Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

steinrokkan posted:

Also yes, I think it is rational for somebody convinced he has to choose between literally feeding a family and paying the rent, or allowing you to keep your insurance, the rational choice for them is to choose their own interest.

Please tell me what Trump is going to do for you or for those people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wyld Thang
Feb 23, 2016

Peel posted:

Calling to appeal to working class whites by abandoning racial politics is a call to appeal to one segment of the democratic coalition by abandoning other parts of that coalition, right after an election where the Democrats were undermined by low turnout caused (so the theory goes) by abandoning key parts of their coalition. It's also impossible. A white supremacist is entering the White House, and Black Lives Matter has been around for years. Neither is going away and racially anxious whites will be getting plenty of stimulus to that anxiety no matter what you do.

The call to suppress anti-Trump protests is particularly strange. That is what energised politics looks like.

(none of this is a defence of daft poo poo like tweeting about the extinction of white men while working for a campaign, but that goes without saying as basic message discipline)

yep dems hosed 20 yrs cuz can't figure out why they lost everything.

please keep calling trump white supremacist and burning down liberal elite cities w/ massive protests tyvm bless

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011

Mirthless posted:

Nobody thinks he will do anything to solve any of that. Please take this contrarian horseshit elsewhere. All the other Hillary posters did, apparently.

Normie Chomsky
Apr 10, 2008

Mirthless, please keep up the message. Don't let these guys get you down. The sooner the Democrats disappear the better.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

Mirthless posted:

I remember the specific quote that got you your red text, Mister Fister, if you didn't vote for Trump you were certainly glad to see him win (sadly, he will not force women to strip and parade them through the streets so you can shame them)

No, you don't know the specific quote, because it was about me wanting Trump to destroy Hillary in the debates, and then me voting for Hillary afterwards. You live in an alternate reality if you think i'm glad he won.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Mirthless posted:

Nothing, and it's Hillary's fault that she made herself look worse than a loving zero, sadlol

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
A lack of engagement with the voters that sat this election out lost clinton the election, not because a bunch of people on the internet are angry enough to call the people who wanted to vote for an existential threat to minorities, at best, uncaring idiots and at worst the bigots they are

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Shadowhand00 posted:

During debates, she should have talked about it rather than just pointing people to her website. I doubt many people even looked at those pages after she mentioned them during actual debate time.

i'd wager decent money her website saw nothing in the way of spikes every time she said that

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Peel posted:

this thread's conception of naive-college-leftist-millennials, their prevalence, homogeneity, social position and share in the blame for your woes is at least as crude as the stereotype this group is thought to hold of poor white people

I don't blame them for any woes, really. It's the party's job to realize that their motivations for voting aren't the same as other subsets of the party and ensure that all of those subsets feel like they're being listened to. I think a bad campaign let that one segment take the reigns and that's why things fell where they fell.

They're not really doing anything that their demographic hasn't done for years. It's just that this time the campaign chose to really get behind them at the expense of other sections of the party.

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!

Mirthless posted:

man I don't know why you're spinning this narrative that Trump is a racist don't you know anything about ((((ECONOMIC ANXIETY))))

Its not about Trump its about gently caress you. Now that does include some drat hateful people, but you need to understand that it isn't all of them and telling people how much they loving suck isn't going to fix it.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
The only thing worse than the people who won't accept Hillary was a lovely candidate are the fucks with buyer's remorse ITT either pretending they didn't vote for Trump (after weeks/months of saying they were going to) or trying to distance themselves from the fact that they voted for a dude who was a huge and open and unabashed racist and white supremacist, openly buoyed and supported by racists and white supremacists.

I don't care what your reasons were; You will never live this down and if other liberals are smart, they will take their lessons from this, learn and act on them, reach out better to the people who voted for Trump, but they will NEVER forgive the people in their immediate personal and social lives for the horrible loving thing they did, because there needs to be consequences, esp. in their peer group, for voting for Trump.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Zythrst posted:

Its not about Trump its about gently caress you. Now that does include some drat hateful people, but you need to understand that it isn't all of them and telling people how much they loving suck isn't going to fix it.

This isn't about fixing it, it's about punishing people who punish me for not being as healthy as them, lol

Nobody should get a free pass for voting for Trump, sorry!

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Mirthless posted:

Well they'll get an empty promise to make their lives better, which is one empty promise more than the dems were giving them.

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

lol mirthless is everything that is wrong with democrats

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

steinrokkan posted:

Nothing, and it's Hillary's fault that she made herself look worse than a loving zero, sadlol

All I can feel is pity and sadness for the people driven to a border-line animalistic state by their own hosed up circumstances and by the utter disregard and contempt piled on them by both parties.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

the whole go to hillaryclinton.com thing is utterly amazing thinking about it for more than 5 seconds now

you're on a goddamn national stage being watched by 80+ million people and you won't list a single policy you're running on and instead tell everyone to go look at your website

WHAT THE gently caress

NumberLast
Jun 7, 2014

Karl Barks posted:

lol mirthless is everything that is wrong with democrats

Surely he will end the mineshaft gap.

