Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feral Integral
Jun 6, 2006

YOSPOS

NewForumSoftware posted:

Yeah I mean this is great and all and I am behind your plan 100% but it's not going to stop or slow down climate change. What you're talking about is basically putting civilization on overdrive.

The only person shutting down and removing themselves from the conversation is you.

I agree that stopping climate change is a noble goal, it's just that there's no way to stop it so pretending like we can is kind of stupid.

Nah pretty much the nuclear energy shift and reduction in animal agriculture would do it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

Feral Integral posted:

Nah pretty much the nuclear energy shift and reduction in animal agriculture would do it

Now how do you plan to implement that on a global scale given the political realities we face today?

Also, do you think the carbon in the atmosphere today will stop warming the atmosphere if we build nuclear plants? Because we already have more than enough in the atmosphere to start melting greenland and antarctica, not to mention the arctic. Any plan that doesn't involve carbon capture on a major scale(which doesn't exist in reality, so good luck) has no hope of stopping anything. You might be able to make the argument they could slow it down, but Obama sure didn't.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
NewForumSoftware,

your redtext really says it all and I'm pretty sure your AV is actually you.

Please stop derailing discussion on how to make climate change be less catastrophic than it could be by abusing the climate change thread as self-medication instead of taking anti-depressants.

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

blowfish posted:

Please stop derailing discussion on how to make climate change be less catastrophic than it could be

that's actually exactly what I'm talking about, sorry I'm not waiting for politicians to save us

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

NewForumSoftware posted:

that's actually exactly what I'm talking about, sorry I'm not waiting for politicians to save us

BOOTSTRAPS! :bahgawd:

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

blowfish posted:

BOOTSTRAPS! :bahgawd:

Maybe you should make a thread called "Climate Change: Who's saving us?"

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

What do you think science teachers in middle and high schools should be telling students about climate change?

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Arglebargle III posted:

What do you think science teachers in middle and high schools should be telling students about climate change?

nsf posted:

go live in a farmhouse then drink bleach

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Climate change can't be stopped, but millions, maybe billions, of lives are still at stake. When I talk about or think about "acting on climate change" I'm not thinking about stopping it, I'm thinking about how to adapt human civilization to best weather the storm and minimize the chaos and suffering. A future where India and china can't feed them selves and they become failed states is not a future that's good for anyone on earth. Hundreds of millions of people migrating to more stable countries is going to make Europe's reaction to syrian refugees look humane. There's going to be massacres, genocides, wars, potentially nuclear wars. This is what I'd like to best avoid. The climate is changing, we hosed up bad, but there's still hope for survival, there's still hope to avoid or minimize the worst horrors to come.

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

Arglebargle III posted:

The mechanics of how it works, why its happening and maybe some very broad stuff about the impacts. Kids shouldn't be burdened with this knowledge given the current state of affairs. Once they're older I'd explain that most of the media circus over preventing this stuff is way overblown, we've never done anything meaningful, never will, and couldn't even if we tried.

Baronjutter posted:

There's going to be massacres, genocides, wars, potentially nuclear wars. This is what I'd like to best avoid.

I just don't see how anything offered as a solution by anyone does anything to stop this. The newest hailed "step in the right direction" is signing a plan to remove the cheapest HFC from use in India. How does that even begin to deal with things on the macroeconomic scale the sorts of consequences you're talking about operate on.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Yawn.

Telephones
Apr 28, 2013
So how soon is the first world hosed? Until we see food shortages and violence? 2025? 2030?

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Telephones posted:

So how soon is the first world hosed? Until we see food shortages and violence? 2025? 2030?

Probably not within our lifetime, because we have the wealth and technological base to support our quite small populations easily, and are in climates which won't start seeing agricultural hard impacts for some time.

Whether these nations will survive the internal strife caused by the inevitable decision to enforce borders with heavy weaponry, and a thermonuclear war with China and India as major players, is the better question.

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

Telephones posted:

Canonically? 2060.

Guess I pull out of my rear end? ...2060 actually sounds kind of good, yeah.

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

Rime posted:

Probably not within our lifetime, because we have the wealth and technological base to support our quite small populations easily, and are in climates which won't start seeing agricultural hard impacts for some time.

