Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Admiral Ray posted:

So is there anything the Republicans did right? Like it's great to autopsy this election and go "Hmm, if the adults had only taken a bit more responsibility then maybe that childish party over there wouldn't have elected a fascist" but what strengths did the Republicans really bring?

none really, trump got lucky that tons of left voters preferred an unpredictable confidence trickster in office over a centrist status quo candidate so long as it blew up the establishment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

Admiral Ray posted:

So is there anything the Republicans did right? Like it's great to autopsy this election and go "Hmm, if the adults had only taken a bit more responsibility then maybe that childish party over there wouldn't have elected a fascist" but what strengths did the Republicans really bring?

Appealing to white nationalism, apparently.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

PKJC posted:

Straight white liberals being willing to take their ball and go home because 4 years of minorities being terrorized won't affect them personally is a long standing tradition

Proud tradition. Like can't you see how much your protest is interrupting my loving latte? How selfish can you be. You want me to protest with you? But why it's not my story to tell. Besides I've got this thing to do, kbye!

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Alec Bald Snatch posted:

and yet none of that mattered

Frankly I think that's a more damning condemnation of the American electorate than anything.

Like I don't like Hillary but all of the hyperbolic "she's evil and not Bernie" garbage right now from leftists is hilarious. Especially from people who will talk about how good Obama is when Obama really, really should be hated by leftists too.

I mean if you're at least a consistent leftist who hates both Hillary and Obama then ok I respect that but liking Obama and hating Hillary reeks of hypocritical unfairness.

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

Boon posted:

Haha nice.

"His magic coat-tails reverses gerrymandering, voter suppression, media coverage, and basically any reality that doesn't translate into the Dems winning"

Somebody sign this dude up as the next strategist, he's got ideas.

lol ok on the other hand, we have the strategies that resulted in the election of donald trump

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Alec Bald Snatch posted:

and yet none of that mattered

it's pretty disheartening to see, from the left, how much more obama's rock star charisma mattered than his actual policy stances. like we're really only this [ ] much better than the republicans in terms of voting for the guy with the biggest smile

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

RaySmuckles posted:

so what? that's the reality of what happened. fix it or keep losing.

She won the popular vote and had the VRA not been gutted or had Comey not done his last minute fuckery with Weiner's e-mails she would be president right now.

Donald Trump won with less votes than Mitt Romney got. He got very lucky. His margin was razor thin. It's not like he was super inspiring either (unless you're a pepe toucher or white supremacist).

Yeah, Hillary's not as inspiring as Obama. Neither is Bernie Sanders. Hillary got millions more votes in the Democratic primary. If he was such a great inspiring candidate then maybe he should have bothered to talk to a PoC before attempting to float the "rising tide lifts all boats," rhetoric that's hosed minorities for decades.

I know you have a desperate need to gauge in I-told-you-so-ism because you seem to have a grudge against Hillary, but you are pretending this election wasn't mega-hosed-up from the time DJT rode down the escalator. You're just accepting the idea that she's responsible for all this poo poo that was completely outside her control.

She made mistakes, but I find it hard to fault her when she won the popular vote and the only reason she lost comes down to a couple hundred thousand people casting their votes in very specific geographic areas.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Admiral Ray posted:

They put up a candidate that got people to the polls. Democrats didn't. I hate to admit it, but everyone in D&D who said Clinton was a poo poo candidate was totally right. She was.

edit: Whoa holy gently caress what the hell did I say to get this title? :psyduck: Seriously I don't even know what the hell it's referring to.

On Terra Firma fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Nov 11, 2016

SoggyBobcat
Oct 2, 2013

I'm not sure if this has been brought up yet, but isn't one of the end results of Democrats appealing to disaffected rural whites is to have some Blue Dogs elected again?

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
plausible case to be made that democratic infighting was because democratic party never had a chance to address the recession, given that obama was already the nominee when it occurred, and we've been kinda coasting since without addressing how to handle it as a party

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

On Terra Firma posted:

They put up a candidate that got people to the polls. Democrats didn't. I hate to admit it, but everyone in D&D who said Clinton was a poo poo candidate was totally right. She was.

she's a totally acceptable candidate, she won the popular vote. she just wasn't the flashiest, most gently caress you dad candidate to drive out the youth vote which gave obama crushing victories in 08 and 12

hillary got more votes than kerry in 04 and gore in 2000, but going back that far is already sensitive to population growth. still,

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

On Terra Firma posted:

edit: Whoa holy gently caress what the hell did I say to get this title? :psyduck:

Well, the Republican primary voters chose Trump, the RNC sure as poo poo didn't. They didn't think he was gonna win any more than the DNC.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Admiral Ray posted:

They refused to vote on a new supreme court justice for a year. That was pretty smart.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

kartikeya posted:

Rallying the base is really loving hard at present when so many of them chose to gently caress the rest over in favor of their egos and some fantasy of what could have been, and when they're still tripping over each other to rub what's about to happen in everyone's faces.

what do you want to hear?

the reality of what happened is hillary's people lost and they did it in a way that upset and alienated a lot of people. its up to them to swallow their pride, admit they were wrong, and that they lost.

this reaction didn't come from no where. hillary's people pissed a lot of people off for literally nothing. its up to them to make things right. whether you like it or not, that's the situation.

maybe the people that just lost the election should be responding by asking "okay, what did we do wrong and how do we do better next time" instead of fighting for their pride that just caused the damage they're so callously blaming on everyone else

Boon posted:

Bernie promised that - but that's the rub - there was no way for him to deliver even assuming he did win (I don't make that assumption).

deliver doesn't always mean success. it means fighting tooth and nail even if it ends in failure. visibility and optics are just as important. we alway lament at how die-hard conservatives are. where are our die-hard liberals?

Lightning Knight posted:

This is also true. I am of the belief we would have won NC and Florida if not for effective Republican voter suppression.

Here's another thing I gotta ask: Democrats have run on strong platforms to help poor white people and minorities before and failed to enact that policy because of a lack of total control of the government. People abandoned the party in droves when Obama didn't magically fix everything after 2008, to our detriment in 2010.

What will happen when we run on unicorns and fairy dust and then fail to deliver again because it's not that easy? The last time we ran a populist he didn't immediately give us full communism now and it killed the party.

obama didn't just lose because he failed. he lost voters because it didn't look like he was even trying. it looked like he was capitulating left and right and so people gave up on the dream he promised. later obama realized this and fought a lot harder, but it was too late. 2010 had already happened and that just further stymied his progress which resulted in people becoming more disillusioned.

boner confessor posted:

if you'd rather increase the odds of the republican winning because you didn't work within the party system and you're mad you didn't get your way then the party is better off without you, to be honest

politics is about more than your feelings about the candidate, it's about compromise and taking one for the team. and if you're not willing to do that then you can't whine when you're cut out of the conversation

clinton was a continuation of obama. if you were cool with obama but you thought clinton was too icky/corrupt/establishment then congrats, you're fickle and not really worth catering to

this is exactly the kind of attitude that just ushered donald trump into the white house. people want a democratic party that actually fights for their beliefs. the democrats have been horrible at catering to the established desires of their electorate: financial regulation, less war, ending the national security state, national health care, economic inequality, fighting lobbyist influence and corruption. where are the die-hard democrats fighting publicly and openly for these things?

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Admiral Ray posted:

trump did a lot of rallies in east bumfuck and dogpatch which undoubtedly helped boost his performance in the sticks

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

SoggyBobcat posted:

I'm not sure if this has been brought up yet, but isn't one of the end results of Democrats appealing to disaffected rural whites is to have some Blue Dogs elected again?

Yeah the fifty state strategy produces a lot of really, really lovely conservative Democrats. It's why Obama's first term was such a disaster, we only controlled Congress on paper.

ErIog posted:

She won the popular vote and had the VRA not been gutted or had Comey not done his last minute fuckery with Weiner's e-mails she would be president right now.

Donald Trump won with less votes than Mitt Romney got. He got very lucky. His margin was razor thin. It's not like he was super inspiring either (unless you're a pepe toucher or white supremacist).

Yeah, Hillary's not as inspiring as Obama. Neither is Bernie Sanders. Hillary got millions more votes in the Democratic primary. If he was such a great inspiring candidate then maybe he should have bothered to talk to a PoC before attempting to float the "rising tide lifts all boats," rhetoric that's hosed minorities for decades.

I know you have a desperate need to gauge in I-told-you-so-ism because you seem to have a grudge against Hillary, but you are pretending this election wasn't mega-hosed-up from the time DJT rode down the escalator. You're just accepting the idea that she's responsible for all this poo poo that was completely outside her control.

She made mistakes, but I find it hard to fault her when she won the popular vote and the only reason she lost comes down to a couple hundred thousand people casting their votes in very specific geographic areas.

