Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Meatball posted:

This was a few pages back, but this is the worst part: people don't seem to understand what they just voted for.

They voted for trump, and when asked about his policies, they said 'oh he's not serious ' or 'he won't get them through'.

Then what the gently caress did you vote for?

A lot of people are going to lose their health protection, a lot of jobs are dependent on the government.

When they lose their job, or their healthcare, or their taxes go up to pay for military adventures abroad, and lose their social security, they won't understand why.

If he goes through with the deportation stuff, thousands of legal people will get caught up, and I doubt trump administration people will do anything.

I think a lot of people who wanted small government are in for a rough ride when they find out what it means.

Exactly. The media is largely to blame for this because they have been derelict in their duty to explain what the hell has been going on in this country for years because they were terrified of being labeled "biased" by the right wing. It's true people have these right wing media bubbles but average people that just watch the news have no clue what is about to go down. The media didn't even begin to explain what a Trump administration would be like, let alone what Congress has been up to for Obama's entire administration. Those assholes are going to learn how "both sides are the same" both sides really are after Obama and now Trump.

People that voted for Trump will not be spared, although others, minorities specifically, will have it much worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

negromancer posted:

Right. This whole "black fears are the same as white right-winger fears" is loving disgusting.

It was inevitable when the oppressors adopted the language of the oppressed. The idiot false equivalency is staggering. Blue lives matter and all that.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Jesus christ. No, Trump's not REALLY racist...
Kansas Secretary of State Kris Kobach has been asked to join President-elect Donald Trump’s transition team.

quote:

Kris Kobach was the architect of the most racist law in modern American history. SB 1070 passed in Arizona in 2010. What did it mean? If you have brown skin or an accent, police had a right to stop you, detain you and demand you prove your citizenship.

Arizona’s S.B. 1070 compels police to ask for papers from anyone they have a reasonable suspicion of being without status. Under this law any person of color, or anyone with a foreign accent, can be required to prove their status and be jailed—regardless of whether they are a citizen or an immigrant—until they can do so. The Supreme Court indicated that prolonged detention would be impermissible, but people’s rights will likely be violated before that limitation can be enforced.

By targeting certain groups of people living within the state, the Arizona law amounts to an ethnically divisive and deeply hostile social policy. It raises the specter of states treating people differently based solely on their appearance rather than on their actions. Every person in Arizona and states that pass S.B. 1070-like legislation will be required to carry proof of their legal status at all times or face the possibility of being detained. In practice it will be people of color that bear the brunt of these policies.

It was nicknamed the “Papers Please” law and thanks to Kris Kobach and the right-wing ALEC (American Legislative Exchange Council), two dozen copycat bills quickly spread to other conservative states. Can you imagine walking down the street and police having the power to stop you and your children and throw you in jail on the suspicion alone that maybe you don’t belong? Because you have brown skin or an accent? Terrifying, right?

What if I told you that same man, Kris Kobach, spoke to a group of White Nationalists just last year?

On Oct. 25, Kansas Secretary of State Kris Kobach was a featured speaker at a “writers' workshop” put on by the white nationalist The Social Contract Press (TSCP), according to a report from the Center for New Community. For an elected official, this is a problem.
On the plus side Brownback may finally vacate Kansas to be made agriculture secretary so gg Kansas, good luck on getting those two shitheads out of your state, shame for the rest of us.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

If you try to continue to include minority issues but urban centers are systematically denied voting opportunities it would be wasted effort, this is the darkest timeline I have thought about in my young life.

The existential understanding that the current government elect sees me as an unperson and wants to restrict my rights because I'm a threat to power is something that's always been in the back of my mind but these last few days have finally clicked it in.

Shadokin
Mar 6, 2004
Ive seen a lot of people saying that white people are too blame for Trump and its not what did it. Democrats or people who vote Democrat didnt show up at the polls. She got over 5 million less votes then Obama on 2012 and over 9 million less then Obama in 2008.

Trump got over a million less votes then Romney in 2012 and over 5 thousand less votes then Mccain in 2008.

People need to stop lashing out and instead look to the Democrats and figure out why they loss so many people voting compared to 2012 and 2008. Were they convinced that Hillary was gonna win in a landslide or so pissed off about what they did to Bernie that they didnt vote too show frustration?

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Mister Adequate posted:

No, that's the short term answer, because it preserves your life against aggression in the moment.

I don't understand how having a gun is going to protect anyone from police brutality in literally any scenario. I just don't.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

:lol:

You don't actually believe that right? The bills are already written, they've been trying to pass them for ages and getting shot down in the senate/vetoed. They can pass as much as the want since they control the whole federal government.

I believe it the way I believe in Santa Claus, yes.

Oceanlife
Oct 6, 2008

Haha, nice one Punchy

Deified Data posted:

I encourage every black person in America to buy a gun if only to see the NRA squirm over how to respond to it.

