Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Astroclassicist posted:

How could no one, and I include my own not-at-all important views in this, see that there might be an issue up in the Rust Belt?

I don't think it was a mistake to trust the consensus of polling and try for important bonuses like propositions. We know the polling was systematically wrong now, but going with your gut feeling over what reputable polls tell you will burn you more often than not. Bill Mitchell was lucky, not insightful.

The problem was aiming for electoral votes in landslide states at the cost of maintaining your firewall in case of a polling error, because bonus electoral votes don't actually get you anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Well What Now
Nov 10, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Shredded Hen

Pomp posted:

every one hosed up and i'm mad at every one of us

yeah, that's perfectly understandable

but after that, what the gently caress happens next? like, what the gently caress do we do when we get the anger out of our systems? do we want the anger out of our systems?

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

Well What Now posted:

yeah, that's perfectly understandable

but after that, what the gently caress happens next? like, what the gently caress do we do when we get the anger out of our systems? do we want the anger out of our systems?

Guillotines

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Dr_0ctag0n posted:

Guillotines

Obviously, but in addition something more along the lines of how do you get involved with the Democratic party and try to influence it for the better?

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011
Trump didn't have a coherent vision of the future, but he was the only one running with a coherent vision of the present. It just happened to be based on white supremacy instead of what's actually causing the problems in the first place.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

Pomp posted:

every one hosed up and i'm mad at every one of us

Yep. But what could we have done? Robby Mook wasn't gonna listen to me.

nopants
May 29, 2004

Raskolnikov38 posted:

what the gently caress did they spend money on if not downticket races that needed help? 450 mil on Hamilton tickets?!?!?!?

Astroturf.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Adventure Pigeon posted:

You don't understand or give a poo poo about them, they don't understand or give a poo poo about you. If you want to change that, find common ground, because otherwise this is pretty much how it's going to be for a long time.

i'm a white person with no college education who grew up dirt poor in southern trailer parks and I still don't understand what kept trump bullshit from being exceedingly transparent to 59,704,886 people

Well What Now posted:

do we want the anger out of our systems?

No. It's the same leftist anger and despair that Bernie tapped into. Anger is not necessarily a destructive force, it's a catalyst. It motivates us to get up and do something.

I'm a human, and i'm comin'

(just don't get mad at video games please)

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Mirthless posted:

If you voted for Trump you hate women, the disabled, and minorities, period, full stop, sorry

You also hate gays and the transgendered

Sorry! Don't vote for a literal white supremacist and rapist calling for active genocide next time! Your own self centered bullshit reasons for voting don't Trump the fact that Trump ran on the platform he did

If you voted for Hillary you hate Muslims, South American democracy, transparency in politics, etc.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

the trump tutelage posted:

If you voted for Hillary you hate Muslims, South American democracy, transparency in politics, etc.

...touche.

yeah, sorry guys, I'm pretty salty. :(

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Peel posted:

I don't think it was a mistake to trust the consensus of polling and try for important bonuses like propositions. We know the polling was systematically wrong now, but going with your gut feeling over what reputable polls tell you will burn you more often than not. Bill Mitchell was lucky, not insightful.

The problem was aiming for electoral votes in landslide states at the cost of maintaining your firewall in case of a polling error, because bonus electoral votes don't actually get you anything.

Polling wasn't that off. LV models were extremely off.

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

I am a master storyteller.

Pomp posted:

i'm a white person with no college education who grew up dirt poor in southern trailer parks and I still don't understand what kept trump bullshit from being exceedingly transparent to 59,704,886 people

For a lot of them, that was the only thing they had. If Hillary had given them an alternative vision, maybe things would've been different.

I suppose shout your policy from on high until everyone knows it is a pretty valuable lesson in all this.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Polling wasn't that off. LV models were extremely off.

I consider those part of but yeah, that seems to have been the particular problem.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/juliareinstein/even-in-the-darkest-of-times?utm_term=.utgk26yk#.yhA5lgZ5

welp.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

https://twitter.com/Lowenaffchen/status/796590988860985344

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Remember that one black 19 year old who was supporting Trump and allegedly skewing the polls 5 points in Trump's favor?

I've been watching The Office on repeat and yearning for the days when we re-elected a war mongering lying republican but it was ok becuase I wasn't going to have to move to Canada because my family's financial future was at stake if we lose the ACA.

The_Politics_Man
Aug 25, 2015

liberals.txt

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

tadashi posted:

Remember that one black 19 year old who was supporting Trump and allegedly skewing the polls 5 points in Trump's favor?

