Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

sportsgenius86 posted:

http://www.rollcall.com/news/opinion/im-a-coastal-elite-from-the-midwest-the-real-bubble-is-rural-america#sthash.hQsGH2Zt.rws7PPMx.gbpl

"And rather than embrace it, rural and white working-class Americans are twisting and turning, fighting it every step of the way. We will never return to the days where a white man could barely graduate high school and walk onto a factory floor at 18 and get a well-paying job for life. That hasn’t set in for much of the Midwest."

Why don't the midwestern white working class embrace poverty? :iiam: :shrug: Guess we'll never know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

GlyphGryph posted:

Is rural New Jersey actually a real place even?

west/northwest and south/central jersey is rustbest style rural, yeah.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.
https://mobile.twitter.com/Bro_Pair/status/796858505852502017

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

This is a good post.

Also these are good videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKeYbEOSqYc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yz3jWJVsErc&t=454s

Also votes aren't a zero sum game you dumb turds. You want to appeal to what used to be the white working class and to minorities at the same time? "The Democratic Party fights for social and economic justice for All Americans. We'll fight like hell for black and hispanic citizens who face legal and social discrimination every moment of their lives, and we'll fight like hell to bring opportunity back to rural Americans who saw their jobs shipped overseas so some rear end in a top hat's efficiency numbers could tick up"

What can Democrats offer rural Americans in towns where the only factory closed down 10 years ago? Stop loving talking about nebulous job retraining and college programs for one. Put some god drat jobs back in these towns. Build a government plant that assembles windmills with the goal of covering the county with windmills over the next 20 years. Build a government plant that makes solar panels, train up local people to install them, and have a goal to cover every roof in the area with free solar panels over the next 20 years. Build a government research lab, or maybe a government clinic that offers free healthcare to the county. Hire people from the local state colleges to be the researchers or doctors, and give all the procurement, HR, security, janitorial, accounting, and other support jobs to local people.

I came up with that in like 2 minutes. Take literally any liberal priority and build *something* in these areas that supports those priorities. Right now these people see that the Democratic Party has turned their backs on them. We waver between ignoring them and sneering at them. So they look at the GOP who says "Dunno how to fix that, but I swear those idiots caused it and I promise to punch 'em in the nose for ya!" These voters pick revenge because their poo poo already fell apart and it's either revenge or nothing at all. We can easily offer a better path forward for them.

And I know people are saying "but but but if this subsection of our base turned out we'd have won!" Who gives a poo poo? Here's a massive chunk of the voting population that is loving begging for a political party to offer them real solutions. We can offer those solutions completely within the realm of things we currently want to do. Why the gently caress wouldn't we want to do that?

Given the fact that you're 100% correct, I'm going to assume you don't live on a coast.

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

:lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acT_PSAZ7BQ

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Zikan posted:

because this is my only source of hope right now i'm literally looking up the bylaws of the DNC here: http://s3.amazonaws.com/uploads.democrats.org/Downloads/DNC_Charter__Bylaws_9.17.15.pdf

as far as I can tell the Democratic National Committee consists of

i may begin a spread sheet with the contact info of all of these fucks so phone, letter, and e-mail campaigns can begin

I know it's a lot of work, but that spread sheet would be beloved by this whole thread and many more goons in the wings.

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Gay baby jail...? What the hell?

I really don't like the sound of that...
Fun Shoe

Zikan posted:

i may begin a spread sheet with the contact info of all of these fucks so phone, letter, and e-mail campaigns can begin

Yes please.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

This is the savagery we need rn.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Of course they picked soccer as the sport.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Mo_Steel posted:

Why don't the midwestern white working class embrace poverty? :iiam: :shrug: Guess we'll never know.

Why aren't people ready to accept that their life sucks now? I just don't get it...

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

This is the savagery we need rn.

"zach was right" - random twitter guy

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
https://twitter.com/donnabrazile/status/796850936333340672

shes 100% donezo

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Karl Barks posted:

a bunch of facebook friends are sharing that vox leslie knope letter about donald trump and saying poo poo like "crying rn" and i'm like, are you kidding me.

My woke as hell tech giant employer literally printed out paper signs that said "safe space" and taped them to a couple conference rooms so people could have a good cry I guess. Then the execs sent around an email congratulating everyone on our commitment to diversity in this difficult time.

