Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Al! posted:

Nite crew culture is pretty terrible and will inevitably metastasize into the cancer that kills this subforum. The one downside to the HillShill Toxx Amnesty is that it didn't permanently remove them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

It's sort of insane how cosmopolitan and non-white are getting associated as synonyms in some post-election takes

A lot of minority communities are poor which means not being able to travel and experience a lot so they're very non-cosmopolitan in some respects

Like yeah, some rural whites haven't left their states, but plenty of black and brown people haven't been able to leave their cities or neighborhoods

Ability/willingness to travel is a trash way to base political analysis

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Its a problem with Nite Crew culture, you see

all this crew on crew violence!

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.
Not to be a Jeb but please don't gloss over me and scroll by and take the time to read my earlier post in this thread. Thanks.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Jenner posted:

Not to be a Jeb but please don't gloss over me and scroll by and take the time to read my earlier post in this thread. Thanks.

The "Middle Class" is a shibboleth which sided decisively with Trump. 71% of Americans earn individual incomes of less than $50,000 a year.
http://www.washingtonsblog.com/2015/10/goodbye-middle-class-51-percent-of-all-american-workers-make-less-than-30000-dollars-a-year.html

I know I said before that you can't treat particular groups as disposable demographics, but I want to try and pre-empt any idea that you have to compromise redistributive programs to the poor and higher taxes in an appeal to "middle class" voters. There isn't one any more. All the Good Democrats who claimed that you can only raise taxes on the rich and that they shouldn't lose any more of their 6-figure incomes than necessary, lost this election.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Higgy posted:

Hey...woah..

Counterpoint: Nite crew culture is pretty terrible and will inevitably metastasize into the cancer that kills this subforum. The one downside to the HillShill Toxx Amnesty is that it didn't permanently remove them.

Princess Di
Apr 23, 2016

by zen death robot

Higgy posted:

Hey...woah..

Counterpoint: Nite crew culture is pretty terrible and will inevitably metastasize into the cancer that kills this subforum. The one downside to the HillShill Toxx Amnesty is that it didn't permanently remove them.

Wow.

I love what you did there!

You restated the same opinion twice.

Very inventive. Stunning originality, it really...speaks to me.

May I...purchase this post?

How much to frame it in my living room.

I want to look upon it while drinking white wine and contemplate life.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Hey..woah..

Counterpoint:

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Jenner posted:

It is a good post that deserves your attention! Here, let's bring it up for this page:

Jenner posted:

Hello.
The Democratic Party has been circling the drain and dying for a long time. But most of us were all just too busy stuffing our heads up our asses and huffing our own farts to realize it.

W hosed up, poo poo was a mess and Democrats were able to take back the House and Senate in 2006.

In 2008 Obama DOMINATED. Democrats secured their hold on the Senate and made gains in the House but we, unfortunately, did not get the filibuster proof majority we needed in the House for various reasons.

This looks good. This is super good and promising for the Democrats but we have to look beyond the surface because while we were making gains on the federal level we were losing ground locally and losing hard.

We lost governors. We lost many various other seats in local governments. Republican-friendly local legislators built an environment beneficial to Republicans while we rested on our laurels.

We should have rallied behind Obama and pushed lefter. But we got complacent meanwhile the Republicans had their own movement. They let their rage and displeasure with the election manifest behind the Tea Party movement. They rallied a disheartened and devastated base behind the cause of a more right-leaning party. The Republicans looked at a popular rejection of right wing conservatism and not only did they not balk but they said, "gently caress it, let's go righter!"

Local governments controlled by conservatives passed extensive Voter ID laws and gerrymandered loving everything. And federally Republicans did everything they could to just endlessly obstruct and block loving everything. They refused to work with Obama and they refused to compromise and find common ground.

