Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

Pilsner posted:

Why is my loving Chrome title bar now grey, making it almost impossible to whether or not the window is active or not? Previously it was blue.

flat style bullshit :ssj:

Might be the new material layout, can turn it off in chrome://flags

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

I have the new material layout and my active title bar is the same color as other title bars.

If he has Windows 10, he might have colored title bars turned off.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Cugel the Clever posted:

I maintain that no one who actually knows how to use a computer accidentally wiped an entered form on hitting backspace after doing it accidentally once or twice. The removal of the hotkey is all about holding the inexperienced user's hand so they don't walk themselves off a cliff. Which I don't have a problem with, except for the failure to give competent users a native fallback. Is it that hard to let the user customize?
Me and my computer use since 1977 strongly disagree with you. It's not about conscious thought, it's about decades of finger training, to the point that the fingers operate much faster than the conscious brain. This happened to me at least once a month, and it's not because I've thought "Aha, a backspace would be okay!" It's because, without my noticing, the cursor has drifted to a zone where backspace changes meaning from "erase this" to "back".

"I don't have this problem" doesn't translate to "Nobody competent has this problem".

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Yeah I've totally done it more than once and I am old, gently caress that shortcut

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Rusty! posted:

Might be the new material layout, can turn it off in chrome://flags

dont be mean to me posted:

I have the new material layout and my active title bar is the same color as other title bars.

If he has Windows 10, he might have colored title bars turned off.

Windows 7, thanks for the tips, turning off the Material flag did the trick. :)

I'm one of those people who use the Classic theme on Windows 7 and disable everything fancy and modern (basically rockin' the Windows 95 look), so maybe that's why it suddenly messed up after updating and relaunching Chrome.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

So here's a complaint.

Chrome/Chromecast thingy lets you cast a tab to Hangouts.

This idea is super awesome because you can share a webpage to someone over Hangouts and talk about the page or whatever.

The stupid thing is that you have to set up a Calendar event wherein you invite everyone who is going to participate in the casted hangout tab thingamabob.

What the gently caress? Why can't I just select the Cast button in Chrome and cast to one of my contacts?

Google...always making things weird and complicated.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Thermopyle posted:

So here's a complaint.

Chrome/Chromecast thingy lets you cast a tab to Hangouts.

This idea is super awesome because you can share a webpage to someone over Hangouts and talk about the page or whatever.

The stupid thing is that you have to set up a Calendar event wherein you invite everyone who is going to participate in the casted hangout tab thingamabob.

What the gently caress? Why can't I just select the Cast button in Chrome and cast to one of my contacts?

Google...always making things weird and complicated.

:google: in the form of :dice:

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

After Windows updated yesterday I've had trouble with Chrome (and only Chrome) mashing Swedish characters together. It looks like this:

I've cleared my browser cache completely, tried without extensions enabled, messed around with ClearType settings among other things and of course rebooted, but the problem persists. Any idea what might cause it?

Fake edit: I tried typing åäö here in the reply window and it looks fine, so I guess it's limited to certain websites (Facebook is where I first noticed it but it happens elsewhere, too). That makes it even stranger. I've also checked on my phone as well as my other computer, both running Chrome, and the issue isn't present there.

Gizmo Chicken
Feb 17, 2011

Yep.
I can't sign in to Youtube anymore on Chrome. It just takes me to youtube.com/oops and doesn't actually list an error. I've tried disabling all my extensions and deleting cache and cookies. It works on a guest account and on all other browsers, but not on my main account. Is there anything else I can try to get it working again?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Gizmo Chicken posted:

I can't sign in to Youtube anymore on Chrome. It just takes me to youtube.com/oops and doesn't actually list an error. I've tried disabling all my extensions and deleting cache and cookies. It works on a guest account and on all other browsers, but not on my main account. Is there anything else I can try to get it working again?

Try making a new profile.

Gizmo Chicken
Feb 17, 2011

Yep.

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Try making a new profile.

Ah ha. This worked. Thanks much!

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGsDWRxfjTk&t=3396s

Anyone got any info or confirmation on this?