Uhh do you think the people in lower latitudes are just going to die peacefully? Also our climates are seeing agricultural impacts today and it's hard to imagine agriculture looking anything like it does now in 20 years.

Telephones posted:

This stuff is already happening. Just imagine that it never gets better and only gets worse. Honestly we're already there.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

The US produces an absurd amount of food and could produce significantly more, if you are a millenial American the worst you'll face is the Handi-Nurse Mk. II medical automaton marking you down as an unsalvageable and alerting an orderly to pull your feeding tube three years after you've turned into a dementia-addled vegetable.

As for the lower latitudes, none of them have any force projection capability so they'll get awfully ornery but die on their own soil in the end.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

Potential BFF posted:

The US produces an absurd amount of food and could produce significantly more, if you are a millenial American the worst you'll face is the Handi-Nurse Mk. II medical automaton marking you down as an unsalvageable and alerting an orderly to pull your feeding tube three years after you've turned into a dementia-addled vegetable.

As for the lower latitudes, none of them have any force projection capability so they'll get awfully ornery but die on their own soil in the end.

Turns out all the money the US spent on the military will be useful.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
Re: total caloric intake there's definitely enough food production domestically to buffer larger climate-change oriented issues, but everyone will have to get used to weird shortages of specific things. Remember when Limes/Avocados were hard to come by in recent years? More frequently, more diverse things will be unavailable. In a rare coincidence, NewForumSoftware is correct and this has already begun to happen.

Timeline for like, legitimate caloric deficit food supply challenges? Outside of... the roughly 40 million Americans who live this way already? I'd give it 30-40 years. Of course who knows because we'll be rocketing through more potential feedback loops thanks to the pending idiocy of the Trump administration, so it'll be even more accelerated.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

NewForumSoftware posted:

Uhh do you think the people in lower latitudes are just going to die peacefully? Also our climates are seeing agricultural impacts today and it's hard to imagine agriculture looking anything like it does now in 20 years.

This stuff is already happening. Just imagine that it never gets better and only gets worse. Honestly we're already there.

No, I stated quite bluntly that we'll end up killing them in large numbers. Because that is what humans have done throughout all of history when faced with a crisis of this nature, that is what the nations at the bottom of the food chain are already doing to their nearest competitors as things begin to break down, and that is what we will continue to do as this chain of events unfolds.

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

Rime posted:

No, I stated quite bluntly that we'll end up killing them in large numbers. Because that is what humans have done throughout all of history when faced with a crisis of this nature, that is what the nations at the bottom of the food chain are already doing to their nearest competitors as things begin to break down, and that is what we will continue to do as this chain of events unfolds.

Alright honestly I can get behind that. I still think things are going to suck in the near term more than the short term. I guess we probably won't have wars or food shortages here for a while though.

Here's to hoping global civilization collapses without a nuke going off (at least here). That's really what I'm hoping for at this point.

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Shoe do do do do do do do
Shoe do do do do do do yeah
Alex Steffen's response to the election (everybody should follow Alex Steffen on Twitter).

quote:

Dave’s likely right: 2şC is a vanished target now. But this isn’t a 2şC or bust fight. It’s a fight to limit consequences. It’s a fight for every 1/10 of a degree. If we fail to hold to 2şC, we have to fight for 2.1ş; failing that, we battle on for 2.2ş. With millennia of impacts at stake, we never get to give up, even if we end up in 4şC. For future generations, 4ş is still better than 4.1ş.

“Game over” is neither realistic nor responsible. Even the most catastrophic outcomes humanity aren’t the apocalypse — the end of the future itself — they’re just appalling failure and tragedy. We have a duty to people who will live after those failures.

The world won’t end, even if we lose completely. Life will go on, but people will suffer profoundly, human possibilities will be dwarfed, lives impoverished, beauty undone, achievements lost — for millennia, and sometimes forever.

(And we’ll have done all of this not to create wealth, but simply to deliver another couple decades of profit to high-carbon industries: that’s what makes this planetary crisis such a heart-rending fight. So much lost, for so little gain. It’s loving depressing, for sure.)

Better is better, however, even in a damaged world. Even after we’ve missed 2şC, our fundamental fight does not change. Until we get to zero emissions, that will remain our goal, in every scenario. Disastrous Trump administration? Get to zero carbon, as soon as we can. Breakdown in global climate agreements? Get to zero carbon, as soon as we can. The Amazon burns and the tundra thaws? Get to zero carbon, as soon as we can. Our main job doesn’t change, the curves we face just keep getting steeper.

So, blowing the budget for 2şC is not game over, it’s game on. It won’t be “over” in our lifetimes. We never get to declare defeat.

We may, however, be able to declare victory.

So, how do we fight to win? How do we fight for 2.1ş in the next four years?

We must begin by understanding that the U.S. Federal government — while hugely important — is not the only game in town. And Trump will not last forever.

The key to facing the planetary crisis now is looking to other leverage points, and creating momentum that be turned into rapid action when sanity has once again returned to D.C. Those leverage points can deliver significant action even as Trump bumbles malignantly through the Oval Office.

Here are five reasons I think so:

1. International Agreements
First, there are the global inter-governmental climate agreements themselves, many of which Trump is simply unable to sabotage. They deserve our loud, enthusiastic, on-going support. Other efforts bundle the actions of cities, industries or scientists to produce global outcomes. None of these efforts demand presidential support or Senate approval. One of the most effective things we can do is to make clear that these agreements and efforts are good for the world and good for America, as often as possible.

2. The Bright Green Economy
Second, there’s the economy.

Not the economy of coal, oil, cars, cows and logging (not to mention bombs and prisons) Trump is hoping to bring back to reward his donors. I mean the much bigger, more powerful economy emerging now. The economy of solar and wind energy; dense green building in low-car cities; sustainable infrastructure; electric autonomous vehicles; clean technologies and digital efficiency breakthroughs; on-demand shared goods and awesome low-carbon lifestyles; sustainable farming and forestry… and so on and so on and so on. The economy the real-world future demands.

The new economy is already here. Within the working lifetimes of many people reading this, low-carbon business models, technologies and practices will be the norm in every industry. What’s more, low-carbon systems are in high demand around the world — like, tens of trillions of dollars-worth of demand — and meeting that demand is by far the greatest economic opportunity in a generation.

Trump can do nothing meaningful to slow that economic change, for three reasons. A) because it is driven by long-term, massive trends. B) because most of the change that is already happening is happening outside U.S. borders. C) because even within U.S. borders, the power of presidents is limited, and it is especially limited in ways to block advances in technology and design.

We owe it to ourselves and our children to do everything we can to launch the new economy into hyper-drive in the U.S. That means supporting clean economy policies and companies and fighting new high-carbon infrastructure. That means divesting from high-carbon industries and re-investing in low-carbon competitors. That means exerting professional influence and public pressure to push every business in America to prepare for a zero-carbon future.

3. Accelerated Action from States and Cities
Third, there’s Blue America. Trump takes the office having lost the popular vote, and in a country where climate action is already supported by a large majority of all Americans, and by overwhelming majorities on the West Coast.

State, regional and local governments already have enormous power to change climate policies. And in Blue America, the political will already exists for bold and decisive climate action.

States can follow in the footsteps of the California’s bold new climate action laws. California, in turn can step up its own efforts, adding serious housing development policies, strict smart growth rules, rewriting obsolete anti-development laws and encouraging a rapid shift away from auto-dependence.

Most boldly, states can implement their own carbon taxes. (I’m not going to go into the ins-and-outs of Washington State’s disastrous failure this year to pass the nation’s best carbon tax, except to say I think it actually proves the viability of state-level approaches.)

If set high enough, started soon enough and raised fast enough, state-level carbon taxes could have a transformative effect on their economies. Given that California, New York, Illinois, Colorado, Washington, Oregon, Minnesota and the New England states alone make up roughly half the U.S. economy, changing these states’ carbon prices inevitably means changing the national economy as well.

Cities and urban regions are already the epicenters of American climate action. Now it’s time for them to genuinely take the lead, and they can. A whole host of smart solutions are waiting to be implemented, right off the metaphorical shelf, from passivhaus building standards to rapid-deployment bike lane networks, eliminating parking requirements to implementing congestion charges.

By far the most important thing blue-state cities can do is the one that for the last 25 years has proven the hardest: build much, much more housing.

As I wrote recently, "Unless you’ve been completely out-of-touch with the debate on climate solutions, you probably understand that urban density is one of the best (and best-proven) climate solutions we have. People who live in dense, walkable communities use far less energy and far fewer materials than people who live in sprawling suburbs." (I wrote a whole book on the importance of cities in solving climate change, so I’m not going to rehash the arguments here.)

The only way to make denser communities is to build more housing. This, it turns out, is something we can do and need to do, because essentially every successful city in America now has a serious housing shortage. We need millions more homes, and we need them now (this is obviously a social justice question — housing costs increased by our housing shortage fall heaviest on low-income people — and an economic priority, as well as a climate solution).

If we build the millions of urban homes we need in dense corridors, served by transit and made walkable by good urban design, they will not only drop the emissions of the people living in those homes, but emissions across the whole city, even the region. In fact, building lots of new low-carbon housing is the single best climate action plan a city can have. Conversely, anti-housing policies are anti-climate.

As I say, though, for the last 25 years, building has been largely stymied by NIMBY groups and crazy planning laws. That, however, may be changing fast. I see signs that a pro-housing, YIMBY insurrection is waiting in the wings in cities across America. Advances in building construction, meanwhile, make rapid building more possible, once the political roadblocks clear.

Cities which embraced pro-housing climate policies could do much, even in the absence of national support.

4. The Carbon Bubble
Fourth, we need to recognize that we’re living in a carbon bubble. Even when Trump takes office, this will still be true.

A large part of the carbon lobby’s ability to be effective at predatory delay is based on the sense people have that the power of high-carbon companies is unchallengeable, and likely to last for a very long time. But their power is based on their valuation. Their valuations, in turn, are based largely on their ability to keep burning fossil fuels. Maintaining the perception of invulnerability is critical to maintaining their stock prices.

There is increasing recognition that high-carbon business models — from oil extraction to the building of internal-combustion-engine cars — are threatened now, and many are likely to collapse in the next decade or two.
Not just because of climate regulations and agreements around the world, but because of the increasing competitiveness of their replacements, like clean energy and electric vehicles.

There’s no long play for high-carbon companies. The faster the awareness of this economic shift spreads, the less power the carbon lobby will have. There’s some reason to believe it’s already a house of cards, and it could come down even while Trump’s in office.

5. The Future Itself
Fifth, and finally, there’s the future itself.

People need futures they can fight for. “Where there is no vision, the people perish.”

Just as importantly, envisioning a better world is the key to beginning it: we can’t build what we can’t imagine.

Darkening the future is the most powerful weapon the opposition possesses (read my piece Putting the Future Back in the Room for more). Acting as if Trump’s election is the end, and everything afterwards is a black hole of unknowable awfulness, is profoundly discouraging and dis-empowering.

But we have never been more able to imagine, portray and share better visions of what our future can be, or more capable of bring vision to reality. The planetary crisis can only be met by a vision of planetary success. Imagining success for all humanity is not something any politician can prevent or stop, unless we let him.

America needs its artists, its writers, its actors, its filmmakers, its librarians, its dancers, its teachers, its futurists, its inventors and its visionaries more now than it ever has. Everyone who kindles inspiration, supports inquiry, nourishes new ideas or works to see the world afresh has a giant job to do, starting today.

America needs a new vision of itself, after this catastrophe. Not least, there are millions of American kids who will need the powers of intellect and spirit. They’ll need to be connected with positive possibilities for the future for their emotional survival.

Let’s invite them into imagining a better world.

What We Do Tomorrow:
On climate, our task now is not to put our heads down, save what little we can, and mourn.

Our task is to raise our vision, mobilize our allies and fight for everything. This is no time for incrementalism, small steps, guilt-relieving gestures. There will be a better America, on the other side of this disaster. Our job is to begin it now. This is the time for demanding the zero carbon America we need.

If yesterday’s elections didn’t raise your expectations and accelerate your timelines, you’re not being realistic. We face the worst case scenario in our national politics. It will make every win harder, so every win must really count, achieve what’s actually needed.

But we won’t get there the way we thought. We can and should fight Trump’s efforts to undo climate progress every step of the way, including in the courts. We can and should get ready for 2018 and fight for a better Congress. We can and should fight in the courts of public opinion, demand more from our media, and organize. But in parallel to all this, we must change our strategies for success.

Climate policy and climate advocacy strategies that made sense on Monday have been irrevocably changed. This is a Permian Event for a host of ideas about how to meet the planetary crisis. The time pressures of this crisis alone make that true. Forget about a national cap-and-trade system: we need an evolutionary explosion of faster, more ambitious visions, solutions and strategies.

New strategies, though, can sometimes end up being far more successful than the old. We may find that — in supporting international efforts, driving forward a low-carbon economy, building climate solutions in our cities, intensifying pressure on the carbon bubble and envisioning the future — we have made ourselves more able to achieve powerful change in Federal policies over the long run.

At the risk of being too far ahead, I want to leave you with this thought: It may be that we’ll look back at Trump’s election and understand it was the last stand of an old, broken model — and the beginning of the massive changes that saved humanity from the planetary crisis we’d created. That giving up hope on a generation of blocked, slow, incremental Federal policies actually prepared the ground for much larger, faster changes, in the end.

Maybe climate action in America didn’t just end. Maybe it’s only just beginning.

Forever_Peace fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Nov 11, 2016

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Scientists say it could already be "game over" for climate change posted:

Scientists are now saying it might already be too late to avoid a temperature rise of up to 7.36 degrees Celsius (13.25 degrees Fahrenheit) above pre-industrial levels by 2100.

That's way above the upper limit of 4.8 degrees Celsius (8.6 degrees Fahrenheit) predicted by the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) in 2014, and to make matters worse, a new study suggests that we're underestimating just how sensitive Earth is to greenhouse gases.
Based on their results, it appears that higher CO2 levels will cause the atmosphere to heat up more quickly than previously estimated.

"Our results imply that Earth's sensitivity to variations in atmospheric CO2 increases as the climate warms," explains lead researcher Tobias Friedrich from the University of Hawaii at Manoa.

"Currently, our planet is in a warm phase – an interglacial period – and the associated increased climate sensitivity needs to be taken into account for future projections of warming induced by human activities."

link: http://www.sciencealert.com/scientists-say-it-could-already-be-game-over-for-climate-change

Mozi fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Nov 11, 2016

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Whelp, we're comically boned.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Getting a 404 for that

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God
http://www.sciencealert.com/scientists-say-it-could-already-be-game-over-for-climate-change

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

quote:

Scientists are now saying it might already be too late to avoid a temperature rise of up to 7.36 degrees Celsius (13.25 degrees Fahrenheit) above pre-industrial levels by 2100.

Isn't this a bit misleading? This doesn't seem be what the article really says.

quote:

The researchers also calculated there will be a "likely" temperature increase of between 4.78 and 7.36 degrees Celsius (8.6 and 13.25 degrees Fahrenheit) above pre-industrial levels over the next 85 years if greenhouse gas emissions continue at their current rate,.

We're probably still screwed, but I don't think anyone who believes climate change exists thinks this ought to be a given.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

ModernMajorGeneral posted:

Isn't this a bit misleading? This doesn't seem be what the article really says.

We're probably still screwed, but I don't think anyone who believes climate change exists thinks this ought to be a given.

Yeah, emissions rates are going to go up!

smoke sumthin bitch
Dec 14, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
The best part about trump winning is that well finally see some opposition to the eco-tyranny being pushed by the U.N. The peoples have spoken we don't want micro apartments we dont want to live in car free cities and we dont want to eat insects. Carbon taxes are a death sentence for the third world and trump might actually save millions of lives if he manages to sabotage the Paris agreement. This is a huge step forward for humanity.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I'm guessing, just a guess here, you are a climate change skeptic.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

smoke sumthin bitch posted:

The best part about trump winning is that well finally see some opposition to the eco-tyranny being pushed by the U.N. The peoples have spoken we don't want micro apartments we dont want to live in car free cities and we dont want to eat insects. Carbon taxes are a death sentence for the third world and trump might actually save millions of lives if he manages to sabotage the Paris agreement. This is a huge step forward for humanity.

pretty obvious troll

Uranium Phoenix
Jun 20, 2007

Boom.