Compare to now where Elizabeth Warren (I used to adore her, now I'm losing so much respect for her) and many others are saying they're willing to work with President Trump. Like, I know we've been crushed out of every branch of government and we do not have the power Republicans had when they were kind of in our position but even when we had them on the ropes we still opted to be the better person, respect them, and tried to play nice and all that got us is progressively more marginalized. The Republicans did not reciprocate, they spat in our loving faces. Now we are a toothless minority of a minority and we most likely can't do poo poo but Jesus loving christ gently caress us.

Mercy and kindness really is weakness.

Anyway, in 2010 Republicans rallied around their Tea Party movement, bolstered by new, young, fresh and more conservative blood and aided by the gerrymandering, voter suppression, and naturally low Democratic turn out Tea Party candidates dominated and Democrats failed to get the numbers they needed to hold the line. We lost the House and were just barely clinging to the Senate. And we lost more locally. It was the census year, lines were redrawn and gerrymandering reigned supreme.

The new Republican House majority continued to obstruct and block loving everything. We couldn't do poo poo.

In 2012 we lost the Senate and we lost more locally and unlike Democrats, who finally accepted W's Supreme Court Nominee after a bit of bullshit. The Republicans just completely blocked Obama's Supreme Court Nominees for loving ever. Sure we got one through (I think) but we're not getting the other one. Especially not now that they know they won the election and can get a SCJ they like.

So yeah, we got played. We played nice and tried to be fair and decent. The belief and understanding was that if we treated them with respect they would return the favor. They did not, so while we were being the Nice Guy Republicans plotted against us, spat in our faces, and stabbed us in the back. We got hosed.

It got this way because hardly anybody, especially Democrats, gives a poo poo about local elections. They don't bother to show up and vote but Republicans do. Because of voter apathy in the local scene we got pushed out and Republicans got to set the rules.

And because we didn't show up enough in mid term elections they got the House and the Senate back.

And because not enough of us got out to vote in the general election Trump won and they held and gained ground in the Senate.

So, if we're going to come back from this we gotta do what the Republicans did in 2008. We gotta start a movement. We have to create our own version of the Tea Party and we've got to rally behind it.

We've got to mobilize and vote in huge numbers in EVERY election. We have to vote Democrats into local positions and if there are no Democrats running for local positions people among us have to become candidates themselves and run in local elections.

And we have to win. We have to get out in enough numbers and climb out of this pit and we have to win. But now the voters are so apathetic and suppressed and the districts are so gerrymandered that it is going to be a huge loving uphill climb.

And we probably have to find a way to appeal to and win back working and middle class whites.

And good loving luck getting Democrats to get out and vote and loving care. Even now, in the height of our despair, the 49% of people who did not vote are just loving shrugging their shoulders and god loving drat it gently caress us.

It was a nice ride everyone.
RIP.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Higgy posted:

Hey..woah..

Counterpoint:

hey uhhhhh no fair that was my selfie i took after hillary lost the election.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Weeping Wound posted:

It is a good post that deserves your attention! Here, let's bring it up for this page:

I mean I get it, for now everyone's hysterical but this is way too D&D jesvs

Mcdonalds, meltdown etc.

[D&Dishly] Ahem, my good sir you make a salient point, but actually you are wrong because this is a populist movement in America and we will continue our fight on, and allow me to preface this by stating why...

Lastgirl has issued a correction as of 04:18 on Nov 11, 2016

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Working class / rural policy discussions aside, can we just take a moment to appreciate how unbelievably bad Hillary is at running for President?

She flipped 6 loving Obama 2012 states to Donald "grap em' by the pussy" Trump, handed him the Presidency, a supreme court seat, and a great big golden toilet with which to flush the last 8 years of D projects and legacy.

Like this is an order of magnitude above Shook Nate's shookiest predictions.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

it definitely is, but a lot of these threads are people trying to figure out what the heck to do next

I don't blame 'em, but that other thing I quoted was a funny as heck post

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Lastgirl posted:

Mcdonalds, meltdown etc.