I mean they spent the last 18 months being publicly "politically neutral". Probably would've been more useful to use some of our massive pile of resources and influence to oppose the most evil presidential candidate in a generation, but hey the cry rooms for LGBT and Muslims were nice too.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

If DNC chair is a committee decision I wouldn't put too much hope in it, but it's worth a shot and there'll be more battles to come either way. Even a populist-sympathetic gives scope for moving forward.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

anime was right posted:

"zach was right" - random twitter guy

*extremely liberal voice*

Uh excuse me, but that's not very respectful to a proud accomplished black woman. Have you no respect for decorum, sir? Have you no decency? Sir? No decency at all?

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

Zikan posted:

Do it.

Also I think the actual worst-case scenario here might not be "Centrist democrats don't listen to good advice, get blown out in 2020."

The worst-case scenario is "Centrist democrats don't listen to good advice, win 2020 despite it." The former is going to be painful but get us in better shape in 2024 because it'll be a much clearer and more convincing repudiation and with demographics and policy aligning the way they are I think a strong candidate in 2024 might be able to get us the actual thousand years of liberal darkness we were promised.

Winning 2020 despite fuckups might be even worse if that means we lose 2024 and 2026 and so on. And I think that's a very plausible scenario. Remember that Clinton nearly won for all her weaknesses. The demographic which broke most heavily against her is figuratively dying, and if Trump fucks up healthcare, will be literally dying. Trump can't get their jobs back. And being directly attacked by the government can easily fire up a base.

So this is really important. Thanks for doing what you can.

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

mrmcd posted:

My woke as hell tech giant employer literally printed out paper signs that said "safe space" and taped them to a couple conference rooms so people could have a good cry I guess. Then the execs sent around an email congratulating everyone on our commitment to diversity in this difficult time.

I mean they spent the last 18 months being publicly "politically neutral". Probably would've been more useful to use some of our massive pile of resources and influence to oppose the most evil presidential candidate in a generation, but hey the cry rooms for LGBT and Muslims were nice too.

i work for a uni and the dean sent out an email that said this election is proof we need to focus more on educating people. good poo poo.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

While we're rolling up sleeves here's the activism thread in case someone is in this thread but doesn't check the main listing much.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
important question is chicago a coastal city now (third coast) to make the definition fit

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Chicago is on the Canadian coast.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Karl Barks posted:

i work for a uni and the dean sent out an email that said this election is proof we need to focus more on educating people. good poo poo.

Hillary did not fail. She was failed.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Porpoise With A Purpose posted:

As someone who lives in Kentucky, I can tell you that it was only this election that finally knocked Dems out of the majority in the state house. Kentucky is ripe for local democrats, we just have to make sure they aren't identified with Hillary and her ilk.

Thank you, I was just going back to this post to find this and address this. Blue-staters don't realize this, but the south is FILLED with life-long Democrats who still identify with the party since before the Southern Strategy which shifted the racists and bigots to the Republicans. These are actual, progressive people (PEOPLE! Some of them WHITE!) who identified and agreed with Johnson's Civil Rights Act. They were abandoned by Third Way, DLC Democrats under Clinton but are the same folks who voted for Obama in red states, some of them in quantities enough to flip them. To act like everyone here is a racist bigot is how you get demagogues using them for nefarious ends.

As you mentioned, we had a majority in the state legislature before the last mid-term. We expanded Medicare for the ACA. IF DEMOCRATS CARED they could make this state competitive but that's the rub, Democrats haven't given a poo poo about non-coastal, non-swing, low-electoral-vote states since 1992. If Democrats want to be a viable left of center party, and have a back bench strong enough to have great national candidates, they have to have competitive candidates for state legislatures and not just in swing states, but in places like Kansas, Oklahoma, and yes, Kentucky.

The whole attitude of nothing matters between the coasts is exactly how they lost this election and the decades-long groundwork they need to do to get back to viable begins here, in the middle of the country where city dwellers fear to tread.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

"Hm, yase, once we show those stupid racist inbred hicks how the better half lives, surely they'll realize the systematic destruction of their livelihoods, communities, and futures was worth it because now the gays can marry and that's the only thing that should matter to anyone anywhere ever."

wow

I can't wait for my mom to print out an article containing juicy quotes from that thing and titled something like "Proof the coastal liberal elite really do hate you!" and read it to me over the phone.

LastInLine posted:

As you mentioned, we had a majority in the state legislature before the last mid-term. We expanded Medicare for the ACA. IF DEMOCRATS CARED they could make this state competitive but that's the rub, Democrats haven't given a poo poo about non-coastal, non-swing, low-electoral-vote states since 1992. If Democrats want to be a viable left of center party, and have a back bench strong enough to have great national candidates, they have to have competitive candidates for state legislatures and not just in swing states, but in places like Kansas, Oklahoma, and yes, Kentucky.

