Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Funny Valentine Did almost Nothing Wrong

... And with our new presidential preference, you could get rid of the almost :suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Welp time to go find Jesus's corpse.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

I wish I had the holy corpse so I could make a rock fall on my head

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Look on the bright side, we did the Brexit. We're in it together.

USA is Jonathan, UK can be DIO's head.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
Who is the Erina that will escape and carry our unborn child to safety?

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

Who is the Erina that will escape and carry our unborn child to safety?

canada and everyone leaving for canada

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

Blizz Pizz Love Us
Aug 18, 2015

by exmarx
I finished SBR a few weeks back, and I have to say, I'm not sure how I'm supposed to feel about Valentine. There's a lot that codes him as a more noble, if flawed, character. He's the only Jojo final boss to have anything approaching a selfless motive (Pucci doesn't count, since the rear end in a top hat waited until his dying moments to actually explain what "Going to Heaven" even entailed, and he was largely doing it to wipe out the Joestars anyway). Even with his final ploy, he manages to lose much more gracefully than 95% of shonen/seinen villains, and he certainly acquits himself better than any of his counterparts in earlier parts of Jojo. Plus, his final confrontation with Johnny only holds any tension if we, like Johnny, believe that the crazy murder president may have a point, and want to believe the best of the guy.

But on the other hand, some of his actions put him totally over the line. I'm not talking about his casual icing of his subordinates (~Dojyan!~), that's typical villain fare (and hilarious besides). His conduct with Lucy, however, is the sort of thing that's disqualifying. Flawed-but-noble villains don't try to rape the (14 year old) heroine. There's also his total lack of grief over his wife's death. I mean, I assume he figures he can just hop to another dimension later and pick up a stray unattached-Scarlet to replace the one who got mauled to death by balloon animals, but it's still pretty drat cold to show no concern for the fact that the woman he (assumedly) loved just died in agonizing fashion.

So, my take on him is that, while his motive is a legitimate goal for a head of state to pursue, he's parked squarely in the red zone because, you know, rape. He has good intentions, he's doing an arguably good (if totally batshit) thing, but none of that counts for poo poo because the man who takes the napkin must be morally unimpeachable, and Valentine tries to rape a kid. Is that how I'm supposed to see him? Or are the skeevy bits just to be written-off as a bizarrely out-of-character moment for a guy I'm otherwise supposed to consider respectable? Did Araki intend for us to see Valentine as hollow bullshit, or is he supposed to be a sympathetic sort of villain, a noble figure whose portrayal is muddled by a few seriously off chapters?

This whole post came about because I was thinking that, while Valentine does try to rape Lucy, he does not (to our knowledge) perpetrate a decades long string of sexual assaults, then brag about them to others. In this respect, President Anime Supervillain comes out as a moral paragon in comparison to our president elect.

God gently caress America. Vote Valentine 2020: The Man Jesus Chose. Wish I could D4C myself out of here right about now, but with the way things are going, I'd probably just wind up hopping to a reality where Donald Trump somehow developed The World.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
It's really easy to "love" the United States of Valentine while still being an evil bastard.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Valentine adding himself to the list of dudes who try to rape Lucy feels so completely out of character and almost ruins Valentine's cool villain status for me honestly. Obviously you can't erase it since what happens to Lucy is lovely and bad, but with how many people try to rape Lucy in Part 7, it feels to me more like Araki dropping that ball to the center of the loving earth and having no clue how to write drama anymore or show Don't Root For This Guy without sexual assault than some deeper reveal of Valentine's true nature. It also keeps cropping up in JoJolion too, having Yasuho almost getting raped like twice and then the poo poo with Joshuu and Caato. It's super lame and probably my biggest problem with JoJo overall.

Blizz Pizz Love Us
Aug 18, 2015

by exmarx

Improbable Lobster posted:

It's really easy to "love" the United States of Valentine while still being an evil bastard.

Totally agree, there are plenty of villains like that. Hell, Kira's a pretty immediate example of "definitely evil, surprisingly lovable." I was more wondering about peoples' opinions as to whether Valentine is supposed to check the definitely evil column.

Speaking of the United States of Valentine, that reminds me of something I'd have liked to see more of. Valentine's definitely got some presidential stuff going for him (fights for America, uses a flag to activate his stand's ability), but I'd definitely like to know more about President Valentine as president. Does any of his cabinet know about the corpse? Are there any 19th century American intelligence agencies in on the game? What does Congress thing of the president loving off for months to supervise a nation-spanning sporting event? There must've been some number of people in on it, given the big fancy vault he had constructed to house the corpse.

