Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Bistromatic posted:

I'm currently keeping myself busy while waiting for my dropfleet pledge. I got an extra starter box to tide me over.

On the weekend i did two colour tests on leftover cruiser parts.

I settled on the dark one pretty quickly but what really completed it for me was the engine glow i tried out tonight.

On one hand i'm now super excited to paint some spaceships on the other i kinda want to wait for the pledge to arrive so i can airbrush everything in one go.

This post is tasty AF. Stop making me want to paint ships! I don't even like ships games!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy
Cross posting here because it's incredibly applicable.

For you painters and your photos, this just went live from the guys at Tablewar.

I saw and played with this last weekend and it's awesome. I'm backer #2.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/819121569/macromat-miniature-photo-backdrops

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
Thanks y'all!

Indolent Bastard posted:

Feel free to do a step by step tutorial when you do it. TIA.

I can't promise i'll remember to take pics at every step but at the very least i'll see what i can do. Pester me when i post finished ship in the worst case :v:

Arcturas posted:

That glow is fantastic. What colors did you use?

pretty much a grab-bag gradient from my collection:

VMC 957 Flat Red
VMC 910 Orange Red
VMC 851 Deep Orange
P3 Ember Orange
P3 Cygnus Yellow
VMC 858 Ice Yellow
VMC 918 Ivory
Any White

Ivory and white are mostly on the tip of the nozzle facing away from the camera. Possibly skip those depending on what exactly you want to do.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Ghost Hand posted:

Cross posting here because it's incredibly applicable.

For you painters and your photos, this just went live from the guys at Tablewar.

I saw and played with this last weekend and it's awesome. I'm backer #2.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/819121569/macromat-miniature-photo-backdrops

Sold.

Bear Enthusiast
Mar 20, 2010

Maybe
You'll think of me
When you are all alone
Alright painting thread, this time I mean it when I say it's been over a decade and it's time to paint some space barbies. 30k Alpha Legion to be specific, because they're the coolest. So far the recommendations I got from the 30k thread (besides coming here) were either to start silver and glaze with blue and green, or basecoat grey with Tamiya light blue metallic spray.

I'd love further input about getting that fun blue/green metallic power armor, then more specifically recommendations on what I would even buy. From what I can tell it would be Tamiya Clear for those glaze ideas, then just picking whichever brand seems to fit for whatever other colors I want?

I'm really working from nothing supplies wise, the only paints I had used were whatever citadel paints seemed cool when I was in middle/high school and those are long gone sadly.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Tamiya Clears are a bit difficult actually - they're more intended for airbrushing and can't be diluted with water so it makes brushing a chore. If you do end up going the glaze route I recommend Citadel glazes if only because they're easy to get and use. Minitaire Ghost tints might work too - I think they have a colour called Plasma that's a similar hue.

For metallic paints, I can recommend Vallejo Model Air metals very highly - great coverage and don't need much if any thinning, and rich in metallic flakes. I used GW Citadel metallics before but I prefer these much more now. The GW ones are still great for drybrushing though.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I've painted a lot of character models recently. Here's a bunch.
Techpriest Enginseer - I was at the new Warhammer store in town and I split the Leman Russ/Techpriest box with a new friend. I painted this guy up real quick, and he was a fun model to boot:

I played in my first game of Age of Sigmar this weekend! It was fun, and my Great Cannon was so effective I went home and finished painting it almost immediately:

Less effective (but still very cool) were my Captain and Witch Hunter. I love these models, and they stand as great contrasts to one another:

Bear Enthusiast
Mar 20, 2010

Maybe
You'll think of me
When you are all alone

ijyt posted:

For metallic paints, I can recommend Vallejo Model Air metals very highly - great coverage and don't need much if any thinning, and rich in metallic flakes. I used GW Citadel metallics before but I prefer these much more now. The GW ones are still great for drybrushing though.

Does Model Air work for just brushing on?

I tried searching the thread but no real answer, does anyone have any reccomendations for where to start on buying paints? I plan on painting more than just these Alpha Legion dudes so having some good general colors would be nice too, along with a variety for said space marines. Like I look at tutorials elsewhere and I'm not sure when to start when they recommend different colors (like how many metallic silver/grey colors should I even have???).

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Bear Enthusiast posted:

I tried searching the thread but no real answer, does anyone have any reccomendations for where to start on buying paints? I plan on painting more than just these Alpha Legion dudes so having some good general colors would be nice too, along with a variety for said space marines. Like I look at tutorials elsewhere and I'm not sure when to start when they recommend different colors (like how many metallic silver/grey colors should I even have???).

