Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Ready for the most petty complaint you're going to hear today? The new operations manager is too nice and it's bugging the crap out of me. Everything she says takes forever to get out because of all the additional courtesy. She also calls everyone by their last name, which is very weird, so I become Mr. Stripe. So a simple exchange on a conference call will be like:

Someone else: Deborah were those servers turned over to customer?

Deborah: It was my understanding, I believe from Mr. Stripe that, and correct me if I am wrong here, but according to Mr. Stripe, and if I am repeating this inaccurately please let me know, but I believe there is more work to be done, per his email I believe on the morning of November 8th was it? No let me check, ahh here it is, the email he sent on the afternoon of November 7th. Mr. Stripe is this something you could elaborate on so that we might consider how this item fits within our current timelines? In advance, thank you. (I promise, you are reading this WAY faster than she is saying it...)

Mr. Stripe:

MC Fruit Stripe fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Nov 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

That's annoying, but so is getting chewed out for being too direct.

Some guy: Hey this error says that deduplication isn't supported and that my D: drive is a dedupe drive. What should I do?
Me: What do you think you should do? Look at that logically.
*ten minutes pass*
Me: Okay you never answered, so I'll just tell you: check if your D: drive is a dedupe drive. If it is, it's not supported by that software.

Then two hours later I get chewed out by that guy's boss for not being nice enough.

I've taken to replying in language like that lady above just so people stop bitching that I'm not nice enough.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Bob Morales posted:

This is an actual powerpoint slide they showed at a company meeting

Beautiful polo shirts

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
Saw this on Reddit and it pissed me off:

quote:

I do tech support for linux servers.

Customer emails in saying that they got an alert from Cloudflare telling him that someone had a failed login to their Wordpress. The curious thing is -- this other person knew his exact username which was a fairly secure string of numbers and letters. Mystery: How did a stranger find out his username?

I check the logs, and this person got access to his wp-admin page via a link. So I go to this link and find that this website has the login url, username, password, and database name for every website on this customer's account.

But something is weird... this page that has all this vital information is registered in the customer's name. It is actually the customer's lastname.TLD. It also links to other places like where he gets his pharmacy prescriptions, drop box, his google account. All having partial or full login details. It even has his calendar via a google calendar inline frame. He's having a party next week and has a meeting this weekend.

This is all on the public internet. This customer created a website that has in plain text all the information needed (and more) to gain access to nearly his entire life. No -- truly his entire life since getting access to his gmail account could easily give one access to his bank accounts, mortgages, etc.

He sat down at GoDaddy or wherever, registered a domain name that is his name, under his name, and put all his private life details on it without even password protecting the directory.

And he emailed me. To ask ME why our servers are insecure to the point that someone was able to find out what his username was.

EDIT: He's since replied a few times and appropriately has his tail between his legs.

:stonklol: This has to be one of the worst lovely-security things I've ever read, if not the worst. Holy gently caress.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

D34THROW posted:

Saw this on Reddit and it pissed me off:

:stonklol: This has to be one of the worst lovely-security things I've ever read, if not the worst. Holy gently caress.

Back in college we had an internal DC++ hub that was used, and every so often I would find someone who had bankingshit.txt and passwords.xls shared out on the thing, and I would have to message them and let them know that someone might steal the $.23 they have in their checking, and to change that poo poo and stop sharing the documents folder, PS your thesis statement in that last essay was poo poo.

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

If it wasn't for him calling and bitching, I'd almost think it was an art school senior project or something.

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
I put project work in tickets because my company is retarded. Now I have to update 'open tickets' for seven different projects every three days no matter the status. I am going to get that changed, but in the meantime eat a dick whoever is too stupid to contextualize why my 'incidents' aren't updated for weeks at a time sometimes.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

For a long time googling anything with a quoted "Index of /" string as part of your query would reveal a hilarious amount of people's personal information they tossed on a webserver and figured no one would ever find.

Most people used it to find mp3's. :v:

The technique still technically works but these days there are much fewer websites out there that leave directory indexes on.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
Sweet, the guy on our team who has been out of college for 2 years now is looking like he is going to get promoted over me, and everyone else on the team all of which have way more experience than him, to team lead.

