Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE
https://twitter.com/time/status/796805891475570688

Drain the swamp
MAGA lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

"i, as a person who will never be subject to police brutality or systemic disenfranchisement and violence, think that you, a person who is in greater danger of those things now due to trump and the right wing horde that swept him in, should not buy a gun because i disapprove"

- that dude

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

idiotsavant posted:

The DNC and the Democratic Party have been making GBS threads all over their constituents for years now by forcing them to vote for the lesser of two evils. Is it really so surprising that a bunch of Democratic voters saw what seemed to them to be another centrist, mealy-mouthed, DNC tool and decided to finally sit one out?

Don't get me wrong - I voted for Clinton and I had hoped she would have been a good President. But a lot of Democrats of every color, gender, and creed have been told, "It'll be your turn next time" for a long, long time, and maybe they finally got sick of it.

So rather than sell out the party even more by reaching across the aisle to a bunch of lovely, bigoted Trump supporters who won't ever vote Democratic anyways, maybe Dems could, oh, appeal to their actual core constituents with something other than "vote for us or something REALLY BAD will happen."

Why do you think Obama was the lesser of two evils?

Or alternatively are you arguing the DNC should do more to ensure the electability of their candidate versus doing what the majority wants?

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

I mean boning, the wild mambo, the hunka chunka

Waffles Inc. posted:

i'll never stop marveling at how many folks like this dude here who would call themselves progressives continually demonstrate how loving moronic they are by telling poc what they should or shouldn't do

it's genuinely incredible

Tell me how those two situations are different. If you have something, say it. Don't fall back on this sort of deflection tactic. How would a good guy with a gun have stopped the Dylann Roof massacre in a way that is distinct from how that person would've stopped the Aurora massacre?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Trabisnikof posted:

Maybe leftists could develop some organizations and power structures of their own. Wouldn't it be cool if you had national leaders who were left of the Democratic Party center driving organizing at the state and local level?

Imagine how that would change the Democratic Primary!

That would merely weaken the position of pragmatic leftist candidates, such as Hillary.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

Really dodged a bullet there with Hilary losing, huh.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

loving :laffo:

So much for defeating "Owned by the bankers" Hillary.

The deplorables deserve everything they get.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Scent of Worf posted:

The best thing about the next 4 years is going to be watching tens of millions of republicans realize they've been duped by the establishment yet again :coolfish:

I'm kind of interested in how long they'll be able to say one thing while doing the opposite without getting called on it and getting backlash from the base. I'm guessing a long loving time.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Squashing Machine posted:

Tell me how those two situations are different. If you have something, say it. Don't fall back on this sort of deflection tactic. How would a good guy with a gun have stopped the Dylann Roof massacre in a way that is distinct from how that person would've stopped the Aurora massacre?

Maybe this will help! A "good guy with a gun" is based on an image of grandeur where as minorities arming themselves will be a deterrent to good guys with a gun like Dylann Roof.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

he referenced dylan roof because that was a sicko white dude motivated by ideas of racial superiority not because he thought he could rambo his way to winning it--it was evidence of racially charged and racially motivated armed violence because you said you thought those days were over

this is not hard, man

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

Trabisnikof posted:

Maybe leftists could develop some organizations and power structures of their own. Wouldn't it be cool if you had national leaders who were left of the Democratic Party center driving organizing at the state and local level?

Imagine how that would change the Democratic Primary!

Also purge the DNC.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

steinrokkan posted:

That would merely weaken the position of pragmatic leftist candidates, such as Hillary.

True but if there is this vast leftist base that is crying out for leadership, you think some leftist national leaders would be leading a revolution rather than saying "oh shucks looks like the outsiders don't control the establishment"

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

lol trump is just flat-out trolling with these picks now

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Tatsuta Age posted:

Interesting.

unfortunately, the DNC really is just that inept

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

WampaLord posted:

loving :laffo:

So much for defeating "Owned by the bankers" Hillary.

The deplorables deserve everything they get.

They don't deserve to suffer for four years.

They deserve a cold shower.

