correct.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Goatman Sacks posted:

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/are-white-republicans-more-racist-than-white-democrats/

LoL if you think the south is the only racist portion of the country.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8yiYCHMAlM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NT1Zq0Et4ts

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!

Have you heard a little city on the liberal coast called Los Angeles?

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

Don't you have some woman's womb to invade?

Political season is over luigi, gently caress off back to the vatican

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Fiction posted:

I never said millenials weren't struggling. A lot of them are. The ones that are don't happen to be the ones driving the grassroots effort for the party right now because they were pushed out by the people I'm talking about.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Venom Snake posted:

Hello and welcome to the Venom "Punished" Snake autopsy thread were I attempt to lay out what went wrong. I make this post by popular request. I am 100% aware I am going to get brutally owned shortly after making this post

To set the tone: Bernie and the Progressive wing of the party are in a Germany circa 1944 situation were operation Valkyrie was successful except but the Allies have refused any offers of peace. What do we do next? We have to do something or were hosed and our ability to hold them back is being lessened by the hour. It's 1942 and Stalingrad has fallen. The enemy is inside the gates. Stalin has fled the county and Germany has no interest in peace with what remains the USSR. Whats the plan now Marshal Zhukov?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XoQxqi6XkGM

Clinton was defeated because the campaign was operating in another world were the democrats were winners, not losers. Obama won right? If we do what he did we will win right? The campaigns were almost entirely the same people. Except America is not the America of 2008, or 2012. How good the economy was doing did not matter. Obama's approval rating did not matter. All the progress made these past 8 years did not matter. Why did these not matter? Because for lower to middle class white American things didn't get better and to the rest of America Trump was a bad joke that could never ACTUALLY be elected RIGHT? Time and time again I (and others) dismissed incompetence within the Dem party as growing pains. Turns out those growing pains were actually late stage cancer.

The Clinton Campaign put to much trust in polls and far, far to much trust in older data experts/theory crafters who were looking to build an optimized spreadsheet instead of a movement. Ultimately Clinton herself is a smart, good women but she is hamstrung by outdated loyalty to people who hate her. She was scared of being overtly left wing and turned off voters and it crippled her attempt to build a message. They say If your explaining then your losing and 2016 was one giant explanation of EMAILS!. The Campaign tried to disenfranchise Republicans and forgot in the process that they think she is the devil. Just because old failed Neocons flipped to our side means that the GOP was as split as we thought it to be. Meanwhile the democratic party is weaker than it has ever been before and not at all prepared to offer any resistance to the GOP.

Another huge problem was overreaching. Instead of defending strongholds the democratic party over extended itself and got annihilated. If we would have kept the firewall we would have won by a slim margin but we would have won. Instead we chased idiotic dreams of blue Georgia/North Carolina and Arizona. Everyone in the campaign wanted to believe that dem strong holds would remain so no matter what. Resources were not allocated properly. My camp often fought to push resources towards Florida but the National campaign pushed back hard. Nobody actually took the idea that traditionally dem states could be in play seriously for a second. The Obama team brought on to give us another 2012 or 2008 gave the dems a 2000 instead. Right now from the little I still hear they are in a state of disbelief or have just given up. 8 years of hell and Obama will be handing the keys to a man who thinks he's a kenyan muslim traitor.

Disconnection between the National campaign and local campaigns was also a problem looking back on it. Many local offices went underfunded as more and more money was diverted to winning the ad and communication war.

Clinton had supporters. Trump had followers. Clinton was careful about what she said. Trump was willing to say anything to anyone. Clinton had the support the Dems who held a minority in both the senate and congress with less than 30% of governors and state legislators. Trump had the support of majority's in both the house and senate as well as governorship's of several blue states. Clinton said she was going to raise taxes. Trump said he would cut the most taxes of anyone ever bigly.

Diagnoses: Trump and Obama had a movement. We had fear. Fear of Trump was never going to be enough to win. We needed a candidate who energized the base and appealed to what people want not don't. Would Bernie have won? It isn't my right to say. After all I was wrong all along lol

To people who supported Hillary like me: We blew it. We can't give up though because the party needs a new direction and it would be wrong to give up now. Whoever steps up to lead in the aftermath should have our support.
To people who supported Bernie: It's your show now if you want it. Unite people behind your banner. Alienating them like we did will get you the same fate that befell us.
To Dems in general: We either unite now and try and rebuild or were hosed.