The best part about trump winning is that well finally see some opposition to the eco-tyranny being pushed by the U.N. The peoples have spoken we don't want micro apartments we dont want to live in car free cities and we dont want to eat insects.
Fortunately, combating climate change and reducing emissions can be done in many different ways, so those weird things you're associating the UN with are not necessary. In fact, a great program for combating climate change could align with Trump's goals of bringing back jobs--building sustainable housing all over the US, rebuilding energy infrastructure so its more efficient (rebuilding infrastructure is already one of his stated promises), and building emission-free power plants like wind, solar, and nuclear. I'm guessing the words "sustainable" and "efficient" might have negative connotations to you, but really, that just means things like "houses that cost less to heat, so save people money" and "cheaper electricity." For "emissions free power" that means less pollution, so Americans are healthier (reducing medical costs), and it means that the US is more self-sufficient and less dependent on the whims of foreign powers and their oil and gas. All those projects would employ a lot of people.

Carbon taxes are a death sentence for the third world and trump might actually save millions of lives if he manages to sabotage the Paris agreement. This is a huge step forward for humanity.
For this claim, I'm curious about your source. I don't think I've seen any studies on how carbon taxes are bad for the third world, which you would need to show in order for your last claim to make any sense.

If we're worried about the third world getting more energy to improve their standard of living, we could subsidize carbon-free power. That could mean Americans employed in good paying jobs, spearheading an industry with a lot of potential. If from that, America becomes a leader in carbon-free energy, selling power plants (and the materials to construct them) on the international market would necessitate employing more people. All of this lines up with Trump's promises, but also combat's climate change, which if unchecked, will kill millions of Americans. They aren't mutually exclusive.

smoke sumthin bitch
Dec 14, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Potato Salad posted:

I'm guessing, just a guess here, you are a climate change skeptic.

climate change is real i just dont believe its as dangerous as the alarmists say. Basically what we should do is try to empower and enrich third world nations so that if the poo poo really hits the fan and their surroundings become unlivable, they have the means to pack up and go somewhere cooler. I live in quebec and we have 2 carbon taxes (provincial and federal) even though every year since the beginning of times we emit a negative amount of co2 in the atmosphere. Were paying out the rear end to offset american and Chinese greenhouse gazes and all the funds are squandered/gifted to huge corporations. "Climate justice" is the biggest ponzi scheme of all time.

all that stuff is cool and good if its being done voluntarily and without subsidies. The problem arises when you force these policies onto the masses.

smoke sumthin bitch fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Nov 11, 2016

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

climate change is real i just dont believe its as dangerous as the alarmists say. Basically what we should do is try to empower and enrich third world nations so that if the poo poo really hits the fan and their surroundings become unlivable, they have the means to pack up and go somewhere cooler. I live in quebec and we have 2 carbon taxes (provincial and federal) even though every year since the beginning of times we emit a negative amount of co2 in the atmosphere. Were paying out the rear end to offset american and Chinese greenhouse gazes and all the funds are squandered/gifted to huge corporations. "Climate justice" is the biggest ponzi scheme of all time.

Jesus loving christ, get out of here, loving troll :psyduck:

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

all that stuff is cool and good if its being done voluntarily and without subsidies. The problem arises when you force these policies onto the masses.

That's more nuanced than your first post and saved a lot of troublesome argument, I think.

I'm going to debate you on some fronts, but at least it won't be full bore "oh god, its Arkane"

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

Basically what we should do is try to empower and enrich third world nations so that if the poo poo really hits the fan and their surroundings become unlivable, they have the means to pack up and go somewhere cooler.

Morbidly curious how you envision this playing out.

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

If your plan relies on entire national populations being able to "pack up and go somewhere cooler," you have no plan worth taking seriously.

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Inglonias posted:

If your plan relies on entire national populations being able to "pack up and go somewhere cooler," you have no plan worth taking seriously.

I'm sure mass migration in the time of ascending white nationalism will be an easier lift than solar panels though. Right?

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Potato Salad posted:

That's more nuanced than your first post and saved a lot of troublesome argument, I think.

He's a fool and you're an idiot for pretending anything he says has any basis in reality.

Well-meaning dipshits like you trying to hug the dumb out of people are the reason we're in this situation.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

Potato Salad posted:

I'm going to debate you on some fronts, but at least it won't be full bore "oh god, its Arkane"

but it's not nuanced at all, what the gently caress are you saying

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

im trying to invite the guy to continue to walk into any number of pitfalls, particularly on the subject of the third world :ssh:

like, based on his posting elsewhere, he's inches from stumbling across Rudyard Kipling grade poo poo