Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Scent of Worf posted:

Reminder that the pacifist approach like wearing a shirt (Lebron) and kneeling (Kaepernick) was seen as a direct attack on the white race by millions of Americans.

A dead body is the only acceptable form of protest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

Radish posted:

This is 100% the problem when you look at down ballot and state voting since Bill Clinton. The Democrats have been losing elections for years if you don't count 2008 and somehow they thought the Republicans were dying?

democrats have won the popular vote in 6 out of past 7 presidential elections

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
How soon before people start doing studies on voter suppression and disenfranchisement?

Cause I'd read that in states that enacted it that it worked.

So it maybe a co.bination of suppression and people not getting out to vote

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Scent of Worf posted:

Reminder that the pacifist approach like wearing a shirt (Lebron) and kneeling (Kaepernick) was seen as a direct attack on the white race by millions of Americans.

I think of this when earlier posters in this thread were crying about how Hillary was vilifying all white people which is why she lost. Literally anything that criticizes white privilege or calls attention to the unfair treatment of minorities is interpreted as a slanderous attack.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

When high school kids cut school yesterday to protest the election people got upset about that too.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

Instant Sunrise posted:

The popular vote does not decide the president. The democrats also won the popular vote during the 2014 midterms. America is not a democracy.

The republicans are overwhelmingly in control of the government at every level.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Hollismason posted:

How soon before people start doing studies on voter suppression and disenfranchisement?

Cause I'd read that in states that enacted it that it worked.

So it maybe a co.bination of suppression and people not getting out to vote

Man as much as I'd like to blame suppression, I'm not sure that we'll ever know one way or the other. I doubt it was a big enough effect.

I think Democrats just didn't show up.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Squashing Machine posted:

And you're a paranoid fanatic who throws accusations essentially at random and selectively dismisses real evidence in favor of something that makes you feel good. Guns will not save you.

This is objectively wrong, as he pointed out Re: The Black Panthers. Individuals absolutely are less safe, but in a community with armed men looking out for one another, it absolutely makes police proceed with caution.

Shadokin
Mar 6, 2004

negromancer posted:

No, blah blah blah.

I voted for Hillary. 9 million less democrat votes then 2008. 5 million less then 2012. Trump got less votes then John god drat McCain and people are trying to blame a whole race of people for his winning instead of the real problem that Democrat voters did not show up too the pole.

The only people too blame are the people who decided it was a lock so they didnt vote and the people who protested the party's handling of Bernie by not voting. No one else. They wanted to protest and that came at a price. That price is President Trump.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE

Doctor Butts posted:

Man as much as I'd like to blame suppression, I'm not sure that we'll ever know one way or the other. I doubt it was a big enough effect.

I'm quite sure voter suppression had a probably measurable effect but yeah, dems just didn't show. Suppression didn't take a 10% chunk off 2012's total

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Instant Sunrise posted:

And I can't recall the specifics off the top of my head, but gerrymandering in the House has ensured GOP majorities, or larger GOP margins than otherwise, more than a couple of times.

Sure, the GOP wouldn't be going away anytime soon, they'd still control state houses and governorships and stuff, but if things were more reflective of voters they would be vastly more powerful than they have been.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Instant Sunrise posted:

Yeah but they've been doing badly in states and congress and the electoral college which sadly is what matters. Some of that is due to gerrymandering but the fact is they have been hemorrhaging seats and state houses. The popular vote is a good indication that the country as a whole rejects the Republicans (like how there are more votes for Democrats in congress but they still lose seats) however the DNC has been abandoning areas which has allowed the GOP to set up shop. Winning the popular vote is not useful if the votes for them are run up in California and New England.

The GOP worked to set up the gerrymandering by taking over states. It's bad but it worked.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Nov 10, 2016

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Talmonis posted:

This is objectively wrong, as he pointed out Re: The Black Panthers. Individuals absolutely are less safe, but in a community with armed men looking out for one another, it absolutely makes police proceed with caution.

While I don't disagree, cops generally weren't rolling around with 21st century military firepower back then, either.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Shadokin posted:

I voted for Hillary. 9 million less democrat votes then 2008. 5 million less then 2012. Trump got less votes then John god drat McCain and people are trying to blame a whole race of people for his winning instead of the real problem that Democrat voters did not show up too the pole.

The only people too blame are the people who decided it was a lock so they didnt vote and the people who protested the party's handling of Bernie by not voting. No one else. They wanted to protest and that came at a price. That price is President Trump.

