Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
http://www.psp-tv.com/r/NiteCrew
This poll is closed.
500562 49.92%
139 0.01%
153 0.02%
500888 49.95%
940 0.09%
Total: 1002682 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

100 degrees Calcium posted:

love means hailing satan on every page, not just on special pages and anniversaries.

:twisted:

edit: snipe 4 Satan hail hail hail HAIL

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

anime was right posted:

even if comey did that, that still leaves her at a coinflip against donald trump for the presidency.

so yeah, she hosed up.

sure

but you can still say "holy poo poo the director of the fbi just threw the election to his party" and be right

and like uh that has implications unto itself

Telephones
Apr 28, 2013

Grem posted:

God drat the Trump Presidential Library....

A repository for all the nation's finest smut. I'm down, I'm down.

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy
hahaha the director of the fbi rigged the election not tinfoil, thing that undeniably happened

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
it's not quite as simple as people switching to Trump

in Michigan Clinton was 300k down on Obama in 2012., but Trump was only 170k up on Romney. In Wisconsin Clinton was 230k down on Obama, and Trump got within 1000 votes of what Romney got. In Ohio Clinton was 380k down, Trump was 180k up. Similar in Iowa (Clinton down 160k, Trump up 80k)

if people switched from D in 2012 to R in 2016 then a lot of former R voters didn't bother at all (which is a real possibility)

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Battle Royale Baby posted:

Where in the Constitution does it mandate that the president needs a herd of reporters following him like the dogs they are everywhere he goes?

The people deserve to know

#watchtheswamp

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

sure

but you can still say "holy poo poo the director of the fbi just threw the election to his party" and be right

and like uh that has implications unto itself

agreedo, it's terrifying in its own right without in any way relieving the clinton folks from blame

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

FAUXTON posted:

The people deserve to know

#watchtheswamp

Fanboats for everybody!

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I feel like people get complacent when they think something is a sure thing.

I wonder if knowing what they know now, the people voting in swing states that wrote in fake candidates like Harambe or Jill Stein would still do the same.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Ron Swanson is a good man
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysmN0pBKxbw&t=20s

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I wonder if knowing what they know now, the people voting in swing states that wrote in fake candidates like Harambe or Jill Stein would still do the same.

When you bother to write-in and actually do a joke/protest vote, nothing would have convinced you, because you already think the system is a joke.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
Serious question: Is there any election post-mortem wherein the people who voted for Trump are in any way, at least marginally responsible for Trump winning?

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Those people are already idiots so no they wouldn't change their vote. They just go lol the election is dumb why do you care or try.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Slamhound posted:

Serious question: Is there any election post-mortem wherein the people who voted for Trump are in any way, at least marginally responsible for Trump winning?

No. What you need to know is that Trump voters are dumb, mindless animals easily led by the nose to make wide reaching decisions and what happened here was that the Democrats didn't give them enough treats. Trump gave them Trump Steaks which is why they barely voted him in over Clinton.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/BillKristol/status/796175078887227392

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

then again, hillary won the popular election and didn't get elected, which confirms their theory.

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

Nonsense posted:

When you bother to write-in and actually do a joke/protest vote, nothing would have convinced you, because you already think the system is a joke.

Yeah, or you're not at all invested with or engaged with a campaign because the candidate is bad at connecting a la Romney or Clinton

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Slamhound posted:

They are responsible, but it's incredibly depressing (and probably wrong) to think that it was an inevitable result and that nothing could have been done better by the Dems.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Slamhound posted:

No because they won't admit it. Other than that news story from Erie, PA earlier where everyone basically said 'poo poo better get better fast or we're holding him responsible'.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Plinkey posted:

No because they won't admit it. Other than that news story from Erie, PA earlier where everyone basically said 'poo poo better get better fast or we're holding him responsible'.

Lol like joe shitkicker from Erie PA who has probably voted for deregulation a dozen times is going to suddenly know who hosed him

Telephones
Apr 28, 2013

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

then again, hillary won the popular election and didn't get elected, which confirms their theory.

