Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Failcon
Jul 19, 2008

dill with it

Doc Hawkins posted:

I think if you had wanted the benefit of the doubt, you would have approached this incursion differently.

Not understanding why this is an fundamentally false equivalence requires a willful and breathtaking ignorance in the service of white supremacy. In other words:

I do not know how to quote Negromancer's post about fleeing racism but I would say that is not a viable option at all in the long run. No matter where you go, you will meet people who have their prejudices on their sleeve. Maybe not flee the country, but moving to another state I would understand, you don't know how people in Canada are gonna tolerate a black man moving into their neighborhood. Should there be a massive black exodus to Canada, it is highly likely that we'll have Canadian mounties in the news over having trampled over a young black man out for some maple and nutmeg. A cowardly decision not in the least is to flee your home from the fear of being shot dead someday by a trigger happy constable. God bless and make the future better for all of us. Continue protesting and don't break stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Grognan posted:

Wait wait, was this thread was started by some white rear end motherfucker that felt guilty over black things that he is doubling down like the embodiment of white guilt so hard he got a black panther avatar?

No. You're dumb. Stop it.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Captain Failcon posted:

I do not know how to quote Negromancer's post about fleeing racism but I would say that is not a viable option at all in the long run. No matter where you go, you will meet people who have their prejudices on their sleeve. Maybe not flee the country, but moving to another state I would understand, you don't know how people in Canada are gonna tolerate a black man moving into their neighborhood. Should there be a massive black exodus to Canada, it is highly likely that we'll have Canadian mounties in the news over having trampled over a young black man out for some maple and nutmeg. A cowardly decision not in the least is to flee your home from the fear of being shot dead someday by a trigger happy constable. God bless and make the future better for all of us. Continue protesting and don't break stuff.

Given how we treat aboriginals up here, I wouldn't hold out hope on that course of action. Canada likes to think of itself as tolerant, but we are not.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Grognan posted:

Wait wait, was this thread was started by some white rear end motherfucker that felt guilty over black things that he is doubling down like the embodiment of white guilt so hard he got a black panther avatar?

This is me, "the white rear end motherfucker"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J17G7Hi2Ss4

Now get the gently caress out and stop embarrassing yourself yet again.

It's like you WANT to be banned.

Captain Failcon posted:

You were already asked to leave.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

:yikes:

Um, I just came here to post this, which seems relevant, not to see a bunch of Berniebros yelling at the black posters in the black people thread. :psyduck:

So anyway:

https://twitter.com/Phil_Lewis_/status/796778397426778112

Captain Failcon
Jul 19, 2008

dill with it

negromancer posted:

This is me, "the white rear end motherfucker"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J17G7Hi2Ss4

Now get the gently caress out and stop embarrassing yourself yet again.

It's like you WANT to be banned.

You were already asked to leave.

Why did you post that video of me?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Um, I just came here to post this, which seems relevant, not to see a bunch of Berniebros yelling at the black posters in the black people thread. :psyduck:

So anyway:

I honestly and genuinely can not imagine how much utter loathing Barack Obama must have for pretty much all of America for this.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/steven_lebron/status/796826004111159296

:smith:

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I'm looking for some good news so besides the stuff that's only possibilities and still far in the future like bernie pushing Keith Ellison for the new DNC did anything good come from this drat election cycle.

e: I mean in the local election front, I'm only familiar with whats going on in NC.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Nov 11, 2016

Captain Failcon
Jul 19, 2008

dill with it

So anyway:

Why are you assuming everyone here is a "Bernie Bro?" No one here is wearing their political alignment on their sleeve here except for you.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

So anyway:

Maybe our next black president won't be raised under the protection of whiteness and think its okay to call black protesters "thugs".

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Sharkopath posted:

I'm looking for some good news so besides the stuff that's only possibilities and still far in the future like bernie pushing Keith Ellison for the new DNC did anything good come from this drat election cycle.

Weed legalization, both recreational and marijuana, moved forward in several states.

The first Somali-American legislator in American history was elected.

There are more woman in the Senate than ever before.

Small silver linings, but silver linings none the less.

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

Trabisnikof posted:

He isn't being loud or emotional.

Well he's not doing a great job at presenting since literally every time he responds he's just telling people to "gently caress off". You and others like there wolf and Sharkopath are the ones who continually jump into to actually respond to any post directed at him and actually participating in debate and discussion, which I'm thankful for because at least the points are being addressed and dialogues are being made in spite of negromaniacs wish to treat his thread like a youtube comments section since the election ended.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!