I think its time to get out of this shithole, since the CTO has developed a dislike for me for whatever reason.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Back in college we had an internal DC++ hub that was used, and every so often I would find someone who had bankingshit.txt and passwords.xls shared out on the thing, and I would have to message them and let them know that someone might steal the $.23 they have in their checking, and to change that poo poo and stop sharing the documents folder, PS your thesis statement in that last essay was poo poo.

Heh, our local LAN group just started up throwing LAN parties again, and everyone goddamn forgot network security during the hiatus. Standard procedure (for me, anyway) is to go poking into open shares, looking for :filez: or picture directories. (Not at work, poo poo ain't worth my job yo.)

"Hmmm, TaxReturn2015.PDF."

<goes off to tell dude that's in his share>

"What's in this one? TaxReturn2015.PDF."

<goes off to tell *that* dude it's shared>

"What nex... TaxReturn2013.PDF, TaxReturn2014.PDF, TaxReturn2015.PDF..."

"HEY, EVERYBODY CHECK YOUR loving SHARES!"

<someone comes up to me later>

"Why do you have a picture of Frankenstein punching a velociraptor in your shared files?"

:black101:

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Was that dude's site probably crawled by Google and the Internet Archive? So all that data is out there. He'd need to change all of his passwords, but even then it's probably revealing some data that a password change won't fix.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Zamboni Apocalypse posted:

Heh, our local LAN group just started up throwing LAN parties again, and everyone goddamn forgot network security during the hiatus. Standard procedure (for me, anyway) is to go poking into open shares, looking for :filez: or picture directories. (Not at work, poo poo ain't worth my job yo.)

"Why do you have a picture of Frankenstein punching a velociraptor in your shared files?"

I did this at a LAN Party once, and found a dude's folder called "Girls" and in it were tons of non-nude photos of female celebrities that he had photoshopped elf ears on to. A surprising number of which were Clair Forlani elf ear pics.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

On one hand I despise my desktop support brethren for the draconian policy enforcement they put on every desktop and laptop, but on the other I applaud them for saving people from shooting themselves in the foot.

Before enforcement was a thing the quantity of poo poo I saw on public SMB shares could have gotten dozens of people fired.

I wasn't even trying to look for it, but OSX casually probes for that stuff and builds a list of discovered systems in the finder so it was this constantly shifting library of smut and music collections.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
As an addendum to my previous post about the fresh faced college grad being promoted over all of us, we are now up to 3 of the 5 full time developers on this project actively looking for work elsewhere.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Man, it would be so hard to go to a big file sharing LAN party these days. Gone are the days of hot hot massive 120GB hard drives inside my lovely Chinese whitebox PC case, they're all in a set of 4U cases out in the garage. I shudder to think of exactly how much of a massive pain in the dick it would be to move all of those to someone's house for an evening. On the plus side, I have a real domain with real share security and a windows file server as a frontend, so no issues with 'whoops, didn't mean for THAT to be shared'. Another plus, I would have about 4x the combined storage space of everyone else, so I get to play clearinghouse for everything.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Khisanth Magus posted:

As an addendum to my previous post about the fresh faced college grad being promoted over all of us, we are now up to 3 of the 5 full time developers on this project actively looking for work elsewhere.

Is this person good at what they do? Are they likable and dependable? Do you have issues with being confrontational?

I get being irked that a person with limited experience being promoted, but a team lead position isn't a great position of notoriety at most companies. This expectation that you deserve a promotion because you have been in the industry longer or at your place of business longer is a little loose. Your argument should be more centered around being a more valuable employee and deserving a promotion.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Man, it would be so hard to go to a big file sharing LAN party these days. Gone are the days of hot hot massive 120GB hard drives inside my lovely Chinese whitebox PC case, they're all in a set of 4U cases out in the garage. I shudder to think of exactly how much of a massive pain in the dick it would be to move all of those to someone's house for an evening. On the plus side, I have a real domain with real share security and a windows file server as a frontend, so no issues with 'whoops, didn't mean for THAT to be shared'. Another plus, I would have about 4x the combined storage space of everyone else, so I get to play clearinghouse for everything.

Now the real question is: Have you moved to 10G yet?