Apparently, both Firefox and Chrome write their respective recovery sessions every 15 seconds. Firefox supposedly does 10GB a day and this will eventually kill an SSD faster than normal unless you tweak the settings.

Crossposting from the SSD and Firefox threads, apparently Firefox and Chrome are the main ones that do this? Chrome supposedly does 1GB per hour.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
You can write 100 GiB/day to an 850 Evo and it'll last 5 years for the 256. 9 years for the 500. So I wouldn't really worry about it much even if so.

We're basically at the point that consumer level drives will be considered too small to care, or too cheap to replace to care, by the time they wear out in a main system.

DemonMage fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Oct 11, 2016

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
Chrome 54 finally supports VP9 hardware acceleration (the youtube video standard) so you can turn off h264ify if you have a GTX 950/960, Pascal or Polaris card.
I think Intel is adding the hardware to their upcoming Kaby Lake CPUs, too.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

The BroadcastChannel feature seems neat but can also be super spooky if like all adverts across all your tabs suddenly become synchronized.

lost my retainer
Oct 28, 2002

Blow me
Is there an easy way to download audio from youtube videos as MP3 ? It's for a friend who's bad with computers, I can set it up but daily use has to be as idiot proof as possible.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I connected my laptop to a projector today, and after disconnecting, all my tabs in Chrome would only refresh as blank white pages. I restarted it and now the resolution is all messed up. Only in Chrome, everything else on my laptop is normal. The giant tabs and text are annoying the hell out of me and I can't seem to find a way to fix it. I uninstalled it and reinstalled it, and searched for several solutions which did nothing, such as disabling display scaling in compatibility properties. I have zoom on the forums set to 90% to make it look normal again. Anyone have any idea how to fix it, or change the resolution within Chrome?

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...

lost my retainer posted:

Is there an easy way to download audio from youtube videos as MP3 ? It's for a friend who's bad with computers, I can set it up but daily use has to be as idiot proof as possible.

http://peggo.tv/

Is one of the places YouTube Center offers to get mp3 audio, and seems dead simple to use from loving with it for a second. (TamperMonkey +) YouTube Center itself has an audio download option, but defaults to m4a. It just adds a download link under the channel info. If you select a mp3 provider it basically just auto fills in the youtube url for you.

lost my retainer
Oct 28, 2002

Blow me

Looking good, thanks !

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
I guess this is a good a place as any to ask, since it's Chrome extension related:

Anyone else have issues with the newest version of the Hangouts extension (not app, just extension) making "phantom" notifications in the taskbar icon?

Like this:

But there's no message. It does this all the loving time. Typically a few minutes after the last real new message, it'll look like that, and no new messages when I open it. Sometimes it won't do it again until another new message comes in, then after I read the new one it'll again flash a few minute later...a few times I've had it flash several times over the course of an hour or so with no new messages at all.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

All i know is its not just hangouts its axwin 10 issue from HELL

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

DrBouvenstein posted:

I guess this is a good a place as any to ask, since it's Chrome extension related:

Anyone else have issues with the newest version of the Hangouts extension (not app, just extension) making "phantom" notifications in the taskbar icon?

Like this:

But there's no message. It does this all the loving time. Typically a few minutes after the last real new message, it'll look like that, and no new messages when I open it. Sometimes it won't do it again until another new message comes in, then after I read the new one it'll again flash a few minute later...a few times I've had it flash several times over the course of an hour or so with no new messages at all.

Yes, this happens to me regularly. Additionally, sometimes I'll be watching a video fullscreen and Hangouts appears to relaunch and pop to the front. No reason, no new message. Really annoying.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
A day or two ago Chrome started dropping frames at the beginning of every sizeable animated gif, where the first loop would be half unloaded/black boxes and the second loop would be fine. Is this happening to anyone else or am I going crazy/have some other problem? I'm just using stable Chrome with uBlock as my only non-Google extension.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

A day or two ago Chrome started dropping frames at the beginning of every sizeable animated gif, where the first loop would be half unloaded/black boxes and the second loop would be fine. Is this happening to anyone else or am I going crazy/have some other problem? I'm just using stable Chrome with uBlock as my only non-Google extension.

