Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Sorry Obama but your new full time job is to hang out with Trump and make sure he doesn't push the button.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

chumbler posted:

It turns out a lot of self professed progressives actually have zero progressive values.

The implementation of progressive economic policies would require an armed revolution, both political parties support liberal economics and that is not changing.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Rated PG-34 posted:

Yup, all those millions that Jill Stein put into attack ads against Hillary cost Hillary the election.

To be fair the margin was so narrow that literally any negative influence technically cost her the election.

Then again I'm not sure Jill Stein was even that relevant.

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

I mean boning, the wild mambo, the hunka chunka

chumbler posted:

It turns out a lot of self professed progressives actually have zero progressive values.

Agreed; I'm seeing a shocking number of posters arguing that people should start arming themselves. It's an insane idea when the right says it and it's just as bad when we say it.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

This is the one interesting wrinkle about all this. He's just so easily convinced to change course by an audience, by a charismatic person, etc. Part of what makes him so unpredictable, potentially for good and for bad.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
https://twitter.com/ABC/status/796513222388043777

Oh loving christ no.

pocket pool
Aug 4, 2003

B U T T S

Bleak Gremlin

I was about to type out a question wondering if saying things like that would hurt him with the anti-Obama types in his base but who the gently caress am I kidding.

Bad Decision Dino
Aug 3, 2010

We'll invade Russia.

steinrokkan posted:

Yes, but liberals itt are afraid that giving people a positive incentive not to act as bigots would somehow made them compromise their values?
If weak rear end talking points like "We're going to bring back all of the jobs." is enough of an incentive to make half the country throw out common decency and vote for orange clown Hitler, I can understand why minorities in this thread feel like they are not being valued by their fellow Americans.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Well, finally happened today. I live in a not-very white area on the south side of Chicago, and on walking into school today had a group scream at me and follow me to the front doors before throwing a can of pop at my head as I walked in.

Never heard the term "Cauchead" before, so that's new. I voted for Hillary too :smith:

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

So Trump is back to his primary hobby, schmoozing with celebrities. Is this the final confirmation that this is the Ryan - Pence presidency?

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

pocket pool posted:

I was about to type out a question wondering if saying things like that would hurt him with the anti-Obama types in his base but who the gently caress am I kidding.

There were people calling in to lovely talk radio stations enraged at the possibility that he wouldn't actually lock Hillary up like he promised he would, so this probably hurts a tiny bit of his support at least.

Rampant Dwickery
Nov 12, 2011

Comfy and cozy.

Helloooooooo Attorney General John Ashcroft.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Squashing Machine posted:

Agreed; I'm seeing a shocking number of posters arguing that people should start arming themselves. It's an insane idea when the right says it and it's just as bad when we say it.

Except one group has a long and storied history of wanton violence against people with zero provocation.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Aaaahahaha we get what we deserve.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Bad Decision Dino posted:

If weak rear end talking points like "We're going to bring back all of the jobs." is enough of an incentive to make half the country throw out common decency and vote for orange clown Hitler, I can understand why minorities in this thread feel like they are not being valued by their fellow Americans.

That's fair enough. I mean, I can only imagine what it is like to know that the promises for which my priorities were exchanged are completely vapid.

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

Deified Data posted:

Reread - I don't think racists should be catered to in any way, shape, or form. Those make up the majority of the "disposables" in that scenario. I don't think the Dems would lose any significant amount of people for promising a positive economic future for the working class. Racists wouldn't bite but I said we don't need them.

This is the problem of Lessail's version of purity politics though. Saying "we needed to offer the white voters who went with Obama in the previous elections an incentive to come out for Hillary" is not the same as saying "we need to make nice with racists." But, in his mind, these people are racists all the way down and any attempt to court them is tantamount to throwing PoC under the bus. It's nonsense, and it's useless for building a strategy to win future elections.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

The Shortest Path posted:

To be fair the margin was so narrow that literally any negative influence technically cost her the election.

Then again I'm not sure Jill Stein was even that relevant.

I posted some bad things about hillary on the internets. It's my fault Trump got elected, welp.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Was it wishful thinking but isn't he looking at possible jail time for the poo poo he's pulled?

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Sharkopath posted:

It's a ref to the idea that keeps popping up in these post elections threads that the election was lost because the DNC platform was entirely identity politics and that obviously alienated all white people so the lesson we should learn is to abandon them all together and focus mainly on issues that effect the rural and rust belt.

