Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

Countblanc posted:

there are plenty of slow things in OU, being slow itself isnt a death sentence if the mon has other redeeming features. being a bulky fire/dark type alone gives the cat some unique options since Knock Off isn't going anywhere and he isn't weak to Fairy like a lot of dark resists are

While that's true, slow speed is still a huge detriment in OU unless there's some redeeming value. Like big Litten will be a decent wallbreaker but there are so many options for it in OU already that I can't see it performing above RU even with its type. Grown Popillo will just be another throwaway bulky water out of many even with that awesome water/fairy typing.

The only niche that stands out to me is grown Rowlet because grass/ghost is really unique along with long reach and the ability to remove switching. Shame its defense is rear end but maybe the typing + spdef can make up for it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Turns out Mega Rayquaza is not allowed to use Z moves.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

extra row of teeth posted:

I'm so disappointed in this gen's starter speeds. Can't wait to see them all inhabit Smogon trash tiers despite their cool designs/other stats/gimmicks. :(

Also why does Alolan Persian have a weird balloon head it looks like Nermel Jesus Christ

Like I know it's supposed to be a Russian Blue cat breed where Kanto Persian was a Siamese but good god that head

Well, Ken Sugimori decided his preference in the case of Garfield head/Persian Body or Persian head/Garfield body.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

the crew

Team gently caress Dragons

Neo_Crimson posted:

Also is there anything that's decently fast?

Ribombee, Salazzle, and Minior (with its shell broken) all break 100 speed, at least. Ribombee gets to be particularly fast as poo poo because it gets Quiver Dance.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

extra row of teeth posted:

While that's true, slow speed is still a huge detriment in OU unless there's some redeeming value. Like big Litten will be a decent wallbreaker but there are so many options for it in OU already that I can't see it performing above RU even with its type. Grown Popillo will just be another throwaway bulky water out of many even with that awesome water/fairy typing.

The only niche that stands out to me is grown Rowlet because grass/ghost is really unique along with long reach and the ability to remove switching. Shame its defense is rear end but maybe the typing + spdef can make up for it?

Trevenant is NU and unless you are going special/mixed or scarf the only relevant stat Decidueye beats Trevenant in is spdef.

Primarina has almost the exact same base stats as Gardevoir, beating it in every stat except speed. Non-Mega Gardevoir is in UU and is fine. Water/Fairy is probably a better typing than Psychic/Fairy.

Lycanroc is the second fastest rock type in the game (4th if you count Aerodactyl/Mega Aerodactyl as different pokemon and Arceus-Rock I guess), has a unique priority move, and better attack stat than Aerodactyl. Salandit has a very unique typing and also good offensive stats. So outside of the legends there are 2 fast pokemon this gen that have some potential in competitive. There's plenty of not-fast pokemon that have pretty decent potential.

I expect a reasonable number of the legendaries and a few non-legendaries to make OU and a decent number of new pokemon to make UU.

Injuryprone
Sep 26, 2007

Speak up, there's something in my ear.

I can't decide between alola muk and the sea urchin

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

who the gently caress can I train false swipe to

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

mandatory lesbian posted:

please sho me Corndoggin'

it's gonna be the name of my drizzle pelipper

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Where are you guys making these team images at?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Dexie posted:

Where are you guys making these team images at?

https://richi3f.github.io/pokemon-team-planner/

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

I'm curious if the dumpstering of dark void will actually be enough to bring darkrai down but I REALLY doubt it would stay in ou for long

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
i dont know what tier he'll settle into but the koala is definitely going to be seeing some use by virtue of being status immune and having rapid spin and a not poo poo attacking stat.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

e: ^^ Unfortunately, from what I understand, he doesn't actually have auto-sleep, so he's not status immune

Before you guys get too excited about the low speeds and their effect on competitive viability, keep in mind that Trick Room is now a terrain and there's an item that extends terrains to eight turns. While I'm at it, there's also Pokemon that set terrains automatically now and terrains are actually kinda really good when they don't have to eat a move slot or a turn, so this gen's meta might be really weird.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

I think this'll be the team i'll run with for the endgame stuff, but i'm completely ready to swap stuff based on how i felt throughout the adventure. Like, there's Alolan Raichu, Marowak and Golem that i'm eyeing, and the Crabrawler line, as well as the sandcastle.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

LAY-ZX posted:

e: ^^ Unfortunately, from what I understand, he doesn't actually have auto-sleep, so he's not status immune

Before you guys get too excited about the low speeds and their effect on competitive viability, keep in mind that Trick Room is now a terrain and there's an item that extends terrains to eight turns. While I'm at it, there's also Pokemon that set terrains automatically now and terrains are actually kinda really good when they don't have to eat a move slot or a turn, so this gen's meta might be really weird.

Nothing comes with an Auto-Trick Room though. And it's not that great of a move in singles since you have to waste a valuable turn to set it up, but I expect it'll probably see way more use in VGC and Doubles since you only have to sacrifice half a turn to set it up there.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Nov 11, 2016

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I preordered the sumbitch and I really hope Amazon comes through and actually delivers on the 18th because I'm taking a trip on the 19th and would love to take this with me

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Sweet. I finished the post game story and got $1,000,000 Pokebux.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Thanks!

I think this will be the party I run through Alola with:

A lot of shared weaknesses but eh. I'll manage.

I'll probably have a squad of spare monsters I rotate in and out too. There's so many good ones this generation, it's really hard to settle on just six.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

I wanna have Punchdragon on my team but I'm concerned he'll only appear at, like, the game's Victory Road equivalent.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

blizzardvizard posted:

I wanna have Punchdragon on my team but I'm concerned he'll only appear at, like, the game's Victory Road equivalent.