Ill answer any and all questions to the best of my ability. Ill write more as it comes to me.

Good post, thanks.

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

No he's not lol. Think beyond your little internet bubble for once in your life pls

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Fiction posted:

The people he's referring to didn't go for Bernie. Most of them voted for Hillary in the primary and complained about Bernie Bros in their spare time.

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

The people he's referring to didn't go for Bernie. Most of them voted for Hillary in the primary and complained about Bernie Bros in their spare time.

I'm saying they aren't a significant portion of the electorate, primary or otherwise.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

sportsgenius86 posted:

This relates to the BookFace image post "If you voted for Trump, tell your LGBT, Muslim, women, etc. friends why they don't matter." When I mentioned that the wording may be a bit harsh, and that someone may have voted for Trump because they prioritized another issue ahead of those groups, their response only imagined that other issue was "gently caress the system". It may have been that reason for many, but... :shrug: This person is a Redditor fwiw

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

mrmcd posted:

Honestly I think people are overplaying the "Academic Left jargon poisoned us against working class voters" a bit. Sure a lot of people roll their eyes or don't like Lena Dunham but at the end of the day:

a) We ran a deeply unpopular candidate.
b) The campaign assumed MI, PA, and WI were automatic locks and either did nothing to turn out those votes or bungled it bigly, narrowly losing to an equally unpopular candidate.

This is primarily a story about political malpractice. No one gives a poo poo if one small section of your supporters are tweeting at each other about intersectionality as long as you're also persuading them to join your side.

Not really, SJW culture plays into the article posted a couple pages ago by that blog poster who predicted a Trump victory back in January. You can claim it's just a very small minority (even though it's pretty common on college campuses these days), but it feeds into the entitled upper class narrative that the article talked about, and thanks to the internet, millions of people can see that behavior, you don't have to be enrolled at Oberlin to witness it. This is why the alt-right became a thing and why they intentionally try to provoke people into silencing them, which gives them martyr points for Trump voters.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Acelerion posted:

Clinton was a poo poo candidate who had no vision for America other than her personal desire to be president.

Low turnout killed her.

The hyper focus on identity was only to take focus off economic/class issues because again, she was a poo poo candidate with no merit in that area.

Somehow everyone convinced themselves that not only is it impossible to do two things at once, but that class and identity are somehow mutually exclusive struggles.

All we have to do is realize that was a dumb idea created to get hillary through the primaries, combine the two, and start fighting for everyone.

The poo poo show the reps are about to vomit up is going to create a great opportunity for progress - it's just a shame it's going to come at a huge price. This is really loving easy.

https://www.hillaryclinton.com/issues/

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Fiction posted:

I'm saying they aren't a significant portion of the electorate, primary or otherwise.

They don't have to be a significant portion of the electorate to be loud and obnoxious enough to dictate the perception many people have of it.

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011
Yeah jimrob and the family trying to scrape by on 24000 a year were really all over those liberal campuses and on twitter and decided to not vote for Hillary because of SJWs

You turd

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

sportsgenius86 posted:

I'm worried that this is correct and it filtered up, in various forms, to the top of the Clinton campaign, which massively failed to make arguments that would have supplanted their ultimately completely worthless GOTV campaign. There's a lot to dissect here.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Mister Fister posted:

Not really, SJW culture plays into the article posted a couple pages ago by that blog poster who predicted a Trump victory back in January. You can claim it's just a very small minority (even though it's pretty common on college campuses these days), but it feeds into the entitled upper class narrative that the article talked about, and thanks to the internet, millions of people can see that behavior, you don't have to be enrolled at Oberlin to witness it. This is why the alt-right became a thing and why they intentionally try to provoke people into silencing them, which gives them martyr points for Trump voters.

Mister Fister, most people don't actually care about PC Gone Wrong. Your candidate won with a minority of the popular vote in an election where less than 30% of the population turned out. Just gently caress off with this poo poo. You're never going to live in an America where you can get away with bald racism anymore among your peers, whether or not Trump got elected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

cool she maybe should have tried talking about these things at some point instead of making every appearance on tv and every debate about her opponent

• Locked thread