Actually, what about the whole "United States of Valentine" thing? Has it always been called that, or did it change after Funny took office? From what little we know of them, Funny's parents weren't anyone particularly special or prestigious. Was the Captain Valentine who told him about his dad (and presumably remarried his mom) part of some nation-founding dynasty?

And what about the nation's history? Pocoloco's parents were freed slaves who became sharecroppers, so that matches up with our history pretty well, but the timeline for the story about Valentine's dad, there must've been a few extra wars in there at some point. His dad was tortured to death as a POW sometime around 1850, and Valentine himself fought as a grunt sometime around 1870. So many questions none of them remotely relevant to the story at hand!

Moltrey posted:

Valentine adding himself to the list of dudes who try to rape Lucy feels so completely out of character and almost ruins Valentine's cool villain status for me honestly. Obviously you can't erase it since what happens to Lucy is lovely and bad, but with how many people try to rape Lucy in Part 7, it feels to me more like Araki dropping that ball to the center of the loving earth and having no clue how to write drama anymore or show Don't Root For This Guy without sexual assault than some deeper reveal of Valentine's true nature. It also keeps cropping up in JoJolion too, having Yasuho almost getting raped like twice and then the poo poo with Joshuu and Caato. It's super lame and probably my biggest problem with JoJo overall.

Yeah, that's the question I was meaning to get at. It just comes out of nowhere and then is never brought up again, which makes it feel more like a gross writing misstep than some intentional shattering of Valentine's veneer of righteousness. All the uncomfortable stuff around Lucy is definitely a disquieting flaw in an otherwise really enjoyable story. I mean, I'm almost willing to spot DIegO being a creep to her because A) It's DIO, guy's already got a prior for being a sleazy monster to a Pendleton girl and B) She responds by immediately punking him in absolutely spectacular fashion. But it's not just DIegO, it's freakin' everybody, and you can't really tune that out. Hell, even otherwise sympathetic characters like Mountain Tim and Valentine (okay, arguably sympathetic) get in on it, and I just don't know what to make of it. "[D]ropping that ball to the center of the loving earth" about sums it up. Sorry to hear that it continues into Part 8.

I've actually got some other things I was meaning to ask you all about SBR as well (I did really like it, there are just a few things sticking in my mind and I'd love to get others' input), but I'll save that for some time other than 2 am. 'Night all. Sorry about our lovely President (elect).

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Blizz Pizz Love Us posted:

And what about the nation's history? Pocoloco's parents were freed slaves who became sharecroppers, so that matches up with our history pretty well, but the timeline for the story about Valentine's dad, there must've been a few extra wars in there at some point. His dad was tortured to death as a POW sometime around 1850, and Valentine himself fought as a grunt sometime around 1870. So many questions none of them remotely relevant to the story at hand!
Dad Valentine was probably in the Mexican-American War with Funny himself being expressly pointed out as a Civil War vet (Axl RO might be an old war buddy.)

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Valentine is at the head of a huge conspiracy to attain the corpse of Jesus Christ that leads to the death of many people, and he sends assassins out to murder participants in the SBR out of suspicion they have the corpse without any real proof they do (he originally sends some guys after Gyro before he and Johnny have any idea what the corpse is, and Gyro's not even the guy who has it).

Valentine creates a magic interdimensional luck barrier around himself that sends all killing intent directed at him to random people around the world, leading to the death of a bunch of people. He then basically brags about it to Johnny and Gyro that no matter what they do trying to kill him it'll just lead to the deaths of others. And he personally doesn't give a poo poo presumably because most of the people dying aren't American.

Johnny's main reason for trusting Valentine at the end is the incredibly hosed up assumption that because Valentine loves his father more than Johnny loves his own Dad that proves that Valentine is a better person, because Johnny has 0 self-esteem and thinks he deserves to die for killing his older brother when he actually did nothing wrong.

Valentine is really kind of an rear end in a top hat, and a bad person. But even despite all the things I said unlike most of the heroes in SBR (especially Johnny) Valentine is a very unselfish person. He is the only character who doesn't want the corpse for themselves. He wants it for America. He's ok with dying as long as his goal is achieved and America's future is secure. In many ways, dude is the most honourable character in part 7, but in a lot of others dude is just kinda awful. Even if you don't include the whole sexually assaulted a child thing, Valentine does a lot of bad stuff in the series.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Funny Valentine was first important Valentine, the dude telling him about his dead father was just another guy in Dad Valentine's company. At the time of his death, Valentine had a 91% approval rating so that combined with his deep and pure patroitism, changing his country's name to The United States of Valentine is just natural.

e: you're totally not wrong, Valentine is a bad dude who does bad things, but his goals being bigger than himself make him easier to root for than like, Kira who loving loves to murder. I hesitate to call him noble, because even in the final scene with Johnny, my strongest emotion wasn't "god Johnny just ice this fucker." and instead "well.....gently caress" It's some real good Breaking Bad "He can't keep getting away with it" poo poo while still being strong character moments for Johnny and Valentine that there's less catharsis for Valentine's death than watching Kira get pulled apart into Hell or watching DIO loving explode.

