Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
i got so many lockstone ratbroing the first month after release

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
It was the best covenant, and I'll be forever bitter that they didn't bring it back for DS3.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

but they brought you 2 blue cop covenants!

Thats good right?

Right?

mound makers foreveeeeer

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Ratbroing really is the best, because the risk is all on the aggressor's side. The victim doesn't lose anything but time if they die while summoned, and they don't even have to kill the aggressor to win. If you like invading but don't like being a dick, Ratbro is the way for you.

Attestant posted:

It was the best covenant, and I'll be forever bitter that they didn't bring it back for DS3.

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe
Hurrah for torch!

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

Rat Covenant was the best and I'm a bit sad it didn't happen to Geop. It's really strange if you don't know about it because the game doesn't tell you what is happening at all, it just goes to load screen and suddenly you are a phantom?? And then you run into some really dumb trap and are very confused.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

AbortRetryFail posted:

Rat Covenant was the best and I'm a bit sad it didn't happen to Geop. It's really strange if you don't know about it because the game doesn't tell you what is happening at all, it just goes to load screen and suddenly you are a phantom?? And then you run into some really dumb trap and are very confused.

There's still time enough in the game for ratbroing to happen.

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe
The Gutter may look like a shithole now, but you can make it prettier by lighting all those sconces that are littered around.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Can't you light your torch off them, too?

So, once you light the first sconce, you can light your torches for free every time you die. Handy to mark where you're been*.

*killed

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Gorilla Salad posted:

Can;'t you also light your torch off them, too?

So, once you light the first sconce, you can light your torches for free every time you die. Handy to mark where you're been*.

*killed

Yup, though you could do that at the bonfire anyways.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
True, but this is Geop we're talking about.

He'll pull out his shield, is what I mean.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Gorilla Salad posted:

True, but this is Geop we're talking about.

He'll pull out his shield, is what I mean.
You know me too well, friend

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

The gutter looks cool with all the sconces lit up.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
I never noticed before this video that the Rat King is hovering about a few inches above the ground.

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

A king does what ever he wishes, fool

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

This lends credence to my idea that the Rat King is some sort of ugly Chuck E Cheese style robot. There's just some mechanical boom hoisting him up from behind.

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]

PleasingFungus posted:

I never noticed before this video that the Rat King is hovering about a few inches above the ground.

Many Dark Souls NPCs are hovering above the ground to fake a height difference with the player or to skirt clipping issues with uneven ground. :ssh:

Wonderslug
Apr 3, 2011

You don't say.
Fallen Rib

The Dark Id posted:

Many Dark Souls NPCs are hovering above the ground to fake a height difference with the player or to skirt clipping issues with uneven ground. :ssh:

He's just floating on sunshine, gosh.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Geop posted:

This lends credence to my idea that the Rat King is some sort of ugly Chuck E Cheese style robot. There's just some mechanical boom hoisting him up from behind.

So Geop's Dark souls 2 is a FNAF spinoff is what I am hearing.

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe
Five nights at Pharros.

Whamukars
May 9, 2016

"There are no facts, only interpretations."
#RatBros4Life

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
This is my lockstone. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

My lockstone is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life.

Without me, my lockstone is useless. Without my lockstone, I am useless. I must insert my lockstone true. I must trap better than my enemy who is trying to kill me. I must trap him before he swords me.

My lockstone as I know that what counts in Dark Souls is not the magic we fire, the noise of our battle, nor the sick dodges we make. We know that it is the trap that counts.

My lockstone is ratbro, even as I, because it is my life. Thus, I will learn it as a ratbrother. I will learn its weaknesses, its strength, its parts, its accessories, its sediments and its hardness. I will keep my lockstone clean and ready, even as I am covered in sewage and smelly. We will become part of each other.

Before Rat King, I swear this creed. My lockstone and I are the defenders of my country. We are the masters of our enemy. We are the saviors of my instance.

So be it, until victory is Rat King's and there is no enemy, but cleanliness!

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

I'll just step in and say Rat Fuckers can suck my dick. Nothing like just trying to explore a place and casually walk through it only to have a dozen of those jerks on my butt. Just a humble blue collar police worker trying to make a living and rats just have to make your life hard.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

PleasingFungus posted:

A lot of random poo poo, like trees and rocks, in the game is hovering off the ground. It's just really hard to tell unless the camera gets lined up just right.

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

Fellow goon HBomberguy, who has a pretty decent youtube channel by the same name that is part making fun of the alt-right and part games criticism, did a video about Bloodborne and the Souls games that includes a shout-out to the old Dark Souls 1 LP. I'm not gonna link it due to Bloodborne spoilers and erring on the side of caution but it's a pretty interesting (87 minute) watch. A large chunk of it is talking about how Demons' and Dark Souls suggests a certain type of playstyle early on, while Bloodborne uses a different approach that he finds makes the series more fun and accessible.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Trojan Kaiju posted:

Fellow goon HBomberguy, who has a pretty decent youtube channel by the same name that is part making fun of the alt-right and part games criticism, did a video about Bloodborne and the Souls games that includes a shout-out to the old Dark Souls 1 LP.
I can only imagine that LP being brought up in a case study of playing a game poorly/wrong :staredog: Hell I'm looking a dozen or so episodes back of *this* LP and kinda wondering why I took so long to start rolling more.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

Not gonna lie, I've been let down by your real game skills and have often lusted for your death. Thought for sure we'd have some on ratbros, especially after wiffing into the statues.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Geop posted:

I can only imagine that LP being brought up in a case study of playing a game poorly/wrong :staredog: Hell I'm looking a dozen or so episodes back of *this* LP and kinda wondering why I took so long to start rolling more.

