Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Seriously tho, they should focus on ending opiate addiction

If they don't talk about it, I will go to my county Democratic party and make them have the conversation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

At least Hill Folk are already blames shifting in predictable ways, "Bernie didn't do enough to help Hillary" or its Bernie's fault that Hillary didn't do better with young voters.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

education is a pie in the sky dream at this point

it's all ready over, everything is done, it's been done for years

humanity has been in global collapse since the 70s or earlier and totally loving unaware of it

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Typo posted:

yeah yeah sure explain that to working class people in OH/MI

The factories in Ohio are Honda

Deimus
Aug 17, 2012

Typo posted:

instead of 100%?

Cars are like the most saturated market on the planet. Obama had a choice of what to do with the company with taxpayer money and decided to give it back to the same people making the same poo poo at the expense of everyone else.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Thanks for the article.

Fun story, and presumably one related to media shenanigans. I was chatting with a Hillary voter in class today, and she told me that Bernie was so far left that he was practically on the right. If I had to guess it was that vox article that imprinted on her but it could have just been one of the hundreds of tacky click bait huffpost dorks.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Here's a fun little article: Hillary Clinton’s strategies cost Hillary Clinton the election

quote:

Democratic clustering didn’t start in 2016, but it lost Hillary Clinton the Electoral College because she thought it would energize her base if she put half the country in a “basket of deplorables.”

“You cannot write off half the country,” Dayen wrote, “much less spend an election cycle deriding it, and expect success.”

What Clinton needed — and failed to offer — was a cogent platform and a “change”-based slogan. Trump won the presidency with only the latter.

In short, it’s hard to read a room you’re not even in.

Clinton twice took Michigan for granted — in the primaries and the general — and twice lost in what were later called upsets. Had she even bothered to visit Wisconsin during the general, she might not have been so dead sure the state was a lock.

Even in Democratic-heavy cities like Detroit and Milwaukee, she trailed President Obama’s 2012 numbers by 50,000 and 27,000, respectively.

Beyond the Obama coalition, Clinton — whose tangential relation to NAFTA and flip-flopping on TPP Trump reiterated in near-daily rallies across the country — made no attempt to reconcile with labor union members. And, according to exit polling, paid for it.

Hillary Clinton ultimately lost because she didn’t market herself where it mattered. What she called a platform was a steaming pile of pathos that played well on the Pacific and Atlantic coasts but drowned in the Great Lakes.

one interesting perspective this article made me think of:

https://twitter.com/wikileaks/status/796222841612042240?ref_src=tw

if you supported hillary as the safe candidate over bernie sanders you literally are responsible for trump. it was hillary's bright idea to make trump her opponent and she couldn't pull a win off him. if people had gone all in on bernie, it might've been JEB! vs bernie instead of idiot vs trump and we would almost certainly be in a better position today.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Deimus posted:

Their wages were cut in half

And all of the secondary companies like parts suppliers and logistics companies would have collapsed. In 2009 2 million jobs were connected to the US auto industry. Not just the factories, but the dealers, parts suppliers, logistics, R&D, and financing companies. Allowing the US auto industry to disappear would've cost two million jobs.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

Deimus posted:

Cars are like the most saturated market on the planet. Obama had a choice of what to do with the company with taxpayer money and decided to give it back to the same people making the same poo poo at the expense of everyone else.

all you are really telling me is that he bribed the right sector of the electorate and they gave him credit for it

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Somehow the article is even dumber than the goddamn headline

Deimus
Aug 17, 2012

Typo posted:

all you are really telling me is that he bribed the right sector of the electorate and they gave him credit for it

I'm just explaining why the rust belt might be a little angry.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

The Kingfish posted:

Thanks for the article.

Fun story, and presumably one related to media shenanigans. I was chatting with a Hillary voter in class today, and she told me that Bernie was so far left that he was practically on the right. If I had to guess it was that vox article that imprinted on her but it could have just been one of the hundreds of tacky click bait huffpost dorks.

Clinton campaign staff caught offering the media help in writing ghost articles in exchange for doing subtle tweaks to articles in order to make Yaas Queen look better.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Grondoth posted:

Somehow the article is even dumber than the goddamn headline

Here have one even dumber!

http://fortune.com/2016/11/09/election-2016-populism-congress-donald-trump/
Populism Is Congress’s Next Big Threat

quote:

Since the 1970s, American political parties have been weakened by reforms that democratized the nomination process and significantly reduced the control of traditional party elites. Among major democracies, only the United States allows rank-and-file voters to choose party nominees through primaries. Under normal circumstances, party elites have continued to influence the process informally by their mastery of campaign resources and money. But in a system structured around primaries, angry voters can override the judgment of party elites and execute a hostile takeover of the party at any time, which is exactly what happened with populist voters and the GOP during this past U.S. presidential election. Though they fell short in their attempt to nominate Bernie Sanders on the Democratic side, the next presidential election could look a lot different.