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Sickening posted:

Is this person good at what they do? Are they likable and dependable? Do you have issues with being confrontational?

I get being irked that a person with limited experience being promoted, but a team lead position isn't a great position of notoriety at most companies. This expectation that you deserve a promotion because you have been in the industry longer or at your place of business longer is a little loose. Your argument should be more centered around being a more valuable employee and deserving a promotion.

He is good at what he does, and I actually really like the guy and am friends with him. Doesn't mean I'm going to stay at a company that promotes the guy with 8 years less experience than me to a position that pays twice my salary.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Khisanth Magus posted:

He is good at what he does, and I actually really like the guy and am friends with him. Doesn't mean I'm going to stay at a company that promotes the guy with 8 years less experience than me to a position that pays twice my salary.

So you deserve it because you have been spinning around on the earth longer?

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

Maybe the guy is just better?

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Sickening posted:

So you deserve it because you have been spinning around on the earth longer?

I've worked my rear end off since I started working for this company(about 3 months after he did), and I'm at best looking at a 5% raise this year if I'm lucky. Meanwhile the pretty much fresh college graduate is going to have his salary over doubled because he is better at schmoozing with the PM who has way too much say over how our team operates.

And, in general, yes I expect that a degree of experience should play some part in determining what you are paid. I'm not going to stick around at a place where I'm stuck on the lowest paying run of the totem pole while people with very little actual professional experience are jumped way above me in pay.

EDIT: I would like to add that my direct manager has been very impressed with my work and has said that he has been trying to get a promotion for me, which the CTO has refused to OK.

Khisanth Magus fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Nov 10, 2016

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Khisanth Magus posted:

I've worked my rear end off since I started working for this company(about 3 months after he did), and I'm at best looking at a 5% raise this year if I'm lucky. Meanwhile the pretty much fresh college graduate is going to have his salary over doubled because he is better at schmoozing with the PM who has way too much say over how our team operates.

And, in general, yes I expect that a degree of experience should play some part in determining what you are paid. I'm not going to stick around at a place where I'm stuck on the lowest paying run of the totem pole while people with very little actual professional experience are jumped way above me in pay.

Has your coworker and friend not worked his rear end off too? Are his people skills not suppose to count?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Khisanth Magus posted:

Sometimes experience does not mean skill. I've known people who have 15+ years in IT that know less than someone fresh out of college. Look at your skill set, if you think you are lacking in anything you clearly can't evaluate yourself well enough everyone is lacking in something. If you feel his weaknesses are equal or greater than yours move on. Lots of places do give people promotions based on how long they have been someplace, or even have a limit on how often someone can be promoted. You might not make the cutoff for the promotion.

Khisanth Magus posted:

EDIT: I would like to add that my direct manager has been very impressed with my work and has said that he has been trying to get a promotion for me, which the CTO has refused to OK.

Now it sounds more like someone playing favorites to an rear end kisser. You always have the option of going to whoever made the decision to not promote you over the new guy and have an honest chat. "Hey I feel my skills are better than %new guy% I just wanted to talk about why I was passed over so I can improve and get the next promotion". This seems like you are trying to grow. Who knows maybe they have a valid reason like some one has filed a few complaints about you.

pixaal fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Nov 10, 2016

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

And no image link? :mediocre:

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Wibla posted:

Now the real question is: Have you moved to 10G yet?

Yes, actually. I got two of the Intel X520 2 port 10gig fiber cards for a song on ebay, a cheapo depot copper 10gb cable, and wired the storage box and the virtualization box together. For maximum dipshittery, when we were upgrading some older laptops to SSDs, I pulled 10 of them, made a bigass raid 0 on my file server, then made a VM and ran ATTO against it. Peak transfer at max queue depths was somewhere north of 800MB sec, without jumbo frames turned on. I didn't get to keep that setup for more than a day before I had to secure erase the SSDs and drop them in laptops, but it was pretty funny to watch the network load meter on the solaris box poo poo itself and spike to 90% after so long sitting at maybe 5%.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Does anyone have to deal with setting personal goals as part of a yearly performance review? I feel kinda irked by the whole thing in the first place. I have a job I was hired for an the reviews I get during the year are supposed to let me know how I'm doing in that regard. With these goals I feel like the company is trying to get us to commit to doing even more? Yearly raises aren't a thing around here. And this place has the mindset of "the job doesn't change once you get a new degree or cert, so we're not going to give you more money just because of that".

