Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

Baka-nin posted:

Your confusing official power with actual power. The VP like the British royal family has no official ties to policy but just like the crown he has a lot of access to everyone who does so he is actually a person capable of influencing decision making. The First lady doesn't have any power either but Republicans went ballistic over Hillary Clinton having influence over her husband. And why so many were worried about the power of Dick Cheney under Bush.

Also Vice Presidents are put in charge of initiatives all the time, even Dan Quayle got put in charge of space research, and just look at all the stuff Biden's been influential on https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Biden#Vice_Presidency_.282009-present.29

They get put in charge of initiatives that the president is interested in pursuing, not their own and they don't drive policy. They execute the president's will, nothing more.

If you all want to screech impotently about how this is the end of the world and how they're going to recriminalize sodomy as some sort of cathartic coping mechanism, feel free, but I think we're actually the minority group with the least to fear from Trump. Unless you happen to be latino and gay or arab and gay, then I understand perfectly and empathize with your justified anxiety.

I'm not saying we're going to get away scott free from this, but even the nomination of a scalia like justice doesn't shift the balance from what the court decided in Obergefell. If another of the Justices who voted in the majority in Obergefell checks out then is the time to start worrying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Pikavangelist posted:

Short version: there used to be a law that, among other things, required jurisdictions with a history of racial discrimination to get federal approval before they could make changes to how they managed elections; a practice that was called "preclearance". The formula used to determine what jurisdictions had to go through the preclearance process was struck down by the Supreme Court in the 2013 ruling Shelby County v. Holder, freeing states with Republican legislatures to do a lot of stuff that, although it doesn't EXPLICITLY stop PoC from voting, makes it a whole lot harder than it would have been otherwise. (North Carolina is probably the most blatant example of this practice, but they're by no means the only state to do so.)

EDIT: Short version of the above two posts, I apparently mean.

These things they do are still in violation of the VRA, but without pre-clearance the courts have to sort it out on the back end and you end up loving over a lot of voters in the process.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

A Pale Horse posted:

They get put in charge of initiatives that the president is interested in pursuing, not their own and they don't drive policy. They execute the president's will, nothing more.

If you all want to screech impotently about how this is the end of the world and how they're going to recriminalize sodomy as some sort of cathartic coping mechanism, feel free, but I think we're actually the minority group with the least to fear from Trump. Unless you happen to be latino and gay or arab and gay, then I understand perfectly and empathize with your justified anxiety.

I'm not saying we're going to get away scott free from this, but even the nomination of a scalia like justice doesn't shift the balance from what the court decided in Obergefell. If another of the Justices who voted in the majority in Obergefell checks out then is the time to start worrying.

We've been proven wrong many times this election season. We will be proven wrong again. I'm not willing to take ay more chances. Pence is vile and I will not stand for him being in any position of power.

We are in serious trouble here. Not just LGBT people, but women who will have their rights and opportunities compromised, immigrants who are singled out and targeted for deportation, people of color who are blamed and regularly abused, and most bewildering of all - the lower class rural voter, who is having the wool pulled over their eyes by the establishment that's trying to shift the blame onto minorities in an effort to keep them placated.

We are in serious trouble here, and the worst part is, it was inevitable.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
If you're not activating yourself to fight for your rights or protect yourself, I'm not going to say you're part of the problem but you're not helping either.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I want to fight. I just don't know how, yet.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Pollyanna posted:

Get involved in politics of all kinds in your area to try and make things better. It'll take a lot of work but it can be done.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

Talk to people. Be out. poo poo I just talked about flat out asking my doctor if she would be a bigoted piece of poo poo if push came to shove. She was a little horrified but I made my point.

Alas this got lost in an intellectually bankrupt argument about the role of the VP.

Edit: and it was intellectually bankrupt because peeps were ignoring the existence of Dick Cheney.

Nostalgia4Infinity fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Nov 10, 2016

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
And in some cases you may want to consider leaving where you are for a more friendly environment , if I can't get out of the country I'm going to try for a move to maybe Vermont.

It just depends how bad things get , nowhere may be safe though.

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Talk to people. Be out. poo poo I just talked about flat out asking my doctor if she would be a bigoted piece of poo poo if push came to shove. She was a little horrified but I made my point.