Instead of continuing both economic and social reform planks and just swinging more left and trying to fire up youth enthusiasm which seems the smarter choice to me, I mean florida won't be in play without a minority vote. That's what keeps it a swing state.

a lot of people in D&D don't have the faintest clue why Democrats abandoned economic populism in the first place and think laid-off HVAC workers in Pennsylvania are primarily motivated by what black people in New York are getting up to so while yeah I'm not surprised that they could somehow land on the idea that economic populism and gay marriage are somehow mutually exclusive concepts it's gonna take a much longer and more fundamental education than just pointing out that that's a stupid thing to believe

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Obama needs to convince Trump that these kinds of cabinet members would all be bombastic people who would be hangers on and try to siphon away credit from him and elevate themselves at Trump's expense. If Trump wants a legacy he needs to hire quiet, experienced, competent people who will just do the work and not have their own agendas.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Rated PG-34 posted:

I posted some bad things about hillary on the internets. It's my fault Trump got elected, welp.

It's okay friend, you can rest assured that SA posters are even less relevant than Stein.

And isn't that a goddamn sobering thought!

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Wow.

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

negromancer posted:

Except one group has a long and storied history of wanton violence against people with zero provocation.

Surely, more guns will save us. The future I want is where I get into several armed standoffs on my way to, at, and from the Trader Joes

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE

quote:

Kris Kobach, the secretary of state of Kansas and a leading architect of draconian anti-immigrant and voter suppression laws around the nation, will reportedly be serving on Donald Trump’s presidential transition team as an immigration adviser.

http://www.rightwingwatch.org/post/kris-kobach-architect-of-draconian-anti-immigrant-policies-joining-trumps-transition-team/

Things are looking bad for illegal immigrants. It wouldn't surprise me if we see waves of them going back to across the border on their own now.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Trump does this, and the USA becomes like California in twenty years with the real politics being between two factions of the democratic party.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Radish posted:

Sorry Obama but your new full time job is to hang out with Trump and make sure he doesn't push the button.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Not that I support their abuse but it's going to be funny to see all the American industries that basically only survive on their labor start to fail when no one else will do the work.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

This is the problem of Lessail's version of purity politics though. Saying "we needed to offer the white voters who went with Obama in the previous elections an incentive to come out for Hillary" is not the same as saying "we need to make nice with racists." But, in his mind, these people are racists all the way down and any attempt to court them is tantamount to throwing PoC under the bus. It's nonsense, and it's useless for building a strategy to win future elections.

No there needs to be continual and intense push back against the idea so that the party can't easily decide to slip up

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Noooo

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

Doctor Butts posted:

Was it wishful thinking but isn't he looking at possible jail time for the poo poo he's pulled?

Under a Trump DOJ?

PKJC
May 7, 2009

Surely, more guns will save us. The future I want is where I get into several armed standoffs on my way to, at, and from the Trader Joes

2020_democratic_policy_platform.png

MountGeek
Apr 14, 2016

Wow, I was hoping he would just go away after his loss and contempt of court charge. Trump will probably pardon him day one.

sumie
Mar 29, 2006
GUERNSEY (adj.)

Queasy but umbowed. The kind of feeling one gets when discovering a
plastic compartment in a fridge in which thing are growing.
Sorry for posting a reddit link, but oh my god what have you unleashed

https://www.reddit.com/r/The_Donald/comments/5c8gsw/make_europe_great_again_check_out_our_sister/

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

steinrokkan posted:

That's fair enough. I mean, I can only imagine what it is like to know that the promises for which my priorities were exchanged are completely vapid.

it's deffo very exhausitng.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

VH4Ever posted:

This is the one interesting wrinkle about all this. He's just so easily convinced to change course by an audience, by a charismatic person, etc. Part of what makes him so unpredictable, potentially for good and for bad.

yeah, the one good thing about Trump in comparison to a boilerplate Republican is that he gives zero shits about what the party wants and is super easy to manipulate on a personal level

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
So a potential Trump cabinet is literally probably gonna be

State: Newt "wants to Invade Russia" Gingrich
AG: Rudy "they're just allegations" Giuliani
DHS: Sheriff Joe "Mexicans are target practice" Arpaio
Education: (THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK)
Interior: Sarah Palin
Agriculture: Former Georgia Governor Sonny "led a group prayer outside the State Capitol for rain during a drought" Perdue
Defense: Mike Flynn
Commerce: The CEO of Lucas Oil
Treasury: A Goldman Sachs CEO

lol

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
Trying to court white voters can very very very very easily turn to racism

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Ha, jokes on you, they will all happen in Cracker Barrel.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Should we blame the 'influence' of third parties or the lack of influence of a billion dollar DNC machine?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I for one am excited for the Department of Education to get its head lopped off and no one caring at all

• Locked thread