Edit: also if anyone has any advice on how to go about making these so they don't bite me in the rear end later I would greatly appreciate it. I haven't had a sit down with my manager to actually take a look at them but the guy I work with has so I know its coming.

Coredump fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Nov 10, 2016

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Samizdata posted:

And no image link? :mediocre:

I was forum'ing while working and didn't have time to GIS and find an unblocked imagehost. :P

Save as: MY WALLPAPER

(Makes me want to get an ancient Econoline or something, and a permanent playlist of Fu Manchu and other stoner rock)

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Coredump posted:

Does anyone have to deal with setting personal goals as part of a yearly performance review? I feel kinda irked by the whole thing in the first place. I have a job I was hired for an the reviews I get during the year are supposed to let me know how I'm doing in that regard. With these goals I feel like the company is trying to get us to commit to doing even more? Yearly raises aren't a thing around here. And this place has the mindset of "the job doesn't change once you get a new degree or cert, so we're not going to give you more money just because of that".

Your personal goal should be getting out, in that case.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Thanks Ants posted:

Your personal goal should be getting out, in that case.

Seconded, if you aren't getting yearly raises, one of 2 things is happening:

1) The company is not profitable and is in fact in some stage of decline/failure
2) the people above you are getting large pay raises and giving you the middle finger

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

I was forum'ing while working and didn't have time to GIS and find an unblocked imagehost. :P

Save as: MY WALLPAPER

(Makes me want to get an ancient Econoline or something, and a permanent playlist of Fu Manchu and other stoner rock)

Cheers. Most awesome. Saved and already shared with a buddy in a Telegram session

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

MF_James posted:

Seconded, if you aren't getting yearly raises, one of 2 things is happening:

1) The company is not profitable and is in fact in some stage of decline/failure
2) the people above you are getting large pay raises and giving you the middle finger

Public sector, should have made that clear. So its a state-wide thing.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My goals are typically soft bullshit barely a step above "show up at my desk" and "breathe."

Like, take a task you're normally responsible for and add "maintenance and upgrades" of those tasks as a goal. Then toss a random personal development take like "learn this scripting language" or add "learn how to use X" for some bit of software you already intended to work on.

My boss has a list of default goals too, like adhere to department policy or promote diversity. If they don't do that for you maybe you can pad the list with those too.

Fortunately my boss hates the review process as much as I do so he fully supports making the routine as easy as possible.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

Let's shut the gently caress up about elections/politics and go back to our stupid jobs and stupid co-workers

Yeah I realized about half an hour after I posted that I'd bitched about work but not about the IT aspect of it. Mea culpa.

Meanwhile, today's wtf google search flagged in the web monitoring:

"is it illegal for girls to snuggle"

sfwarlock fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Nov 10, 2016

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
It that was illegal then college would be a lot less interesting

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

sfwarlock posted:

Yeah I realized about half an hour after I posted that I'd bitched about work but not about the IT aspect of it. Mea culpa.

Meanwhile, today's wtf google search flagged in the web monitoring:

"is it illegal for girls to snuggle"

Putting "Is it illegal for" into google was a saddening experience, the top 5 are: "Is it illegal for an 18-year-old to date a 14/15/16/17 year old" 14 was TWICE and the second time was extremely bad English.

V-- I remember both of those things and yes it makes me feel the same as you.

MF_James fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Nov 10, 2016

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Half your age plus seven, people. Come on.

I remember when I was younger, that was discussed very seriously. I also remember that there was a countdown to the Olson twins turning 18 which is one of those things that seemed funny at the time, but is horrifying now.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Half your age plus seven, people. Come on.

I remember when I was younger, that was discussed very seriously. I also remember that there was a countdown to the Olson twins turning 18 which is one of those things that seemed funny at the time, but is horrifying now.

And whatshername from harry potter : that was creepy right from the start.

There was a website with a countdown timer to the exact second she turned 18 which may have been a joke, but also may have been deadly serious.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
The internet is a creepy place.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Moey posted:

The world is a creepy place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU