Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
http://www.psp-tv.com/r/NiteCrew
This poll is closed.
500562 49.92%
139 0.01%
153 0.02%
500888 49.95%
940 0.09%
Total: 1002682 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
The old sci-fi stories were right. We weren't ready for technology.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

https://twitter.com/JustinGlawe/status/796754403336273920

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
So is Obama also going to meet with actual-president Mike Pence?

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Niton posted:

Like ok

after i stopped freaking out, i had a legit moment of clarity:

Freaking out about Trump before anything happens is not going to help anyone achieve their goals. The best way we have to minimize the damage (or, god help us all, actually see a net positive) is to work our way into a position where Trump feels the way he can do the most good is by working with the Democrats.

I don't really feel it's especially likely, but it's in the realm of consideration once republicans start throwing hissy-fits about spending money on poor people & not getting all the repeals they want

No wonder the alt-right calls the Democrats Cucks. YOU ARE THE loving OPPOSITION. YOU DON'T NEED TO WORK WITH TRUMP OR THE REPUBLICANS. You need to work on getting the best position to beat them in 2/4/6/8 years. You need to get the best out of a bad, thankless situation. The Republicans understood that after 2012.You can talk about working with anyone when you actually control anything.

Corny
Feb 18, 2006

i am scared

Decius posted:

No wonder the alt-right calls the Democrats Cucks. YOU ARE THE loving OPPOSITION. YOU DON'T NEED TO WORK WITH TRUMP OR THE REPUBLICANS. You need to work on getting the best position to beat them in 2/4/6/8 years. You need to get the best out of a bad, thankless situation. The Republicans understood that after 2012.You can talk about working withanyone when you actually control anything.

it is not the time for bipartisanship, i don't know how the gently caress people didn't realize that back in 2009 when Obama was getting stonewalled by every republican at every turn, and it's especially important for us to realize this now, because republicans are going to be able to implement some VERY bad legislation soon

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Homework Explainer posted:

this is loving embarrassing

drumpf

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Decius posted:

No wonder the alt-right calls the Democrats Cucks. YOU ARE THE loving OPPOSITION. YOU DON'T NEED TO WORK WITH TRUMP OR THE REPUBLICANS. You need to work on getting the best position to beat them in 2/4/6/8 years. You need to get the best out of a bad, thankless situation. The Republicans understood that after 2012.You can talk about working with anyone when you actually control anything.

polysynth
Dec 12, 2006

rock out

Decius posted:

*8 years of republican obstructionism, not giving a gently caress measures such as leveraging the debt ceiling, promises to destroy all of Obama's signature accomplishments*

alright guys let's see if we can work with these fellas

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

This is so stupid.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Decius posted:

American politics bad

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

polysynth posted:

*8 years of republican obstructionism, not giving a gently caress measures such as leveraging the debt ceiling, promises to destroy all of Obama's signature accomplishments*

I'm sure they're down to compromise on important issues like restricting the DoJ from investigating civil rights abuses by police departments and repealing the ACA and Clean Water Act.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
burger king and netflix.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

Pick posted:

The old sci-fi stories were right. We weren't ready for technology.

The nuclear age had the cuban missle crisis and Chernobyl

the internet age has trump

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

C-Euro posted:

This is part of the problem, not the solution.

Yeah it's pretty bad. What did they think this would do?

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Serf posted:

He's going to make other people run things while he basks in pure, unadulterated ego

I think this is what he believes, what he will quickly find out is that it doesn't work that way and he will be blamed for anything and everything bad just like Obama was. It's not going to be fun for him.

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

Decius posted:

seriously. we need to be doing everything we can to make Trump gently caress up so that 2020 can be a wave election and maybe we can get rid of gerrymandering

all this doom and gloom going on

BUT THE DEMOGRAPHICS ARE STILL GOING IN THE DEMS FAVOR

if we have any kind of coherent economic message we can win elections

gently caress man

Fox Ironic
Jul 19, 2012

by exmarx

Niton posted:

Exactly! The dude is having the weight of the actual, factual world being placed upon his shoulders, and he's being told things by people he knows are the real deal that go directly against the narrative being fed to him. poo poo's going to get weird, and we're at the point where i am no longer convinced that weird is bad.

Yeah, we may be looking at a very interesting timeline where Trump realizes that he has to team up with Democrats to get any of the promises he made fulfilled and that the GOP is probably looking for any opportunity to murder him in his sleep to pave the way for President Mike Pence. Trump may be a shithead, but I'm guessing that he's starting to feel that cognitive dissonance whispering in his ear that he really shouldn't have nominated an Establishment Republican as his VP pick.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Three Olives posted:

I think this is what he believes, what he will quickly find out is that it doesn't work that way and he will be blamed for anything and everything bad just like Obama was. It's not going to be fun for him.

And then he'll turn around and blame it on Obama

Obama will be the eternal scapegoat

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
ive got some great skits lined up, and ive got a whole slew of die ins planned

goona hold trumps feet to the fire

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
What does "work with" mean, though?

My interpretation of it was "We will reject every heinous thing they suggest but we won't be assholes and refuse to even listen to what their ideas are" which seems like... the only option?