Also the 59,769,452 people who voted for Trump. I think they may have played a part as well.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Doctor Butts posted:

Turns out a lot of democrats don't give a poo poo about trying to maintain social progress.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Shadokin posted:

I'm way angrier towards white Dems than I am towards Trump voters. At least the Trump voters got what they wanted, white Dems sold me down the river for loving nothing. thanks assholes

Bad Decision Dino
Aug 3, 2010

We'll invade Russia.

Shadokin posted:

The point is that not showing up to make sure orange clown Hitler wasn't ellected because the Hillary didn't appeal that much to you is lovely.

Shadokin
Mar 6, 2004

Mister Adequate posted:

Also the 59,769,452 people who voted for Trump. I think they may have played a part as well.

Over 1 million less Republican votes the 2012. Little over 5000 less then 2008. Democrats over 9 million votes since 2008.

Why? Why did so many people who votes democrat in previous 8 years not voting this year? Republicans lost votes too but no where near the scale of Democrats. THAT is the problem. That is what needs answered.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Shadokin posted:

The only people to blame are Trump voters

If they didn't vote for Trump, he wouldn't be president-elect

PKJC
May 7, 2009

Scent of Worf posted:

Relevant Bors

This isn't hyperbole, there are many many examples of white people who went frothing at the mouth over quietly kneeling during the anthem. Not giving the finger towards the flag, not even singing along poorly, just being quiet and doing a thing other than putting a hand over his heart because he personally felt it was a kind of ritual he as a person needed to do to express in some small way his disappointment in a racist system. He didn't even make a point of why he was doing it until asked. But no, as white people we should all agree we deserve another couple centuries of not having our fee-fees hurt by having the lovely behavior us and/or others like us have let slide.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE

HorseRenoir posted:

I'm way angrier towards white Dems than I am towards Trump voters. At least the Trump voters got what they wanted, white Dems sold me down the river for loving nothing. thanks assholes

The democratic party from top to bottom is responsible for this. They're bad at winning elections, the only reason we've had the presidency for these eight years is 1) Bush was Bush and 2) Obama's generationally unique charisma and savvy. The first step in fixing the problems we just elected is a complete shake down of the DNC

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

I mean boning, the wild mambo, the hunka chunka

Talmonis posted:

And the police is far more militarized and dangerous than it was then. We won't topple them with firepower. A mass arming would only produce a police force that is even more copacetic to proactive use of force than it is now, among the myriad costs that would incur at home.

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings

Tatsuta Age posted:

While I don't disagree, cops generally weren't rolling around with 21st century military firepower back then, either.

Balko's assertion is that the Texas clocktower shooter was probably the starting line for police militarization.

And the shooter? A white guy.

Racism!

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Yeah gently caress those guys for voting for their own best interests.

Bhaal
Jul 13, 2001
I ain't going down alone
Dr. Infant, MD

Mendrian posted:

Man I am glad the American legislation process is so slow and convoluted. Just looking at those possible staff picks and you'd think we'd have creationism in schools, gay conversion therapy and nation-wide oil drilling inside of a month to say nothing of carding brown people to make sure they're citizens.

Really hoping Republicans manage to stay on the anti-federal bandwagon because if not holy gently caress.
Yeah, have a seat I have some bad news for you. They have a 4 year window to pass/repeal stuff that they could only dream of getting through with obama in office or a dem senate majority. If we're lucky we'll only lose about a decade of legaslative progress

MAGA always parsed to me as a distilled catchphrase for regressive politics

Bhaal fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Nov 10, 2016

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Do not try to absolve people who didn't want Trump but didn't vote to keep him out of office. They are just as much to blame.

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

I mean boning, the wild mambo, the hunka chunka

chumbler posted:

Do not try to absolve people who didn't want Trump but didn't vote to keep him out of office. They are just as much to blame.

The blame rests with the DNC and the Clinton campaign, who failed hilariously at doing the barest of work to get those people out to the polls.

Shadokin
Mar 6, 2004
Again, Democrats did not show up. That is 100% the reason Trump is President.

Of the eligible voters only 56% turned out too vote. You guys want things too change? Convince people to vote, that there vote does matter. Otherwise you will end up with more states like WI and PA. Texas will never go blue without more people voting. People start believing there state is locked down and choose not to vote and we will end up having California go red before Texas goes blue.

Thats okay though, continue to blame white people and rage out. That clearly is the answer.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

sit on my Facebook posted:

The democratic party from top to bottom is responsible for this. They're bad at winning elections, the only reason we've had the presidency for these eight years is 1) Bush was Bush and 2) Obama's generationally unique charisma and savvy. The first step in fixing the problems we just elected is a complete shake down of the DNC

gently caress this. don't pretend like white dem voters had no agency in any of this. they knew what was at stake and what would happen to minorities if trump got elected, and they just didn't care. that's it.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Shadokin posted:

Over 1 million less Republican votes the 2012. Little over 5000 less then 2008. Democrats over 9 million votes since 2008.