[D&Dishly] Ahem, my good sir you make a salient point, but actually you are wrong because this is a populist movement in America and we will continue our fight on, and allow me to preface this by stating why...

counterpoint:

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

Nite crew culture is pretty terrible and will inevitably metastasize into the cancer that kills this subforum. The one downside to the HillShill Toxx Amnesty is that it didn't permanently remove them.

Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Al! posted:

hey uhhhhh no fair that was my selfie i took after hillary lost the election.

its a good selfie though???

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

im so afraid..... so afraid of nite crew culture......

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Al! posted:

people posting literally constantly about their crew is stupid cliquish nonsense that belongs in anime chat threads and nowhere else

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

bump_fn posted:

counterpoint:

goddamit :negative:

i knew i was confused for a moment

[stumbles out of the door]

Princess Di
Apr 23, 2016

by zen death robot

Not a Step posted:

The problem with that is it concentrates the rural vote down ever further until all thats left are no hopers who can't escape and have to deal with being the one demographic in America it's ok to make fun of. Then those people vote for literally anyone who says they can help, or, failing that anyone who says they will make everyone else suffer. Thats how state governments fall, and how President Elect Donald 'loving' Trump wins the presidency.

And then city dwelling elites carry on making fun of them and screaming at them for being useless hicks while they keep dying of alcoholism and opioids and the cycle resets.

But the thing is if you can't find it in your (nonspecific, generalized you, not C-Euro) heart to empathize with those people and hate them too much to ever try and appeal to them, you really don't even need them because there's a large enough base of out there to deliver those states to a black man twice. You could try talking to those people and maybe someday work your way up to caring about people you disagree with.

I don't just disagree with them. They hate me and they hate my people.

How do you have a dialogue with someone who doesn't see you as a person, let alone as someone similar to them who can legitimately relate to them on any basis.

How do the oppressed have free and open dialogue with their oppressors?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Jenner posted:

Like it or not Trump is going to be president and he ran on a populist platform that had a lot of overlap with what Bernie and Warren want to accomplish. If they can use him to get some economic reforms through and real infrastructure spending done then that's a good thing.

Like, who gives a poo poo if Trump is the one guillotining bankers as long as they're being guillotined.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

is there another group like the psl that does similar work? doesn't look like they have a chapter in phoenix.

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

Phi230 posted:

Its a problem with Nite Crew culture, you see

all this crew on crew violence!

It's the breakdown of the posting unit. Too many young night crews ending up in probation.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Lastgirl posted:

Mcdonalds, meltdown etc.

Define "D&Dishly" please.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Princess Di posted:

How do you have a dialogue with someone who doesn't see you as a person, let alone as someone similar to them who can legitimately relate to them on any basis.

you come up with a mutual enemy, rich bankers seem like a good start

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Thoguh posted:

I think this is a core assumption of a lot of people on the coasts but I really don't think it holds up. For a lot of people getting out is a priority. But also for a lot of people, including educated ones, there is a desire to stay in the middle of the country. And even the shitiest, redest states like Kansas have towns like Lawrence that are very progressive and cosmopolitan. And if somebody wants a huge city places like Minneapolis and Kansas City provide that at a fraction of the cost of living of the big cities on the coast. Accepting that not everybody wants to live in New York or LA is one of the things the Democrats are going to have to do if they want to come back.

I think it's more than places like NYC and LA do it so much bigger and better. I grew up in one of those "progressive and cosmopolitan" Midwest towns and grew up with a number of people who still live there (or nearby) and love it. But as someone who moved to a major coastal metro center last year this place is so different from what I grew up in.

Moreover, a lot of big companies or job providers have operations on the coast that pay a lot on-paper due to cost of living. My wife might be getting a ~100k biotech consulting gig in Boston in the next six months, how would I convince her to take a big pay cut and move back to MI even if our cost of living goes down appropriately?