Captain Failcon posted:

Why did you post that video of me?

Uh no. Negromancer was actually bought an account and publicly invited to SA because of that video and now shitposts with the rest of us idiots for no readily apparent reason, but he is 100% that guy

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Eh I don't remember him calling protesters thugs ever. Condemned the destruction of property but don't remember that.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

DrPaper posted:

Well he's not doing a great job at presenting since literally every time he responds he's just telling people to "gently caress off". You and others like there wolf and Sharkopath are the ones who continually jump into to actually respond to any post directed at him and actually participating in debate and discussion, which I'm thankful for because at least the points are being addressed and dialogues are being made in spite of negromaniacs wish to treat his thread like a youtube comments section since the election ended.

Because this thread isn't for what you're looking to do.

This thread wasn't created to have dialogue about this discussion. There are other threads for that, which you have not respected.

Leave.

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

So anyway:

His other hand is even tensed out, just waiting for it to be over. This isn't a relaxed handshake, he literally can't wait to be able to stop interfacing with the man.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

DrPaper posted:

Let me say it then gooooooo awaaaaaaaay You were defending someone who is blatantly trolling this thread. Which means you are in the same boat as far as I'm concerned...

Mixodorian
Jan 26, 2009

Dexo posted:

Eh I don't remember him calling protesters thugs ever. Condemned the destruction of property but don't remember that.

It was about Baltimore when he said it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ml1LzRenH_Q

here is the clip so you don't have to look thru the whole speech.

Mixodorian fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Nov 11, 2016

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Dexo posted:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/theoval/2015/04/29/obama-white-house-baltimore-stephanie-rawlings-blake/26585143/

He tried top qualify it by saying he only described a small segment of the population but he did use the word.

Also poo poo negromancer I wish I could be as eloquent in Court as you were on the top of your head in the middle of the protest.

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

negromancer posted:

Because this thread isn't for what you're looking to do.

This thread wasn't created to have dialogue about this discussion. There are other threads for that, which you have not respected.

Leave.

negromancer posted:

What will be discussed here:

Men of Color

Last I checked, you were a man of color.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

DrPaper posted:

Last I checked, you were a man of color.

Goodbye.

Enjoy your break!

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Sharkopath posted:

It was a good election for women on the down ballot, including black women! http://theslot.jezebel.com/here-are-some-women-you-should-know-who-made-history-on-1788764645 Including Kamala Harris who is now the second black woman to serve as a senator (also the first Indian person) and Ilhan Omar a Somali-American and former refugee who was elected to the Minnesota state house.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I really wish people would come in and stop poo poo posting in here. It's bad enough the mods created these forum ghettos to 'contain' certain voices but even these aren't even safe.

Negromancer, Koalas March, Tiny Brontosaurus and many others have given white posters in here far more slack than they deserve. You can say an unintentionally insensitive question, apologize when your get your rear end checked for it, and they will acknowledge your apology. You can ask direct questions and they will answer if they are relevant.

Personally I'm glad we have this thread. I've learned a lot from it, and definitely want to continue to learn.

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

Dexo posted:

Which means you are in the same boat as far as I'm concerned...

That's a pretty weird leap to make. I just said negromancer was being rude and he told me to leave the thread, and then tried to claim I was white when I disagreed with his behavior. And he was being rude.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

DrPaper posted:

That's a pretty weird leap to make. I just said negromancer was being rude and he told me to leave the thread, and then tried to claim I was white when I disagreed with his behavior. And he was being rude.

We call people assholes when they are being assholes here. Sorry we aren't going to coddle you if you come in here enabling an rear end in a top hat.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

So, Kung Fu movies. I love Kung Fu movies and I notice there is seemingly a lot of love for Kung Fu movies shown in Black media. Is this just me noticing something because I'm into it, or is there is a disproportionate prevalence of references to these movies as compared to in other peoples media? If so, any thoughts on why, aside from them being awesome of course?

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
DrPaper, gently caress off.