I'm in the NRA and we have quite a few black members, they are just as well received as any white member. We welcome anyone of any race to be educated on safe and responsible gun ownership.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Mendrian posted:

Man I am glad the American legislation process is so slow and convoluted. Just looking at those possible staff picks and you'd think we'd have creationism in schools, gay conversion therapy and nation-wide oil drilling inside of a month to say nothing of carding brown people to make sure they're citizens.

Really hoping Republicans manage to stay on the anti-federal bandwagon because if not holy gently caress.

it's not convoluted at all, literally the only thing standing between you and the things you describe was Obama's veto. on January 20 all that stuff will become law in very short order

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Shadokin posted:

Ive seen a lot of people saying that white people are too blame for Trump and its not what did it. Democrats or people who vote Democrat didnt show up at the polls. She got over 5 million less votes then Obama on 2012 and over 9 million less then Obama in 2008.

Trump got over a million less votes then Romney in 2012 and over 5 thousand less votes then Mccain in 2008.

People need to stop lashing out and instead look to the Democrats and figure out why they loss so many people voting compared to 2012 and 2008. Were they convinced that Hillary was gonna win in a landslide or so pissed off about what they did to Bernie that they didnt vote too show frustration?

No, white people did this. Stop ignoring the 50+ million terrible loving white people in order to tut tut people who couldn't vote due to voter suppression.

White progressives looking to blame everyone else instead of their poo poo relatives and friends they refused to confront.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/xx_facto...sh_all_dt_fb_ru

quote:

Of course, the biggest and saddest reason white women chose Trump over Clinton is simple: racism. Trump tried to pit straight white men against everyone else—women, people of color, people in the LGBTQ community, immigrants—and white women decided they didn’t want to vote on the side of “everyone else.” They wanted to vote on the side of white men. White women decided that defending their position of power as white people was more important than defending their reproductive rights, their sexual autonomy, their access to health care, family leave, and child care. White women bought into Trump’s lies about immigrant rapists and decided they’d rather have the respect of their angry white fathers, brothers, and husbands than the respect of literally everyone else in the world.

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

I mean boning, the wild mambo, the hunka chunka

negromancer posted:

Right. This whole "black fears are the same as white right-winger fears" is loving disgusting.

It operates on the exact same brand of paranoid delusion and power fantasy. It is useful only as a thing to give you a feeling of control at a time when you have none. But, there's a real human cost to that, and it could be that of yourself or those you care about.

Bad Decision Dino
Aug 3, 2010

We'll invade Russia.

Shadokin posted:

First they came for the minorities, and I wrote Harambe on my ballot-
Because I disagreed with Hillary Clinton's economic policies and the way she stores her emails.

(Yeah I am really regretting my earlier posts in this thread.)

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Oceanlife posted:

I'm in the NRA and we have quite a few black members, they are just as well received as any white member. We welcome anyone of any race to be educated on safe and responsible gun ownership.

lololol

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Tatsuta Age posted:

I don't understand how having a gun is going to protect anyone from police brutality in literally any scenario. I just don't.

Create a new Underground Railroad for black people where they can hide from the state pursuing them, and when the police try to kill them and black people successfully defend themselves, we get them the gently caress out of the country and somewhere else.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

negromancer posted:

No, white people did this. Stop ignoring the 50+ million terrible loving white people in order to tut tut people who couldn't vote due to voter suppression.

White progressives looking to blame everyone else instead of their poo poo relatives and friends they refused to confront.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/xx_facto...sh_all_dt_fb_ru

Don't forget white liberals willing to sell out minorities and women because Hillary didn't excite them. But of course it's her fault they enabled Trump.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Oceanlife posted:

There is a difference between an armed black person and armed black people. History shows they get antsy when brown people arm up.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

icantfindaname posted:

it's not convoluted at all, literally the only thing standing between you and the things you describe was Obama's veto. on January 20 all that stuff will become law in very short order
My only hope is that the Republicans keep the veto in the Senate because even they know that the House is full of crazier than a shithouse rat Tea Partiers and will need SOME check on them that doesn't rely on them to look like they're bucking the party and can scapegoat those darn Dems all they want for saving the country from their baser elements.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Guns in the hands of the proletariat are good.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Oceanlife posted:

I'm sure you guys would welcome live practice targets.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Pollyanna posted:

Listen, the old system of Republicans vs. Democrats being the driving force behind politics in our country has revealed itself to be bullshit. The fact is, both urban and rural, liberal and conservative voters are being hosed over by the establishment. They're playing us against each other to their own benefit. We need to realize that we're divided horizontally (-), not vertically (|), and that things are just never going to be the same now.