Why? Why did so many people who votes democrat in previous 8 years not voting this year? Republicans lost votes too but no where near the scale of Democrats. THAT is the problem. That is what needs answered.

Oh I agree, but frankly? I think the answer is simple rank misogyny, and so do 9/10s of the women I know personally. People suddenly found that concerns about corruption and collusion were of the utmost loving importance when it was Clinton on the ballot, whereas anyone else can be far worse and have it overlooked.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

And the police is far more militarized and dangerous than it was then. We won't topple them with firepower. A mass arming would only produce a police force that is even more copacetic to proactive use of force than it is now, among the myriad costs that would incur at home.

It's not about toppling them. It never was. The very state of being able to defend yourself, without further aggressive action, acts as a deterrant. It works right this very moment with armed white men who have threatened or killed police. The police force is militarized, but doesn't attack neighborhoods at a time, as that would get even a complacent populace pissed enough to do something. They rely on the pastiche of "no angel" or "he was comin' right for me!" The only way it would get that bad is if they walled themselves off like MOVE did back in the 70's. The light of day and the threat of film footage will save people's lives.

RasperFat
Jul 11, 2006

Uncertainty is inherently unsustainable. Eventually, everything either is or isn't.
L

Bad Decision Dino posted:

The point is that not showing up to make sure orange clown Hitler wasn't ellected because the Hillary didn't appeal that much to you is lovely.

It's lovely but is anyone surprised?

In an election with a massive populist slant, we circled the wagons and nominated the embodiment of the establishment with an insane amount of unfavorable baggage.

It doesn't matter that it was mostly bullshit baggage, she was historically unpopular.

Her ability to clinch the nomination was likely never a sign of voter support so much as being the candidate out front and center by the DNC and the media.

It doesn't matter that the converse was mostly negative. Trump's primary coverage was awful but the lopsided focus on him let him take the nom.

We circled wagons pretty quickly here and are blaming everyone but ourselves.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

Mister Adequate posted:

Oh I agree, but frankly? I think the answer is simple rank misogyny, and so do 9/10s of the women I know personally. People suddenly found that concerns about corruption and collusion were of the utmost loving importance when it was Clinton on the ballot, whereas anyone else can be far worse and have it overlooked.

Out of the "ten women you know", statistically, somewhere between 4 and 6 of them voted for Trump, by the by.

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE
https://twitter.com/joyce_karam/status/796799743376687104

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Shadokin posted:

Again, Democrats did not show up. That is 100% the reason Trump is President.

Of the eligible voters only 56% turned out too vote. You guys want things too change? Convince people to vote, that there vote does matter. Otherwise you will end up with more states like WI and PA. Texas will never go blue without more people voting. People start believing there state is locked down and choose not to vote and we will end up having California go red before Texas goes blue.

Thats okay though, continue to blame white people and rage out. That clearly is the answer.

I felt like an annoying broken record telling everyone I encountered for weeks and weeks "make sure to go vote!" and I never once said or implied who for. Numbers like those make me realize I, and many Americans, were not NEARLY annoying enough about this.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

HorseRenoir posted:

gently caress this. don't pretend like white dem voters had no agency in any of this. they knew what was at stake and what would happen to minorities if trump got elected, and they just didn't care. that's it.

The media in general totally ignoring this aspect of the post election possibilities, especially after hate crimes increasing post Brexit was criminal. Lots of people in the liberal media joking it up about Trump right before he gets elected and woops there's the kkk on a bridge. People that sat this out should be ashamed.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Nov 10, 2016

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

sit on my Facebook posted:

I'm quite sure voter suppression had a probably measurable effect but yeah, dems just didn't show. Suppression didn't take a 10% chunk off 2012's total

Dems didn't show because the people that usually voted D in the "lock" states were not supported or spoken to by Hillary and the DNC. That's what let Trump take them over.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

The blame rests with the DNC and the Clinton campaign, who failed hilariously at doing the barest of work to get those people out to the polls.

Yes, nonviters bear no responsibility at all. Clearly it is the party's fault.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

Can't wait to see the Art of the Deal on this one!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Tatsuta Age posted:

Out of the "ten women you know", statistically, somewhere between 4 and 6 of them voted for Trump, by the by.

That's not how statistics work with a self selected group.

• Locked thread