Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
http://arkhamdb.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Snagged a copy at my FLGS today, just as they were unpacking it. Looking forward to playing it tonight.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Sigh, looks like no Arkham for me for a while. I convinced myself to find a local copy today and then have the full playsets when my pre-ordered copy arrives next week. But most of the shops I called didn't even know what I was talking about much less have AH LCG in stock.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
My FLGS had Arkham in stock...but the guy working said that "he doesn't do invoices, so it's still packed up in a box". He apparently had already turned away another person looking for it.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I was able to find three stores in my area that are getting Arkham Horror in tomorrow. If I manage to snag an extra copy, I might put it up on SA Mart (or is this thread okay for board game deals?) so some lucky goon can have it before Christmas.

I want to know where the hell you people who got the game last night or today are living, do you actually live inside Fantasy Flight's US distribution center? I can't get them until tomorrow, and that's from The War Store's main store. Don't mind me, I'm just salty my cable's being worked on and I can't play a solitaire card game while I can't do work.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
FFG recently switched to a strict street dating system. A lot of their stuff shows up in stores a couple days I'm advance now.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Here in Raleigh NC my FLGS got them yesterday and put them out today.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

I tried calling a couple places today and they were all like "nope, dunno about no card games, but we have an arkham horror in stock, that'll be $59.99. We also have the king in yellow, the black goat in the woods, the..."

theroachman
Sep 1, 2006

You're never fully dressed without a smile...

BJPaskoff posted:

I was able to find three stores in my area that are getting Arkham Horror in tomorrow. If I manage to snag an extra copy, I might put it up on SA Mart (or is this thread okay for board game deals?) so some lucky goon can have it before Christmas.

I want to know where the hell you people who got the game last night or today are living, do you actually live inside Fantasy Flight's US distribution center? I can't get them until tomorrow, and that's from The War Store's main store. Don't mind me, I'm just salty my cable's being worked on and I can't play a solitaire card game while I can't do work.

There's a guy over here in Belgium who runs an online game store from his attic and he gets GMT and FFG games shipped by the containerload. Usually has stuff just before or on release date and at unbeatable prices. It's fairly crazy how much turnover he has, he spends most of his evenings packaging orders, probably at least a hundred items sold per week. I'm picking up my AH core there tomorrow, for 32.95€

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Hauki posted:

I tried calling a couple places today and they were all like "nope, dunno about no card games, but we have an arkham horror in stock, that'll be $59.99. We also have the king in yellow, the black goat in the woods, the..."

Sounds about right. My LGS (the manager of which is a good friend of mine that I game with) employees had zero idea that it was even a thing, and they're all big Arkham Horror fans.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

I was able to pre-order a copy, so at least something good happened yesterday... :smith:

Meanwhile, it's Battle of the Trident weekend! All y'all are voting Blue Fork, right?

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Pinwiz11 posted:

I was able to pre-order a copy, so at least something good happened yesterday... :smith:

Meanwhile, it's Battle of the Trident weekend! All y'all are voting Blue Fork, right?

The place in NYC is doing a draft, which doesn't interest me yet. They are doing a constructed tournament at the end of the month, and I'll most likely be bringing my Targ Summer deck.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
So AHLCG requires something insane like 4 core boxes to cover 4 players.

There's 5 categories, with each of the five characters covering 2 of them. Most player cards are singleton in the core set, with deck able to contain 2 of each card
Am I misunderstanding this?

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Having just played a little: You don't really need two copies of your investigator's class specific cards. With the core set, you pretty much want every single one of them, plus almost every single one of the secondary class cards. If you're playing solo especially, you want a wide range to be able to pull each skill test effectively.

So with two players, as long as you pick investigators with no crossover, there isn't much of an issue, and there are plenty of neutral cards that you won't run into problems since different investigators are good at different things. And as you move through a campaign, you'll level up some of your class cards or get better things that other classes simply cannot use.

With four, you do definitely need 2 core sets because you simply won't be able to build the decks you need otherwise, it'll be impossible.