Alas this got lost in an intellectually bankrupt argument about the role of the VP.

Edit: and it was intellectually bankrupt because peeps were ignoring the existence of Dick Cheney.

I'm sorry to distract from your attention seeking by attempting to reassure people that maybe the sky isn't falling.

Dick Cheney is in no way analogous to Mike Pence. Dick Cheney was the architect of W's campaign and election, he was always running poo poo from the beginning. Mike Pence was the last on a long list of candidates that Trump picked to shore up evangelical support. They barely loving speak to each other which is evidenced by them having radically different positions on multiple issues during the campaign and by Donald Trump saying "We haven't spoken" when asked about some answer Pence gave during the VP debate, then disagreeing with him completely. Maybe you shouldn't throw stones about intellectual bankruptcy hmmm?

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Thanks that made me feel a little better

I just feel like Trump wouldnt have thought about the LGBT and would just go to Pence for it.
At the beginning of the election In had Trump pegged wrong on queer affairs. I assumed he would think of them purely in a money standpoint. He said he loves Jews because there good bankers, with that logic he would have probably worked with a lot of gay hairdressers or television producers while working tv stuff like the Beauty Pagents and the Apprentice. I was thinking he would condemn NC's bathroom bill because of all the buisineses leaving the state but he did end up supporting it briefly, or just talking out his rear end with it while campaigning.

My only safety fantasy would be big buisnesses like Disney or Google threatening to pull out if Trump Administration starts attacking Queer rights. There not just going to retreat back, right?

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Your all not alone.

I love you all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIVOjsPrnOs

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Nov 10, 2016

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

A Pale Horse posted:

A Pale Horse posted:

I'm sorry to distract from your attention seeking by attempting to reassure people that maybe the sky isn't falling.

Dick Cheney is in no way analogous to Mike Pence. Dick Cheney was the architect of W's campaign and election, he was always running poo poo from the beginning. Mike Pence was the last on a long list of candidates that Trump picked to shore up evangelical support. They barely loving speak to each other which is evidenced by them having radically different positions on multiple issues during the campaign and by Donald Trump saying "We haven't spoken" when asked about some answer Pence gave during the VP debate, then disagreeing with him completely. Maybe you shouldn't throw stones about intellectual bankruptcy hmmm?

So, what your saying is the Vice President is a toothless puppet, except for when they aren't? And we can already tell Pence is the former because he's publicly disagreed with the President elect, and already made it clear that he speaks on issues independently of his boss. And Pence doesn't matter because he was only there to secure the support of a the evangelicals, but if the VP is as meaningless as you think why would that work? If Trump had picked a Gay VP or a Mexican-American do you think he'd also have their demographics in the bag with such an empty gesture?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Within 2 year of now we will have a Federal Religious Freedom bill.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

We have no idea what Trump will do, only what he's said. The important thing is that the Republicans are about to control every branch of government and are eager to rollback all of Obama's policies they can and then begin implementing their insane party platform.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

Combed Thunderclap posted:

We have no idea what Trump will do, only what he's said. The important thing is that the Republicans are about to control every branch of government and are eager to rollback all of Obama's policies they can and then begin implementing their insane party platform.

He's already strongly hinted that he's going to let Pence be a bull in the china shop of lgbtq rights so I wouldn't hope for much from this. At this point anyone who still clings to politics as usual is missing the big cassandra truth.

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

Fine I give up, the sky is falling and everything is terrible. The Trumpstaffel will round up all the gays and execute us all, hug your pets tonight and cry into their fur. Nice passive aggressive and completely inaccurate title change btw. Please continue with your pointless panicking now since you're so intent upon it.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Hollismason posted:

Within 2 year of now we will have a Federal Religious Freedom bill.

Sounds like time for some faabulous new churches/ religions!

E: Don't forget, the evil, conservative judges (Renquist, Scalia, Thomas) (plus RBG, Stevens and Kennedy) of the supreme court already struck down the federal rfra (the part that applied it to the states) and the federal government has had a rfra for over 20 years.

