Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

I'm not surprised they sell more AoS stuff at the moment since they've had a couple of big new releases and it's still a newish game.

Most of the 40k models have been there for ages. It's time to refresh 80% of the line, imho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Interesting that Sigmarines are getting a megaforce box

bij
Feb 24, 2007

Endman posted:

I'm not surprised they sell more AoS stuff at the moment since they've had a couple of big new releases and it's still a newish game.

Most of the 40k models have been there for ages. It's time to refresh 80% of the line, imho.

AoS / Fantasy gets a lot of REALLY flashy models with a ton of stuff going on like the VC ghost chariot throne thing, Nagash, and the Nurgle maggots. I don't think all of 40k needs that aesthetic but if they redo Chaos that is where it should go.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

quote:

It seems also that GW sells currently more AoS products than 40K ones on a worldwide basis.
There is no way in hell I believe this.

Bombogenesis
Mar 27, 2010

Mekkatorque 2016
Dinosaur Gum

Safety Factor posted:

There is no way in hell I believe this.

My local GW store constantly has people playing AoS. I've been there on weekends where all five tables are full of nerds throwing sigmarines at eachother. It hurts my soul because still nobody plays ogres :smith: Hopefully they have some kind of 40k campaign coming up because the game desperately needs a shot in the arm until 8th edition drops.

e; Also, apparently my Kasrkin arrived today and I missed the phonecall. Excited to have toy spacemen to work on now that I'm done moving.

Bombogenesis fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Nov 10, 2016

JesusIsTehCool
Aug 26, 2002
Finished my first desert building, learned a lot from doing this one and already started a second one that I think will look better/neater.

Going to put some boxes and stuff in the area under the wood balcony, just have to cast them tomorrow.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Just search for "Nard's Nids" and you'll usually get em:
http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/621803.page
http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/471340.page

AoS is a lot easier to get into. If you're new to wargaming or returning after a long time, you can just get a box of models and download the rules for free. You don't need to worry about your codex, supplements, formations (there are similar things but they're not as crazy from what I've seen), or whatever. 40k's become this top heavy monster with way too many rules and ideas bolted onto a 20 year old ruleset, so I for one welcome a fresh set of rules.

I played my first game of AoS on Sunday and I had a blast, I'll be making a video about it on my Camhammer channel.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

the cutest lil' drop pod!

I need to learn how to paint epic scale stuff, i manage to get it way too dark! it looks great in that picture but IRL it's nearly black.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
the owner at my lgs asked if I was going to start playing AoS and I laughed at his joke until I realized he was serious, it's apparently being played 50/50 with 40k if not more.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
In our store, 40k still sells more, but we get nearly triple the number of AoS players coming down regularly.
In addition, the AoS players seem a lot more... enthusiastic? We've got a couple of people doing Path to Glory campaigns, and a few of the younger players managed to pull off a ladder campaign amongst themselves with a little bit of help after the General's Handbook came out.
Whereas when the 40k people come down, they seem mostly content just to do kill points using the exact same armies in the exact same list they've been using since they started coming down. They buy more, but you'll never see those models materialise.

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

All we have to lose is our chains
I want AoS to turn into a good (enough) game because the Undead are rad and I want to buy Nagash and a mortis engine and lots of cool skellies and some spooky ghosts

Maybe by second or third edition?

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

SteelMentor posted:

In our store, 40k still sells more, but we get nearly triple the number of AoS players coming down regularly.
In addition, the AoS players seem a lot more... enthusiastic? We've got a couple of people doing Path to Glory campaigns, and a few of the younger players managed to pull off a ladder campaign amongst themselves with a little bit of help after the General's Handbook came out.
Whereas when the 40k people come down, they seem mostly content just to do kill points using the exact same armies in the exact same list they've been using since they started coming down. They buy more, but you'll never see those models materialise.

AoS is a lot more fluid than 40k with a lot less bullshit at the cost of losing a lot of depth - so I can see why it attracts more enthusiastic and younger players.

It's also why I think bringing back Kill Team with a new box that contains all the rules and discounted minis was a genius move from GW. It's way easier to collect, build/paint, set up and play Kill Team than it is to play the regular game.