All the vallejo airs are good to non-air brush imo. Just make sure you know any tint like the ghost tints is super not for non-air brushes

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Are there any halfway decent pure whites that aren't Ceramite White or Morrow White? Preferably something in a dropper bottle. The goon recommended paints list has VMC Ivory as an "almost" pure white recommendation, but I'm really looking for something that clearly says 'pure white' to the eye, as opposed to say, Reaper Linen White (which I already have).

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

JerryLee posted:

Are there any halfway decent pure whites that aren't Ceramite White or Morrow White? Preferably something in a dropper bottle. The goon recommended paints list has VMC Ivory as an "almost" pure white recommendation, but I'm really looking for something that clearly says 'pure white' to the eye, as opposed to say, Reaper Linen White (which I already have).
Reaper Pure White? VGC Dead White? Also, why are you listing off-whites while asking for pure white?

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Nov 10, 2016

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
Reaper Pure White has had some positive feedback on the CMoN forums. VMC white usually gets labeled as "too chalky." Not sure about VGC or Scale75.

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
I'LL CHECK YA BUM FOR GRUBS

Bear Enthusiast posted:

As a greywasher, I really like it but they tide mark really aggressively, so be forewarned. The model air yellow is like liquid gold, figuratively and literally.

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

Bear Enthusiast posted:

Yeah, it's actually pretty thin, so personally I don't bother thinning it any further when brushing it on. Heresy, I know, but it works pretty well right out of the dropper.

quote:

There's so many different ways to do Alpha Legion, so as long as you end up with "Metallic Tealish Blue", you're pretty safe. These are a few different ways to get that color.
(haven't found a bigger pic, apparently it's from Burning of Prospero?)

As for other colors to pick up, you're definitely going to want basic stuff like black, white, red, yellow, blue, etc. Metallics are also a good pick-up, and both GW and Vallejo do good metals. If you're looking for some really neat, kinda cheap paints in dropper bottles, WarColours are definitely with a look. While I haven't used them myself, I've heard good things about the Scale 75 line, both normal paints and metallics. When it comes to washes/inks, I can get behind P3, as they tend to provide a good amount of ink on the cheap and the pigment is pretty strong for what you're using.

When it comes down to "how many of X color should I get", it really depends. I know GW has the whole Base, Wash, Layer kinda planned out pretty well, and if you're just getting into things, it couldn't hurt to stick with that (or close to). Reaper triads are also super nice for trying to figure out a base, mid-tone and highlight, though availability might be a ballache, depending upon where you are in the world. I'll also recommend WarColours again here, because they have paints that are literally just "Color 1" to "Color 5", in varying levels of shade and opacity. poo poo's super cash, but it's also out of Cyprus (yes, out in the middle of the goddamn Mediterranean), so shipping is something to worry about as well.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Oath Breaker's about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!

JerryLee posted:

I like Badger Minitaire, they've got Skull White and Snow White. They look pretty drat white to me and are in 1oz dropper bottles.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Pierzak posted:

Reaper Pure White? VGC Dead White? Also, why are you listing off-whites while asking for pure white?

If you mean Linen White or (probably?) Ivory, it's as examples of what I'm not looking for, since those are among the more-recommended "whites" already.

If you mean that Ceramite and Morrow are generally considered off-whites, then... I had no idea? :shepface:

Thanks though.

Avenging Dentist posted:

Reaper Pure White has had some positive feedback on the CMoN forums. VMC white usually gets labeled as "too chalky." Not sure about VGC or Scale75.

BlackIronHeart posted:

I like Badger Minitaire, they've got Skull White and Snow White. They look pretty drat white to me and are in 1oz dropper bottles.

And thanks to you too.

Bear Enthusiast
Mar 20, 2010

Maybe
You'll think of me
When you are all alone

DumbparameciuM posted:

As a greywasher, I really like it but they tide mark really aggressively, so be forewarned. The model air yellow is like liquid gold, figuratively and literally.

Aniodia posted:

Cool stuff

Thanks a bunch, I think I've got a good idea at this point.

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

JerryLee posted:

Golden fluid acrylics titanium white is my go to.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Have you used other brands? I'd be interested in how it compares to Reaper, VMC, etc.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Does anyone have tips on how I could weather my alpha legion? Silver on black chipping seems the obvious choice but I'm worried it'll just blend in to the silver trim.