Don't use my posts as a shield for your tone policing bullshit.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

DrPaper posted:

This isn't the thread for your silly grudge posting, enjoy your nice break, and don't come back.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

remusclaw posted:

So, Kung Fu movies. I love Kung Fu movies and I notice there is seemingly a lot of love for Kung Fu movies shown in Black media. Is this just me noticing something because I'm into it, or is there is a disproportionate prevalence of references to these movies as compared to in other peoples media? If so, any thoughts on why, aside from them being awesome of course?

That's a good question. I mean, the fandom was always there, even reaching back to the 60s and 70s.

I think that's because there was a lot of Asian and Black solidarity back then, on top of there being a LOT of parallels in the storytelling to Black resistance, of a peaceful group being invaded by those looking to subjugate them, and a person or people rising up to defend them.

Mixodorian posted:

Cuz Bruce Lee was a rare famous non white leading actor back in the day, his big movies dealt with rising above an oppressor like the Japanese, and Bruce Lee was always a righteous as virtuous character.

This too.

Also, Fist of Legend is the best kung-fu movie and this is not up for debate or discussion.

Fight me bro.

Mixodorian
Jan 26, 2009

remusclaw posted:

Cuz Bruce Lee was a rare famous non white leading actor back in the day, his big movies dealt with rising above an oppressor like the Japanese, and Bruce Lee was always a righteous as virtuous character.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

negromancer posted:

That's a good question. I mean, the fandom was always there, even reaching back to the 60s and 70s.

I think that's because there was a lot of Asian and Black solidarity back then, on top of there being a LOT of parallels in the storytelling to Black resistance, of a peaceful group being invaded by those looking to subjugate them, and a person or people rising up to defend them.

This too.

Also, Fist of Legend is the best kung-fu movie and this is not up for debate or discussion.

Fight me bro.

Yah it's passed down from those city theaters showing exploitation films and imported kung fu films together in the 70s and making lots of money off of it, and those fond memories just continued when they started re releasing on vhs, you got musicians and artists looking to it as both a fond nostalgia thing and it just still being cool as gently caress

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Sharkopath posted:

Yah it's passed down from those city theaters showing exploitation films and imported kung fu films together in the 70s and making lots of money off of it, and those fond memories just continued when they started re releasing on vhs, you got musicians and artists looking to it as both a fond nostalgia thing and it just still being cool as gently caress

Right.

I mean, I've gotten people who NEVER watch action movies into kung-fu movies by getting them to watch Fist of Legend or Ip Man.

Aint no way you can watch the final fight or the 10 vs 1 in Ip Man and not think that was cool as the gently caress.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Also as an inspiration its still totally visible, you got Ka doing an entire album drawing parallels between the stoicism of samurais in film and legend and his own struggles this year

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=It68tMocH8U

also this thundercat video i'm just posting cause I like it haha

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNCd_ERZvZM

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
If you are recommend kung-fu movies the real ones to show are 5 Elements Ninja and Disciples of the 36th Chamber

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

negromancer posted:

This too.

Fight me bro.

Fist of legend is classic. The most recent thing I loved was Chocolate, and film from Thailand about an autistic girl who basically had Taskmaster's power to just copy poo poo she saw. A lot of the best stuff these days is coming from different countries as Hong Kong cinema seems to have been bitten hard by the CG bug. But yeah, I had a really good friend in the Army who was my superior who basically spent all his time working out, watching Kung Fu movies and playing fighting games, and he was cool enough to let me tag along.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Go to the Wutangcollection youtube page and just... Check it out.

Necroskowitz
Jan 20, 2011

negromancer posted:

Fight me bro.

Pretty sure you just picked a fight with Luke Cage.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Sharkopath posted:

Also as an inspiration its still totally visible, you got Ka doing an entire album drawing parallels between the stoicism of samurais in film and legend and his own struggles this year

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=It68tMocH8U

also this thundercat video i'm just posting cause I like it haha

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNCd_ERZvZM

YES! Them Changes and that whole album are the poo poo.

And a lot of people forget there were black samurais.

Buschmaki posted:

If you are recommend kung-fu movies the real ones to show are 5 Elements Ninja and Disciples of the 36th Chamber

Guaranteed classics. Also Fearless Hyena, Iron Monkey, Once Upon a Time in China, and Police Story.

Flashpoint is really good, Gorgeous, along with SPD Killzone when thinking of recent movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mixodorian
Jan 26, 2009
I'm not big on anime or the tv in general but I've been watching Fist of the North Star with my friends when we have nothing to do and just smoke

poo poo is cold. Highly recommended.

• Locked thread