The LAT poll was still well off, though to its credit no more off than the others in the final analysis.

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Secondary Objective: Commit Fraud - Complete

Venom Snake posted:

B. Warren has given up. Bernie is also on the verge of throwing in the the towel. The only person I know willing to present opposition/unification right now is the Tim Kaine crowd/NOVA dems who believe we should rally around Bernie's primary message. Even if he himself won't do it.

Looks like I've got some work to do in the next four years. (<-- lives in NOVA)

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

Adventure Pigeon posted:

For a lot of them, that was the only thing they had. If Hillary had given them an alternative vision, maybe things would've been different.

I suppose shout your policy from on high until everyone knows it is a pretty valuable lesson in all this.

This is why Bernie immediately went to the stump speech in the debates btw

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHkPadFK34o

yup, make keith the dnc chairman

do it

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
When do I wake up

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!

Its a good start. Bernies pick.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

the trump tutelage posted:

I don't know what the long-term answer is, but I'm amazed at how aggressively some of the left-wing public icons/heroes are trying to shame the very people who didn't vote for them in the first place, like that's going to be helpful in any way.

fer example, both Sam B and the Daily Show had segments last night where they literally screamed into the camera, directly shouting at "white women" for being gender traitors and not voting whatever way they should have voted. "HOW DARE YOU NOT VOTE FOR HRC DON'T YOU KNOW SHE HAS A VAGINA AND TRUMP WANTS TO GRAB VAGINAS? YOU'RE TOO DUMB TO MAKE YOUR OWN CHOICES GOING FORWARD THANKS A LOT WHITE WOMEN!!!!!"

I get the whole frothing with rage thing because your candidate lost, and I get that people who are significantly disadvantaged already are likely to become screwed even more severely, but you've got to leverage that hate into something productive. screaming at a group of people who didn't vote for you about how dumb they are for not voting for you isn't going to endear them to you the next go-around.

I feel like there should be a ton more effort to figure out why those people who were expected to lock the election for HRC either didn't vote for her, or didn't show up at all, and not in a snarky way like:
"why didn't you vote for the only candidate that was ordained to be the sole champion of your gender?"
<explanation>
"oh what was that, I couldn't hear your answer over all the stupid that was coming out of your mouth!" *mugs for camera with 'can you believe this moron?' jon stewart face*

edit: I guess that's the biggest lesson I see; the entire left-wing media machine spent a whole lot of time trying to show the average TRUMP voters how dumb they were with clever word-play and by making silly faces at people while they gave their actual attention, and it accomplished gently caress-all. I know private entities (Viacom, TBS, CBS, etc.) don't have any obligation to do anything other than entertain, but you'd hope the talent involved in those programs would realize at some point that they do have the ability to influence our culture, whether they want it or not, and that they'd figure out at least how to not gently caress up their own goals.

Freaking Crumbum has issued a correction as of 19:34 on Nov 10, 2016

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6Xb1TPNkro

http://www.msnbc.com/the-last-word/watch/tavis-smiley-reacts-to-donald-trump-s-election-805393475898

Pener Kropoopkin has issued a correction as of 19:32 on Nov 10, 2016

snakeandbake
Aug 21, 2012

by exmarx
Maybe Hillary should have tried believing in something, better luck next time.

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Freaking Crumbum posted:

I don't know what the long-term answer is, but I'm amazed at how aggressively some of the left-wing public icons/heroes are trying to shame the very people who didn't vote for them in the first place, like that's going to be helpful in any way.

fer example, both Sam B and the Daily Show had segments last night where they literally screamed into the camera, directly shouting at "white women" for being gender traitors and not voting whatever way they should have voted. "HOW DARE YOU NOT VOTE FOR HRC DON'T YOU KNOW SHE HAS A VAGINA AND TRUMP WANTS TO GRAB VAGINAS? YOU'RE TOO DUMB TO MAKE YOUR OWN CHOICES GOING FORWARD THANKS A LOT WHITE WOMEN!!!!!"

I get the whole frothing with rage thing because your candidate lost, and I get that people who are significantly disadvantaged already are likely to become screwed even more severely, but you've got to leverage that hate into something productive. screaming at a group of people who didn't vote for you about how dumb they are for not voting for you isn't going to endear them to you the next go-around.