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011
Mirthless I don't think anyone here voted trump. Can you go make your own thread to argue with ghosts in please.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Mirthless posted:

The only thing worse than the people who won't accept Hillary was a lovely candidate are the fucks with buyer's remorse ITT either pretending they didn't vote for Trump (after weeks/months of saying they were going to) or trying to distance themselves from the fact that they voted for a dude who was a huge and open and unabashed racist and white supremacist, openly buoyed and supported by racists and white supremacists.

I don't care what your reasons were; You will never live this down and if other liberals are smart, they will take their lessons from this, learn and act on them, reach out better to the people who voted for Trump, but they will NEVER forgive the people in their immediate personal and social lives for the horrible loving thing they did, because there needs to be consequences, esp. in their peer group, for voting for Trump.

Yeah, if you are any indication, the consequence will be the final death of the Democratic Party of America.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

man that trump fellow sure is bad huh? good thing i'm not him

what are you running on again?

go to hillaryclinton.com to find out!!!

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Raskolnikov38 posted:

the whole go to hillaryclinton.com thing is utterly amazing thinking about it for more than 5 seconds now

you're on a goddamn national stage being watched by 80+ million people and you won't list a single policy you're running on and instead tell everyone to go look at your website

WHAT THE gently caress

Check out my website

Go to martinomalley.com

NumberLast
Jun 7, 2014

Mirthless posted:

This isn't about fixing it, it's about punishing people who punish me for not being as healthy as them, lol

Jesus Christ dude you supported Hillary strongly throughout everything. The person that literally got Trump elected.

Remember folks, a vote for Hillary was a vote for Trump.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

Raskolnikov38 posted:

WHAT THE gently caress

Yes. It sounded intensely cringe-worthy on stage, but I assumed that there must have been a reason for it, and that people would actually do that and go look at her policies. and now we have Venom Snake telling us that it was a deliberate choice for Hillary to not actually talk about substantive economic policy on stage, because it might turn off voters, and this whole concept of just pointing to her website and telling voters to make up their minds seems incompetent on a ghastly, horrible level.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

steinrokkan posted:

Yeah, if you are any indication, the consequence will be the final death of the Democratic Party of America.

If you are any indication, we'll be in this same place in 2028 completely flabbergasted that we've followed another amazing two-term democrat president with a total turnover to a Republican incompetent

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Mirthless posted:

So you going to go kill them then?

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

NumberLast posted:

Jesus Christ dude you supported Hillary strongly throughout everything. The person that literally got Trump elected.

Remember folks, a vote for Hillary was a vote for Trump.

I supported Hillary starting in May, after supporting Bernie throughout the primary.

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

trump won because the racist bernie bros voted trump - biting political analysis from forums poster mirthless

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

KILL-GORE

(and counting!)

Mirthless posted:

Search my history and show me where i ever said i was going to vote for Trump. Hell, even search that specific quote in my red title (hint, it doesn't include the part of me saying i'll vote for Hillary). Mirthless, you're wrong like 90% of the time and you're projecting hard, believing that everyone who criticizes certain segments of the left are unabashed racists who probably voted for Trump.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Mirthless posted:

If you are any indication, we'll be in this same place in 2028 completely flabbergasted that we've followed another amazing two-term democrat president with a total turnover to a Republican incompetent

I will try to learn how to hate more people I don't know with Stalin's burning passion, I won't disappoint you.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Karl Barks posted:

trump won because the racist bernie bros voted trump - biting political analysis from forums poster mirthless

I didn't say that?

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

Mirthless posted:

I didn't say that?

wow but you have so much experience putting words in other people's mouths

NumberLast
Jun 7, 2014

Mirthless posted:

I didn't say that?

You're telling a room full of Bernie supporters they voted for Trump.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Mirthless, have you for one second considered how you would help their issues, or are you simply content with sacrificing their priorities ïn favor of yours, while them doing the same is a crime against humanity? They need to be punished for not giving you what you need, but you don't seem at all concerned about giving them what they need.

And honestly lots of people have way more poo poo on their plate than whether they can get their Zoloft.

steinrokkan has issued a correction as of 17:21 on Nov 10, 2016

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Raskolnikov38 posted:

man that trump fellow sure is bad huh? good thing i'm not him

what are you running on again?

go to hillaryclinton.com to find out!!!

