Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xae
Jan 19, 2005

https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...ml?tid=sm_tw_pw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
Well I will miss Nintendokid/Fishmech. One of our greatest posters.

PKJC
May 7, 2009
^ gently caress did fishmech permatoxx? Goddamnit now where will I find that kind of laser focus pedantry

Squashing Machine posted:

Yeah, that's exactly what's happening, not someone equating making fun of overly dramatic reactions to the election and the banning of C-SPAM posters to a hate crime against trans people

Yeah okay, I'm sure you feel that way, but again no one is actually being prevented from joking. I'm personally pretty okay with saying the person calling others "retards" is human trash.

Also pretty cool that you get to be arbiter of what is and is not overly dramatic, how did you land that gig?

PKJC fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Nov 10, 2016

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Zelder posted:

a man, screaming friend of the family at me from a passing car: "friend of the family!"

me, reflecting on the actions that led trump to win the presidency: "i hope you overcome your economic anxiety!"

lol

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!

zegermans posted:

I guess I shouldn't have told them that I was going to relish conservatives dying as a direct consequence of their vote (healthcare/labor protection, etc), but I was mad darnit.

Yeah, probably. De-escalating is probably better. It'll suck, but an apology and saying "that comment was out of line, I was mad and admit it" may go a long way toward making your jobsite tolerable again. Connecting with people, as people, is usually a good thing. Even if they're the worst kind of people.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Crowsbeak posted:

Well I will miss Nintendokid/Fishmech. One of our greatest posters.

What happened?

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Kilroy posted:

For what it's worth the way things were going I think progressives and leftists were going to slowly take over the party anyway. Hillary was the candidate but she wasn't the future of the party and the writing was kind of on the wall with that even before she lost.

Now there's this massive void where the Clintons used to be, and the only people in the party with actual ideas, and especially with actual ideas that anyone gives a poo poo about, are progressives and leftists. So long term, I think it was going to happen anyway. I certainly don't think we're going to look back on Trump's Presidency and think to ourselves that it was worth it to move that up a decade.

I think the good part is that the Sanders campaign and the party platform that resulted from it has given Dems a good head-start in that direction. The next few years are going to be awful but I think the Dems relied too much on having a President that could block GOP legislation like hockey pucks and let downticket efforts atrophy as a result, and realized far too late that Dem voters were only excited about Obama and not the party as a whole. It's gonna be an uphill battle but I'd like to believe that Dems can come out of this a stronger party in the longterm. The GOP is going to pull all sorts of nasty poo poo to suppress the vote but none of that matters if the Dems can just figure out how to drive turnout. For all the talk about how voter suppression won Trump the election, the state margins he won by were small and could have been overcome by even half of Obama's turnout level.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

zegermans posted:

My coworkers are more aggressive today than yesterday - today I've been blamed for some dude's neighbor getting his poo poo broken in to because "they're mad their welfare is going away", and had a few people walk past me chanting build-the-wall.

I guess I shouldn't have told them that I was going to relish conservatives dying as a direct consequence of their vote (healthcare/labor protection, etc), but I was mad darnit.

I hate to break it to you, but you're an rear end to work with. So are they, but good lord, man.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000
If Russia actually did help out Trump or have blackmail material on him or whatever, they might release that in January to send the US government into further disarray. This guy is not just saying these things for the gently caress of it - there is a reason.

pocket pool
Aug 4, 2003

B U T T S

Bleak Gremlin

Butch Cassidy posted:

I hate to break it to you, but you're an rear end to work with. So are they, but good lord, man.

Not taking the high road feels so great, though, for like that five seconds.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

WampaLord posted:

What happened?

They/He/She (I don't know Fishmechs gender) has a gang tag.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

WampaLord posted:

What happened?
Did he permatoxx?

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Zelder posted:

did i miss the rally where hillary clinton bayed for the blood of poor white babies

Racists hear this in the sigh of the wind and the shifting of the autumn leaves. If no one's saying it they'll imagine otherwise. They need a motivation for their discomfort around browns that they can put on someone else.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Butch Cassidy posted:

Its hard to have empathy for a whale that keeps re-beaching itself.

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

I mean boning, the wild mambo, the hunka chunka

PKJC posted:

^ gently caress did fishmech permatoxx? Goddamnit now where will I find that kind of laser focus pedantry

Yeah okay, I'm sure you feel that way, but again no one is actually being prevented from joking. I'm personally pretty okay with saying the person calling others "retards" is human trash.

