Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

IOwnCalculus posted:

The answer is always "more threads". Unless there's some horrible bug hiding in Radium's nightmare code, there's always room for more threads.

Working on some concurrency-heavy code today, and I was about to disagree adamantly with this statement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Safety Dance posted:

Working on some concurrency-heavy code today, and I was about to disagree adamantly with this statement.

Lol

At least you aren't playing with syncs/desyncs in Python :rip:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

IOwnCalculus posted:

I'm going to be a sucker and drop $60 for that retro mini-NES coming out because I loving can. Also, because I really hope they make a SNES version.

The Genesis/Megadrive one has a cartridge slot in the top so you can actually plug your carts in if you want the authentic experience. Sadly though it comes with a 3 button pad instead of the awesome 6 button one aaaaaaaaand it doesn't have HDMI out.

:/

I've contemplated RGB modding my consoles in the past and running them via a Framemeister because scanlines... Not cheap though. https://solarisjapan.com/products/xrgb-mini-framemeister-compact-up-scaler-unit

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I would love a frameister but if I got one I probably would need to build a dog house in my back yard

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Lord of Garbagemen posted:

In late December I am going to start a long restomod of making my BH Legacy Wagon into Turbo Legacy wagon, do you all think there is enough interest for a build thread or should it just stay in the Flannel thread?

New thread. So I can compare notes as I turn a Forester into a turbo death machine.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

funny Star Wars parody posted:

I would love a frameister but if I got one I probably would need to build a dog house in my back yard

There are some Chinese scandoublers/upscalers out there that are much cheaper, but they don't stop my lust for any of the XRGB products either.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Nov 10, 2016

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
Does anyone play racing video games? Dirt 3 is free for the next few days (linky)and playing on an xbox 360 controller plugged into my PC seems just wrong so I'm looking for a good wheel/pedal combo, preferably with the option of adding on a stick-shift!

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

IOwnCalculus posted:

The answer is always "more threads". Unless there's some horrible bug hiding in Radium's nightmare code, there's always room for more threads.

Meta-chat: I don't like to come down on trying to stop topics from being discussed in the chat thread but I think at this point everyone has said their piece about the events of the past few days. I also don't think there's all that much disagreement here on the state of things, so how about we move on to less depressing topics?

Even though I could probably put something together out of the Ouya / Raspi / god knows what else hardware I have laying around, I'm going to be a sucker and drop $60 for that retro mini-NES coming out because I loving can. Also, because I really hope they make a SNES version.

Yeah, an NES with HDMI out sold me.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

IOwnCalculus posted:

Even though I could probably put something together out of the Ouya / Raspi / god knows what else hardware I have laying around, I'm going to be a sucker and drop $60 for that retro mini-NES coming out because I loving can. Also, because I really hope they make a SNES version.

Do they plan on coming out with an N64 version? Because I love me some Mario Kart and that would be the poo poo.

scuz posted:

Does anyone play racing video games? Dirt 3 is free for the next few days (linky)and playing on an xbox 360 controller plugged into my PC seems just wrong so I'm looking for a good wheel/pedal combo, preferably with the option of adding on a stick-shift!

I have Dirt3 for my PS3 and can confirm that it's awesome. My son loves it, the true rally segments are the best to try to beat yourself, and then rally cross/trucks are great fun for multiplayer. A+ would buy again.

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Nov 10, 2016

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Do they plan on coming out with an N64 version? Because I love me some Mario Kart and that would be the poo poo.

N64 looks like garbage on modern TVs because of the way they did the models and how it was designed to look good on the TVs of the time :(

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

funny Star Wars parody posted:

N64 looks like garbage on modern TVs because of the way they did the models and how it was designed to look good on the TVs of the time :(

Well couldn't they fix it to work with modern TV's? Please say yes.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Dirt 3 is good if a little arcadey. When I played it a few years ago I just used keyboard controls and did fine but I get that most people don't prefer those. I bought Dirt: Rally last week and am now using a Driving Force GT with it. Good beginners wheel but dang that game is unforgiving. The tracks so far are like 4-6 minutes to get through and I've only played for a half hour so far.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

The games themselves are the problem, but a bunch of people in the emulation community have bodged newer/higher-resolution textures and different meshes into the games. Probably they would no longer run on a 'real' N64, however.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Seat Safety Switch posted:

The games themselves are the problem, but a bunch of people in the emulation community have bodged newer/higher-resolution textures and different meshes into the games. Probably they would no longer run on a 'real' N64, however.