The whole attitude of nothing matters between the coasts is exactly how they lost this election and the decades-long groundwork they need to do to get back to viable begins here, in the middle of the country where city dwellers fear to tread.

Or just rant on the internet about how the evil awful electoral college has now screwed them twice and therefore they just need to literally disenfranchise everyone who doesn't vote for their preferred candidate. :rolleye:

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

hailthefish posted:

"Hm, yase, once we show those stupid racist inbred hicks how the better half lives, surely they'll realize the systematic destruction of their livelihoods, communities, and futures was worth it because now the gays can marry and that's the only thing that should matter to anyone anywhere ever."

wow

I can't wait for my mom to print out an article containing juicy quotes from that thing and titled something like "Proof the coastal liberal elite really do hate you!" and read it to me over the phone.

us folks who live in the South, Midwest, and Great Plains states never needed proof lmao

The_Politics_Man
Aug 25, 2015

hailthefish posted:

Or just rant on the internet about how the evil awful electoral college has now screwed them twice and therefore they just need to literally disenfranchise everyone who doesn't vote for their preferred candidate. :rolleye:

ah yes the republican strategy

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Zikan posted:

because this is my only source of hope right now i'm literally looking up the bylaws of the DNC here: http://s3.amazonaws.com/uploads.democrats.org/Downloads/DNC_Charter__Bylaws_9.17.15.pdf

as far as I can tell the Democratic National Committee consists of

Getting the contact info of the 200 additionals is gonna be a bitch; this page is probably a start of people who would be important to talk with about the next chair though.

e: I think the important question to keep focused on is "Then what?" It's not enough to just push for someone other than Dean; let's say we get Keith as the chair instead. Then what? We need to make it known to him and the rest of the DNC what our goals are, and what we will do if they go against those goals. It has to be focused and plain if we want other people to get involved and follow through; very few people will read through the Bylaws of the DNC so if the goal is to get people to spend time getting Keith in the chair there has to be an answer to "If we get him in, then what?"

Mo_Steel has issued a correction as of 01:07 on Nov 11, 2016

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
I apologize if this has been rehashed many times but I need some better explanation of this.

IA 2012

IA 2016

So far people have said "white people" but Iowa isn't a rust belt state and is relatively educated, and that is a HUGE difference. The state went from Dem +6 to Rep +10 in the course of one election, that's a loving huge swing.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

hailthefish posted:

wow

The fact that this attitude is so prevalent and so nakedly expressed makes me understand how the Republicans I know could stomach such an awful, hateful party for so long. I'm not saying this is a Welcome to the Republican Party :smug: moment for me, it's not, but I'm definitely understanding their persecution complex. I honestly had no idea that progressives in general and Democrats in particular were so myopic and classist. It's kind of like that moment when you realize that some of the "ironic" racism you see online isn't ironic at all.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

Is Robby Mook also a victim? Am I not allowed to blame him either?

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

My family are tea partiers from a not-Seattle part of Western Washington, 'needing' proof and gleefully pointing to it when it makes itself known are two different things.

just holy fuckin :laffo:

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Peel posted:

Chicago is on the Canadian coast.

technically true. we need a wall here

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

LastInLine posted:

The fact that this attitude is so prevalent and so nakedly expressed makes me understand how the Republicans I know could stomach such an awful, hateful party for so long. I'm not saying this is a Welcome to the Republican Party :smug: moment for me, it's not, but I'm definitely understanding their persecution complex. I honestly had no idea that progressives in general and Democrats in particular were so myopic and classist. It's kind of like that moment when you realize that some of the "ironic" racism you see online isn't ironic at all.

coastal liberal elites sneering calling everyone who live in a small town redneck racist misogynist homophobes is unfortunately a lot closer to the truth than I'm comfortable with

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes
abuela tried to double down on gender id.pol this cycle and failed so so so so horribly

lol@feminist hero losing white women by 10 points

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

Typo posted:

abuela tried to double down on gender id.pol this cycle and failed so so so so horribly

DEAL ME INNNNNNNNN

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

The DNC needs to be purged of overpaid consultants and shills for corporate interests like Dean.

They did everything possible to make sure Yaas Queen won but she got crushed by Trump.

The dems got wrecked in all the down-ticket races.

Why should anyone keep their jobs or claim to be competent after such a humiliating defeat?

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

"excoriating bernie supporters during the primary seemed like a good idea at the time, wait why are you victimizing me" :qq:

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

Typo posted:

Hahahahahahahahaha "we're gonna win college whites and white women because Trump is so noxious!"

gently caress you Robbie Mook.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes
No No no what we need is more calling everyone who didn't vote for clinton a sexist

• Locked thread