I largely agree with this assessment except that I do think in hindsight that we would've been better off with Bernie. I don't however think he would've done materially better because there's about a million different factors we can't account for.

boner confessor posted:

it's pretty disheartening to see, from the left, how much more obama's rock star charisma mattered than his actual policy stances. like we're really only this [ ] much better than the republicans in terms of voting for the guy with the biggest smile

I'd argue there isn't a difference really.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

RaySmuckles posted:

this is exactly the kind of attitude that just ushered donald trump into the white house. people want a democratic party that actually fights for their beliefs. the democrats have been horrible at catering to the established desires of their electorate: financial regulation, less war, ending the national security state, national health care, economic inequality, fighting lobbyist influence and corruption. where are the die-hard democrats fighting publicly and openly for these things?

lol at you framing yourself as the majority when hillary won the popular vote. there are plenty of people who thought that hillary fought for their beliefs, it just wasn't you. and you're stomping your feet in the fringe left minority saying that if only you had been waited on more you would have bothered to engage in party solidarity. sorry rear end in a top hat, if you don't play the game you don't win the prize, and there's a much longer history of youth leftists not turning out because they don't get exactly what they want

if you don't bother to vote for the dems when they need it, then you don't get to complain that the dems can't enact your pet policies. and because of your tantrum the complete opposite team gets to make policy for the next term. thanks a lot, douchebag

LunarShadow
Aug 15, 2013

negromancer posted:

Especially since black people have to deal with long term unemployment, have to deal with it for longer periods, and at higher rates.

But hey, sell everyone else down the river for jobs that won't ever come back!

Of course white people are good at selling black people down river.

kartikeya
Mar 17, 2009

PKJC posted:

Straight white liberals being willing to take their ball and go home because 4 years of minorities being terrorized won't affect them personally is a long standing tradition

They took their ball and went home but they're back, they're back baby! They're gonna lead the party now that you've all learned your lesson about not heeding their super wisdom, and we'll all follow them to sunshine and rainbows and totally forget that they straight up went 'I don't really care if you suffer and die' to everyone else.

You know, I really don't think Bernie Sanders would agree that the shitlords who sat out on Tuesday should be the ones leading the party, funnily enough. They abandoned him too.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

boner confessor posted:

his being the only guy who apparently can run a competent campaign seems more disheartening

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Well, part of the problem with fighting openly against economic inequality is that it takes money. A lot.

Labor doesn't have it. People don't have it (good luck replicating Bernie's fundraising for Senate and House races and local elections). So who has it? The people most effected by your calls.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

Admiral Ray posted:

Well, the Republican primary voters chose Trump, the RNC sure as poo poo didn't. They didn't think he was gonna win any more than the DNC.

DON'T YOU KNOW Hillary actually rigged *both* primaries, duh.

PKJC
May 7, 2009

RaySmuckles posted:

Can't help but notice a really important category of issues that you somehow think isn't relevant to the established democratic electorate.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
i really am doubting that far left greens and unreformed sanderistias even understand how representative democracy works, or the role of compromise in passing legislation

Alec Bald Snatch posted:

his being the only guy who apparently can run a competent campaign seems more disheartening

agreed that hillary 16 ran a bad campaign but i dont think that stroking off unrealistic far leftists was their biggest sin, if anything they should have gone more local and centrist

SoggyBobcat
Oct 2, 2013

Lightning Knight posted:

Yeah the fifty state strategy produces a lot of really, really lovely conservative Democrats. It's why Obama's first term was such a disaster, we only controlled Congress on paper.
To be honest, Blue Dogs are probably superior to whatever Tea Party shitstain they'll be running against. Still, I remember a lot of people being glad that Blue Dogs were dead, but if the Democrats are really going to go down this path, then they'll be making a comeback, and people should probably prepare for that.

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

boner confessor posted:

i really am doubting that far left greens and unreformed sanderistias even understand how representative democracy works, or the role of compromise in passing legislation

agreed that hillary 16 ran a bad campaign but i dont think that stroking off unrealistic far leftists was their biggest sin, if anything they should have gone more local and centrist

Ask the Freedom Caucus, controlling the House, Senate, and Presidency, about the role of compromise in electoral success imo

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Alec Bald Snatch posted:

Yeah like I said we're really, really hosed as a party for the next eight years:

* We don't have anybody to run. Most people who already have seats are hated by the progressive wing for being "establishment" (seriously tho the adoption of alt-right rhetoric like establishment, globalist, etc. needs to stop. Globalist is a dogwhistle for Jewish people and it's especially inappropriate), and those that aren't don't have any national profile.
* The DNC is widely hated and in total disarray. We've been completely routed and there's no meaningful organization.
* There's little to no competitive districts and states to run in between gerrymandering and voter suppression.
* The two main wings of the party, progressives and business Democrats, utterly hate each other and won't compromise because they don't have substantial overlapping interests in economic policy.