Agnosticnixie posted:

He's already strongly hinted that he's going to let Pence be a bull in the china shop of lgbtq rights

Cite?

joat mon fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Nov 10, 2016

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
Fear can be healthy if it leads to action. For me, fear is giving way to anger and determination, as it should.
For others, it may lead to fatalism and hopelessness.
We have hope. That hope is us and our voices.

Stop complaining on the Internet and start calling / writing your representatives. Start pulling together in your neighborhoods to foster solidarity. Start letting minorities know that, just because Trump was elected, doesn't mean everybody hates them.
My doctor voted for Trump because Hillary "is a crook." He treats my wife and I well and is affable and friendly. He's also a straight, white male. He has the luxury of voting for Trump. It doesn't mean he suddenly turned his back on LGBT people. It means it didn't even occur to him because he has privileges that he doesn't even see.

These people need to see us and understand us and know us. My own doctor doesn't understand, so we have a lot of work to do.

Be out. Be proud. Lead by example.

We need marches. We need the National Guard sending in the dogs and hitting us with fire hoses. We need standoffs and arrests.
gently caress, I'm a middle-aged transgender woman with an ailing wife. I can't do poo poo but give other groups money and tell people I support them. So I do that.

If you want to worry, then, fine, worry. But start looking for ways to make a difference.

I'm in the St Louis area.
So I have groups like these to give me direction
https://promoonline.org/ - PROMO is Missouri's statewide organization advocating for lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender equality through legislative action, electoral politics, grassroots organizing, and community education.
http://www.hrc.org/local-issues/missouri - Human Rights Campaign fights for LGBTQ equality in Missouri alongside state and local groups and lawmakers. Find out more about what HRC is doing for LGBTQ equality in Missouri and how you can get involved with the local communities in Kansas City and St. Louis.
and sites like this to help me figure out who to patronize.
http://explorestlouis.com/discover/st-louis-lgbt/lgbt-friendly-neighborhoods/
http://pridestl.org/

A few Google searches should tell you what is available in your area.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

A Pale Horse posted:

Fine I give up, the sky is falling and everything is terrible. The Trumpstaffel will round up all the gays and execute us all, hug your pets tonight and cry into their fur. Nice passive aggressive and completely inaccurate title change btw. Please continue with your pointless panicking now since you're so intent upon it.

:allears:

I don't really see a ton of wailing and teeth-gnashing. Just some fool acting like it's NBD.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Well it's like I told my friend once we're all declared subversives the sex is going to be crazy hot. So hey

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

I hope Pence chokes to death on the fattest, gayest dick available.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!
Currently trying to get the local college republicans to release a "We oppose any rollback of Lawrence" statement. Semi-hopeful from the response so far. Groveling isn't very dignified. But neither is jail.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Yardbomb posted:

I hope Pence chokes to death on the fattest, gayest dick available.

I would hope no gay man would befoul their penis by putting it someplace as disgusting as Mike Pence's mouth, or any part of Mike Pence actually.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Give the fattest gayest dick to me instead. i want it

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Guavanaut posted:

Pence otoh...
Yeah it's a classical republican vice-president of a president they didn't want, with both senate and congress. They will do what the democrats were too stupid to do and flip the supreme court in their favor and now it's kinda going to be quite hosed up for 10-20 years. Thank you DNC.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Nov 11, 2016

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

I instinctively like anyone who got that red title. Considering the posters I've seen with it, it seems a strong predictor of a good person

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

hello i am your heart how nice to meet you
Does anyone know anything about Catholic Charities of the East Bay? I want to donate to a charity in my city that helps immigrants and refugees, and they look to be the main one here. They seem like the nice, Liberation Theology kind of Catholics, but I want to make sure that when they say "Helping gay & lesbian kids" on their about page they don't mean "to be celibate." If they suck I can always find an organization that's slightly less local.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Well it's been a few days. I saw a few clips of an interview with Trump on CBS I think? (I can't post it now as I'm at work) when asked about gay marriage he said he wasn't interested in repealing it as its now law. Which I thought was good, but in another clip from that same interview he said he wanted to overturn Roe V Wade (which is also law) and take abortion back to the states. So really it hasn't cleared up anything at all, the only way abortion can be taken back to the states is to overturn the supreme court decision, and given his choices for the Supreme court if that ever happens they'll be just as likely to strike down Obergefell if that case comes back to them too.

