Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

Gibfender posted:

I've pencilled in all of these, thanks. This is the honeymoon so i'm sure the wife will be thrilled...

My wife was just giving me a little grief the other day about how long I spent doing a tour of the USS Missouri while she was stuck at the gift shop. It didn't occur to me at the time but that was during our honeymoon and it was over 10 years ago. You have been warned.

Does anyone have any recommendations of air museums or similar anywhere in North America which are somehow co-located with something else your average wife might like, or have a really good mall or day spa nearby or something? :v: Maybe if I do two of those for every one where I have to rush around while she's staring at her phone I'll get away with it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Buttcoin purse posted:

My wife was just giving me a little grief the other day about how long I spent doing a tour of the USS Missouri while she was stuck at the gift shop. It didn't occur to me at the time but that was during our honeymoon and it was over 10 years ago. You have been warned.

Does anyone have any recommendations of air museums or similar anywhere in North America which are somehow co-located with something else your average wife might like, or have a really good mall or day spa nearby or something? :v: Maybe if I do two of those for every one where I have to rush around while she's staring at her phone I'll get away with it?

Of course you've got the Air & Space in DC (the Udvar Hazy Annex is amazing but it's on its own), with the Metro offering her the ability to hit Pentagon City or Penn Quarter for pretty much any food she might ever care to eat or try, as well as the International Spy Museum in close proximity (the tickets/'experiences' are semi-pricey). The Intrepid in NYC, which should be pretty self-explanatory as to what she could get up to there...

...I can't think of anything she could get up to in Dayton for the Air Force Museum at Wright-Patterson other than you buying her a ticket to someplace fun and *you* go there on your own.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

For people who's browser can translate, I found a huge multi-part series on the B-36, in Hungarian.

e: dude has assembled a great series of photos, even if the auto-translation is putting you aside.

Nebakenezzer fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Nov 10, 2016

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Of course you've got the Air & Space in DC (the Udvar Hazy Annex is amazing but it's on its own), with the Metro offering her the ability to hit Pentagon City or Penn Quarter for pretty much any food she might ever care to eat or try, as well as the International Spy Museum in close proximity (the tickets/'experiences' are semi-pricey). The Intrepid in NYC, which should be pretty self-explanatory as to what she could get up to there...

...I can't think of anything she could get up to in Dayton for the Air Force Museum at Wright-Patterson other than you buying her a ticket to someplace fun and *you* go there on your own.

Lol women don't do things by themselves.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Captain Apollo posted:

Lol women don't do things by themselves.

Of course not, the hive mind is always with them. Or the person in a relationship actually knows how to deal with differing interests.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!
Jesus Christ goons

unless your new wife is also seriously into it DON'T DO NERD poo poo ON YOUR HONEYMOON.

Do honeymoon stuff on your honeymoon.

Archer posted:

Woman: "Oh. My. God. I can't believe I just did that. You know, I'm not like that, I don't just--"
Archer: "Come on, don't do that. Don't ruin your post-coital bliss with a bunch of misplaced guilt."
Woman: "How is it misplaced? I'm on my honeymoon!(sobs)"
Archer: "Well, at least you got a honeymoon. My fiancee was murdered."
Woman: "Wait, what?"
Archer: "Yeah. Oh, and you married an idiot."
Woman: "*gasp*"
Archer: "I mean, who plays thirty-six holes of golf on the first day of his honeymoon? Because not to...whatever, but that can't bode well for your marriage."
Woman: "Get the hell out, you piece of poo poo!"

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

My uncle lost his DJI in the ocean (eaten by a freak wave) and his home&contents insurance covered it.
His accidental breakage premiums are probably higher than $250pa though.

(Amazingly some tourists found it a few months later. He asked them to mail him the SD card and told them to keep the DJI (probably worthless) and the GoPro (still worked.)

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

Buttcoin purse posted:

The Naval Aviation Museum in Pensacola Florida is one of the best air museums in the country, and is half an hour from one of the best beaches in the country, Wifes like beaches. Plus tons and tons of tourist shopping crap, and not too far from the Gulf Shores Zoo where you can pet baby tigers for like 50$ an hour (call ahead, they don't always have baby tigers, but if they do, worth your money. Otherwise, they have lemur, sloth, and kangaroo encounters, which are much cheaper and a reasonable consolation prize for many wifes). Also some pretty decent hiking and history stuff. Not Unimaginably far from New Orleans, but probably more than a day-trip.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

Slo-Tek posted:

Not Unimaginably far from New Orleans, but probably more than a day-trip.

If you get an early enough start, it's definitely day-trippable.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

kill me now posted:

Jesus Christ goons

unless your new wife is also seriously into it DON'T DO NERD poo poo ON YOUR HONEYMOON.