Flat grey over black? Brown over black?

Dr. Phildo
Dec 8, 2003

Except the heaven had come so near,
So seemed to choose my door,The distance would not haunt me so

Soiled Meat
Could you make the chipping whiter? Like a ceramic or something? Might look nice against the darker colours

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

Avenging Dentist posted:

Have you used other brands? I'd be interested in how it compares to Reaper, VMC, etc.

I've got reaper pure white, minitaire, Vallejo foundation white and a couple others. It's not a game changer or anything, but I find it slightly less finicky.

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

"Whenever there's injustice, wrongs to be righted, innocents to be defended, The Sisko will be there, delivering ass-whooppings."
Just thought I'd post some WIPs of some Custodes I have been working on this week. It's been nice to actually paint again after being sick for two weeks and being up to my eyeballs in school work.

Ps. Lightning effects are rad ! :science:

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
Can't tell if 40k or Sigmarines

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

goodness posted:

Can't tell if 40k or Sigmarines

Why not both?

Stormcast Eternals are basically Adeptus Custodes.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

AndyElusive posted:

Why not both?

Stormcast Eternals are basically Adeptus Custodes.

They're more like Wraithguards who went through the spiritual version of Astartes conditioning.

Medium Style
Oct 11, 2002

So a friend of mine talked me into Warmachine. I bought a squad of cool looking dudes and painted them. Haven't painted in a while and thought I'd share.

Tried going for recognizable Menoth colors while avoiding purple/red trim. Also tried not to sweat the details too much because I wanted to get them done in a reasonable amount of time.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Took some pictures of my Inquisitor last night. Finally got around to matte varnishing it after the gloss coat. Guess those people who said the two coats make the decal borders disappear were right, as long as you don't mess up the application of the lower one that stands out with the light directly pointed at it.

I think the lighting is good enough: overhead lamp + old iPhone and iPod lights on sides. Taken with another iPhone. I'll make a light box someday but I guess the only real diff will be that the softer light will show off the yellow to white better.

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Our young men will have to shoot down their young men at the rate of four to one, if we're to keep pace at all.
I've been working on some of the new Genestealer cult models and thought I would share some WiP.

This is where I am up to as of last night not too much left to do now mainly details, tidying up, weapons and bases.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Good deal for $175?

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
I just bought some carroburgh crimson from the GW store in Downers Grove (chicagoland) and that was hands down the best GW store experience I've ever had.

I even told the guy it for my Pink Panther for gf9 Tanks! and we both gloated over how upset some grognard are gonna be over their defaced Krupp steel.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Anyone know what color in the Reaper line would best highlight Royal Purple?

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
Cross-posting. Cataphractii are done:

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

mango sentinel posted:

Anyone know what color in the Reaper line would best highlight Royal Purple?

Maybe something like Entrail Pink? Seems like a fairly similar hue based on the swatches.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Crossposting from the 40k thread.

The Leman Russ previously known as the "Retributions Fist" suffered massive damage during fighting against the Great Enemy, which saw the majority of its armaments destroyed and crew slain, but it was later salvaged and re-purposed as a Leman Russ Vanquisher. Now named "The Emperor's Little Bastard" or simply "The Bastard" due to one tech-priest having declared that it had been an absolute bastard to clean and repair at one point. Or so the rumour goes at least.

So for something that looked like this at one point

I'd say it's a rather remarkable turnaround.

Not that I ever really want to pick up another Ebay rescue tank again. If I ever want to get another Forgeworld Leman Russ I am almost buying an entire kit instead of just a turret.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Can someone recommend me a good white primer spray? I bought Rustoleum Specialty Plastic Primer and it came on way too wet.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Dazerbeams posted:

Can someone recommend me a good white primer spray? I bought Rustoleum Specialty Plastic Primer and it came on way too wet.

Krylon's white primer has been great for my stuff.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

SRM posted:

Krylon's white primer has been great for my stuff.

Do you use the all-purpose or the specifically designed for plastic one?

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Dazerbeams posted:

Do you use the all-purpose or the specifically designed for plastic one?

All purpose. Stuff that's designed for plastic bonds to the plastic and is impossible to get off, and in my experience the coverage isn't as good and it sometimes ends up smooth and glossy and doesn't hold paint as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Is there a chemical that lets you use GW washes in a manner similar to oil washing, or failing that something that will thin any wash that has pooled too heavily?