Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Ragingsheep posted:

Its too subtle imo.

Anyone know of any apps which keep flashing my screen if I receive a notification?

lol, why not just go whole hog and make a shock collar?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Ragingsheep posted:

Its too subtle imo.

Anyone know of any apps which keep flashing my screen if I receive a notification?

isn't that what ambient display does

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

Blue Train posted:

isn't that what ambient display does

Ambient display on the Pixels lights up once then stops. I'm hoping for something that's more along the always on functionality of the S7 but only when there's a new notification.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Ragingsheep posted:

Yes. And lightflow works - maybe yours is broken.

I seem to remember lightflow wrecking battery life in the past (wakelocks?).

Is it all good now?

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Ragingsheep posted:

Ambient display on the Pixels lights up once then stops. I'm hoping for something that's more along the always on functionality of the S7 but only when there's a new notification.

what the hell

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

hotsauce posted:

I seem to remember lightflow wrecking battery life in the past (wakelocks?).

Is it all good now?

I don't use Lightflow. It's also broken if you have ambient display on.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Ragingsheep posted:

I don't use Lightflow. It's also broken if you have ambient display on.

Ah, thanks for that. I tried it on my XL and was like "um, this doesn't work." Ambient was on. Uninstalled it anyhow.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
It worked for me but having ambient display on makes the screen constantly flash on and off (which is what I want) but even when you don't have any notifications.

HolyDukeNukem
Sep 10, 2008

It's definitely the biggest issue that I have with the Pixel (which honestly isn't that bad). Both the vibration motor and the notification LED are pretty weak and while I'm at work I don't like to have my sound notifications go off since it's kind of disturbing. Active display on the motos was the best feature and I really miss it.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
A work friend is looking for a new phone. He's on a Samsung Galaxy S4 that's giving him problems. I suggested a Moto G 3rd generation but getting the 16GB/2GB RAM model is getting tricky. His cost ceiling is pretty low. I'd like to recommend a phone with 2GB RAM and either 32GB onboard storage or 16GB with adoptable storage with an SD card.

I think he wants to pay upfront without getting a new contract. Suggestions?

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

get the unlocked moto g4, 2gb ram 16gb storage with sd card slot is like 200

Ragaduffin
Nov 28, 2007
Far out dude

WattsvilleBlues posted:

A work friend is looking for a new phone. He's on a Samsung Galaxy S4 that's giving him problems. I suggested a Moto G 3rd generation but getting the 16GB/2GB RAM model is getting tricky. His cost ceiling is pretty low. I'd like to recommend a phone with 2GB RAM and either 32GB onboard storage or 16GB with adoptable storage with an SD card.

I think he wants to pay upfront without getting a new contract. Suggestions?

I believe the Pixel is "half off" through t mobile if they are able to switch to that. It's a billing reduction though, so would still be relatively expensive upfront.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

wouldn't that still be like 400? he specifically said dudes cost ceiling is p low

Newf
Feb 14, 2006
I appreciate hacky sack on a much deeper level than you.
My Galaxy S6 edge has been autoincorrecting lately in some apps but not others. As an example, in "email", it replaces the 's' in "it's" with an apostrophe, leaving [it'']. It's not capitalizing after a period, but it is after a new line. It's doing all sorts of crazy stuff that I can't make sense of at all.

Any ideas? Again, it's only some apps - the messages app works fine. I'm using the 'something' app now and it's fine. Driving me nuts.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Ragingsheep posted:

The google issue tracker page has an entry for tilt to check, so star that to help get it noticed I guess. You could also look into The Ambi-tuner app, which is specifically designed to fix some of the ambient display stuff that’s missing. I haven’t used the app personally, and you need to pay to unlock some functionality, but it might be worth checking out.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
I miss the AOD on the Note 7 and S7.

Other than that, the Pixel is a fine device.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Moey posted:

I miss the AOD on the Note 7 and S7.

Other than that, the Pixel is a fine device.

Samsung's always on display is one of the best things they do on their phones, the native ambient display thing is garbage in comparison.

Melraidin
Oct 11, 2005

VERTiG0 posted:

How is the Oneplus 3? Checks all the boxes and then some, I just wish there was a 5" screen model. The price sure is right.

