Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Tiggum posted:

That's good value if you need a whole lot of mice for some reason.

Dammit, there's an old magazine ad from a scientific journal that would go perfectly right here.

It's for an homogenizer (read: science blender) that goes "Can homogenize an entire rat in less than a minute!" but I can't find the drat thing.

EDIT: And how about some top of page content for this lovely post-Trump world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Still beats apple maps.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Gromit posted:

For scuba diving around here they charge $5-$10 for a tank refill of air, which weighs about 4 or 5 pounds I guess. But I suppose you're renting the compressor.

Still, I can't just pay you for the electricity? Surely that isn't 5-10 dollars. A whole days worth maybe, but not the time it takes for a tank.

Even maintaining your equipment, surely that's too much.

We can work something out.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Man. This guy wasn't lying:

A Helluva Lot of Mice by Phanatic, on Flickr

Kei Technical
Sep 20, 2011

Gorilla Salad posted:

Dammit, there's an old magazine ad from a scientific journal that would go perfectly right here.

It's for an homogenizer (read: science blender) that goes "Can homogenize an entire rat in less than a minute!" but I can't find the drat thing.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Phanatic posted:

Man. This guy wasn't lying:

A Helluva Lot of Mice by Phanatic, on Flickr

That's an Arrested Development quote.

RJWaters2
Dec 16, 2011

It was not not not so great
who said anything bad about america

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Thank you! For some reason I was sure the ad had a picture of a mouse in it too and just looked right past it in GIS.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Sponge Baathist posted:

Sanders Hindsight 2020

2024 theres no way trump pulls a bush sr and raises taxes.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

https://twitter.com/TheOnion/status/796464252445921282

snucky
Sep 11, 2001

a closed mouth gathers no foot.

that is some meta hosed up jokes. the onion owns

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Sebastian Flyte posted:

I have now realised that I do not know what is the actual word for those bar things you put on conveyor belts in supermarkets. I have never known that it was a word I lacked in my vocabulary until now. But now I need that word in my life. Surely there must be an industry term, an actual name for them that is something else than "those bar things."

Toblerone.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

"Hey, anyone see where T-1000 went?"

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Gorilla Salad posted:

As someone with experience in this (and having used a homogenizing instrument called a Sonic Dismemberator), I must say :stare:

root beer has a new favorite as of 14:42 on Nov 10, 2016

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
What is the use of turning a mouse into homogeneous pink slime, anyway?

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

RyokoTK posted:

Ummm, have you never eaten at McDonalds?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

RyokoTK posted:

Post workout smoothie.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Rat soup is a staple in our post trumpian world.
And we cant let any of the rat go to waste

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

porktree posted:

Ummm, have you never eaten at McDonalds?

I don't eat the McNuggets, no.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

RyokoTK posted:

The serious answer is that the speed at which the machine can homogenize a mouse is just a dramatic way of advertising how effective it is at homogenizing a presumably non-mouse sample.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

RyokoTK posted:

Serious post, any experiment where you might need to, for example, find out the half-life of a drug in a living system. Just give it to mice at the same time, then liquefy them at different times and plot that poo poo.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Bertrand Hustle posted:

The serious answer is that the speed at which the machine can homogenize a mouse is just a dramatic way of advertising how effective it is at homogenizing a presumably non-mouse sample.

Where selling points include tissue disruption and reduced foaming

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort

Glazier posted:

Serious post, any experiment where you might need to, for example, find out the half-life of a drug in a living system. Just give it to mice at the same time, then liquefy them at different times and plot that poo poo.

Sick fucks, leave the mice alone! Experiment on humans or something...

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
You can't make a science without liquefying a few mice okay

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
The human-sized homogenizers just aren't very cost-effective.

Accident Underwater
Oct 21, 2005

You look like a star!

Titus Sardonicus posted:

As someone with experience in this (and having used a homogenizing instrument called a Sonic Dismemberator), I must say :stare:

I guess if it'd work for a hedgehog it'd work for a mouse

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

This is the strangest combination of messaging I've ever seen:

MAKE WAY FOR THE SAMSUNG SWAT TANK :black101:

But we care :allears:

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Data Graham posted:

Enforcing those recalls on the remaining 15%.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

GenericOverusedName posted:

You can't make a science without liquefying a few mice okay

Nice, the homogenizer is used to make a science omelet.

Glazier posted:

Thanks!

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

RealTalk: I don't know about homogenizing entire mice, but I've homogenized parts of rodent brains (primarily the amygdala and hippocampus) for use in immunoassays to determine levels of certain proteins (inflammatory cytokines, adrenergic receptors, among other things) following repeated exposure to stress, to determine if there are associations between these proteins and behavioral changes like those in anxiety and depression. A guy working in the lab next door to mine often uses our homogenizer in his Parkinson's research.

JD-Smith
Apr 30, 2009

YOU WILL OBEY.

Meowster Steal Yo Girl.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

Data Graham posted:

The caring will continue until morale improves!

Bart Fargo
Mar 24, 2005

Il Raggio Infernale

Data Graham posted:

Where selling points include tissue disruption and reduced foaming

It was the idea that "foaming" was a problem that struck me the most out of that whole ad. It's just not a criteria I've ever had to apply to anything before.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Data Graham posted:

Ministry of Care produced 52,000 positive emotions this months.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Titus Sardonicus posted:

RealTalk: I don't know about homogenizing entire mice, but I've homogenized parts of rodent brains (primarily the amygdala and hippocampus) for use in immunoassays to determine levels of certain proteins (inflammatory cytokines, adrenergic receptors, among other things) following repeated exposure to stress, to determine if there are associations between these proteins and behavioral changes like those in anxiety and depression. A guy working in the lab next door to mine often uses our homogenizer in his Parkinson's research.

I find that undergoing homogenization is often more stressful upon the man mouse than the lady mouse

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Move past, and squeal.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Titus Sardonicus posted:

A guy working in the lab next door to mine often uses our homogenizer in his Parkinson's research.

"The Parkinson's patient is making good headway, but the homogenizer is still a better method of mixing up mice bits." *checks box on clipboard*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Bart Fargo posted:

It was the idea that "foaming" was a problem that struck me the most out of that whole ad. It's just not a criteria I've ever had to apply to anything before.

Realtalk 2: when you're putting liquefied mouse organs on a petri plate, foam can affect the volume you're plating and gently caress up your experiment. Low foam homogenization is great.

• Locked thread