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.
This is pro click. When people talk about Cel-shaded and bright colored nids this is what you need to see...

Thumbnails below to lure the lazy:

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Endman posted:

AoS is a lot more fluid than 40k with a lot less bullshit at the cost of losing a lot of depth - so I can see why it attracts more enthusiastic and younger players.

It's also why I think bringing back Kill Team with a new box that contains all the rules and discounted minis was a genius move from GW. It's way easier to collect, build/paint, set up and play Kill Team than it is to play the regular game.

Definitely agree, though our demographics seem to be an outlier. Most of our AoS players are older peeps who burned out on Fantasy and came back for AoS, while the younger players gravitate towards 40k.

We've really been pushing Kill Team as an alt option for breaking into the hobby, like with Storm of Sigmar for AoS. Of course we try for the big starters, but people are much more receptive to the cheaper Kill Team box, and pick up the big starters later.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
AoS outselling 40k goes against everything I'm hearing from GW people. Outselling Fantasy by an enormous margin, absolutely. 40k? Not a hope.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I can see it with all the 8th edition rumors, people not having a lot of confidence that the transition will be handled smoothly. Along side, if you're not really into GSC or Deathwatch, what has come out in the last six months? Scenario books? The occasional HQ/Special character resculpt? The General's Handbook was a huge boost to AoS at my LGS, they went from 1-2 people that would come in once a month to 12 players in a weekly Path of Glory campaign.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I can see it with all the 8th edition rumors, people not having a lot of confidence that the transition will be handled smoothly. Along side, if you're not really into GSC or Deathwatch, what has come out in the last six months? Scenario books? The occasional HQ/Special character resculpt? The General's Handbook was a huge boost to AoS at my LGS, they went from 1-2 people that would come in once a month to 12 players in a weekly Path of Glory campaign.

Who would have thought that more diverse missions and points values would make for a better, more enticing game? :v:

SteelMentor posted:

Definitely agree, though our demographics seem to be an outlier. Most of our AoS players are older peeps who burned out on Fantasy and came back for AoS, while the younger players gravitate towards 40k.
The folks I played with on Sunday were all people who burned out on Fantasy or 40k and wanted something cleaner and simpler to play. The fact that we played a 3v2 game and not once had to cross reference multiple rulebooks was really nice. I think GW has used Sigmar as a testbed for a lot of ideas that will make 8th edition 40k a really good one.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
It's neat that you can get all the rules for Age of Sigmar for 25 dollars. But If I want to play Space Marines, it's 173 dollars for rule book and codex and supplement.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Guy Goodbody posted:

It's neat that you can get all the rules for Age of Sigmar for 25 dollars. But If I want to play Space Marines, it's 173 dollars for rule book and codex and supplement.
There are some cheaper barriers to entry, but yeah, if you want to play the game it's gonna be $50 for a codex and $20+ for the softback rulebook on eBay.

I just uploaded my review of Lost Patrol. It's a pretty cool board game!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnBh1M2VXB4

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
I played a buddy who was using a demon army and used 5 rulebooks, not including the core rules. It's getting nuts.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Hell, it goes past just the rulebooks. There's so many one-off dataslates from stuff like weekly white dwarfs and whatnot.

Then god-forbid you want to get some Forgeworld stuff. The stuff is spread through just as many books and it's not intuitive as to what book you need for what models.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
Yeah, the way the rules are published and the absurd prices of the individual books is so fundamentally hosed up that if I had any discipline or impulse control I'd boycott the company because of it.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Much prefer the way AoS does it. You've got the Battletomes, but beyond some optional extra rules and Sceneros related to the fluff bits in the book you can get all the rules for free in the unit's box/online.

If we do get a AoS 2nd Ed, then hopefully the General's Handbook will get rolled into the rest of the rules, or at the very least the points will.

I wonder what ideas will get rolled into 40k 8th. I do like the damage tables for Monsters and big models, and the ability to choose spells/warlord traits.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Formations costing points

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Master Twig posted:

I played a buddy who was using a demon army and used 5 rulebooks, not including the core rules. It's getting nuts.