Oh and at least one of his potential picks publicly defended Texas's sodomy law in 2003, and remains incredibly hostile to this day http://www.gaystarnews.com/article/donald-trump-supreme-court-pick-william-pryor-wants-gays-jailed-sex-private-homes/#gs.5c11B54

And Pence has replaced Christie as head of Trump's transition team,
http://www.latimes.com/nation/politics/trailguide/

quote:

In addition to staffing the White House, Cabinet agencies, embassies and other key government posts, the transition team needs to make sure Trump is briefed and prepared to take responsibility for taking over the government and getting his policy initiatives in place.

So yeah, looks like Pence is becoming quite prominent in the new administration and will likely surround the new president with like minded friends. Not good.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Baka-nin posted:

So yeah, looks like Pence is becoming quite prominent in the new administration and will likely surround the new president with like minded friends. Not good.

Trump's never been shy about this: Trump wants to Make America Great Again, he'll let Pence worry about trivial details like domestic policy. It's one of the things I've always stressed to friends and family worrying about Trump, that the cheeto elemental isn't the scary part of the ticket for women and minorities.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Pence and the alt-right fuckheads are the real danger in the Trump administration. Trump himself is a puppet with Bannon's arm up his rear end.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

Esme posted:

Does anyone know anything about Catholic Charities of the East Bay? I want to donate to a charity in my city that helps immigrants and refugees, and they look to be the main one here. They seem like the nice, Liberation Theology kind of Catholics, but I want to make sure that when they say "Helping gay & lesbian kids" on their about page they don't mean "to be celibate." If they suck I can always find an organization that's slightly less local.

The mainline church hates them and I'm amazed they haven't gotten shut down given the salt-the-earth approach a lot of the church leadership worldwide has taken towards lgbt youth, but yeah CCEB seems mostly legit. I wouldn't pin my hopes too hard on libtheo (the pope was as virulently homophobic as they come before his election) but on a case by case basis some catholic orgs still fall through the cracks.

Agnosticnixie fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Nov 17, 2016

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

I'm a transgender woman living near Kansas city on the Kansas side. I've been very frightened the last few days to the point of my depression flaring up pretty bad. I've never been involved with the community much for various reasons, most related to said depression.

So I have no real idea on what I need to do NOW. My driver's license has the correct gender but I haven't had/plan to have SRS, so I can't change my birth certificate in my birth state and can't change it here. I don't have a passport and while my social security card has the right name I didn't know they tracked gender.

I'm of two minds, wanting to get the hell out of here and wanting to get involved. Fortunently I pass and when I came out to friends at work they were surprised and since I'm not dating I like to hope my physical security is okay for now.

This job is my first full time job and with the government so I was excited for it even if it is seasonal especially with the projected hiring freeze. Still I was talking with a friend of mine and we both want to move out west where it's more liberal, though I'd try and work out the season as she saves up too. I guess I'm just really still in shock on what's going to happen and would like some guidance on what to do.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

Eimi posted:

I'm a transgender woman living near Kansas city on the Kansas side. I've been very frightened the last few days to the point of my depression flaring up pretty bad. I've never been involved with the community much for various reasons, most related to said depression.

So I have no real idea on what I need to do NOW. My driver's license has the correct gender but I haven't had/plan to have SRS, so I can't change my birth certificate in my birth state and can't change it here. I don't have a passport and while my social security card has the right name I didn't know they tracked gender.

I'm of two minds, wanting to get the hell out of here and wanting to get involved. Fortunently I pass and when I came out to friends at work they were surprised and since I'm not dating I like to hope my physical security is okay for now.

This job is my first full time job and with the government so I was excited for it even if it is seasonal especially with the projected hiring freeze. Still I was talking with a friend of mine and we both want to move out west where it's more liberal, though I'd try and work out the season as she saves up too. I guess I'm just really still in shock on what's going to happen and would like some guidance on what to do.

Right now, you can get an updated passport with just a doctors note. Make that your priority, since it's likely to get harder to do in a trump administration, but if you do it, it's good for the next 10 years. And an updated passport will let you fix your social security gender marker.