By a fraction of a percent. Against DJT.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

anime was right posted:

even if comey did that, that still leaves her at a coinflip against donald trump for the presidency.

so yeah, she hosed up.

Of course, the Democrats should have made sure that such a thing wouldn't even have mattered, because the margins should be big enough to protect against a October surprise in the first place (and they thought they are). They didn't. However, that doesn't change that it was incredibly close, close enough to make something like Comey's letter (which even loving Republicans and Trump supporters called a vile action to take) a deciding thing. Talking like Clinton lost 70 - 30 does only serve to muddle the water, like suddenly thinking about getting more rural voters on policies that might cost them their core constituency, instead of making sure the core constituency get a chance to turn out (voter suppression laws) and a reason to do so (a candidate that doesn't have so much garbage and is as inspiring as a dead log. First women to be elected President should have inspired a drat lot more than 47 % of white women voters for example).

Make sure you are once again seen as what the Democrats were until the Third Way: The party of the little guy. The little guy includes white rural voters (and there surely are a drat lot who aren't racist) the same as suburban blacks or inner city Hispanics. Add to this left and liberal young people and you again have your winning coalition. They simply left behind an important part of the coalition for their moneybank friends on Wall Street. There are three main groups: rural, suburban and urban. Democrats have urban. They are down with suburban and getting murdered with rural. They need to start making a better offer to either suburban again or to rural. Without alienating urban (which tends to be big on minorities). There are enough suburban (which are also often minorities) and rural voters who have no issue to be part of a coalition with minorities. Work for them, work with them, get them to see you as an alternative to the usual big business GOP again, get them to vote again.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Plinkey posted:

gently caress those idiots, manufacturing isn't coming back and they voted for Trump and validated all his racist xenophobic rhetoric. gently caress those idiots they can eat dirt. they don't have any empathy for the minorities that are getting poo poo on, so why should i show those hill folk any?

Idiot Kicker
Jun 13, 2007

Slamhound posted:

A lot of voters were swept up by an emotional campaign. Clinton was a legendarily bad candidate. I loathe Trump and still would never vote for her. (Non-swing state)
I have heard a lot of die hard conservatives give unsolicited views that are quite liberal, but team mentality and messaging drown any possible acknowledgment of that.
Americans want to believe they are right more than anything else. If you rail on the other party enough, you stroke that ego and you get those sweet, sweet EVs

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Telephones posted:

By a fraction of a percent. Against DJT.

By about 1.5 % when everything is counted.

Edit: Of course that margin is mostly from deep blue states, so basically meaningless in the current system.

Decius fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Nov 11, 2016

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

FAUXTON posted:

Lol like joe shitkicker from Erie PA who has probably voted for deregulation a dozen times is going to suddenly know who hosed him

Yeah, it's almost like hillary should have gotten behind the disenfranchised lower to middle class in the rust belt with something other than 'it'll be fine, don't worry, here's lady gaga'

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Idiot Kicker posted:

A lot of voters were swept up by an emotional campaign. Clinton was a legendarily bad candidate. I loathe Trump and still would never vote for her. (Non-swing state)
I have heard a lot of die hard conservatives give unsolicited views that are quite liberal, but team mentality and messaging drown any possible acknowledgment of that.
Americans want to believe they are right more than anything else. If you rail on the other party enough, you stroke that ego and you get those sweet, sweet EVs
So then...no.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Plinkey posted:

Yeah, it's almost like hillary should have gotten behind the disenfranchised lower to middle class in the rust belt with something other than 'it'll be fine, don't worry, here's lady gaga'

her lady gaga poo poo seemed like a way to win over millenials or something, which didn't work.

because we want some like, uh, i dunno, we don't want to get hosed under the same system thats been loving us too lol

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

"I understand that you millenials have been being buried under mountains of student loan debt, and also having trouble finding jobs after graduating. That's a big concern to me. To show how I connect with you, look at this hot sauce i carry in my purse. I'm 'with it' as you would say.'