But you definitely don't need 4 core sets. If you're doing a campaign with four people, everyone has to be a different investigator anyway and at most you'll only have one person overlapping with you. Since you'll have two sets, that won't be an issue.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

alg posted:

Here in Raleigh NC my FLGS got them yesterday and put them out today.

What's your FLGS? I'm heading up to Atomic Empire tomorrow in hopes that they have one.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

COOL CORN posted:

What's your FLGS? I'm heading up to Atomic Empire tomorrow in hopes that they have one.

Gamer's Armory. I would call AE before you make the drive.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer
We're doing a Game of Thrones demo event at a store next Saturday. We've shown people how to play at another store and it's gotten people interested. It's not like a formal event, just we'll be there and be showing off the game. Any tips on teaching people? We've got the store manger's core sets x3 to mess with, any recommendations for demo decks? The "take all the faction cards from two factions and mash them together with some neutrals" worked well to teach us, but is there another way anyone would recommend?

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Buncha LGS's not doing their jerbs.

All FFG products have a strict Thursday NA release date now.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Wasn't today Thursday

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

alg posted:

Wasn't today Thursday

The conversation had been going since yesterday. I think someone said they had picked it up yesterday.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

So I stopped by one of the stores anyway to pick up some other stuff and the person I spoke to when I called to just didn't have a clue I guess. Arkham LCG was right there on the new arrivals shelf. Guy who rang me up was like "yeah, we got maybe 15 cores yesterday and we're almost out already, lucky you stopped in when you did." From what he said, I guess I could've gone out and bought it yesterday but oh well.

Anyway, I played through the first mission with Roland, barely won because I pushed through Acts 1 & 2 way too quickly and wasn't remotely prepared for the dude at the end. Minor spoilers:
I'd lost my gun to a treachery the turn before and there was no way I could evade him (although I tried with a +2 agility check, still failed), so I had to take an attack of opportunity to move to the parlor and pick up Lita who at least kept me from dying instantly from mental damage on the enemy phase. The following turn I ended up frantically making 3 attacks with a knife & easily making every one, ending it then & there. Chose to burn everything to the ground because gently caress that dude.
Leaving for a longass work trip tomorrow and debating taking it with me, but I'm not sure how much time I'll have to dick around in my hotel room and play or if I actually want to blow through all 3 core set missions right away either.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I just finished the second mission.

It's a lot of fun. FFG is always really good about stretching the mechanics of their game to make things interesting. Turning over the first agenda card and seeing that 6th cultist on the other side was a funny surprise. I think I also got my absolute luckiest attack I will ever get in this game. I used the shotgun and ended up doing 6 damage in one turn since I pulled Roland's special ability out of the chaos bag, which gave me 10 attack to the hunter's 4. I had added a savage blow to the attack, so since the shotgun adds damage per difference, it just killed him.

Roland can be a real crazy powerhouse with weapons, and that extra ability to get a clue for every enemy he kills per round makes attacking an actual good idea.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

theroachman posted:

There's a guy over here in Belgium who runs an online game store from his attic and he gets GMT and FFG games shipped by the containerload. Usually has stuff just before or on release date and at unbeatable prices. It's fairly crazy how much turnover he has, he spends most of his evenings packaging orders, probably at least a hundred items sold per week. I'm picking up my AH core there tomorrow, for 32.95€

Would you mind posting the link to that shop?

theroachman
Sep 1, 2006

http://boardgamegeneral.eu

Also boardgamegeneral on BGG store.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Looks good.

Thanks

theroachman
Sep 1, 2006

Might I inquire where you are hailing from?

vvvv You're welcome :)

theroachman fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Nov 11, 2016

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Soest in Germany.

Was asking cause Belgium isn't that far off and shipping should be reasonable.

The shop has an interesting selction of Kickstarter games and such. I might buy some stuff there in the near future.

So thanks again :)

I AM CARVALLO
Apr 19, 2007

Head Kicker GOTY

PJOmega posted:

So AHLCG requires something insane like 4 core boxes to cover 4 players.