Here are some resources for this btw:
http://www.transequality.org/know-your-rights/passports
http://www.transequality.org/know-your-rights/social-security

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
And speaking as a fellow Kansas City Trans goon, the Missouri side doesn't have Brownback which is always a plus if crossing over the border is an option. Hit me up in PMs if you want to talk more. Oh, no PMs, try my username with gmail then. (We may even know each other already!)

Krysmphoenix fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Nov 17, 2016

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Instant Sunrise posted:

Right now, you can get an updated passport with just a doctors note. Make that your priority, since it's likely to get harder to do in a trump administration, but if you do it, it's good for the next 10 years. And an updated passport will let you fix your social security gender marker.

Here are some resources for this btw:
http://www.transequality.org/know-your-rights/passports
http://www.transequality.org/know-your-rights/social-security

Also, depending on how ballsy you/your doctor are, you can straight up lie to get your BC changed. I haven't because I'm hoping to do SRS soon, but I've known several people who had their doctor sign a sworn statement that they had undergone "gender correcting procedures" and the judge found this acceptable evidence to order the birth certificate updated. It's not like the judge is going to ask you to lift your skirt up to confirm, unless Kansas's laws are even more evil than I thought.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Uh why is Judge William Pryor's name being bandied about for SC nominee, anyone hear anything on this

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Also, depending on how ballsy you/your doctor are, you can straight up lie to get your BC changed. I haven't because I'm hoping to do SRS soon, but I've known several people who had their doctor sign a sworn statement that they had undergone "gender correcting procedures" and the judge found this acceptable evidence to order the birth certificate updated. It's not like the judge is going to ask you to lift your skirt up to confirm, unless Kansas's laws are even more evil than I thought.

Some states won't change your BC if you are transgender, regardless of treatment or GRS. They have specific exclusions encoded into law.
I doubt even a sympathetic doctor could word something in a way to call you transgender without calling you transgender.
Like "gender incorrectly assigned at birth" or "corrective surgery" or "birth defect" or whatever. No idea if the state would buy it.
Just check out your state's specific laws. You can use this site although some of the information may be outdated: http://www.lambdalegal.org/know-your-rights/article/trans-changing-birth-certificate-sex-designations

Edit:
The site was last updated in February of 2015, so it may be outdated, but this is what they have for
Kansas
Statute: K.S.A. § 65-2422c (2009).

Text: Minor correction of records. The secretary may by regulation prescribe procedures for making minor corrections to certificates or records.

Administrative Code: K.A.R. § 28-17-20 (b)(1)(A)(i) (2009).

Text: (i) The items recording the registrant's sex may be amended if the amendment is substantiated with the applicant's affidavit that the sex was incorrectly recorded or with a medical certificate substantiating that a physiological or anatomical change occurred.

Controlling case law: In re Estate of Gardiner, 29 Kan. App. 2dn 92 (2001). (interpreting K.S.A. § 65-2422c as only permitting “minor changes” to birth certificates and stating that this does not encompass correction of sex on birth certificates of individuals who have changed their sex by surgical procedure thus invalidating K.A.R. § 28-17-20 (b)(1)(A)(i)).

Summary: Kansas will not issue a birth certificate reflecting the correct sex.

Missouri
Statute: Mo. Ann. Stat. § 193.215(9) (2006).

Text: 9. Upon receipt of a certified copy of an order of a court of competent jurisdiction indicating the sex of an individual born in this state has been changed by surgical procedure and that such individual's name has been changed, the certificate of birth of such individual shall be amended.

Notes: Amended birth certificates will be marked "Amended."

Summary: Missouri will issue a birth certificate reflecting the proper sex.

Aleph Null fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Nov 17, 2016

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

I'm not too sure how the BC ends up working as I was born in Georgia which is similar to Missouri requiring proof of SRS. I just never knew if you had to go by birth state or residency. Which makes it... complicated since I don't super want it, to say nothing of how I can afford it.

Kryms thanks and I will totally send you a message.

Eimi fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Nov 17, 2016

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Hollismason posted:

Uh why is Judge William Pryor's name being bandied about for SC nominee, anyone hear anything on this

Because he's the scariest on the list of 21 names being bandied about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
Texas has filed a North Carolina style bathroom bill for 2017. The Women's Privacy Act. I don't think this had been mentioned yet.

• Locked thread