"Both parties are exactly the same" is exactly as loving moronic today as it was before the election.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
I'm genuinely disappointed that fishmech got perma'd

Edit:

Panzeh posted:

Guns in the hands of the proletariat are good.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Squashing Machine posted:

It operates on the exact same brand of paranoid delusion and power fantasy. It is useful only as a thing to give you a feeling of control at a time when you have none. But, there's a real human cost to that, and it could be that of yourself or those you care about.

LOL so being afraid that white people are going to go back to the thing they've explicitly said they wanted to go back to, which led to an untold amount of violence against minorities is a "paranoid delusion".

Please shut the gently caress up. You're a disgusting racist and you should never have opinions on the black community or what minorities face.

Acid Haze
Feb 16, 2009

:parrot:
Listen, the Donald was who we thought he was. He's what we thought he was.

We went through the campaign; who the hell has a pussy grabbin' tape just layin' around like it's bullpoo poo?

We dealt with the emails and he's a serial sexual predator - Donald Trump is who we THOUGHT he was!

An' that's why we had the drat election!

Now- *hits podium* - if you wanna CROWN his rear end, CROWN EM'!

But HE IS WHO WE THOUGHT HE WAS!

An' we let 'em off the hook!

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Tatsuta Age posted:

Having a gun on you probably isn't, having a bunch of dudes with guns around you on your side? Yeah, that will help. Again, this is what the black panthers did: they policed their communities and protected them as best they could and police brutality actually did lower in those areas.

Or to put it more succinctly: "Without a gun and a badge, what do ya got? A sucker in a uniform waitin' to get shot"

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

chumbler posted:

Don't forget white liberals willing to sell out minorities and women because Hillary didn't excite them. But of course it's her fault they enabled Trump.

You know a decent candidate can energise the base but I'm sure democrats will still go after bernie supporters or some poo poo and wont't learn anything in 2018 or 2020.

Monaghan fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Nov 10, 2016

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Shadokin posted:

alternatively, the problem might be that Dem voters only care about Obama and not the party as a whole which is a much worse problem to solve

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Oceanlife posted:

Huh, I think you'll find a few "outliers" in the gun community if black gun ownership starts skyrocketing.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

negromancer posted:

LOL so being afraid that white people are going to go back to the thing they've explicitly said they wanted to go back to, which led to an untold amount of violence against minorities is a "paranoid delusion".

Please shut the gently caress up. You're a disgusting racist and you should never have opinions on the black community or what minorities face.

You seriously come off like a crazy person. Please do not buy a gun for the love of god.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

negromancer posted:

And you're a paranoid fanatic who throws accusations essentially at random and selectively dismisses real evidence in favor of something that makes you feel good. Guns will not save you.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Just think: if Trump goes two terms, a generation of little girls get to grow up with a president who has said, on record, that he doesn't think a woman can be attractive if she has small breasts. Or if she's fat. :smith:

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

https://www.thetrace.org/2016/07/nra-black-gun-owners-philando-castile/

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

steinrokkan posted:

Huh, I think you'll find a few "outliers" in the gun community if black gun ownership starts skyrocketing.

Remember when the Yesmen made those ads about giving guns to disadvantages neighborhoods because everybody needs safety? The NRA responded with a desperate litigation campaign that shut down 40,000 websites.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Terrific Accident posted:

You seriously come off like a crazy person. Please do not buy a gun for the love of god.

And this, folks, is an example of racism.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

negromancer posted:

They won't and everyone knows it.

They support states rights when it benefits them, and vice versa. They'll become the fed.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

HorseRenoir posted:

alternatively, the problem might be that Dem voters only care about Obama and not the party as a whole which is a much worse problem to solve

This is 100% the problem when you look at down ballot and state voting since Bill Clinton. The Democrats have been losing elections for years if you don't count 2008 and somehow they thought the Republicans were dying?

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE
Reminder that the pacifist approach like wearing a shirt (Lebron) and kneeling (Kaepernick) was seen as a direct attack on the white race by millions of Americans.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Terrific Accident posted:

I think he has reason to feel scared. I don't agree with him that gun ownership will make that any better.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Monaghan posted:

You know a decent candidate can energise the base but I'm sure democrats will still go after bernie supporters or some poo poo and wont't learn anything in 2018 or 2020.

drat right they should go after Bernie supporters who voted Trump or decided not to vote for their own smug self satisfaction. And they need to learn other lessons. These are not mutually exclusive.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
in 49 states, "a trans woman gave me a boner and i thought i was gay" is a valid defense for murdering them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

Doctor Butts posted:

I think he has reason to feel scared. I don't agree with him that gun ownership will make that any better.

I've never said he doesn't have a reason to feel scared. I think that fear is leading him down a path that demonstrably produces more death. The "paranoia" I speak to is his idea that a gun will allow him to stop a hate crime in progress, in the same way someone would say it would allow them to stop a mass shooting. Both are inadequate in my eyes.

• Locked thread