Not to stroke my Michigan boner too much but people coming into Detroit and building it back up while everything is dirt cheap is heartening to me, and I'd like to see more of that in that part of the country. But that city had to completely bottom out before that process could start.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Fullhouse posted:

people posting literally constantly about their crew is stupid cliquish nonsense that belongs in anime chat threads and nowhere else

can u take a guess at the kind of post that's even more annoying!?!?

Princess Di
Apr 23, 2016

by zen death robot

Thoguh posted:

Like it or not Trump is going to be president and he ran on a populist platform that had a lot of overlap with what Bernie and Warren want to accomplish. If they can use him to get some economic reforms through and real infrastructure spending done then that's a good thing.

Like, who gives a poo poo if Trump is the one guillotining bankers as long as they're being guillotined.

His self interest as well as his tax plan seems to indicate he has no problem with bankers.

Just minorities. We are useless to him since we can't line his pockets.

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007

mrmcd posted:

Working class / rural policy discussions aside, can we just take a moment to appreciate how unbelievably bad Hillary is at running for President?

She flipped 6 loving Obama 2012 states to Donald "grap em' by the pussy" Trump, handed him the Presidency, a supreme court seat, and a great big golden toilet with which to flush the last 8 years of D projects and legacy.

yeah turns out she's a bigger Jeb! than Jeb!

Jeb! please fix this

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

mrmcd posted:

It's pure schadenfreude for me but god drat am I glad I never have to hear about how good Hillary is at politics ever again. I mean holy poo poo she opened offices in Texas and DIDN'T GO TO WISCONSIN like what the gently caress. The Hillary boosters acted like she and her team were some sort of political genius class that understood how everything worked and that you were absolute idiots for thinking anyone else had any chance against her, and she lost to Trump!

She lost to Trump BAD! It was shameful! A shameful display!

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Thoguh posted:

he's going to guillotine random jews because he's good friends with all the bankers

he adopted populist economic rhetoric and is not going to redistribute any actual wealth

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Princess Di posted:

You don't. That's why you have to stay militant, and preferably left wing. Because there isn't going to be any kind of government assistance any more unless you live in a decisively Democratic district.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Atrocious Joe posted:

he's going to guillotine random jews because he's good friends with all the bankers

he adopted populist economic rhetoric and is not going to redistribute any actual wealth

oh god, dont tell me some of you idiots actually believed trump was a secret class warrior

Princess Di
Apr 23, 2016

by zen death robot

bump_fn posted:

you come up with a mutual enemy, rich bankers seem like a good start

They seem like a great start to me too.

But how do I get them to take me seriously enough to even listen to what I have to say?

Remember, they have already judged me before I have opened my mouth to be unimportant and to have unimportant opinions. That political debate with me is not unlike discussing politics with a dog.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

Jenner posted:

I sort of got confused and moved on when you started talking about a filibuster-proof majority in the House, to be honest.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

Lastgirl posted:

if you are talking about Our Long National Nightmare 2016-?: Zack rips the DNC a new rear end in a top hat thread

it's ironic nihilism, don't read too much into it, its part of a subculture of posters who have been posting in here for a year

In fact you might want to decompress for a while, go walk. Play a game, treat yourself to something (yesterday I went and got a strawberry banana milkshake and I don't do that), go read a book. Go outside. Turn off the TV, turn off this forum.

If it's not that thread, then you need to tell me what thread it is to make sure that there isn't plotting for violence, thank you.

it was Our Long National Nightmare 2016-?: Zack rips the DNC a new rear end in a top hat, i always had a issue with sarcasim on the internet.

i am going to get some egg nog, turn on Christmas music, play some overwatch and just think about this amazing toy i got my 2 year old nephew for his birthday, it micky mouse clubhouse figures and it the only set with pete.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

sorry that wasn't v nite crew of me. i mean

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

mrmcd posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

Have you considered that after a lifetime of public service hillary clintons legacy will be "that person that lost to Donald Trump"

• Locked thread