Also pretty cool that you get to be arbiter of what is and is not overly dramatic, how did you land that gig?

Nice try. Making light of someone isn't the same as telling them they can't do something. Everyone is allowed to Chicken Little it up about the election result, and we're allowed to laugh about that. Also, I never defended using the word "retard" or any other slur, just that it's exactly the kind of lame argument-winning tactic to immediate start screaming about marginalized groups when you feel targeted by jokes in a way that you don't like.

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE
I thought it you permatoxx'd you could downgrade it to a normal ban if you donate to RAINN

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
Lowtax for business reason should probably make it so permatoxxers just have to pay 20-30$ to get back in.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Scent of Worf posted:

I thought it you permatoxx'd you could downgrade it to a normal ban if you donate to RAINN

Lowtax decided to just do the bans anyways.

PKJC
May 7, 2009

Squashing Machine posted:

Nice try. Making light of someone isn't the same as telling them they can't do something. Everyone is allowed to Chicken Little it up about the election result, and we're allowed to laugh about that. Also, I never defended using the word "retard" or any other slur, just that it's exactly the kind of lame argument-winning tactic to immediate start screaming about marginalized groups when you feel targeted by jokes in a way that you don't like.

And you know that the people being made light of have no legitimate reason to worry for their safety or their future because...? And yes, you're allowed to laugh about it, but it still makes you a poo poo person. Maybe one day you'll realize this and try not to be so horrible but I don't think any of us will be holding our breath on that.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Zelder posted:

here you go, weird incredulous guy

from page 63 of the toxx thread

Wow, same condescending crap from Dems

Shocking how you guys lost.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
I think it's gonna be cool af when the world economy collapses due to a combination of Trump shutting down international trade and climate change loving up agriculture forever. It'll be like a big ol' camping trip because nobody in my age group will be able to afford housing :v:

Instead of playing video games, I will have to kill a real bear with a real sword, because it wandered into my shantytown.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

So privacy is even more dead now too, right? GOP was all in favor of NSA programs and encryption backdoors and poo poo. How long until we're openly (as opposed to pretending we're not) spying on Americans and using 4th amendment breaking stuff in courts on the regular?

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

i get where you're coming from squashing machine but maybe you'd also like to make a joke from time to time

My Linux Rig posted:

lmao if you think baloogan is a democrat

you don't know what the gently caress is going on at all

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Zelder posted:

a man, screaming friend of the family at me from a passing car: "friend of the family!"

me, reflecting on the actions that led trump to win the presidency: "i hope you overcome your economic anxiety!"

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

zegermans posted:

My coworkers are more aggressive today than yesterday - today I've been blamed for some dude's neighbor getting his poo poo broken in to because "they're mad their welfare is going away", and had a few people walk past me chanting build-the-wall.

We can blame the people or we can blame the poo poo establishment that got us into this mess. I recommend doing the latter as it's less destructive to relationships.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

HorseRenoir posted:

It's gonna be an uphill battle but I'd like to believe that Dems can come out of this a stronger party in the longterm.
They have a lot of work to do:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWMmBG3Z4DI&t=2082s

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

in my actions i will work to reform the establishment/DNC that got us here

in my personal life i will side eye white people because, c'mon y'all this is a mess y'all are a mess

Bad Decision Dino
Aug 3, 2010

We'll invade Russia.

Zelder posted:

i think we can all agree, regardless of whose "fault" it is, whether or not this was racially motivated, economically voted, etc.

that the rise in hate crimes is a bad thing, and super worrying for the future. as a black man, i'm excited to live in neo North Carolina, haha
I am legitimately sad that this loving election has giving white nationalists and other racists the idea that any portion of their creed is acceptable. I hope you and every other poster on this forum remains safe.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

PKJC posted:

I don't recall seeing posts about how the rust belt voters don't have it bad, but I feel it's important to point something out.

Even if it is 100% solely following the hierarchy of needs that leads you to vote for a fascist bigot out of self-preservation, this makes you complicit in that bigotry at a bare minimum, and thus to some degree a bigot yourself.

