Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
i laid my bed in moon, and i can't take it back, but i will miss vulpix until i can trade for one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decus
Feb 24, 2013

oddium posted:

sun has the good wolf, ninetales, passimian, buzzwole. so it's objectively better

It also has Kartana.

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

Can I play through Sun/Moon with the exp share off and not end up comically underleveled?

It has the Gen 5 exp system in place so you'll at least be able to more easily level new guys up to match area wild pokemon if you keep exp-share off. If you turn it on you also shouldn't end up quite as over-leveled.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

Hello yes it is I. I haven't played a pokemans since X, since using the exp share caused my team to be massively overleveled and sucked all of the joy out of playing it.

Can I play through Sun/Moon with the exp share off and not end up comically underleveled? Or should I do something like keep two entirely separate teams leveled so the levels work out? I assume it was the same in ORAS.

With the experience scaling coming back from Gen 5 we should, in theory, be stopped from overlevelling while the weaker ones in the party catch up fairly quick.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

So can you get Cosmog and level it up into its respective legendary? Saw someone bring up the point that Cosmog gets Splash which is now a +3 attack Z-Move, which means it could replicate Geomancy Xerneas albeit not quite as well.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
I understand the UBs and the Tapus don't necessarily have the highest Base Stat Totals, but they're essentially single line "special" Pokémon, legendaries. Counting Lunala and Solgaleo's 2 pre-evolutions it's nearly 20 legendary Pokémon introduced in one generation.

Not sure how I feel about this. I think I wouldn't care at all if any of them evolved, maybe.

Just...hmm.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Anyone know how late Charjabug and Crabrawler evolve? They're location based evolutions, but I don't know how soon you can get to those places.

On that note, at what level does Wishiwashi's Schooling ability kick in?

Blooming Brilliant posted:

So can you get Cosmog and level it up into its respective legendary? Saw someone bring up the point that Cosmog gets Splash which is now a +3 attack Z-Move, which means it could replicate Geomancy Xerneas albeit not quite as well.

Apparently you get an extra Cosmog after the main story. This one just evolves through level ups, but it'll be kind of tough since neither Cosmog or its evolution have any offensive moves. On the plus side, it means you don't have to give up your box Legendary to get the other one or something like that since you can either trade with someone you know to level it up for you, or just trade your spare box Legendary for the other.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Nov 10, 2016

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
By the time I reached the 4th island, my opponents had caught up in levels and I started using revives and by the Elite Four it was OHKO or dead. Aside from my starter, the wild Pokemon also matched my team and I couldn't run from Golbats.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013

Dr. Fetus posted:

Anyone know how late Charjabug and Crabrawler evolve? They're location based evolutions, but I don't know how soon you can get to those places.

On the 4th island from what I've read, so late in the game.

edit: Yep, checked again and it's after the final kahuna fight on the 4th island for the electric at least. Ice might be slightly sooner but haven't found that confirmation again.

Decus fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Nov 10, 2016

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

El Burbo posted:

I'm not going to plan a team instead I'm going to let fate take its course as it unfolds

The true way to play

jarbv
Jul 10, 2004

Planning a team requires one or two playthroughs beforehand, cmon sheeple!!!

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
It's been a rough week, let me 'sperg in peace!

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

jarbv posted:

my beautiful team

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Harlock posted:

my beautiful team

Three bug types?

That's three bug types too few.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

jarbv posted:

h-he's right!!!!

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Trick Question posted:

Three bug types?

That's three bug types too few.
I wanted golisopod too :negative:

We're in the bug revolution

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
Does Incineroar really only have 60 base speed?

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Yup. Same as Primarina. Decidueye is the fastest of the three with a whopping...70 speed. This generation is slow as hell.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Reinanigans posted:

Yup. Same as Primarina. Decidueye is the fastest of the three with a whopping...70 speed. This generation is slow as hell.

Do they have decent movepools at least? I remember ditching the Gen 5 starters entirely because of that.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
The one true squad.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Neo_Crimson posted:

Do they have decent movepools at least? I remember ditching the Gen 5 starters entirely because of that.

Incineroar has a pretty good one with the standard Fire and Dark moves, plus fun stuff like Cross Chop, Leech Life (now 80 Base Power!), Outrage, Earthquake, Brick Break, Will-o-Wisp, Bulk Up, Swords Dance, and Flame Charge.

Decidueye is a little more limited, but despite not being a Flying type in the last stage, he still learns Brave Bird on level-up, and Steel Wing and Sucker Punch on top of the usual Ghost and Grass moves.

Primarina has a wide movepool with good moves like Moon Blast, Hyper Voice, Ice Beam, Surf, Scald, Psychic, Shadow Ball, and Energy Ball.

Nanigans fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Nov 11, 2016

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
So how do Hidden abilities show up this time? Is there something like Dexnav, something like Friend Safaris, or do we just not know yet?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I had my team all planned out but now it turns out Dhelmise is grass/ghost instead of any types I didn't already have represented, and Komoo-o is 7/8 of the way through the game.

Primarina/Mimikyu/Exeggutor/Tsareena/2 mystery slots for me, looks like.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
Isn't Exeggutor also near the end of the game? Not sure on mimikyu but that might also be the case.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

i dont like to double up on type coverage so the starters having ghost and fairy covered makes it hard for me to make up my mind on who gets to be on my team with mimikyu. the fire cat? but i like him least of the three. i mean i still like him but not as much.

i guess i could do what i did in x/y and end up abandoning my starter for something else late-game but that always feels mean to me

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Decus posted:

Isn't Exeggutor also near the end of the game? Not sure on mimikyu but that might also be the case.

Yes, there's even a forced battle.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I think I'm going to run Decidueye/Silvally/Lycanroc-S/Salazzle/Dugtrio/Kommo-o. I hope the item to make RKS System turn Silvally into a water-type is available relatively early so I can shore up that weakness to ground

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

What determines how Cosmog evolves? Is it based on time of day, which version you're playing, or something else?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Decus posted:

This makes me extremely sad

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
based on the encounter table that got posted earlier theres an INSANE variety of things so id say not to worry about any given mon being late game, there's plenty of poo poo to use. heck ill probably get a hydration wingull on the first island just because ive never used one and it sounds cool

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

wingull and cool are mutually exclusive concepts

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
i may train up a wingull and name him in memory of glen

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

aw yeah, fuckin' Glen

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

How early in the game do you get Type: Null?

Also is there anything that's decently fast?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Neo_Crimson posted:

No gen 7 pokemon is fast. Plenty of old pokemon in the game though

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Bongo Bill posted:

What determines how Cosmog evolves? Is it based on time of day, which version you're playing, or something else?

It's a version evolution, like Rockruff.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

Reinanigans posted:

I'm so disappointed in this gen's starter speeds. Can't wait to see them all inhabit Smogon trash tiers despite their cool designs/other stats/gimmicks. :(

Also why does Alolan Persian have a weird balloon head it looks like Nermel Jesus Christ

Like I know it's supposed to be a Russian Blue cat breed where Kanto Persian was a Siamese but good god that head

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Neo_Crimson posted:

Post-game.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
there are plenty of slow things in OU, being slow itself isnt a death sentence if the mon has other redeeming features. being a bulky fire/dark type alone gives the cat some unique options since Knock Off isn't going anywhere and he isn't weak to Fairy like a lot of dark resists are

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
please sho me Corndoggin'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Countblanc posted:

there are plenty of slow things in OU, being slow itself isnt a death sentence if the mon has other redeeming features. being a bulky fire/dark type alone gives the cat some unique options since Knock Off isn't going anywhere and he isn't weak to Fairy like a lot of dark resists are

I'm mostly concerned with in-game stuff where speed/attack > everything unless something has a really strong gimmick.