Doesn't seem popular on this thread, or at least there's few responses related to it. For me I'm very tempted to get one, once they're back in stock. There are hints that something new will be announced by Oneplus on the 15th, so probably best to wait anyway.

For myself I'll wait for whatever might be announced then try to order either the new shiny or the Oneplus 3. Seems reasonable to me, with no contract or anything it'll be about half the price of the Pixel in Canada.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

So HTC just launched their latest flagship.

Exclusively on Sprint.

Using a Snapdragon 810.

At the end of 2016...

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Melraidin posted:

Doesn't seem popular on this thread, or at least there's few responses related to it. For me I'm very tempted to get one, once they're back in stock. There are hints that something new will be announced by Oneplus on the 15th, so probably best to wait anyway.

For myself I'll wait for whatever might be announced then try to order either the new shiny or the Oneplus 3. Seems reasonable to me, with no contract or anything it'll be about half the price of the Pixel in Canada.

I'd get one if it wasn't Huge McLarge Phone.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

bull3964 posted:

So HTC just launched their latest flagship.

Exclusively on Sprint.

Using a Snapdragon 810.

At the end of 2016...
...yup, sounds about right.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

I can't speak to Samsung's version, but Moto's Active Display is 100x better than Google's Ambient Display.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Newf posted:

My Galaxy S6 edge has been autoincorrecting lately in some apps but not others. As an example, in "email", it replaces the 's' in "it's" with an apostrophe, leaving [it'']. It's not capitalizing after a period, but it is after a new line. It's doing all sorts of crazy stuff that I can't make sense of at all.

Any ideas? Again, it's only some apps - the messages app works fine. I'm using the 'something' app now and it's fine. Driving me nuts.

What keyboard are you using?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

The Android Thread - The answer is to get a Pixel.

I mean that's the biggest bang for your buck as far as performance, quality, functionality, and future proofing goes. It's probably a touch pricey if you originally leaned toward like the OnePlus or some shenzhen special monstrosity running something off XDA but if you're looking to buy a phone most likely capable of lasting the two years until your upgrade (or whatever they're loving you with on Verizon these days) with less "ungraceful aging" than others, your answer is the Pixel.

Not the Moto X Pure that's for sure. poo poo was months behind security updates even before they became Lenovo. Even the 2015 MXP has started to show its age very prominently.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

FAUXTON posted:

The Android Thread - The answer is to get a Pixel.

I mean that's the biggest bang for your buck as far as performance, quality, functionality, and future proofing goes. It's probably a touch pricey if you originally leaned toward like the OnePlus or some shenzhen special monstrosity running something off XDA but if you're looking to buy a phone most likely capable of lasting the two years until your upgrade (or whatever they're loving you with on Verizon these days) with less "ungraceful aging" than others, your answer is the Pixel.

Not the Moto X Pure that's for sure. poo poo was months behind security updates even before they became Lenovo. Even the 2015 MXP has started to show its age very prominently.

Wait 4 days to see what the next one plus x phone will be then buy a pixel if it's not to your liking.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

XIII posted:

I can't speak to Samsung's version, but Moto's Active Display is 100x better than Google's Ambient Display.

Having used all three, Moto's is the best.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

PerrineClostermann posted:

I used to be easy. Devices used to support drag and drop file operations. They used to support USB Mass Storage. Now everything's hidden behind the broken Media Transfer Protocol and Someone Else's ComputerThe Cloud.

From an embedded developer perspective, MTP is a god send. It allows simultaneous access to a file system by both host and device. MSC bypasses the devices file system, sharing the underlying block device, so you have to rely on the host having the correct FS driver and not stomping on something the device is doing. Alternatively, you can lock out device access while a host has the disk mounted.

With MTP none of that poo poo matters.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

CLAM DOWN posted:

Samsung's always on display is one of the best things they do on their phones, the native ambient display thing is garbage in comparison.

Samsung's always on display is (currently) a very stupid implementation.

It doesn't show notifications from any apps except Samsung's. It only seems to show notification count (number of unread messages) but doesn't say anything about who those messages are from or titles or anything. And clearing a Notification (a missed call for example) from the notification tray will not clear it from the always-on screen. You have to open your phone app and look at missed calls to clear it.

I read that the Nougat beta for the S7 is enabling 3rd party apps, but I am sure Samsung will gently caress that up somehow too.