Boon posted:

Well, part of the problem with fighting openly against economic inequality is that it takes money. A lot.

Labor doesn't have it. People don't have it (good luck replicating Bernie's fundraising for Senate and House races and local elections). So who has it? The people most effected by your calls.

And because business Democrats have all of the money, the progressive wing won't really be able to just take over and run the table. But the business wing can't win elections anymore. Which is why we're hosed.

PKJC posted:

Can't help but notice a really important category of issues that you somehow think isn't relevant to the established democratic electorate.

Hmmmmmmmmm.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

ErIog posted:

this whole line of thinking needs to die.

she lost millions of former democratic voters that lovingly embraced obama. trump lost voters too and still won. hillary was a risky candidate going in to the election and we all knew it. you people are refusing to accept it. you LOST to trump. you candidate didn't bring people to the polls. that's your fault.

boner confessor posted:

lol at you framing yourself as the majority when hillary won the popular vote. there are plenty of people who thought that hillary fought for their beliefs, it just wasn't you. and you're stomping your feet in the fringe left minority saying that if only you had been waited on more you would have bothered to engage in party solidarity. sorry rear end in a top hat, if you don't play the game you don't win the prize, and there's a much longer history of youth leftists not turning out because they don't get exactly what they want

if you don't bother to vote for the dems when they need it, then you don't get to complain that the dems can't enact your pet policies. and because of your tantrum the complete opposite team gets to make policy for the next term. thanks a lot, douchebag

hillary lost. you have no leg to stand on. if things were different they'd be different, but they're not. the reality is the democratic party needs more voters and those voters want different things. be upset all you want.

you guys played the game perfectly and you still didn't get the prize either. i don't know how to explain to you that the game you're playing is flawed and that the democrats need to make real changes to fix the state of their party. reject the election all you want. ignore the voters that felt alienated. its not going to help.

we either move forward together, or we keep losing

PKJC
May 7, 2009

kartikeya posted:

They took their ball and went home but they're back, they're back baby! They're gonna lead the party now that you've all learned your lesson about not heeding their super wisdom, and we'll all follow them to sunshine and rainbows and totally forget that they straight up went 'I don't really care if you suffer and die' to everyone else.

You know, I really don't think Bernie Sanders would agree that the shitlords who sat out on Tuesday should be the ones leading the party, funnily enough. They abandoned him too.

Yeah if I was Bernie I'd be pretty depressed and feeling betrayed by my Bros. I'm glad he's being quick to push for new leadership in the DNC to hopefully get stronger leftist voices in positions of power in the party apparatus.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

RaySmuckles posted:

you guys played the game perfectly and you still didn't get the prize either. i don't know how to explain to you that the game you're playing is flawed and that the democrats need to make real changes to fix the state of their party. reject the election all you want. ignore the voters that felt alienated. its not going to help.

we either move forward together, or we keep losing

You keep framing this as "you Democrats." Bernie wasn't even a Democrat until he ran.

Progressives will not gain power until they engage with the party system. So long as we view ourselves as a separate entity that is special, unique, and ideologically pure we will get nothing.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

On Terra Firma posted:

edit: Whoa holy gently caress what the hell did I say to get this title? :psyduck: Seriously I don't even know what the hell it's referring to.

There's been one really salty dude giving out "ironic racist" or whatever redtexts since at least the QCS thread about D&D moderation, and another one giving out all these cropped anime porn avs.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

RaySmuckles posted:

shitthatdidnthappen.tweet

gently caress off man.

I've already seen poo poo like this happen, in real life. You're free to say anecdote isn't data or whatever but there is definitely a post-election effect happening all over the country and it's making assholes come out in droves, in ways I've never seen before.

They remain anecdotes until they happen to you or somebody you care about. I can't speak to this incident but given the aggregate it's pretty safe to assume these things are real.

kartikeya
Mar 17, 2009

RaySmuckles posted:

what do you want to hear?

the reality of what happened is hillary's people lost and they did it in a way that upset and alienated a lot of people. its up to them to swallow their pride, admit they were wrong, and that they lost.

I'll tell you what I'd like to hear, I'd like to hear one of you shits say something like 'I voted for Hillary Clinton in spite of my bruised ego because I recognized the utter tsunami of poo poo that would be unleashed on the least powerful in our country if Donald Trump won with a Republican Congress and a vacant Supreme Court seat'. Not 'you need to swallow your pride and admit you were wrong and my candidate was better and you lost in part because I didn't feel it was important enough to actually help people'. There were some early fellow Bernie folks who said this in these threads and then said 'Bernie was better' who loving got it. Not many, but some.