Wrong in the "you'll probably have less fun" sense of the word rather than the "git gud" kind. Less blockin' more rollin'.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Geop posted:

Well with all that turtling behind a shield it made sense it would take some time to get out of your shell and just roll with it.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Geop posted:

Dude for somebody going in blind you were pretty good at Dark Souls

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Geop posted:

The relevant part starts at 22:23 in the video, and a scene from your LP is used at 23:13. He uses you as an example for how Demon's/Dark Souls conditions people to play in an unfun, but safe way.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

Tamba posted:

The relevant part starts at 22:23 in the video, and a scene from your LP is used at 23:13. He uses you as an example for how Demon's/Dark Souls conditions people to play in an unfun, but safe way.
I know I had way more fun when I sucked it up, quit turtling, and busted out the Great Hammers.

Two hand and strong attacks with that poo poo turns the game into Itchy & Scratch Souls. Oh, an invader? *SPLAT*

Summoning/being summoned to turn boss fights into giant monster curb stomps is also fun as gently caress.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

Geop posted:

It's more an analysis of what the early parts of Demon's and Dark teach players they have to do in order to survive, as opposed to the more fun playstyle that seems to pop up once people have some experience.

I'm a really staunch defender of DS2, I think it's the first of the series to really offer players a better way.

neon flame
Feb 21, 2013

Apparently Dan is a sex symbol in France.

I'm enjoying this LP Geop, and liked the last one as well! Just caught up on the videos, and wanted to point out that like Dark Souls 1, you can have two arrows/bolts equipped at once, so you don't have to keep changing it in the menu.

Admittedly you're not using them much, but it's still a convenient thing to know.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I don't think it's entirely that the game conditions you to play defensively, but more that it doesn't adequately condition you to believe that dying isn't a big deal (which leads to you playing defensively). I think that's what Prepare To Die means. Not "this game is so hard that you're going to die a lot scrub", but rather that you should accept that you are going to die, and take from it what you can. The overall philosophy of Dark Souls is that if you don't die, you don't learn, and if you don't learn, then you can't win. Death is a necessary part of the game, and players who stop seeing it as a failure state will have more fun with it.

AstroWhale
Mar 28, 2009
I do think this game conditions you to play offensively, because you often get swarmed by enemies. For instance, the early encounter near the big tree in the Forest. There are two likely outcomes:

1. You play with your shield up. The enemies drain your poor stamina and you get killed.
2. You play offensively. You get hits in and are more likely to survive. Not guaranteed though, especially with a broken sword.

The problem with option two is that enemies rarely stagger, so you get conflicting messages. Will you die often playing with your shield up or play risky and also eventually die? And dying is more of a deal here, since you loose health.

Sum Gai
Mar 23, 2013

AstroWhale posted:

I do think this game conditions you to play offensively, because you often get swarmed by enemies. For instance, the early encounter near the big tree in the Forest. There are two likely outcomes:

1. You play with your shield up. The enemies drain your poor stamina and you get killed.
2. You play offensively. You get hits in and are more likely to survive. Not guaranteed though, especially with a broken sword.

The problem with option two is that enemies rarely stagger, so you get conflicting messages. Will you die often playing with your shield up or play risky and also eventually die? And dying is more of a deal here, since you loose health.

The game throws a bunch of other obstacles in your way- you have less stamina, enemies both hit harder than they did in Dark Souls and track you better, healing's slower and weaker, you can't turn as far in the middle of a combo, and so on. I'm not really sure where in all that it conditions you to play offensively, and in my experience it's heavily discouraged.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer

Geop posted:

Honestly Geop, you pulled poo poo off in that DkS LP I never even thought was possible. Once you get into a groove you're like some kinda Dark Souls savant.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Sum Gai posted:

The game throws a bunch of other obstacles in your way- you have less stamina, enemies both hit harder than they did in Dark Souls and track you better, healing's slower and weaker, you can't turn as far in the middle of a combo, and so on. I'm not really sure where in all that it conditions you to play offensively, and in my experience it's heavily discouraged.

On the other hand, healing in this game isn't a finite resource like in the first. The first game was balanced around each area allowing you to have a certain number of mistakes you can make before you hit the next bonfire. This game is balanced more around each individual combat encounter and your skill on dodging and weaving between them and getting in hits while you can, using lifegems to recover when you need to. It doesn't encourage offensive play in comparison to Bloodborne where you can regain any health you lose if you're quick and aggressive enough, but it absolutely does encourage more offensive play than the first game did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

There are a few things that have already been discussed earlier in the thread that shows how DS2 encourages offensive play much better than the previous 2 games. There's the general lack of shields in the beginning classes (I believe a total of 1 class gets one?), the introduction of power-stancing (I don't remember if there's a dev note about it, in which case this doesn't really count but the dual swordsman at least suggests that dual-wielding is viable), and the fact that the first big enemy of the game, which is only slightly off the beaten path, not only destroys stamina but has grab moves that discourage shield use. If you want to prove yourself against the ogre, you will have to learn how to dodge through attacks.

This game is also the start of something brought up in the HBomberguy video, in which you can't always get away by just being out of range (though sometimes you can), because certain enemies, like that starting ogre and the ironclad knights, advance before attacking if you are just out of range. It's not a universal design decision but it's notable, especially since those 2 enemies were specifically shown off in promotional material due to the ways that they reacted to common Souls tactics.

• Locked thread