Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Dr. Killjoy posted:

Sam Brownback blames his state's problems on Democrats, all three of them, so yeah this could work.

He blames it on activist Judges actually. Thankfully all the KS Supreme Court Judges were voted to be retained so that was pretty awesome.

I always laugh at the "Look how much land the Republican won!" I prefer the 538 map that shows each state weighted by Electoral Votes

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Thunder rolled. It rolled a six.
What I see is a map that shows that Trump lost virtually every major population center, and pretty much every part of America that has any semblance of diversity.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer
empty land doesn't vote

If I never see another electoral college map it will be too soon

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Ahh yes, square footage equals opinion

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

everything not from garbage media will soon count as liberal lies to anyone posting those smugly, but here's a simple article with good pictures (in case anyone has a curious or confused family member):

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/politics/2016-election/how-election-maps-lie/

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
I feel like this thread will be robbed if I don't post this. The source of racism is government intervention, you see.

terri also posted pictures of his kids, 3 years and younger, in "Bush Reagan '84" shirts with the caption "the good old times" This dude is like 35.

Aeka 2.0 fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Nov 10, 2016

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I think she has a legit mental disorder. She's had some other things diagnosed in the past, but it seems to get worse as she ages. I live hundreds of miles away and my dad was out of town for business in the deep woods of PA without cel reception. My brother informed me she spent yesterday crying hysterically, locking herself in her room, or acting cold and not acknowledging anyone like she was angry. I hope my dad takes care of the situation when he gets home. One of the reasons I live hundreds of miles away is to not be near her.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Its just not an election with a "Look how many more counties Republicans won!"

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Lol what is population density anyway. Obviously there's more red than blue and all counties are equally homogeneous in population. Checkmate libs.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I haven't talked to my crazy trump supporting dad. We were never on great terms without politics but we're ok when we ignore them. Which we have until he said something horribly racist, I called him
On it and I got a "you know who the real racist is, Obama!"

This time though...well I might have to skip the weekly phone call and just be glad he's living near LA for work which I'm sure is driving him crazy

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

We've come full circle.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Goddamn the worst thing about that picture is the JPEG artifacting.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

He voted for Stein, lmao.

ChristopherRobin
Feb 27, 2011

Corgis with attitude.

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

I want to know why everyone keeps assuming the people protesting didn't vote.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

ChristopherRobin posted:

With this guy I think it's just deflection.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

ChristopherRobin posted:

Or how anyone who voted for Clinton would be so pro-Hillary that they'd "literally attempt to burn down a city". All those rowdy DLC and DNC hooligans!!!

Perhaps there was no serious attempt to literally burn down cities, but protesters rightly fear and expect to have rollbacks to a Bush-style laissez faire DOJ with regard to civil rights protections and enforcement.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Only red votes count.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

God drat it why are liberals now posting "abolish the electoral college" memes on Facebook.

We loving lost, deal with it. Go back to the drawing board and come back in 4 years for what remains of America.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Vargatron posted:

"abolish the electoral college"

I see that every 4 years. Goons were terrible about it in elections past.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
The national popular vote interstate compact has been an effort for decades. This isn't a new movement.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus
Liberals used to be so chill. What happened?

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

It's not as if there was a massive federal court case where a state said that stopping blacks from voting was the entire point of a law, you know?

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

Vargatron posted:

God drat it why are liberals now posting "abolish the electoral college" memes on Facebook.

We loving lost, deal with it. Go back to the drawing board and come back in 4 years for what remains of America.

To be fair, it has an error rate of like 7% and is an archaic system that does need to be changed, but it's not like they cared when it was them in power (full disclosure, I'm a dirty lib that voted Hillary, "them" just refers to the people complaining about it). What drives me nuts are all the dems that are now posting "BUT THE ELECTORS COULD ALWAYS NOT VOTE FOR TRUMP, WE CAN STILL WIN!" stuff. Like, goddamn, stop crying about the loss and start working to mitigate the damage. All these liberals that spent the last 8 years complaining about all the ridiculous unprecedented things Republicans did to obstruct are now more than willing to advocate using the same poo poo now, which will only make those types of tactics worse and more common. I have people saying that we should just block every Trump SCOTUS nominee for the entire presidency without any regard for what kind of precedent that would set, or people that couldn't believe the audacity at the Republicans saying "heck, maybe we just just never replace Scalia if we don't get our way, who needs 9 justices?" who are now totally fine with that exact same sentiment.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Vargatron posted:

Hillary won the popular vote.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Not to be a nerd scruff but...

Personally I finally registered as a democrat, and I'm signing up to do some volunteer work at planned parenthood, and definitely help out come the midterms

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Vargatron posted:

Why not get rid of the EC? I don't think it's priority number one, and it obviously wouldn't be retroactive, but the EC has defied the popular vote twice in sixteen years and forces candidates to focus on a handful of swing states. We'd probably be better off without it.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Vargatron posted:

This is the fifth time in US history (and the second time in less than 20 years) that the popular vote was overridden by the EC. One was too many.

Keeshhound fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Nov 11, 2016

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

ratbert90 posted:

Hillary won the popular vote.

But then she lost the popular vote in the primaries so she can't really call it a foul either.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Zephyrine posted:

But then she lost the popular vote in the primaries so she can't really call it a foul either.

Do you have trouble with numbers?

16m > 13m

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

Keeshhound posted:

Do you have trouble with numbers?

16m > 13m

Fine I'm jesting.

The point was that there was a lot of super delegate stuff and popular votes being tossed in favour of exactly the kind of system that the main election employs.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Zephyrine posted:

Fine I'm jesting.

The point was that there was a lot of super delegate stuff and popular votes being tossed in favour of exactly the kind of system that the main election employs.

I'm willing to be called-out if I'm dead-wrong on this, but it was my understanding that Superdelegates did not tip the scales during the primaries: Clinton would have won the nomination even if the Superdelegates allocated themselves proportionally to the share of the vote held by either candidate at the time of the convention.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

They are really going All In on this

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Vargatron posted:

yeah "Just deal" with donald trump

Vaishino
Nov 14, 2003

He'd like to come and meet us
But he thinks he'd blow our minds
"We got through Reagan, we'll get through Trump" they say, forgetting about the 30,000 dead from AIDS.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Vaishino posted:

"We got through Reagan, we'll get through Trump" they say, forgetting about the 30,000 dead from AIDS.

I get what you're saying, I really do, but what else do we have to hang on to? We need something to hold out hope for. This is an honest question: what should people say to reassure each other?

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back

muike posted:

yeah "Just deal" with donald trump

Well...yeah? What else can you do? He's been voted into office so there's not much else you can do unless your talking full scale revolution

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Jurgan posted:

I get what you're saying, I really do, but what else do we have to hang on to? We need something to hold out hope for. This is an honest question: what should people say to reassure each other?

Burn the system down and murder all of the white people?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
organize, protest, support organizations that help marginalized groups. i realize that's not really the most inspiring answer but i think more people are ready to actually do these things now.

and a good first step would be: don't loving donate to rebuild destroyed GOP offices

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Jurgan posted:

If you fight them at every turn you can prevent them from dealing as much irreparable damage to the country.

I mean, that's literally what conservatives have been advocating all this time, under the premise that Obamacare and legalized same-sex marriage is "irreparable damage to the country"