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

lol at facebook setting up a crisis hub system because they know the government's ability to coordinate people during a disaster just got completely hosed

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

comingafteryouall posted:

you can make Trump feel like he has to work with the Democrats by getting all worked up over his election, maybe he'll realize that a LOT of the country does not him or the policies he ran on

working up is good, everyone should be fired up about what needs to be done in the weeks, months and years to come to take decisive control back.

that said, meaningless posturing of TRUMP IS A RACIST gently caress / ALL REPUBLICANS ARE TERRIBLE PEOPLE / LOL BREXIT AMIRITE are just going to dig the hole deeper - this election was razor-thin and the best tool we have is to use the Republican's shittiness against them, rather than indulging in it.

Decius posted:

The best of a bad situation remains "not screaming incoherently from the rooftops about the evils of the ruling party". It was lovely when the republicans did it, and as bad as things are now, that is not a recipe for making things better.

I'm not saying to actually work with the republicans as stated, either - i'm saying that in the case poo poo gets weird and Trump turns out to be significantly to the left of the Republicans, we should be making moves to take advantage of the fact.

i mean, a week ago i didn't believe Trump had a snowball's chance in hell of being elected, and look how that turned out.

Trump actually having the socially-liberal policies of his 90s persona is downright plausible compared to that

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

I think what really captures this election for me is all the hillary boosters talking about moving to europe/canada, regardless of whether or not it's unpatriotic or being sore losers the people who didn't vote for Hillary aren't people who can afford or have the opportunity to just emigrate to another 1st world country, and I imagine they're watching the parade of chelsea handlers and so on saying "good riddance"

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Decius posted:

you need to be doing whats best for the nation in yr capacity as an elected official

jfc remember how manifestly horrid it was when mitch mcturtle said his #1 job was making Obama a one term potus

try to beat the poo poo out of them electorally but do yr fuckin job

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Fox Ironic posted:

Trump may be a shithead, but I'm guessing that he's starting to feel that cognitive dissonance whispering in his ear that he really shouldn't have nominated an Establishment Republican as his VP pick.

I think the only thing going through Trump's mind right now is how awesome he is and how many more of these boring rear end meetings he has to attend before he can party

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

I think what really captures this election for me is all the hillary boosters talking about moving to europe/canada, regardless of whether or not it's unpatriotic or being sore losers the people who didn't vote for Hillary aren't people who can afford or have the opportunity to just emigrate to another 1st world country, and I imagine they're watching the parade of chelsea handlers and so on saying "good riddance"

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing.

mannerup
Jan 11, 2004

♬ I Know You're Dying Trying To Figure Me Out♬

♬My Name's On The Tip Of Your Tongue Keep Running Your Mouth♬

♬You Want The Recipe But Can't Handle My Sound My Sound My Sound♬

♬No Matter What You Do Im Gonna Get It Without Ya♬

♬ I Know You Ain't Used To A Female Alpha♬

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

kibaces
Jul 11, 2016
https://twitter.com/JRubinBlogger/status/796779797548584961
this is your life now

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

Bass Bottles posted:

What does "work with" mean, though?

My interpretation of it was "We will reject every heinous thing they suggest but we won't be assholes and refuse to even listen to what their ideas are" which seems like... the only option?

yeah the dems should work with on ideas like infrastructure spending and try to get the privatized part taken out

and then be as obstructionist as possible on poo poo like the wall

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

polysynth posted:

Exactly

Perfectly Safe
May 30, 2003

no danger here.

Rocks posted:

also don't forget we didn't think he'd beat all the republicans. and then we thought he wouldn't win presidency. now watch the guy be a good president. just lmao

Also, quantum mechanics!

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

I once was woke but now I see

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I wonder what Julian Assange is gonna do now.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
He was laughed at when he said he had respect for women or whatever, when he gets laughed at sometimes he goes and proves them wrong. so maybe he won't rape a single woman in the next 4 years. that'll show you.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Look, if Trump actually proposes something worth doing, then hell, why not? Like if he really wants to work on infrastructure and put rural people to work on public works projects, then I'm all for that. Things that are good should be done.

But in terms of banning Muslims, deportations, cutting social welfare programs and rolling back LGBT rights: hell no

Fox Ironic
Jul 19, 2012

by exmarx

Decius posted:

The plan is to play politics and turn Trump and the GOP against each other. Fracture them by offering Trump the least harmful pieces of his "legacy" in exchange for him pissing off the GOP Elite, who will then get primaried by Trumpist Young Bloods or lose to Economic Progressives who talk about bringing Jobs back.

The GOP is too stupid to do anything but play obstructionist, The Democrats can hopefully play politics.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Don't loving fall into this trap, people. Donald Trump will continue to be Donald Trump, he's not gonna change now that he's been validated.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Decius posted:

The trick is to make some noises about coming together so they'll let their guard down, then start flipping tables a couple weeks in.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

I for one absolutely trust the political machinations of a major party that just lost the presidency to Donald Trump, reality tv star

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Wikkheiser posted:

I wonder what Julian Assange is gonna do now.

Probably get questioned over his rape charges, Ecuador seems pretty fed up with him right about now

• Locked thread