We have entered a new and dangerous age of populism. Populists succeed when they appeal to the passions of voters, rousing them through fear and anger to reject the messy compromises that are intrinsic to a politics of moderation, and to look for scapegoat targets upon which they can vent their frustrations. Populists of the rights have embraced nativism and populists of the left have targeted Wall Street and kindled class war. For more than a decade, populism has undermined Congress as an institution, leading to increased partisan polarization and representatives who find it difficult to seek compromises for fear of being challenged in primaries by partisan hardliners. Now, a populist outsider has captured the pinnacle of power in the American system: the presidency. Trump’s success will encourage other populists on the left and the right to find a path to power.

The Founding Fathers created the constitutional system as an alternative to “pure” or populist democracy, a form of government that would “admit of no cure for the mischiefs of faction” (Federalist No. 10). Returning to this wisdom begins with finding ways to strengthen parties as institutions and conceding that the radical democratization of the U.S. political system will not provide remedies for the ills voters face.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

LastInLine posted:

And all of the secondary companies like parts suppliers and logistics companies would have collapsed. In 2009 2 million jobs were connected to the US auto industry. Not just the factories, but the dealers, parts suppliers, logistics, R&D, and financing companies. Allowing the US auto industry to disappear would've cost two million jobs.

yeah the auto industry is more than just people who make cars. there's a ton of loving jobs there because it is necessary to own a car to be a viable citizen in America, unless you live in inner NYC basically

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

She'd better loving run in 2020,

HannibalBarca posted:

Warren is no spring chicken herself. Bernie Sanders, Liz Warren, and others like them should be doing everything they can to recruit and empower people like them who are 20, 30, and 40 years younger to rebuild the Democratic party.

Yep, the Dems really need some new blood and not the Cory Booker variety.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

lmbo "congresses next big threat"

republicans just got into power on the strength of lies they cant and wont be able to deliver on after running a campaign FULL of fascist rhetoric

and you are worried about god damned "populism"

Deimus
Aug 17, 2012

LastInLine posted:

I'm not advocating that letting it fail would have been a better choice.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
So I'm not sure if it's been discussed in the past 45 pages, but what's stopping a new Progressive Party from being created and scooping up the people who feel abandoned?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

lmao oh man the responses to brazile's tweet

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

so which city takes the crown for most "shaken but not stirred liberals" at this point.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

"but but but popul" *gets shot*

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

HannibalBarca posted:

Sitting at a wings place, table next to me is talking about currency manipulation and how we need to talk about "CHINA" and not "y GAGA". This is suburban Atlanta, by the way. Sort of an indictment of the Clinton campaign.

Lol at loving that. To pass his tariff Trump basically has to leave the WTO. China will step in and fill that vacuum. Good luck trying to reign in China then.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Deimus posted:

I'm not advocating that letting it fail would have been a better choice.

Yeah I went back and reread and I see that you aren't. I've spent plenty of time in Detroit though and I can tell you firsthand that they definitely appreciate that Obama saved their skin. They are also strongly of the opinion that if it weren't for Clinton it probably wouldn't have needed saving.

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

Lawman 0 posted:

so which city takes the crown for most "shaken but not stirred liberals" at this point.

dc or new york media crowd

Well What Now
Nov 10, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Shredded Hen

Karl Barks posted:

dc or new york media crowd

man, gently caress those fart huffers so goddamn hard

Burn Zone
May 22, 2004

https://twitter.com/deathnap4cutie/status/796794428920692736

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.

Atrios posted:

Primary Colors

I never had any opinion about whether Clinton or Sanders would be a better general election candidate. I think people are entitled to have opinions about that, of course, but a big warning bell for me was always people who had *strong* opinions about that. It's unknowable and there are arguments on both sides. Sanders lost. Some of his supporters were and are convinced that he would have won. I think that's silly. Maybe he would have! Who knows?

But Sanders lost the primary. Clinton won. Many of her supporters - and the people working for her - were strongly convinced of the same about their own candidate. That belief - right or wrong - had relevance during the primary. It really had no relevance for the general election. That battle was won, there was no need to keep fighting it. It did not matter whether Clinton was the better candidate, what mattered was making her win. She was the candidate. Continuing to be invested in the idea that she was the best candidate blinded people to ways in which she wasn't a perfect candidate (even if you believed that overall she was the best one). Maybe it was a hangover from 2008. They couldn't stop fighting the primary.

Some of the reasons she might not have been were unfair. Like, you know, sexism. Lots of Clinton supporters in 2008 told me privately (and some people here expressed it in the comments if I remember correctly) Obama couldn't win the general election because he was black. If true, also unfair! It could have been true, though it turns out it wasn't. Racism and sexism are horrible. We live in a horribly unjust and unfair society. Other largely unfair reasons Clinton had problems as a candidate included 25 years of "scandals" that mostly weren't and media treatment of the Clintons generally. Unfair!