Sadly that's not how things work.

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

Waffles Inc. posted:

he referenced dylan roof because that was a sicko white dude motivated by ideas of racial superiority not because he thought he could rambo his way to winning it--it was evidence of racially charged and racially motivated armed violence because you said you thought those days were over

this is not hard, man

I never said those days were over. I said that encouraging PoC gun ownership is just as useless at stopping mass hate crime as it is at stopping the general phenomenon of mass shootings. You have nothing.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Trabisnikof posted:

True but if there is this vast leftist base that is crying out for leadership, you think some leftist national leaders would be leading a revolution rather than saying "oh shucks looks like the outsiders don't control the establishment"

I was joking, to hell with Hillary, the left needs to organize.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Lightning Knight posted:

This really isn't the problem. The system could provide these people jobs and security, but they very specifically want a certain type of job we can't give them. That's the problem.

Republicans are willing to literally promise people unicorns and they'll vote for it.

Any other job would require them to stop coasting on white mediocrity and put in actual effort and interact with minorities.

So they aren't interested.

gently caress, I'm still here. I tied the Dylann Roof shooting to two other mass or public shootings, which you decided not to read I guess. I fail to see how saying "a good guy with a gun would've stopped the Dylann Roof massacre" is any different from saying "a good guy with a gun would've stopped the Aurora massacre." The difference is one is something we've routinely derided for the past four years and the other is now just Good Common Sense

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
Also "dude walks into a church and starts firing" might not be the only possible scenario for racially motivated violence.

Crazy, I know.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

I never said those days were over. I said that encouraging PoC gun ownership is just as useless at stopping mass hate crime as it is at stopping the general phenomenon of mass shootings. You have nothing.

encouraging poc gun ownership is a Good Thing(tm) because when the state has the guns and are using them against you it is the only recourse

see: black panthers, the

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

negromancer posted:

Any other job would require them to stop coasting on white mediocrity and put in actual effort and interact with minorities.

So they aren't interested.

Seriously, give me your take. How is it different?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

this is empirically false you dumb poo poo!

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

NO ONE SAID MASS HATE CRIMES.

How are you not getting this?

I literally presented the scenario of white men rolling up and trying to lynch me, and you're like "nah, let them lynch you."

gently caress you.

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

this is empirically false you dumb poo poo!

He's still in denial about the existence of the Black Panthers and how they defended black communities nationwide from racists.

They don't exist in his world.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
gently caress it, Sanders should run in 2020. It's not like he's that much older than Trump anyway. Put Keith Ellison in charge of the DNC, ban sarcasm or jokes in emails just in case. Ban superdelegates(they've literally never mattered and always give with wherever won the most normal delegates anyway and are loving terrible optics), make Melissa Harris Perry the running mate. Go radical.

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

Waffles Inc. posted:

encouraging poc gun ownership is a Good Thing(tm) because when the state has the guns and are using them against you it is the only recourse

see: black panthers, the

Dylann Roof was not the state. He was a racist who committed a mass hate crime. I'm talking about gun ownership as a defense against citizen mass violence, and you've dodged my question for the second time. How is it different.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Waffles Inc. posted:

It is a useless recourse. If a black guy shoots a cop, even in self-defense, they send twenty cops ready to shoot on sight.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Dylann Roof was not the state. He was a racist who committed a mass hate crime. I'm talking about gun ownership as a defense against citizen mass violence, and you've dodged my question for the second time. How is it different.

And the state took him to loving Burger King as a reward.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

negromancer posted:

NO ONE SAID MASS HATE CRIMES.

How are you not getting this?

I literally presented the scenario of white men rolling up and trying to lynch me, and you're like "nah, let them lynch you."

gently caress you.

the KKK may destroy your body, but if you remain pure and unsullied by firearms when you arrive at the pearly gates Saint Clinton will surely save your soul.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Waffles Inc. posted:

"i, as a person who will never be subject to police brutality or systemic disenfranchisement and violence, think that you, a person who is in greater danger of those things now due to trump and the right wing horde that swept him in, should not buy a gun because i disapprove"

- that dude

I've never owned a gun, never even fired one, but I just contacted an LGBT friendly CCW instructor in my county. I just don't trust Federal, State or Local law enforcement in Trump's America.