Yup exactly this

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

They'll probably wait and see how this one sells but I saw rumor milling of an SNES one the other day.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

What are you lookin at...

Ferremit posted:

looking at knives and leathermans as I wouldnt mind a better tool to back up my Charge TTI as a second set (Current back up is a really basic leatherman and its sorely lacking)

A Super Tool 300 in the US is $80

The EXACT same leatherman in Australia is $205. Plus freight. Wonder what the deal with importing knives into Aus is?

Also... after a proper hunting knife as dismembering and field cleaning goats with a leatherman is... not ideal.... What are Benchmade knives like? Specifically their folding blade hunting models?

It's risky importing knives into Australia - your customs people like to seize them.

I have a limited edition Benchmade Griptilian 551 with D2 steel and G10 handle and it's awesome. I also have a standard 551 with the zytel handle and uh CPM154 or whatever it is blade and it works well too but the plastic handle is a bit meh.

For a Benchmade folder this would be my pick with drop point, CPM20V steel, satin finished blade (stuff, like blood, sticks to the black coatings and makes them harder to clean), G10 handles

http://www.benchmade.com/griptilian-family.html

If you want one specifically labelled as for hunting, this with the G10 handle would be nice (but I don't like the slight recurve to the blade)

http://www.benchmade.com/hunt/north-fork-family.html

Or this is a really good fixed blade

http://www.benchmade.com/hunt/saddle-mountain-hunter-family.html

But for all my serious hunting use I actually use this, because it's small and light, cheap, fixed (doesn't get stuff like blood stuck inside it which is hard to clean out like a folding knife) and works. But my use (Nz alpine hunting) is different to shooting goats in Oz

http://www.coldsteel.com/products-by-cold-steel/fixed-knives-by-cold-steel/pendleton-mini-hunter.html?___SID=U

gimpsuitjones fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Nov 10, 2016

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

scuz posted:

Thanks for the link, and Logitech G27 is the standby recommendation in the iRacing thread. You can do well for less (Logitech DFGT) but you won't have an H-pattern shifter.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
God drat do I love Joe Biden

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RR5V0rmN4o

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

IOwnCalculus posted:

I'll be ordering one as soon as they are available as well. Probably throw in an extra controller and extension cables for the controllers. I put together a parts list to make one with a Raspberry Pi but never got around to it because I'm lazy and have too many projects.

scuz posted:

Think I have Dirt Rally on the sim and it's brutally hard but great when you actually run a section clean. Dirt 3 wasn't as sim like but it is a fun game and for free I'll install it. As far as wheels go the Logitech G27 is the common recommendation but isn't cheap.

Got an email from Dad earlier "http://knoxville.craigslist.org/cto/5835116645.html - If you have time go buy this for me, looks like a good truck. Dad" So might be going to look at a 45 year old truck this weekend for Dad. Other than rust anything special I should look out for on an old truck like this?

Speaking of lazy and too many projects :getin:

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Nov 10, 2016

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Speaking of old consoles I picked up a dreamcast today and I'm impressed at how well it holds up.

Spent a couple of hours playing legacy of kain

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

IOwnCalculus posted:

I have enough stuff with a NES-on-a-chip kicking around along with a couple of actual NES's (?) so I couldn't give a poo poo about it. I do agree with the SNES sentiment. I would be all over that. While I still have mine, it was a great console and I'd love to see it revived in some form, even if it's just a novelty.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

NitroSpazzz posted:

Got an email from Dad earlier "http://knoxville.craigslist.org/cto/5835116645.html - If you have time go buy this for me, looks like a good truck. Dad" So might be going to look at a 45 year old truck this weekend for Dad. Other than rust anything special I should look out for on an old truck like this?