But you can't wish unfair away, and you can't make it go away by screaming "unfair!" at it. If Sanders had been the candidate there would have been a lot of unfair things he would have had to deal with, as Obama, Kerry, and Gore did (that racism and misogyny are things which have to be dealt with makes Obama's and Clinton's situations more obscene and depressing, and, yes, more unfair, but no less real). Hell I concede even Mittens dealt with some unfair things. Yes, yes, they would have tried to make Sanders seem like commie-loving Stalinist. Unfair! The man just likes Scandinavia. Still he would have had to deal with that and everybody knew it.

A lot of us thought she would win. Including me! If you think the polls are bullshit you'd better have a good reason to think so, not just a gut feeling. It turns out the polls were bullshit in this election in a way they haven't been before. I'm not sure anyone will ever really know why, or if polls will ever be anything other than bullshit again.

Anyway, you go to an election with the candidate and electorate and the horrible unfairness of everything that you have. The key is to have a strategy for dealing with it. You get no extra points to compensate for the unfairness.

So many of the arguments for why voting patterns in the primary demonstrated that Clinton was the better candidate were transparent bullshit. They were transparent bullshit in part because the exact opposite arguments were made in 2008. I don't fault them for making those arguments to win the primary, I fault (some of them) for apparently actually believing those arguments. Performance in a partisan primary says almost nothing about how you will do in a general election. Bernie Sanders, Susan Sarandon, and the Berniebro army didn't lose the election, any more than voters who stayed home or Latinx voters who voted for Trump did. Clinton, the Clinton campaign, and the broader professional Clintonworld did. It was their job to win. They took on that responsibility. That might be horribly unfair, but that's the way it is.

http://www.eschatonblog.com/2016/11/primary-colors.html

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

:lol:

The Kingfish posted:

Thanks for the article.

:lol: horseshoe theory is dumb garbage for idiots

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Sir Tonk posted:

She'd better loving run in 2020,

I dunno, my progressive friends apparently hate Warren now because she didn't endorse Bernie in the primary. :shrug:

Deimus
Aug 17, 2012

VirtualStranger posted:

:lol: horseshoe theory is dumb garbage for idiots

tfw New Deal democrats (considered moderates just 40 years ago) are nowadays extreme 'lefts'.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

DaveWoo posted:

I dunno, my progressive friends apparently hate Warren now because she didn't endorse Bernie in the primary. :shrug:

That'll go away if she starts doing and saying cool things.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Yeah, that perfectly sums up my feelings on the whole matter.

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Secondary Objective: Commit Fraud - Complete

Souai posted:

This was the hot take I sent to my Rep (Ellison) regarding me thoughts on losing the rust belt based on working at a Wisconsin manufacturing plant for a few years:

This is a good letter, you should be proud of it.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

DaveWoo posted:

Thats recoverable for her.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

Condiv posted:

Here's a fun little article: Hillary Clinton’s strategies cost Hillary Clinton the election

one interesting perspective this article made me think of:

https://twitter.com/wikileaks/status/796222841612042240?ref_src=tw

if you supported hillary as the safe candidate over bernie sanders you literally are responsible for trump. it was hillary's bright idea to make trump her opponent and she couldn't pull a win off him. if people had gone all in on bernie, it might've been JEB! vs bernie instead of idiot vs trump and we would almost certainly be in a better position today.

The hillaristas in this forum and outside of it were too busy patting themelves on the back over their 401k's and their jobs in finance/silicon valley to really be scared of a Trump victory. Ironically, white privilege from the left did us in.

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

I'm the postscript

quote:

P.S. This piece started as a tweetstorm on Twitter. I got a message from a high school classmate who now lives in Arizona. He had this to say, “I can’t believe what you tweeted was true. I never thought of that before.”

When you are in the white bubble, you just don’t know it.
:suicide:

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

DaveWoo posted:

Bernie will do photo-ops with her soon and she will say the things that need to be said.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Thoguh posted:

Thats recoverable for her.

yeah didn't she actually endorse neither until after hillary had "won"

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Mister Fister posted:

The hillaristas in this forum and outside of it were too busy patting themelves on the back over their 401k's and their jobs in finance/silicon valley to really be scared of a Trump victory. Ironically, white privilege from the left did us in.

Also how they smugly look down on others and couldn't understand why workers would be upset over things like NAFTA/TPP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Typo posted:

abuela tried to double down on gender id.pol this cycle and failed so so so so horribly

lol@feminist hero losing white women by 10 points

This reminds me of how vigorously zoux accused me of being a sexist for making the obviously objectively true statement that Hillary got to this point because she was an influential First Lady.

It was clear the entire time that Hillary being a feminist icon was transparently hollow, because there's more than enough historical examples to prove that having a woman as Head of State is not a good in itself. Hell, she was Secretary of State and she hosed that up too. Young women needed more than just a symbolic victory for their gender, and it cost the election.

• Locked thread