Did you also update your Nvidia drivers lately? I believe that was a known issue in one of the latest updates.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I fired up Chrome this morning and every was suddenly 20% larger, both in the UI and in the sites I visit. I know how to scale page sizes up/down but how the heck do I scale the UI?

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Hello. I recently lost my Chromebook. Is there anyway I can track the unit down? It doesn't seem to have been logged into anything according to my Device activity & notifications in Google. I assume that if the unit has been Powerwashed, and the log into their account, it won't notify me?

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Did you also update your Nvidia drivers lately? I believe that was a known issue in one of the latest updates.

Same thing happened to me, and it was also happening during the first few seconds of a youtube video. I ended up disabling hardware acceleration and it hasn't happened since. Others have rolled back their nVidia driver to an earlier build.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing
I have the same nvidia issue and updating to chrome beta channel fixed it. It's probably a combination of issues.

Tugboat Willy
Jun 9, 2004

I'm having the same problem. Tried different Nvidia drivers but it still happens. The only thing that fixes it so far is disabling hardware acceleration but that makes videos look like crap or could just be me.

edit: Beta version of Chrome does indeed fix it.

Tugboat Willy fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Oct 28, 2016

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

obi_ant posted:

Hello. I recently lost my Chromebook. Is there anyway I can track the unit down? It doesn't seem to have been logged into anything according to my Device activity & notifications in Google. I assume that if the unit has been Powerwashed, and the log into their account, it won't notify me?

I don't think you can track it down. You'd only receive a notification if someone tried to sign in to your account from a new system, and since they probably won't be able to guess your password at least your data are safe. Yes, if they Powerwash it you won't get a notification.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Atomizer posted:

I don't think you can track it down. You'd only receive a notification if someone tried to sign in to your account from a new system, and since they probably won't be able to guess your password at least your data are safe. Yes, if they Powerwash it you won't get a notification.

Well that sucks. I guess I'm out of luck. If I needed to file a police report, how would I go about getting a serial number?

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Is anyone getting some weird artifacting when trying to load html5 video or anything? Youtube seems to be fine except for certain videos?

Like when this loads in for the first time, the top half of it is all black
link

Tugboat Willy
Jun 9, 2004

Away all Goats posted:

Is anyone getting some weird artifacting when trying to load html5 video or anything? Youtube seems to be fine except for certain videos?

Like when this loads in for the first time, the top half of it is all black
link
Chrome beta or turning off hardware acceleration in Chrome fixes it.

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!
Came to this thread to see if anybody else was having issues with the artifacts in gifv's. I tried updating my nvidia drivers (even though I'm sure it's a chrome issue) and it changed nothing. At least it's not just me.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

ILikeVoltron posted:

Came to this thread to see if anybody else was having issues with the artifacts in gifv's. I tried updating my nvidia drivers (even though I'm sure it's a chrome issue) and it changed nothing. At least it's not just me.

I tried rolling back drivers (because Nvidia handling WDDM 2.1 SORT OF okay managed to shock people and they still dropped at least one ball other GPU designers didn't) and it didn't really help; might as well keep them up to date.

It is, in fact, a Chrome issue. There's a fix in advance channels.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

obi_ant posted:

Well that sucks. I guess I'm out of luck. If I needed to file a police report, how would I go about getting a serial number?

Do you still have the box it came in? There might be a label on it with S/N and all the other information that's on the laptop itself.

Quill
Jan 19, 2004

ILikeVoltron posted:

I have the same problem. Also, trying to watch anything on Youtube makes the browser lock up and crash half the time.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

All of a sudden I cant send any messages in the hangouts extension, everything just fails with 'message not delivered'

Any ideas where to start troubleshooting?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
why are fonts suddenly all huge?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

So Youtube freezes for around 5 seconds almost every time I go there. I know it's because of uBlock Origin but I don't know how to fix it. I think it has something to do with loading the subscription list because if I log out of my Youtube account then it doesn't freeze anymore. I removed uBLock Origin and tried Adblock Plus instead and the same thing happens.