One of the worst JoJo opinions I've ever seen is that Valentine is actually a super boring villain

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Nov 10, 2016

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Moltrey posted:

Funny Valentine was first important Valentine, the dude telling him about his dead father was just another guy in Dad Valentine's company. At the time of his death, Valentine had a 91% approval rating so that combined with his deep and pure patroitism, changing his country's name to The United States of Valentine is just natural.

e: you're totally not wrong, Valentine is a bad dude who does bad things, but his goals being bigger than himself make him easier to root for than like, Kira who loving loves to murder. I hesitate to call him noble, because even in the final scene with Johnny, my strongest emotion wasn't "god Johnny just ice this fucker." and instead "well.....gently caress" It's some real good Breaking Bad "He can't keep getting away with it" poo poo while still being strong character moments for Johnny and Valentine that there's less catharsis for Valentine's death than watching Kira get pulled apart into Hell or watching DIO loving explode.

One of the worst JoJo opinions I've ever seen is that Valentine is actually a super boring villain

Oh yeah Valentine is a good and cool character. Didn't mean to imply that, because he's probably my 2nd favourite Jojo villain.

I can't believe that there's anyone who thinks he's boring.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Moltrey posted:

People who think this also probably believe that Diavolo is a super-compelling villain.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

diavolo is cool but mostly just from a basic overview of all the things about him. valentine is much better in nearly every way

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Doppio is 1000000x cooler and funnier than Diavolo and the series would have been better if Diavolo was wiped from reality and all we had was paranoid, crazy Doppio who's fear got so hard it manifested in an Automatic stand version of king Crimson that protected him. Let KC himself have Diavolo as scary muscle dude for the final fights and let Doppio still be cool and funny.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
It probably won't happen but if tomorrow's episode says next week's ep is Another One Bites The Dust - Part 1 then holy gently caress.

I'm guessing it'll be Part 4 with Cheap Trick and My Dad Is Not My Dad that will end with Hayato's death but maaaan we are so close

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Nov 10, 2016

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
No one bothered posting this week's preview?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tNy41p6PhU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

It's your weekly job from now on, congrats.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

Well someone else gets to post them in the anime thread, I'm not gonna take flak for "spoilers"

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Anyone who complains about that is stupid. It's something Warner and David themselves are telling you. Information a creator shares about their product is not a spoiler by definition.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

Well someone else gets to post them in the anime thread, I'm not gonna take flak for "spoilers"

It's cool, brah, I got you.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Anyone who complains about that is stupid. It's something Warner and David themselves are telling you. Information a creator shares about their product is not a spoiler by definition.

I am aware

Captain Baal posted:

It's cool, brah, I got you.

Thanks duder

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Moltrey posted:

It probably won't happen but if tomorrow's episode says next week's ep is Another One Bites The Dust - Part 1 then holy gently caress.

I'm guessing it'll be Part 4 with Cheap Trick and My Dad Is Not My Dad that will end with Hayato's death but maaaan we are so close

Would it be gauche to spoiler post this the week before Another One Bites the Dust and say poo poo's about to get complicated?

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
I just started Stardust Crusaders and the preceding stories earlier this week. I now get why this is funny!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Birthday Oral posted:

I just started Stardust Crusaders and the preceding stories earlier this week. I now get why this is funny!

You probably wanna be over here, since no one there reads the manga and you can't run face first into future part spoilers.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3769790

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

it probably doesn't help that there's no way to tell for a new anime viewer that that thread is the jojo anime thread

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Johnny Joestar posted:

it probably doesn't help that there's no way to tell for a new anime viewer that that thread is the jojo anime thread

Throwing a (JJBA 4) at the end would've been nice.

Actually, it's not like the thread's gonna close as soon as the anime finishes, do it anyway.

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

Would it be gauche to spoiler post this the week before Another One Bites the Dust and say poo poo's about to get complicated?

Absolutely. Bites the Dust is going to be obvious as a Kira thing but I wouldn't try and be all hint hint nudge nudge about it

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

RareAcumen posted:

god this pic is still so so loving good im still trying to find a way to make it a good avatar i need it

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Deadly Queen Leaves The Building (It's still a music reference!)

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Deadly Queen Eats That Dirt

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
Deadly Queen Eats My Shorts

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Deadly Queen Bites The Big One

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Deadly Queen Consumes The Miniature Dirt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Deadly Queen Finishes The Doritos Bag