Your concern is basically correct.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Unaware was not nerfed. The wording on the ability was made really unclear for some reason. So Pyukumuku can actually make use of it.

Arceus can now use the Z Crystals to change its type, not just plates.

Reinanigans posted:

I understand the UBs and the Tapus don't necessarily have the highest Base Stat Totals, but they're essentially single line "special" Pokémon, legendaries. Counting Lunala and Solgaleo's 2 pre-evolutions it's nearly 20 legendary Pokémon introduced in one generation.

Not sure how I feel about this. I think I wouldn't care at all if any of them evolved, maybe.

Just...hmm.

Considering that the game itself gives you multiples of the version specific Ultra Beasts they don't seem to count as legendaries.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Nov 11, 2016

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Give it a day or two and get someone to trade you a baby egg

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

LAY-ZX posted:

Your concern is basically correct.

Goddammit.

Komoo-o is cool so I'll probably still sub him in once II get him but before that I guess I'll use Fabtrio in its slot.

Injuryprone
Sep 26, 2007

Speak up, there's something in my ear.

This is what I'm thinking. Maybe ghost anchor instead of ghost sand.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Been trying real hard to avoid spoilers for this one, but there is one thing I'm keen to know in advance. How does the pre-National Dex stack up to X/Y? Putting like 400+ Pokemon at your fingertips pre-E4 was the best design decision they made in those games. Corrollary: how many new ones did they include? (Alola forms count since it pretty much turns them into radically different Pokemon.)

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Dr. Fetus posted:

Unaware was not nerfed. The wording on the ability was made really unclear for some reason. So Pyukumuku can actually make use of it.

Arceus can now use the Z Crystals to change its type, not just plates.

Considering that the game itself gives you multiples of the version specific Ultra Beasts they don't seem to count as legendaries.

I'm glad for my friend Quagsire, but I was looking forward to not having to deal with Clefable ever again.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

The best non-legendary 7th gen Pokemon is definitely Toxapex, who is going to be OU easily.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

dont worry magic guard means you still would have had to deal with it

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

mabels big day posted:

The best non-legendary 7th gen Pokemon is definitely Toxapex, who is going to be OU easily.

Seriously. Regenerator on a Pokemon with defenses like that is disgusting.

compuserved
Mar 20, 2006

Nap Ghost

Rangpur posted:

Been trying real hard to avoid spoilers for this one, but there is one thing I'm keen to know in advance. How does the pre-National Dex stack up to X/Y?

Speaking of the Pokedex, when and where do you get the National Dex in Sun/Moon? After beating the Champion, saving, and reloading, I don't have the National Dex. I spoke to Professors Kukui and Oak but they don't mention it at all.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013

Rangpur posted:

Been trying real hard to avoid spoilers for this one, but there is one thing I'm keen to know in advance. How does the pre-National Dex stack up to X/Y? Putting like 400+ Pokemon at your fingertips pre-E4 was the best design decision they made in those games. Corrollary: how many new ones did they include? (Alola forms count since it pretty much turns them into radically different Pokemon.)

330ish is the total, I think. The count for new pokemon might have been 80ish?

compuserved posted:

Speaking of the Pokedex, when and where do you get the National Dex in Sun/Moon?

I can't remember which game it was, but I think for one of them in the past you needed to finish your regional dex first, with "seen" counting for finished. Maybe it was even gen 4? Worth a shot if you can't find it through anything else--haven't seen anybody reporting how to get it otherwise.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

compuserved
Mar 20, 2006

Nap Ghost

Decus posted:

330ish is the total, I think. The count for new pokemon might have been 80ish?

I can't remember which game it was, but I think for one of them in the past you needed to finish your regional dex first, with "seen" counting for finished. Maybe it was even gen 4? Worth a shot if you can't find it through anything else--haven't seen anybody reporting how to get it otherwise.

I haven't been able to find anything else either. Thanks for the response. :)

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Is there any equivalent of friend safaris to inject some national dex mons into the battle spot meta before January?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

Is there any equivalent of friend safaris to inject some national dex mons into the battle spot meta before January?

Yes. It turns out you can use QR codes to get mons outside of the regional dexes. People have gotten stuff like other gen starters through this method.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Dr. Fetus posted:

Yes. It turns out you can use QR codes to get mons outside of the regional dexes. People have gotten stuff like other gen starters through this method.

How long until someone makes a QR code generator to get whatever you want?

Assuming it's that easy.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Reinanigans posted:

Apricorn Ball Pokémon are hard to come by because they're only available in HG/SS. The Pokémon themselves are not that rare at all, but because you can inherit the parents' Pokéballs, Apricorn Mons are valuable as breeding fodder.

Good to know! I thought all pokemon hatched just got regular pokeballs! Is it the mom or pop?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Khanstant posted:

Good to know! I thought all pokemon hatched just got regular pokeballs! Is it the mom or pop?

The mother. Dittos don't count, and Master Balls and Cherish Balls can't be passed down. You just get a regular Pokeball if you try that.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Khanstant posted:

Pokemon inherit their mom's Pokeball.

Note, this means that Male/Ditto and Nongender/Ditto always produce pokeballs. Only female pokemon pass them down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

Zore posted:

Pokemon inherit their mom's Pokeball.

Note, this means that Male/Ditto and Nongender/Ditto always produce pokeballs. Only female pokemon pass them down.

There are actually reports that male/genderless Pokemon pass down balls when breeding with Ditto now.