Wow, buy that truck. Looks great. As for things to watch out for, I guess cab corners and the windshield frame/drip rail are the rust spots, and besides that it's just general car stuff like how worn out are the synchros and bushings and such. IIRC, those use plastic bushings for the pedal box, which get kinda sloppy and lovely when they fail. Also, first and reverse may or may not be synchronized from the factory.

Still, at that price, I'd buy it regardless, as long as it goes and stops and has paperwork.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Raluek posted:

Wow, buy that truck. Looks great. As for things to watch out for, I guess cab corners and the windshield frame/drip rail are the rust spots, and besides that it's just general car stuff like how worn out are the synchros and bushings and such. IIRC, those use plastic bushings for the pedal box, which get kinda sloppy and lovely when they fail. Also, first and reverse may or may not be synchronized from the factory.

Still, at that price, I'd buy it regardless, as long as it goes and stops and has paperwork.

Thanks. Yeah Dad said if it runs, drives and isn't rusty buy it. We'll send it up to Wisconsin and he'll either drive it or clean it up and sell it. I think he used one same year and color at one of the places he worked growing up, he's been looking for one since I bought the courier.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

That was awesome.

I also remember an X-Wing Fighter game that looked incredible at the time, but was also frustrating as hell.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

freelop posted:

Speaking of old consoles I picked up a dreamcast today and I'm impressed at how well it holds up.

You bastard, you made me get my dreamcast out!. I just spent 2 hours playing Rez and now my hands hurt (dreamcast controllers suck and all mine appear to be dead other than one with a broken analog stick)

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Getting retro games to look nice on modern TVs can be expensive. Prices for games have gone insane too. If you still have the real hardware flash carts are the best way to get all the games you want to play without breaking the bank.

Dirt 3 is fun too but I hate the gymkhana stages. I'm a fan of more arcade-like racing games though like Grid 2.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

drat Leonard Cohen has passed away. Not a great year.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

mariooncrack posted:

Dirt 3 is fun too but I hate the gymkhana stages. I'm a fan of more arcade-like racing games though like Grid 2.

Yeah the gymkhana stages are bad and ruin the "career" experience. The rest of it makes up for that tho.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

freelop posted:

I think I may have played more Dreamcast than any other console I owned. It may in fact be the reason I currently live in Japan.

For racing games, I've played the Dirt and Grid series, Richard Burns, Assestto Corsa and Project Cars, but for me nothing can beat Gran Turismo. :allears: There's something about it that I just don't get from the others. I think it hits a real sweet spot on the arcade/simulation spectrum, and I also just like buying and modifying the cars, and progressing through the game.

RillAkBea fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Nov 11, 2016

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

You Am I posted:

drat Leonard Cohen has passed away. Not a great year.

GOD drat IT I CAN NOT HANDLE ANY MORE OF THIS YEAR'S BULLSHIT.

But that said, he recently made a statement that he was ready to go and felt more at peace than he'd ever been in his life.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

That was awesome.

I also remember an X-Wing Fighter game that looked incredible at the time, but was also frustrating as hell.

You summed up 95% of video games of the time.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
First video game graphics I remember being amazed by were in Dr. J and Larry Bird Go One on One. You could shatter the backboard and a little pixel basketball janitor would come sweep it up.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

That was awesome.

One of these games?

https://www.gog.com/game/star_wars_xwing_special_edition

https://www.gog.com/game/star_wars_xwing_vs_tie_fighter

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I was gonna post this before my goddamned musical heart got ripped out

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Nope, it was this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hStC6PklKx0

The player in the video makes it look easy, but I remember it being close to impossible after the first few levels and just giving up. I recall the first time playing it and being astonished by the graphics.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Yeah the gymkhana stages are bad and ruin the "career" experience. The rest of it makes up for that tho.

Gymkhana is terrible and I hate that Dirt used the game as a marketing device for it.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Gymkhana is kinda neat and the fact that dirt has it makes me interested to play it.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
https://youtu.be/rrL2eS6n1fM

I love Thursday nights that I don't work the next day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SukivOOWtyo

:rip: cool singing man. My girl's name comes from one of the songs on Ten New Songs and I just put that disc in the Avalon since I don't have bluetooth in it yet. :(

• Locked thread