I don't remember the default Android ambient display being that bad, but I can't test it because it is currently broken on the Pixel. Moto's active display is the best.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Lowen SoDium posted:

I read that the Nougat beta for the S7 is enabling 3rd party apps, but I am sure Samsung will gently caress that up somehow too.

Note 7 (:rip:) had 3rd party apps on the AOD. But it should have been that way on the S7/Edge from the beginning.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
I'm running an S7 with the 7.0 beta. I posted about it yesterday but probably got swallowed up in the Pixel chat. The AOD does indeed support 3rd party apps now and it works well.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Moto's implementation is still the best. I have no idea why Google doesn't have ambient 'breath' just the notification periodically on the display since all but one of their phones has OLED displays ( and honestly, the MXP having an LCD really didn't affect battery life in this respect.)

They also need interaction or at least a way to adjust timeout. The screen doesn't stay on long enough after a notification to really read it. Being able to lengthen the time the display is one would be great as would the ability to interact with the screen. I don't know how many times I've reached over to my Pixel to touch an incoming notification to peek at what it was only to have it fade under my fingertip.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

Lowen SoDium posted:

I don't remember the default Android ambient display being that bad, but I can't test it because it is currently broken on the Pixel.

How is it broken? As far as I can tell it works the same on my pixel as it did on my 6 & 6p

E: vvv oh, ok, never really used that function

..btt fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Nov 11, 2016

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

..btt posted:

How is it broken? As far as I can tell it works the same on my pixel as it did on my 6 & 6p

It doesn't respond to movement.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

So report of using a Nexus 6P with Daydream, it is correct that it throttles way too soon to be truly enjoyable, but a few experiences can be had rather ok like the Harry Potter one as well as PolyRunner VR.

It has the ability, but the heat and battery drain just nosedive rather quick.

If you have a Pixel or PixelXL though, I would highly recommend it as the view and remote is really good for a mobile device and hopefully a lot of GearVR apps make the jump as there isn't a good reason for them not too if the Devs like Money. The headset is comfortable, feels like yoga pants, and the lenses are really good.

Also yea on the HTC Bolt...... Not sure exactly what their goal with this thing is. Maybe a budget phone for the common folk? If it comes out at anything above $299 (since you can get an M9 for $300 right now) it will be DoA and just flop as this isn't the end of 2015, but the end of 2016 with 820/821's making their showing and showing how old the 810 really is. It was an OK processor, but drat if nobody really could get the drat thing cool long enough to be useful. I still wonder what an Active Cooled 810 would have performed like vs the one in all these hot phones.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

Having no IR blaster on my PXL kinda sucks, didn't even realize how much I used it to control stuff around the house.

Guess I'll need to completely Googleify my house.

Can a Chromecast control TV volume via HDMI input?

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

The Duggler posted:

Can a Chromecast control TV volume via HDMI input?

No, but you can change the volume of the thing that's playing from your phone.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
HTC Bolt, the Thunderbolt of 2016.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

nimper posted:

No, but you can change the volume of the thing that's playing from your phone.

This, and I am still pleasantly surprised how even with my chromecast (and Shield TV) plugged into a 3 way HDMI splitter, connected to a 2013 Panasonic TV, when I hit cast on something to one of those two, it will Turn on the TV, Change the input to the correct input, and start playing.

That is fancy. I would like more of that sort of control over my place.

If I ever get my career to stop kicking me in the nuts, I would love to build a home from the ground up to be a slick smarthome. Would be cool too if someone making a house near me would let me design the smart system for them. Everyone I talk to seems to love the idea, but getting people to bite on actually making it happen, even when it cost a fraction of some of those older universal remote style systems that are clunky as hell and never work right a few years down the line when you replace a single component.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit
Any word on the Daydream View promo codes that were supposed to be sent out to those who preordered a Pixel? Did some googling and couldn't find any mention of the codes being sent out or an ETA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

EdEddnEddy posted:

Also yea on the HTC Bolt...... Not sure exactly what their goal with this thing is. Maybe a budget phone for the common folk? If it comes out at anything above $299 (since you can get an M9 for $300 right now) it will be DoA and just flop as this isn't the end of 2015

It's $600, so, yeah.