Do honeymoon stuff on your honeymoon.

I've never had a girlfriend and even I know that poo poo.

Vitamin J
Aug 16, 2006

God, just tell me to shut up already. I have a clear anti-domestic bias and a lack of facts.
I'm on my honeymoon now and she accompanied me to the National Transport and Toy Museum, New Zealand Air Force museum, let me take a aerobatic flight in a Victa Airtourer, went to a couple maritime museums and Sunday we're both taking our own Evo for a spin at Rally Drive NZ. Sorry for your bad luck guys.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
drat. That's where the good one went.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Vitamin J posted:

I'm on my honeymoon now and she accompanied me to the National Transport and Toy Museum, New Zealand Air Force museum, let me take a aerobatic flight in a Victa Airtourer, went to a couple maritime museums and Sunday we're both taking our own Evo for a spin at Rally Drive NZ. Sorry for your bad luck guys.

Oh man, you almost had it but then you went and posted on somethingawful.com on your honeymoon.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Gosh, if only my wife didn't suck.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Man faces $9000 (AU) fine for using quadrocopter to pick up sausage

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
Can confirm the naval aviation museum is the tits. Even my wife liked it (it wasn't on our honeymoon, tho)

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous
I met my wife at an airshow :c00l:

vessbot fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Nov 11, 2016

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

For a second I thought it was insurance from drones. :tinfoil:

Vitamin J posted:

drat, this guy is a bad-rear end.

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal
Oops.

https://twitter.com/airlivenet/status/797052811842351105/photo/1

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

vessbot posted:

I met my wife at an airshow :c00l:

Truly the promised land.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

My wife is an actual airplane :c00lbert:

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Did someone say anthromorphic airplane pregnancy?

I can't bring myself to post it. Someone more deplorable can do the honors.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

um excuse me posted:

Did someone say anthromorphic airplane pregnancy?

I can't bring myself to post it. Someone more deplorable can do the honors.

Beautiful
Human
Submarines Airplanes

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Finger Prince posted:

My wife is an actual airplane :c00lbert:

So that's you?

Moon Slayer posted:

Good news! I finally remembered the name of the author's previous webcomic!

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Jealous Cow posted:

Beautiful
Human
Submarines Airplanes

This includes civilian air so don't forget the big beautiful wingspan crowd.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Cat Mattress posted:

So that's you?

I uhhhh...
:yikes:

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

My money is on the plucky underdog tow truck.

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal
Crikey, I think the runway could do with a sweep...

https://youtu.be/RYVsotySupE

Edit- someone help me properly embed a YT clip! I've followed the instructions and used the video tags but it still showed as a link! :negative:

monkeytennis fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Nov 12, 2016

block51
Jun 18, 2002

Ghetto? Yes, But I still shop there.

monkeytennis posted:

https://youtu.be/RYVsotySupE

Edit- someone help me properly embed a YT clip! I've followed the instructions and used the video tags but it still showed as a link! :negative:

Holy poo poo! That was a heck of a video.

Also, if you try pasting the whole "real" url and not the shortened version, it is automatically turned into video link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYVsotySupE

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

block51 posted:

Also, if you try pasting the whole "real" url and not the shortened version, it is automatically turned into video link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYVsotySupE

Thanks I did wonder where I was going wrong! :tipshat:

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

C-5s are pretty nuts

Here's a good short field departure: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1q46TmZ9T0

The best part is the classic C-5 circumstances, as explained in the comments

quote:

AFAIK, it was empty. They landed at KBFI because the runway at their planned destination (KTCM) was unavailable. After landing at KBFI they experienced mechanical problems and the airplane stayed there for several days awaiting repairs. In the meantime a convoy of trucks arrived from McChrod to offload what was rumored to be some sort of munitions.

post the c-5est thing u got

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Prop Wash posted:

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
C-5's without that weird buzzy-chunky noise on the old engines just seems wrong.

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

monkeytennis posted:

Isn't that what they're doing?

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Prop Wash posted:

A C-5 in its natural state.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Party Plane Jones posted:

A C-5 in its natural state.

Guys, I'm concerned.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Duke Chin posted:

C-5's without that weird buzzy-chunky noise on the old engines just seems wrong.

Well, the engines on the new models are more powerful and more fuel efficiWAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfOGG_4iS4o&t=219s

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

TF39s :love: The engine that legit looks like something that should power a podracer

and for :lol: scale:

Previa_fun fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Nov 13, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
Caution, aircraft crossing

(Swedish Air Force SIGINT Canberra, think the airfield is Barkarby which is now long closed)