Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Good to see that everything is back to normal.

VASooner posted:

Completely forgot about locality pay... Thank God. It looks like they didn't take into account 4 work years which should put me at either FP-4 Step 5 or FP-5 Step 12. Either would still suck for a few months, but that's much more manageable.

Thanks... Wife was freaking out.

Try to confirm that new hired in training get locality pay. That wasn't the case some time ago, but things might have changed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
I didn't get locality pay but I got overseas comparability pay, which was like +18%?

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

That sounds right.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
That actually is correct. I forgot, I got assigned to DC on flag day and switched to DC locality then.

Hungry Hippo
May 5, 2006

You expect me to eat this?
The highest we could come in as was as a 5 step 14, with an admin promotion 18 months later to FP 4. It's definitely rough for the local hires.

sociablegoldfinch
Feb 18, 2016

zzonkmiles posted:

No way! Was she wearing red? Does she speak an Asian language? If so, she has my DOS business card, so you guys can keep in touch! Good luck! :)

Ahh.. you must have been on the other side of the room with our other classmate who is headed to Russia. My wife and kiddos were all on the end of the front row, with the massive stroller :)

Kudaros
Jun 23, 2006
Are there any places in the Foreign Service for scientists -- particularly those with PhDs? Not talking about lab work (necessarily) but policy, advising and such.

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Kudaros posted:

Are there any places in the Foreign Service for scientists -- particularly those with PhDs? Not talking about lab work (necessarily) but policy, advising and such.

Yes! Also in the civil service. ISN is stuffed with PhD chemists, biologists, and physicists working on non-pro stuff.

Kudaros
Jun 23, 2006

the_chavi posted:

Yes! Also in the civil service. ISN is stuffed with PhD chemists, biologists, and physicists working on non-pro stuff.

I'll look into it, thanks! I'm looking for something that would allow me to work abroad in various capacities. I have experience with renewable energy technologies (although on a more fundamental level) and climate research. I've seen things with the UN in the past, though nothing now.

What does ISN stand for?

Giodo!
Oct 29, 2003

International Security and non proliferation. If you are interested more in energy stuff it might not be the best fit, maybe consider postings for Oceans, International Environmental and Scientific affairs (OES). But I can't say that I'm familiar with either.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
You could look for ESTH jobs -- OES has quite a few of those.

http://www.state.gov/e/oes/hub/

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Kudaros posted:

I'll look into it, thanks! I'm looking for something that would allow me to work abroad in various capacities. I have experience with renewable energy technologies (although on a more fundamental level) and climate research. I've seen things with the UN in the past, though nothing now.

What does ISN stand for?

If you're based in the US, reach out to your nearest Diplomat in Residence. They can give you more details. You might also look at the Jefferson Fellowship as a starting point. http://sites.nationalacademies.org/PGA/Jefferson/

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

A Ph.D. oceanographer from my orientation class has done plenty of OES jobs, including overseas.

Total Confusion
Oct 9, 2004
Scores are out for the October FSOT. On to the PNQs! :ohdear:

zzonkmiles
Mar 3, 2014

Oh, he was just arbitrarily saying stuff.
Congrats and condolences as appropriate for the October FSOT cohort.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Hey all. Haven't thought about this thread in about 2 years or so, but on a whim I decided to give the FSOT another shot and finally passed the written portion. Now that I've been in the real (read: business) world for four years since leaving undergrad, my writing style was totally different and the whole test seemed like a breeze. On to the personal narratives!

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Hey y'all, random question. Would anyone here have experience (ideally recently) moving their official residence from DC to some other non-DC area between getting on the register and getting a job offer, so you aren't a local hire? I have a friend who is contemplating this scenario now and trying to talk through logistics. My sense is that it's doable, but I didn't do it myself (and even if I had, it was 9 years ago), so I'm trying to put him in touch with someone who can speak more credibly.

Thanks!

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

I thought it was computed from your location at the time the offer of employment was made.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Woop woop, passed the FSOT with a 173.81 on the multiple choice and a very nice 6 on the essay. Third time around, here's hoping I get pass the PNs this time.

Any suggestions/places to look at to help me get past it? Thanks.

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Business of Ferrets posted:

I thought it was computed from your location at the time the offer of employment was made.

Right, he hasn't gotten the offer of employment and is moving to the other side of the country imminently. The move was already planned; getting on the register happened a lot sooner than he expected so he's trying to figure out what he needs to do to make it look like it's not fraudulent.

Nutrimentia
Apr 30, 2013

You're a cantaloupe!

the_chavi posted:

Right, he hasn't gotten the offer of employment and is moving to the other side of the country imminently. The move was already planned; getting on the register happened a lot sooner than he expected so he's trying to figure out what he needs to do to make it look like it's not fraudulent.

Nothing. If it's not fraudulent, it's not fraudulent.

Homie S
Aug 6, 2001

This is what it means
I think during orientation they have you fill out some tax forms showing residency. I remember doing something resembling this at Main State...

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Nutrimentia posted:

Nothing. If it's not fraudulent, it's not fraudulent.

Yeah pretty much this. Steps are move, do all the normal change your address stuff like new license and voter registration, and notify the registrar of your new address. That's it. I didn't do it but a few of my classmates did.

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Hope Foreign Service Christmas was kind to everyone!

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

the_chavi posted:

LOL I'm going to use this.

The Mantis
Jul 19, 2004

what is yall sayin?

the_chavi posted:

what's this now? do i not know what it is because where I am it's just now 2009??

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

The Mantis posted:

what's this now? do i not know what it is because where I am it's just now 2009??

Handshake day ;)

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Nice little present in passport inboxes this afternoon

zzonkmiles
Mar 3, 2014

Just read that if Trump wins tomorrow, he'd like to tap Newt Gingrich for Secretary of State.

Meanwhile, the world is holding its collective breath.

Oh, and PNs are due in 10 days, so don't delay!

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
Next year I'll be at FSI turning all you stupid newbies into less stupid newbies.

See you soon.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

AKA Pseudonym posted:

Next year I'll be at FSI turning all you stupid newbies into less stupid newbies.

See you soon.

Welp - there goes the future.

;)

zzonkmiles
Mar 3, 2014

poo poo.

tismondo
Dec 14, 2005

Take that, subspace!
Anyone resigning in protest? I'll take your spot :(

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I have a few friends who have resigned military commissions already, but thus far I've seen no one at State resigning yet. Even had a few people reach out to me about taking the test to join up to try to counterbalance... which is honestly why I first took the test in 2006.

bug chaser chaser
Dec 11, 2006

So is this a good thing for those trying to get in? I was planning on taking the Feb test.

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

bug chaser chaser posted:

So is this a good thing for those trying to get in? I was planning on taking the Feb test.

Way too soon to tell, but you should definitely not wait to take the test if you're interested.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
I think it depends on if State will be one of the agencies that Trump plans to use attrition to lower the workforce or not. Could be far fewer positions open could be the same.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

:newt:

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Trump has promised to freeze hiring on all Federal employment that is not "military, public health, or public safety" to reduce payrolls through attrition.

I didn't think things could get worse on the diplomatic corps but then again I didn't think Trump could get elected, so...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
I've seen a lot of FSO's posting their oaths on Facebook to either reiterate that they will serve no matter who the president is or to emphasize the duty to fight against domestic enemies. Not sure which