BarbarianElephant posted:

It is a useless recourse. If a black guy shoots a cop, even in self-defense, they send twenty cops ready to shoot on sight.

We're going to get killed armed or not.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

squashinig machine you obviously have some real issues and you've already splashed some cash to buy me an av for ~reasons~ but i gotta tell you man that when poc speak up about their lived existences and fears you need to listen the gently caress up and get into a headspace where you can understand

you're trying to have an intellectual conversation about people's real lives and their real fears and motivations, not to mention you're just wrong

honestly reflect on this poo poo and open your ears if you really give a gently caress about poc

Glazier posted:

I've never owned a gun, never even fired one, but I just contacted an LGBT friendly CCW instructor in my county. I just don't trust Federal, State or Local law enforcement in Trump's America.

good on you. stay safe out there.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

greatn posted:

gently caress it, Sanders should run in 2020. It's not like he's that much older than Trump anyway. Put Keith Ellison in charge of the DNC, ban sarcasm or jokes in emails just in case. Ban superdelegates(they've literally never mattered and always give with wherever won the most normal delegates anyway), make Melissa Harris Perry the running mate. Go radical.

In their age range a couple years means the world.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

The state orchestrated the assassination of black panther leadership during the civil rights era!

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

steinrokkan posted:

In their age range a couple years means the world.

You make a woman poc your veep so if you die, bonus, first woman president, first X president too.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

The state orchestrated the assassination of black panther leadership during the civil rights era!

Rudy will probably do the same.

This is also why BLM doesn't want concentrated leadership, although obviously they're less armed

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

Waffles Inc. posted:

squashinig machine you obviously have some real issues and you've already splashed some cash to buy me an av for ~reasons~ but i gotta tell you man that when poc speak up about their lived existences and fears you need to listen the gently caress up and get into a headspace where you can understand

you're trying to have an intellectual conversation about people's real lives and their real fears and motivations, not to mention you're just wrong

honestly reflect on this poo poo and open your ears if you really give a gently caress about poc

I didn't buy you poo poo, and you're right, I am trying to have an intellectual conversation, which is apparently something you're completely incapable of. If fear is the first stop in this conversation, then fine, let it be run by fear. But gun ownership kills innocents, and it's fear that makes it seem like a viable option. It's the same fear that the NRA relies on to keep its membership and donations up. You have completely failed to tell me how these ideas are at all different.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!

Show me a single time that someone having a gun as the police

- Pull them over for a traffic ticket,
- Stop and frisk with or without probably cause,
- Show up at their house with or without a warrant,
- Arrest them for publically protesting,
- Literally anything else!

has helped. Look back twenty years if you need to. Thirty, gently caress it. Show me a time that an armed citizen/citizenry was able to protect themselves and not just get loving shot that much faster.

It is driving me crazy all you fuckers in this very thread acting like "Well if they're armed, the cops will respect their lives more" is an ACTUAL THING.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Dimon for SecTreas, Giuliani for AG, Palin for Interior, have I missed any other floated nightmare picks?

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos

This video explains pretty much how I feel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2fK_KDnzwc

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Pretty sure there is nothing on God's earth that can stop a determined spree shooter, because, get this, they're loving insane and not really working off the same logic and principles as everyone else. Self preservation isn't a thing for these guys, and dying is more often than not what they want.

But as pointed out, this isn't the only scenario that exists. When Bubba and his cracker friends get hopped up on cheap beer and decide they want to have a good time they're probably going to be thinking twice on their usual recreational pursuits if the target of their good natured foolin' and everyone around them is packing. Same deal with the cops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!

mdemone posted:

Dimon for SecTreas, Giuliani for AG, Palin for Interior, have I missed any other floated nightmare picks?

Donald Trump as POTUS with Mike Pence as VP.

• Locked thread