There's 5 categories, with each of the five characters covering 2 of them. Most player cards are singleton in the core set, with deck able to contain 2 of each card
Am I misunderstanding this?

You are only required to have 2 cores to play with 4 people. If you want to build optimal decks for 4 people then you would want 4 cores.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Well, Third scenario, I'm a horrible monster and sacrificed my follower lady because I was at deaths door and didn't want get murdered. Reading the resolution, it seems like they may revisit that campaign down the line, since there are some notes they have you write down that may affect things later.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

First game. Playing as Roland. Got "Frozen in Fear" from the encounter deck, which makes you spend an extra action the first time you move/fight/evade each round.

Had it for most of the game, couldn't do much because of it. Finally get rid of it.

Next draw from the encounter deck: Frozen in Fear. Then I went crazy the next turn, and my guy was out of the game.

A++ Would Investigate Again

Max
Nov 30, 2002

So, trip report on Roland, I feel like he would be a better character in a team rather than on his own. He has such a low flee rating that you pretty much have to just kill everything he encounters or take the attack of opportunity penalty to escape.

I'm going to go through the campaign again with one of the magic users and see how that goes. Though I am now quickly seeing one of the shortcomings of solo play: Wasting actions on moving to new locations. In a group you wouldn't have to spend so much time moving from place to place and could streamline the clue gathering experience. On your own, you have to really do one room at a time and will always use an action to move because of it.

This is especially frustrating on the second scenario out of the core box.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I have a feeling if I play solo, I'll be using two characters.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Can anyone give a rundown of the characters (I.E. Roland is good at fighting with weapons, etc). I'm eager to pick up my copy but even CSI got shorted big time.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Roland is absolutely a fighter. His ability to gain clues when he kills things makes him pretty handy, since his investigative ability is pretty meh. Not bad, but not good enough to reliably investigate well.

I was going to really go through and figure out who does what well when I got home. I can post a trip report when I do.

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:

theroachman posted:

Care to share the site with me? Cheers!

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

the panacea posted:

Care to share the site with me? Cheers!

http://boardgamegeneral.eu

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer
Just got home with my copy of Arkham. Super pumped to play this game. The expansions are coming out soon right? Like December?

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Bottom Liner posted:

Can anyone give a rundown of the characters (I.E. Roland is good at fighting with weapons, etc). I'm eager to pick up my copy but even CSI got shorted big time.

So far I think of Roland as kinda like Legolas from LotR core in that he makes progress by fighting things, something that otherwise seems like a(n admittedly sometimes necessary) waste of time in AH.

Wendy seems interesting, she gets a bunch of events and her unique item lets her play them from the discard. The expensive ally is pretty cool too, an extra action per turn. She's pretty bad at combat without a good weapon, but at least with the suggested starter she seems to have a lot of ways to manipulate skill checks before and after the fact which is cool. She also gets decent agility + a few other ways to evade enemies which is honestly probably better than actually fighting them much of the time. I may just keep rerunning the first mission with each char to get a feel for them, but those are the only two I've played so far.

On that note, I ran through mission 1 again with Roland & Wendy together this time. I think I may find myself playing two-handed anyway as it allows you to split up & multitask as well as focus on specific things that they might each be better equipped to handle, it was easier to let Wendy handle most of the investigation checks and Roland engage/fight most of the enemies.

I still barely won, I may have been wrong when I said I took on act 3 too quickly before. This time I took my time, filled out my hand & assets a bit in preparation, but got some extra doom from treacheries and popped into the 3rd agenda the same turn the priest spawned. Nearly got overwhelmed by drawing the extra ghoul plus the forced movement/engagement from some leftovers. I think I straight up would have lost if I didn't topdeck Roland's dynamite event, nearly killed both characters by using it but it let me easily clear the smaller stuff in the room and then focus on the priest, finishing with a discarded beat cop.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

The game absolutely punishes you for taking your time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Max posted:

The game absolutely punishes you for taking your time.

Yeah for sure. Speaking of punishing, has anyone tried the harder chaos bag distributions yet? I'm not sure I want to, I feel like I'm already struggling to consistently make skill checks with the starter decks.