Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it got enough time to wrap things up, as opposed to bleach where the ending seethed with contempt from both the mangaka and the editors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

This manga is simply too epic to end!! ITS JUST TOO EPIC!!

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Jose posted:

i find it strange a manga that went 300+ chapters got cancelled and had a rushed ending. seems like that would be enough to keep going
Sometimes you just run out of steam, man. This poo poo's hard to keep going for decades on end. Oda's probably the only one who consistently manages to find his groove again when he puts a foot wrong. I think everyone acknowledges Dressrosa went on too long, but he still got readers invested in the comic again (he said, basing his statement entirely on ADTRW's perceived reading habits).

With Toriko I feel like his first major shortfall was that dumb 'routine' stuff that never went anywhere. Then he immediately followed it up by skipping what was probably a year's worth of plot in order to jump right to the end of Toriko and Komatsu reuniting. It just got increasingly sketchy after that, with entire arcs being covered in the form of barebones outlines. Not always, mind--the Monkey King stuff was pretty good. But it sounds like he (or his editor) saw the writing on the wall well before official word came down, and planned accordingly.

Rather to his credit, I think. If nothing else, the series maintained an enjoyable level of batshit insane escalation to the very end. I won't mourn it coming to an end when it did, but I have fond memories of the ride. In the end, maybe that's enough.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Given the absolute hellish schedule that manga artists have, I don't blame Toriko for wanting to wind it down.

Not to mention writing the same story for years and years can get a bit dull.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
What went wrong with Toriko: It stopped consistently making you hungry while reading through chapters.

The ending has been a great ride so far though, so I'm fine with it wrapping up with this.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110
toriko has been incredible and perfect for years tbh

like, the routine stuff was a little silly but i liked that a few early arcs had gimmicks that they tried that would have been toriko's chakra or whatever other power, but they got discarded after they wore out being useful.

honestly the second it hit the gourmet world it has been perfect and never let down imo, and for the longest time was the manga i was looking forward to the most. at this point every chapter is another step toward the end :(

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

it got enough time to wrap things up, as opposed to bleach where the ending seethed with contempt from both the mangaka and the editors.

I thought they both got notice of their impending cancellation, it's just that Shimabukuro actually just started going turbo to the end instead of just continuing on at the same pace until Jump said NO gently caress YOU YOU GOT THREE CHAPTERS LEFT BUDDY

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
nah, the point where kubo was told he was cancelled was very obvious. all of the lengthy inane bullshit ended in the space of a single chapter and then the whole thing ended less than 10 chapters later.

toriko getting time to actually wrap things up wasn't completely unprecedented, either. busou renkin got a similar deal, and i'm sure there are others.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

nah, the point where kubo was told he was cancelled was very obvious. all of the lengthy inane bullshit ended in the space of a single chapter and then the whole thing ended less than 10 chapters later.

toriko getting time to actually wrap things up wasn't completely unprecedented, either. busou renkin got a similar deal, and i'm sure there are others.

Wait didn't Kubo get his cancellation notice a year in advance?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Annointed posted:

Wait didn't Kubo get his cancellation notice a year in advance?

not as far as i know, and going by the manga not as far as kubo knew either. for the final year he was doing the exact same meandering bullshit as the previous few years. i guess it is possible that kubo had known earlier but blown it off for whatever reason, though.

regardless, it is good that shimabukuro got enough time to end toriko properly.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
The other heavenly kings got hosed over royally though. They did absolutely nothing during the big finale.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Just read the penultimate chapter. Last one comes next week.

The drool from my eyes, it won't stop falling.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
:cry:

I loving love this chapter with all the callbacks to everything that's taken place over the course of the series.

It's so beautiful.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Magnífico.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Zamasu
Nov 4, 2016

I'm just being self-absorbed.
It doesn't matter if no one's listening.

It's beautiful. I'll have seconds, please.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
A "surprise level 100 Human-Faced Apple"? Does that mean they put an apple someone farted on in the dessert?

Anyway, that was surprisingly moving for a callback chapter. I wonder how this is going to get capped off.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I like how the chapter skipped over the "you may kiss the bride" part.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
Actually the priest CLEARLY ordered toriko to kiss the bride so good everyone got boners.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Yeah but it skipped over the actual kiss.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Work Friend Keven posted:

Actually the priest CLEARLY ordered toriko to kiss the bride so good everyone got boners.

He did.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

:kimchi::kimchi::kimchi:

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

Toriko is going to eat the dress off Rin. :heysexy:

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110
I'm gonna miss u guys

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Rins wearing edible underwear right

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Since toriko got a taste of cannibalism i hope he doesnt go too far

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

kyaa neo :3:

Such a good chapter. :unsmith:

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Holy cow, this is it, it's really happening. :cry:

I hope the other authors do Toriko tributes next week.

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?
The chapter

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

See Kubo this is how you end your manga in a bang rather than that ruined orgasm of an ending.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Not actually sure what's left to happen in the final chapter. I guess it ends with Toriko and his friends going into space in search of new flavors?

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

This is how you end a manga.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Speaking of loose plot threads, don't Coco and Zebra need to finish their full courses too?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
who knows, maybe they did so off-panel during their cut solo arcs.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!
This is what I'm here for, everyone eating and crying. This comic was so goddamn good.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I think I'll do a reread marathon.

Seebach
Jul 14, 2012

Mraagvpeine posted:

Speaking of loose plot threads, don't Coco and Zebra need to finish their full courses too?

I thought they both finished, but they're both shy of a main dish.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy
Actually a little disappointed there's still 1 chapter left. This is a really, really good ending (although I laughed a little that Torkio seems to care more about his bromance than he does his wife).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
I'm not peeling onions, you're peeling onions... *sniffle*

• Locked thread