HannibalBarca posted:

Yes. It sounded intensely cringe-worthy on stage, but I assumed that there must have been a reason for it, and that people would actually do that and go look at her policies. and now we have Venom Snake telling us that it was a deliberate choice for Hillary to not actually talk about substantive economic policy on stage, because it might turn off voters, and this whole concept of just pointing to her website and telling voters to make up their minds seems incompetent on a ghastly, horrible level.

also imagine being a poor rural white voter who maybe has a decades old computer or maybe no computer at all and only has a landline phone

saying poo poo like "go check out my website!" isn't even speaking the same loving language

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Zythrst posted:

So you going to go kill them then?

I'm serious btw, either you got to change the culture of hate by offering something better, or your eventually going to have to go war. I mean literal bang bang bullets war.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

steinrokkan posted:

Mirthless, have you for one second considered how you would help their issues, or are you simply content with sacrificing their priorities ïn favor of yours, while them doing the same is a crime against humanity? They need to be punished for not giving you what you need, but you don't seem at all concerned about giving them what they need.

I didn't say their issues were invalid or that they didn't need help

I didn't even take umbrage with the take that they voted for Trump for a reason

My objection was to a poster saying that it's an incorrect assertion to say that people who voted for Trump have low opinions of minorities and women; This is not an incorrect assertion, it is a statement of fact. If you voted for someone whose stated position is to round up 14 million people into internment camps, punish abortionesses with prison terms, and roll back our most basic race protections, you do not care about women, black people, or the gays.

It is possible to acknowledge somebody did something for a good reason without downplaying the weight of the terrible thing they did.

Zythrst posted:

I'm serious btw, either you got to change the culture of hate by offering something better, or your eventually going to have to go war. I mean literal bang bang bullets war.

How do you change a culture of hate if it's verboten to call hate what it is when you see it?

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Raskolnikov38 posted:

WHAT THE gently caress

IIRC the context was that during the debates Trump would gish-gallop about her positions and instead of trying to respond (and potentially making his objections seem legitimate to viewers) she would direct people to actually read her platform and decide for themselves if Trump's criticisms were valid. Honestly the televised debate format is terrible so I'm sympathetic to that approach, especially when the opponent is arguing in bad faith. Keep in mind I know nothing about how to appeal to voters or winning debates and I'm probably just another idiot on the internet.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

lol if you thought Clintonism would die immediately

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/10/us/politics/their-leadership-lean-democrats-turn-an-eye-to-rebuilding.html?_r=0

quote:

“We don’t know who will emerge as a leader,” said Matt Bennett, the president of Third Way, a centrist Democratic organization. “Chuck Schumer will probably emerge as a congressional leader. Nationally, it’s going to take some time for a leader to emerge.”

Mr. Bennett said he believed Mrs. Clinton was the best choice for the Democrats this year.

“There wasn’t anyone who was going to push her off the stage after she paid her dues and did her time and got close in ’08,” he said. “She was the secretary of state and had Obama’s backing. She was as much an anointed candidate as a vice president would have been.”

his profile on his think tank bio literally has this as the first line sounds like a winner imo

quote:

As a 23-year-old campaign staffer, Matt Bennett helped stage the infamous “Dukakis in a tank" photo-op that helped sink Michael Dukakis' 1988 presidential campaign. Matt would never again put a candidate in a tank (other than a think tank), but now he's a long-serving veteran of many political wars.

also purge the party imo

quote:

Bill Richardson, the Democratic former governor of New Mexico, said Tuesday’s vote was more than anything a “pro-Trump, anti-establishment punch.” But he said Democrats had their work cut out for them as they tried to rebuild.

“Democrats should develop a more progressive agenda, à la Sanders, particularly on income inequality issues,” he said, adding that the “2020 field should be wide open and Democrats should develop a wider bench of younger candidates.”

But Mr. Richardson, who worked in the Clinton White House — but went on to endorse Mr. Obama against Mrs. Clinton in 2008 — also said that her time in Democratic politics had not ended with her loss. “Hillary should play a major role in reshaping the party,” he said.

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

Mirthless posted:

How do you change a culture of hate if it's verboten to call hate what it is when you see it?

by offering an alternative you giant dumbass

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

KILL-GORE

(and counting!)

Mirthless posted:

My objection was to a poster saying that it's an incorrect assertion to say that people who voted for Trump have low opinions of minorities and women; This is not an incorrect assertion, it is a statement of fact. If you voted for someone whose stated position is to round up 14 million people into internment camps, punish abortionesses with prison terms, and roll back our most basic race protections, you do not care about women, black people, or the gays.

It is possible to acknowledge somebody did something for a good reason without downplaying the weight of the terrible thing they did.

My objection is you blatantly putting words in my mouth that i never said or meant and then implying that i voted for Trump when you have no proof of that. You're basically the roadblock to a healthier Democratic Party. I've only said i would vote for Sanders, and then grudgingly vote for Hillary when it was apparent he wouldn't win the nomination.

• Locked thread