I feel like there should be a ton more effort to figure out why those people who were expected to lock the election for HRC either didn't vote for her, or didn't show up at all, and not in a snarky way like:
"why didn't you vote for the only candidate that was ordained to be the sole champion of your gender?"
<explanation>
"oh what was that, I couldn't hear your answer over all the stupid that was coming out of your mouth!" *mugs for camera with 'can you believe this moron?' jon stewart face*

Sam B has no credibility.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

Dr_0ctag0n posted:

I live in rural TN and I have had absolutely zero luck trying to convince multiple trump supporters that BLM is NOT a terrorist organization. They don't think the police can do wrong therefore they have no reason to reform them.

to be fair TN will never go blue

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Zythrst posted:

I don't mean like she's a nobel prize laureate who should know better; I mean if you're a rational person and you have a media platform that you can leverage to try and accomplish goals that you personally believe in, you might want to figure out how to do so without stomping all over your own dick. if you're only there to entertain people that's cool, but you can still do that in a way that doesn't gently caress up stuff you might actually want accomplished.

philosoraptor
Nov 4, 2008
Soiled Meat

Never ceases to amaze me that the comfort blanket of the left is the loving story of magic Oxbridge sending you an acceptance letter even though you didn't apply. Silly wizard, labor is for muggles!

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Freaking Crumbum posted:

<explanation>

edit: I guess that's the biggest lesson I see; the entire left-wing media machine spent a whole lot of time trying to show the average TRUMP voters how dumb they were with clever word-play and by making silly faces at people while they gave their actual attention, and it accomplished gently caress-all. I know private entities (Viacom, TBS, CBS, etc.) don't have any obligation to do anything other than entertain, but you'd hope the talent involved in those programs would realize at some point that they do have the ability to influence our culture, whether they want it or not, and that they'd figure out at least how to not gently caress up their own goals.

haha you are gonna get angry a lot more over the next 4 years as the dems repeat this poo poo over and over again because they are dumb

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf

HannibalBarca posted:

Some more grist for the mill on my "the machine failed" analysis of this election: http://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/305339-clinton-world-dumbfounded-by-hillarys-election-defeat

God.
Jesus, gently caress her for ignoring Feingold. It's been so depressing being in green bay and watching this district go from electing a dem representative in 06 to bigger and bigger Republican wins every 2 years. Mike Gallagher won 2-1 on the strength of "I've never raised taxes because I've been a marine my whole life oorah."

Womyn Capote
Jul 5, 2004

Evil will always win, because good is dumb

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Zythrst posted:

lol Sam B will be why the dems are gonna keep losing

"white males are the enemy"

welp why are we losing by alienating the most reliable voter demographic?

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Freaking Crumbum posted:

same reason thousands of people went out last night to stand in their cities and protest, and tons of people shared big long Facebook posts calling the entire country a white supremacist racist hateland: makes them feel better about themselves without having to do any of the hard parts of effecting change

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
So, now that gun control as a national issue is completely dead, can liberals/Democratic pols finally, mercifully, give it the gently caress up? 50% of my extended family is rural and liberal, and nearly all of them voted Trump based on gun control.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes
lol

quote:

Given Clinton’s primary loss to Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) in Michigan, allies questioned why the Democratic nominee didn’t double down in the state much earlier.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

So, now that gun control as a national issue is completely dead, can liberals/Democratic pols finally, mercifully, give it the gently caress up? 50% of my extended family is rural and liberal, and nearly all of them voted Trump based on gun control.

no because the democrats are idiots and probably don't understand you can just pass gun control laws in blue states and if the red states wants to shoot at each other so be it

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Typo posted:

lol Sam B will be why the dems are gonna keep losing

"white males are the enemy"

welp why are we losing by alienating the most reliable voter demographic?

Well to her family Black males may be the enemy too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Typo posted:

haha you are gonna get angry a lot more over the next 4 years as the dems repeat this poo poo over and over again because they are dumb

I would have had the same question, but going the other direction, if HRC had won. TRUMP engendered a ton of nationalist / racist / etc. sentiments and emboldened a ton of people who have some terrible opinions, and even if he had lost by the landslide that HRC's team was predicting, all of those people who had voted for him weren't going to just vanish into the aether. I would have still been curious to see what HRC/the Dems would have done to either placate those people or educate them or whatever, because her entire campaign otherwise seemed to alternate between pretending they didn't exist or else trying to shame them into changing whatever awful opinions they already held, but at no point was it evident that there was any kind of outreach to try and figure out just why so many of these people came out of the woodwork for TRUMP.

• Locked thread