Oiled and Ready
Oct 11, 2004

He wished it could be as respectable and orthodox as spying. But somehow in his hands the traditional tools and attitudes were always employed toward mean ends: cloak for a laundry sack, dagger to peel potatoes, dossiers to fill up dead Sunday afternoons ...
https://www.observer.com/2016/05/no-amount-of-working-class-whites-can-win-trump-the-white-house/

May 3rd

No Amount of Working-Class Whites Can Win Trump the White House

quote:

Only through a massive increase in the turnout and Republican performance of white working-class voters could Mr. Trump overcome these numbers. In 2012, it is estimated that white working-class voters gave 62 percent of their votes to Mr. Romney, but only turned out at a 57 percent rate.

Those numbers would have to rise to 66 percent and 61 percent to put Mr. Trump over the top in the electoral college—but remember, that assumes worst-case Democratic performance and turnout by black voters. Conversely, if black turnout and Democratic support remains closer to what it has been in recent years—say 90 percent for the Democrats at a 60 percent turnout rate, which would still represent a significant dropoff from the 66 percent black turnout of 2012—that white working class number from Trump would have to increase to 67 percent of the vote at 62 percent turnout. This is an extremely heavy lift.

I can't find the turnout yet, but he got exactly 67% of the white working class. Heavy lift for such small hands, but populism's quite the steroid.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Plinkey posted:

Valid point, which is why I assume joe shitkicker has to figure it out on his own

Strom Thermos
Sep 18, 2004

Your gimmick is being a 3 year old

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

the whole loving world is getting hosed by the current system of capitalism and the people suffering under it are looking for any drat way out

of course, the real answer is to boil the rich for soup, but that's not an easy answer to sell to people for a lot of reasons

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

NecroMonster posted:

the whole loving world is getting hosed by the current system of capitalism and the people suffering under it are looking for any drat way out

of course, the real answer is to boil the rich for soup, but that's not an easy answer to sell to people for a lot of reasons

Rich people are poor in nutritional value and have very stringy meat. Not good, not even in soup. The have a must that tastes like perfume and week old cum.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Plinkey posted:

What exactly did Trump offer the rust belt that was more coherent or specific than "it'll be fine, don't worry"?

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

"I understand that you millenials have been being buried under mountains of student loan debt, and also having trouble finding jobs after graduating. That's a big concern to me. To show how I connect with you, look at this hot sauce i carry in my purse. I'm 'with it' as you would say.'

Yeah, those strawmen constructed out of something never said or even implied are really useful.

Oiled and Ready posted:

https://www.observer.com/2016/05/no-amount-of-working-class-whites-can-win-trump-the-white-house/

May 3rd

No Amount of Working-Class Whites Can Win Trump the White House

I can't find the turnout yet, but he got exactly 67% of the white working class. Heavy lift for such small hands, but populism's quite the steroid.

No Amount of Working Class Whites Can Win Trump The White House If Clinton Gets About The Same Number Of Voters In Other Groups As Obama Did.

She didn't. She lost.

Decius fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Nov 11, 2016

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

NecroMonster posted:

yes let me vote for this orange millionaire that has done nothing but help himself surely he will help me and my rural ghost town because he said great things (without specifics). oh that racist, xenophbic poo poo he says? I don't care I don't know any of them folks.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

https://twitter.com/hillaryclinton/status/631538115514007553?lang=en

Idiot Kicker
Jun 13, 2007
Lady Gaga is the old person's best guess as to who is popular with the kids. It's like sitting backwards on a chair and using rap slang, or calling every console a Nintendo in 1993

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

the real funny part is that we don't even need to actually eat "all" of the rich

just eat the top thirty-fifty percent of them and everyone would be fine, hell, they would even still be pretty rich

• Locked thread