Which books? Shouldn't it just be Codex: Daemons + Curse of the Wulfen?

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Well then, looks like GW is bringing back their forums.

https://m.facebook.com/1575682476085719/photos/a.1576243776029589.1073741828.1575682476085719/1718794975107801/?type=3

Explains that Social Media job, wish I'd gotten it even more now.

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

"Whenever there's injustice, wrongs to be righted, innocents to be defended, The Sisko will be there, delivering ass-whooppings."
X-post from painting thread

The Sisko posted:

Just thought I'd post some WIPs of some Custodes I have been working on this week. It's been nice to actually paint again after being sick for two weeks and being up to my eyeballs in school work.

Ps. Lightning effects are rad ! :science:

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

The Sisko posted:

X-post from painting thread

These look awesome

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

SRM posted:

There are some cheaper barriers to entry, but yeah, if you want to play the game it's gonna be $50 for a codex and $20+ for the softback rulebook on eBay.

Issues with AoS aside, I do like the idea that every army book has the four pages of "rules" at the back of the book.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

SRM posted:

Good video, bad game.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Miles O'Brian posted:

I want AoS to turn into a good (enough) game because the Undead are rad and I want to buy Nagash and a mortis engine and lots of cool skellies and some spooky ghosts

Maybe by second or third edition?

Yeah the undead sculpts are mega rad and the only thing making me even think about AoS

sigmarines are :barf:

Guy Goodbody posted:

It is *insane* that GW doesn't sell the mini rulebook standalone, or include it in the get started bundles. Absolutely insane.

Its fine to have the big fancy 3-book hardcover set, and some people will definitely buy that. But if you want any hope of new players, you need to sell a cheap mini rulebook. Making everybody buy Dark Vengeance or split parts on ebay is just ludicrous.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Frobbe posted:

the cutest lil' drop pod!

I need to learn how to paint epic scale stuff, i manage to get it way too dark! it looks great in that picture but IRL it's nearly black.

It looks black to you because the black primer is still coming through. Try another layer of blue and see.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

SteelMentor posted:

Well then, looks like GW is bringing back their forums.

https://m.facebook.com/1575682476085719/photos/a.1576243776029589.1073741828.1575682476085719/1718794975107801/?type=3

Explains that Social Media job, wish I'd gotten it even more now.

No you don't.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

One of the exercises was coming up with a terrible, pun-ridden advert for a hypothetical product.

Another was going through a list of terrible, terrible Facebook comments and deciding who to ban and who the permaban.

It was the job I was born for.

Bombogenesis
Mar 27, 2010

Mekkatorque 2016
Dinosaur Gum
What's the go-to for prepping up white metal figures for painting? Warm water and soap seems to be the most widely recommended, but some people have mentioned vinegar? Excited to gently caress up painting these kasrkin.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Bombogenesis posted:

What's the go-to for prepping up white metal figures for painting? Warm water and soap seems to be the most widely recommended, but some people have mentioned vinegar? Excited to gently caress up painting these kasrkin.

Water is more than enough.

I've painted 80+ White metal steel legion this year, and they came straight out of the blister and got undercoated. You don't really need to do squat.

Bombogenesis
Mar 27, 2010

Mekkatorque 2016
Dinosaur Gum

Yeast posted:

Water is more than enough.

I've painted 80+ White metal steel legion this year, and they came straight out of the blister and got undercoated. You don't really need to do squat.

Awesome, thanks for the reply! Just a quick soak/rinse then? I've got 44 of these guys to do so less effort is good.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Bombogenesis posted:

Awesome, thanks for the reply! Just a quick soak/rinse then? I've got 44 of these guys to do so less effort is good.

I don't usually soak/rinse them, but when I do it's just dish soap and warm water just to make sure any mold release is off them. Using a good primer is more important.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
yeah I've never washed white metal minis before priming and I haven't had any issues

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

Star Man posted:

It looks black to you because the black primer is still coming through. Try another layer of blue and see.

Not really, but I did give it a wash which does darken it right the gently caress down

• Locked thread