Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

natural scrolling is correct on a touchscreen and acceptable on a touchpad, but it's totally and blatantly backwards on a mouse scrollwheel. why apple defaults their mice to "scroll wheel down = move up on the page" i will never loving understand

nah, in a window you're still pushing the content the same way if you're using a wheel or a touchpad. it's the same thing.

the only exceptions i can see are games that have menus with scroll wheels in mind where you're moving a cursor/selector up and down or something with the wheel. that fucks me up sometimes.

but web browsing or just scrolling through a list makes sense with natural scrolling on either kind of device.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Last Chance posted:

nah, in a window you're still pushing the content the same way if you're using a wheel or a touchpad. it's the same thing.

the only exceptions i can see are games that have menus with scroll wheels in mind where you're moving a cursor/selector up and down or something with the wheel. that fucks me up sometimes.

but web browsing or just scrolling through a list makes sense with natural scrolling on either kind of device.

wrong

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

Shaggar posted:

idk I haven't seen lenovos irl for years cause most of them are garbage now. get an xps 13 or 15

Yeah, was looking at the XPS 15 9550 or whatever that model number is. Not a bad machine for the price.

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

Last Chance posted:

nah the wheel maps more naturally to the scrollbar, touch devices map to the content.

imo as not-a-designer, anyway.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

idk whatever you say. natural scrolling works for me with both kinds of mice. never went back to legacy scrolling, even when booted into windows.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

trilljester posted:

Yeah, was looking at the XPS 15 9550 or whatever that model number is. Not a bad machine for the price.

its the best current laptop.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IghcowGhRBc

2015 Macbook version for funzies:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHZ8ek-6ccc

More relevant dongle-edition 2015 macbook vid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTe-JvmfU6Q

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Nov 8, 2016

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Shaggar posted:

its the best current laptop.

im gonna get a surface book

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
lol ios 10.1.1

i suddenly couldn't send imessages about three hours after the update, after rebooting my phone it activation locked.

gg apple

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Sagebrush posted:

natural scrolling is correct on a touchscreen and acceptable on a touchpad, but it's totally and blatantly backwards on a mouse scrollwheel. why apple defaults their mice to "scroll wheel down = move up on the page" i will never loving understand

i found out from my dad today that microsoft office on os x ignores natural scrolling even if it's on systemwide

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

i cant tell if the latest ios has some sort of problems with connecting to a non-broacasting-ssid wifi network or if i somehow hosed up my router because like half the time my phone just sits there on cell service until i go and manually add the SSID / password again

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
LOL if you turn off your SSID broadcast.

edit: my SSID is "Totally Not FBI"

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Doc Block posted:

LOL if you turn off your SSID broadcast.

edit: my SSID is "Totally Not FBI"

careful if you're in France

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

infernal machines posted:

lol ios 10.1.1

i suddenly couldn't send imessages about three hours after the update, after rebooting my phone it activation locked.

gg apple

ur holding it wrong

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

lol isnt this always the case with europe? mutter the word "terror" under your breath, thats jailtime. sketch a backwards swastika in the dirt in germany, that's jailtime.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

infernal machines posted:

lol ios 10.1.1

gg apple

who the hell still uses ios?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
me, ever since microsoft abandoned the lumia 800

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
lumia 950s are cheap

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

too big. the iphone 5s/se is the ideal phone size, unfortunately microsoft only makes poorphones at that size

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
ive gotten used to it and I don't think I could go back. I still have my 4s lying around somewhere and its amazing that it was usable at some point. altho it also had ios 5/6 back then so that probably had more to do w/ it than the size.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Last Chance posted:

sketch a backwards swastika in the dirt in germany, that's jailtime.

good news, they're easing up on this one

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

computer parts posted:

good news, they're easing up on this one

presumably after having jailed every hindu and buddhist in germany

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Nov 8, 2016

bone app the teeth
May 14, 2008

lol at the thought of even using android or windows ce or whatever it is

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

https://twitter.com/cdzombak/status/795800189239984129

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
1000 small text files in icloud, 1000 small text files
just leave them there and do nothing
999 small text files in icloud

wide stance
Jan 28, 2011

If there's more than one way to do a job, and one of those ways will result in disaster, then he will do it that way.
thats the just half-life of a txt file at work

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice
whenever someone quotes stymie, tim deletes a random file from icloud

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
come on goons it's obviously bit rot

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
I'm going to side with the creationist on this one

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
any analyst estimates out there for how the iphone prices are gonna change now that trump is gonna grab apple by the pussy and make them move manufacturing to detroit

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
I got my 7 today and its loving awesome. the ghost of stebe definitely left his mark on this one.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

yeah the taptic engine is powered by him spinning in his grave

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

poty posted:

any analyst estimates out there for how the iphone prices are gonna change now that trump is gonna grab apple by the pussy and make them move manufacturing to detroit

It's going to be a lot cheaper now that the US dollar will to start to follow the Zimbabwe dollar

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Maximum Leader posted:

I got my 7 today and its loving awesome. the ghost of stebe definitely left his mark on this one.

still clinging to my 6s+ with actual headphone jack. gently caress the iPhone 7 right in its stupid dongle having rear end.

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
i'm cool with usb-c charging if it means just one real power adapter and a generic external battery for extra juice when needed

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

usb-c and the touch strip are great, the prices on those machines are not

usb-c in general is a bit of a mess, but the mbp take seems fine

shaggar is right, there if little rational argument to not go xps13/15 instead

bone app the teeth
May 14, 2008

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

there if little rational argument to not go xps13/15 instead

are those running macOS Sierra™ now or something?

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
the killer feature of a mac laptop is the non garbage touch pad and os that makes using the touchpad easy

are pc touchpads usable now or something?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
mac touch pads are awful cause osx mousing is the worst. it feels like you're dragging your finger thru molasses

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Shaggar posted:

mac touch pads are awful cause osx mousing is the worst. it feels like you're dragging your finger thru molasses

do you not like molasses or something??

• Locked thread