'Hillary's people' didn't lose. Everyone did. Every loving one of us. We all lose, but no, gotta bow your head to people who claimed to support the democratic socialist and then said 'gently caress You Got Mine' when it mattered. I voted for the old man and then I actually loving listened to him when he lost.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Lightning Knight posted:

This is also true. I am of the belief we would have won NC and Florida if not for effective Republican voter suppression.

in nc, clinton outperformed obama in urban counties which were the targets of the worst suppression tactics and trump severely underperformed romney

she lost all the suburban and rural counties by 25-30% where democrats typically only lose by 10-15

the dem gubernatorial candidate won, barring a wacky recount, running the exact opposite of clinton's campaign asking people if they've been on the receiving end of the incumbent governor's claims of economic recovery

Suckthemonkey
Jun 18, 2003

SoggyBobcat posted:

I don't think Rust Belt is exactly the same as rural. Former industrial laborers and their families are not farmers. They support strong worker rights and protections, higher salaries and benefits, and striking out against multinational corporations. Blue Dogs never particularly supported labor as far as I recall.

In any event, even if you got a bunch of Blue Dogs in, it'd still be better than what we currently have. They're lovely, but they'll give you the House and/or Senate, meaning that judges get appointed and legislation is a possibility. It may get watered down tremendously, but it can get passed. See ACA, Dodd-Frank, and the stimulus. You can argue whether the bad from the first was really worth the (nonetheless incredible) good that came (especially before SCOTUS cut the Medicaid expansion), but having the last two was unequivocally better than not. In a choice between a Blue Dog and a Republican, you choose the Blue Dog every time.

Xequecal
Jun 14, 2005

Nevvy Z posted:

Just because it wasn't their primary concern doesn't mean half the country didn't sign off on all the racist poo poo Trump said

Maybe they decided that, "Bernie Sanders, except he's a racist" was preferable to, "Mitt Romney, except she's a SJW."

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Alec Bald Snatch posted:

in nc, clinton outperformed obama in urban counties which were the targets of the worst suppression tactics and trump severely underperformed romney

she lost all the suburban and rural counties by 25-30% where democrats typically only lose by 10-15

the dem gubernatorial candidate won, barring a wacky recount, running the exact opposite of clinton's campaign asking people if they've been on the receiving end of the incumbent governor's claims of economic recovery

Interesting. Also lmao gently caress everybody who voted for him and not for Clinton what a bunch of assholes.

Xequecal posted:

Maybe they decided that, "Bernie Sanders, except he's a racist" was preferable to, "Mitt Romney, except she's a SJW."

Anyone who ironically says "SJW" is an rear end in a top hat, gently caress off dude.

Also this revision of history for Hillary to be this pseudo-Republican Blue Dog who was evil and wanted to destroy progressivism is hilarious. You want to know what an actual Blue Dog neoliberal candidate looks like look at Bill Clinton. Hillary ran on free loving college for poor and middle class people like what the gently caress is wrong with you calling her female Mitt Romney lmao.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

On Terra Firma posted:

Have you visited the Negrotown thread recently? Might be why if so.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

RaySmuckles posted:

christ people, relax. abortion is not going to be banned at the federal level. that's loving ridiculous.

first there have to be court cases that get appealed, then run through the circuit courts, then be narrow enough to apply to roe v wade and have the supreme court rule to completely overturn roe v wade. then the house and the senate would have to agree to legislation without the dems filibustering it, and then it has to go to a manhattenite with a history of supporting abortion to sign into law the most infamous piece of legislation in modern history. its a fantasy

This also requires Trump to replace 2 SCOTUS seats, rather than just 1. Scalia was a conservative shitheel, so appointing someone just as bad would just be the status quo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

RaySmuckles posted:

hillary lost. you have no leg to stand on. if things were different they'd be different, but they're not. the reality is the democratic party needs more voters and those voters want different things. be upset all you want.

Bernie couldn't even win over a majority of Democrats. You have no leg to stand on. If things were different they'd be different, but they're not. There was a primary. The reality is the Bernie coalition needed to convince more voters. Be upset all you want, but he was a bad candidate.

You see how easy it is to play this game and how insufferably stupid it is? These are just reheated Bernie tears you're crying now instead of before.

poo poo is hosed. Situation is mega unfortunate. Yet you seem to have a very real need to point the finger at Hillary Clinton instead of people in 'burbs who thought Trump wasn't really racist or didn't care.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Nov 11, 2016

• Locked thread