It's fair to argue about why various sections of the electorate chose to vote for the bigotry but 100% of them share responsibility for the climate of harassment and violence that follows as a result. Furthermore, I'd argue that "racism and all other forms of bigotry are inherently evil" isn't even a big concept. It's like, one of the most basic ones, rural whites being absolute dogshit at understanding it doesn't somehow make it not basic.

lmao I'm sure the Trump base is feeling very chastened at your scorn right now; now that the sulking Internet hillarymen have dismissed them as bigots they'll surely fall in line for Chelsea in 2020

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Nov 10, 2016

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

NutritiousSnack posted:

Likewise the counties that gave Trump the election VOTED OBAMA in both 2008 and 2012. How did white supremacy let white men vote for a black person twice but not a white person this time?

race is an undeniable component in this election, but let's not muddle things. counties going for trump that went for obama isn't indicitave of a non-racist white electorate, merely that the marginally democrat white voters didnt feel the fear of persecution as a result of the election and were otherwise unmotivated by clinton so stayed home

PKJC
May 7, 2009

Rated PG-34 posted:

We can blame the people or we can blame the poo poo establishment that got us into this mess. I recommend doing the latter as it's less destructive to relationships.

Pragmatism is certainly a valid way to handle professional relations but it's also not an or situation and awful people should not get even the most slight of passes for their awful actions. Report terrible people to HR where reasonable to do so.

pocket pool
Aug 4, 2003

B U T T S

Bleak Gremlin

My Linux Rig posted:

"A guy on an Internet form was sassy with me = Why Democrats lost"

Alright, I guess.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Spaced God posted:

So privacy is even more dead now too, right? GOP was all in favor of NSA programs and encryption backdoors and poo poo. How long until we're openly (as opposed to pretending we're not) spying on Americans and using 4th amendment breaking stuff in courts on the regular?

I'm deffo gonna get waterboarded in 2021 because I called Trump a fascist. Remember when Nixon abused the CIA to spy on his enemies? Now imagine somebody like 50x more petty and pathologically incapable of giving a poo poo if he gets caught.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Bad Decision Dino posted:

I am legitimately sad that this loving election has giving white nationalists and other racists the idea that any portion of their creed is acceptable. I hope you and every other poster on this forum remains safe.

i appreciate that man.

i think things are real bad now, they'll level off for a while, and then they'll get REAL BAD again laterwhen those jobs don't come back (shocking, i know) and trump begins to look around for an "other" to blame things on

so keep ya eyes peeled for 2018!

Zelder fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Nov 10, 2016

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Spoondick posted:

race is an undeniable component in this election, but let's not muddle things. counties going for trump that went for obama isn't indicitave of a non-racist white electorate, merely that the marginally democrat white voters didnt feel the fear of persecution as a result of the election and were otherwise unmotivated by clinton so stayed home

Yeah turnout was a big problem. Getting a candidate together who not only can stand tough against Trump but is also visionary and engaging is going to be tough in 3 years. But we must fight.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Zelder posted:

i think we can all agree, regardless of whose "fault" it is, whether or not this was racially motivated, economically voted, etc.

that the rise in hate crimes is a bad thing, and super worrying for the future. as a black man, i'm excited to live in neo North Carolina, haha

Yeah all minorities should defintley arm themselves now.

Bad Decision Dino posted:

Yeah I think we as a nation are going to only stop this if when we see them trying to intimidate minorities we film them and shame them. Also we should probably arm ourselves.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Zelder posted:

in my actions i will work to reform the establishment/DNC that got us here

in my personal life i will side eye white people because, c'mon y'all this is a mess y'all are a mess

A public position and a personal position, if you will

anyway, finnnneee I guess y'all are right.

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

I mean boning, the wild mambo, the hunka chunka

PKJC posted:

And you know that the people being made light of have no legitimate reason to worry for their safety or their future because...? And yes, you're allowed to laugh about it, but it still makes you a poo poo person. Maybe one day you'll realize this and try not to be so horrible but I don't think any of us will be holding our breath on that.

It's because this is the same hysterical reaction that the right wing has had to the two previous elections, and we made fun of their doomsaying and wailing too. But somehow, this result is so insanely serious that even making light of it in a generalized way is the worst sin ever and a direct attack on identities whose names are being used like some sort of power word. It's the very definition of being able to dish it out, but not being able to take it.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Spaced God posted:

Like, Clipper Chip stuff? Could be, but bearing in mind that sort of thing would actually harm US industry and national security - well we'll see. FBI folks like to agitate for it, but FBI folks are idiots. So is everyone else in government now though so :shrug:

Chaos does, in fact, reign.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

Zore posted:

Lowtax decided to just do the bans anyways.

• Locked thread